• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slow PS3 download speeds

Withnail

People with slow speeds over wifi should try disabling media sharing, as it bogs down the connection. No idea why Sony have never fixed that.

PSN content is hosted by Akamai who are a professional and widely used hosting company so no innate reasons for the speeds to be slower than on other services. However I think PS3 just doesn't play nicely with some routers.

Derrick01

Banned
Took me over 8 hours the other day to download the Mass Effect 2 full game trial which is 12gb, and another 30 minutes to install it.

12gb on steam takes me about 2 1/2-3 hours using the same wi-fi and it's even further away from the router than my ps3 is. I've given up trying to figure out why since it's been like this the entire generation even with newer model ps3s.

Not really. I have a direct connection to my PS3 and it still suffers from slow download speeds on a 24mb downstream.

Slim ps3

There are other factors to consider, like positioning and capacity of the data centers, but if the same console has much worst speeds over wifi then it does over wired then the problem isn't PSN servers, it's either the console or the routers, since I have two routers, I'm gonna say it's the console.

Using a wired connection will fix that problem, even if you end up having another one.

Norml

I know a lot of people have this problem -- I have too, occasionally, mostly during peak hours -- but the vast majority of the time my PS3 (connected over Wi-fi) comes close to maxing out my bandwidth. Average download speed tends to fluctuate between 1 and 1.3 MB/s, which is pretty respectable for 802.11g. Not to mention, the router is on a different floor from the console.

It just sucks that it's so uneven for many folks.

This is what I seem to always get with my 60gb over wifi. My pc on wifi also barely ever goes faster when downloading things unless I use IDM and even then it only hits 2mb sometimes.

snap0212

PS3 downloads are between 1.3-1.5MB/s for me. They're not as fast as they could be but neither is Xbox Live. There's absolutely no way XBL downloads are maxing out my connection, and that's a paid service. Both consoles are in the DMZ, both wired.

Chemo

This problem is assuredly a network issue, not a PS3/PSN problem. I get crazy speeds from PSN at all times, on both my launch 60GB and my slim. But my shit's all set up right, of course.

UraMallas

I've always had problems, too. Downloads take days (seriously) but I can play online fine and my Hulu and Netflix stream fine. I don't get it. I've tried just about everything but this DMZ thing. I don't actually know how to give a devise it's own IP address.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
This problem is assuredly a network issue, not a PS3/PSN problem. I get crazy speeds from PSN at all times, on both my launch 60GB and my slim. But my shit's all set up right, of course.

I'd love to believe you, but I've had this issue since 2007 with:

two different ISPs, in different parts of the state (have moved 4 times)
with multiple routers (even tried connecting directly to my cable modems)
DMZed, not DMZed (ports forwarded correctly)
Wired, not wired.

Sporran

I've always had problems, too. Downloads take days (seriously) but I can play online fine and my Hulu and Netflix stream fine. I don't get it. I've tried just about everything but this DMZ thing. I don't actually know how to give a devise it's own IP address.

In essense find the ip address of your ps3 from the system info, usually looks something like 192.168.1.***

Log in to your router and look for the DMZ section. You can nominate the internal IP, the 192.168.1.*** address to the dmz. All traffic is then passed to your ps3.

There are other things to think about including static ips but most routers apply a lease time to the ip addresses so it becomes somewhat sticky.

KageMaru

Why does it seem like we get a new thread about this every 2 or 3 weeks?

My shit is set up right and my PSN downloads are noticeably slower than my PC or Live downloads.

It's probably related to how close you are to a server more than anything else.

vazel

Banned
Why does it seem like we get a new thread about this every 2 or 3 weeks?

My shit is set up right and my PSN downloads are noticeably slower than my PC or Live downloads.

It's probably related to how close you are to a server more than anything else.
Because many people keep misunderstanding this problem. This isn't about how close you are to a server or the CDN being swamped at peak times. This is about wifi being significantly slower than when connected with ethernet. It's an issue with the NIC being finicky on some PS3 models.

It'll be interesting to see if the OP switches to wired if he then gets better speeds.

phants

Adding to the dataz...

In New Zealand, the speed I get on PS3 downloads is unbelievably slow. I'm wired up to a cable modem (recognized as pretty much the fastest home ISP / connection setup in the country) and it takes an absolute age to download anything - be it system patches, game patches, demos, etc. The 360 connected to the same hub & router combo near instantaneously downloads anything you point it at, whereas the PS3 is so slow that - combined with the (extremely high) frequency of updates required for that platform - I barely use it. If I have friends coming over to play anything on that platform, I'll try to boot it up the day before to make sure I have the latest patches etc for the system and anything we might play, as in the past i've been caught short and it took so long to patch up (PS3 + Singstar) that my friends had literally gone home (dinner, drinks, a movie) before it was done.

So yeah, it's not super awesome happy fun tiems from here. I doubt it's my network as I'm yet to meet a local PS3 gamer who has a different experience.

KageMaru

Because many people keep misunderstanding this problem. This isn't about how close you are to a server or the CDN being swamped at peak times. This is about wifi being significantly slower than when connected with ethernet. It's an issue with the NIC being finicky on some PS3 models.

So why are downloads noticeably slower on PSN than my PC (which is WiFi half the time) or my 360? Both my 360 and PS3 are hooked up with cables BTW, no WiFi here for my gaming consoles.

I'm not complaining as I generally don't bitch about the faults of these consoles, but there has to be some kind of reason for this type of behavior.

vazel

Banned
So why are downloads noticeably slower on PSN than my PC (which is WiFi half the time) or my 360? Both my 360 and PS3 are hooked up with cables BTW, no WiFi here for my gaming consoles.

I'm not complaining as I generally don't bitch about the faults of these consoles, but there has to be some kind of reason for this type of behavior.
If you're getting slow speeds on wired then that's probably just what your local CDN is giving you. I've yet to see good evidence that the PS3 NIC issues affect ethernet.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Yes, that's what I have to do. Both consoles have a static IP set and that IP is set to be the DMZ in my router. Never had any problems with NAT on either platform that way.

If you have static IP's you can't have to mac address sharing the same static IP.

Do you just change it on your router manually each time you make the cable change?

KageMaru

If you're getting slow speeds on wired then that's probably just what your local CDN is giving you. I've yet to see good evidence that the PS3 NIC issues affect ethernet.

Never said it was the PS3's NIC, but it has to be something when Live and my PC offer better speeds consistently.

If you have static IP's you can't have to mac address sharing the same static IP.

Do you just change it on your router manually each time you make the cable change?

If they're not connected at the same time you can. Static IP doesn't need to be set by the routers DHCP. You can set a manual IP on the consoles.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member

Some routers let you do static IP on a physical ethernet jack basis rather than tying to a MAC

EDIT: also what metalmurphy said

snap0212

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I'm no expert when it comes to networks, but here's what I did:

On the consoles: I told my PS3 to always grab the IP 192.168.178.25, I told my Xbox to do the same. Both these things can be done on the console.

Router: My router allows me to set one IP to be an Exposed Host (DMZ), I set it to the IP 192.168.178.25.

Before I did that, both consoles told me that my NAT type may cause problems. I don't know if the download speeds even increased after the change. And yes, I only have one Ethernet cable for my consoles so I have to switch it every time. Not as much of a hassle as it seems. :p

1-D_FTW

Had an older PS3 that had this issue. The latest slim has full throttle. Not sure if it's because they fixed issues (not sure I've seen anyone complain about the latest slim), or if it's because I updated to the latest tomato firmware (versus a build that was years old previously).

n0n44m

I'm hardly using my PS3 nowadays but one thing I noticed with my old 60g launch (EU) was that internet downloads over wifi were really slow at less than half a megabyte per second.

HOWEVER, local file transfers (using some mediaserver on a pc to copy some video for example) over the same wifi connection were as fast as you can reasonably expect from wireless G !!!!!!!!!!1 (two to three megabyte/sec) ...

same behavior continued with multiple (custom and factory firmware) routers and 40 to 120 mbit internet connections

everything here is gigabit cabled so I stopped caring but I could never figure out why, and I believe my current Slim does the same :/

tldr; I believe Sony fubared the wifi internet function on the ps3

bill0527

Its atrocious on the PS3 and its either the wi-fi chip they use inside the system or its a problem with the network.

I've owned 2 PS3s - a launch 60GB unit and a 40GB 2007 unit which is the one I currently use. Both were awful over wifi.

I have tried every possible setting, option, and combination of settings on the router and the PS3 and it hasn't improved much over the years. I have googled and troublshooted this problem to death for 5 and a half years now.

My PS3 sits right beside my Xbox 360, just to the right of it. I even swapped places with them just to get the PS3 6 inches closer to the router to see if it makes a difference and it doesn't.

I've tested it out versus the DL speeds on my 360 - pick any multiplatform game, download it on the 360 and then download the same demo off PSN and it takes roughly 2-5X longer on the PS3. Same internet, same router, same router settings.

I remember on my launch PS3 it took me 2 days to download the Motorstorm demo, but that was when the PSN was kind of new and getting hammered by users trying to download stuff.

jcm

It might be useful to try to quantify things a bit. For example, here's a test from my machine, which is a slim wired via powerline ethernet to a comcast cable modem that is supposed to be 15 Mbps in Washington, DC.

I ran the internet connection test and it reported by speeds as 15.7 down and 3.1 up. Then, I downloaded the Apples to Apples PS3 demo, which is 99MB. It took 47 seconds. Anyone else feel like doing the same tests?

PS3 type: 120GB slim
Internet type: Comcast Cable modem 15Mbps
Connection Type: Western Digital Powerline Ethernet
Conn Test Down: 15.7 Mbps
Conn Test Up: 3.1 Mbps
Apples to Apples Demo: 47 Seconds.

I always have problems with the downloads maybe its cause I have it on wifi now but they are considerably slower than on my computer or xbox.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It might be useful to try to quantify things a bit. For example, here's a test from my machine, which is a slim wired via powerline ethernet to a comcast cable modem that is supposed to be 15 Mbps in Washington, DC.

I ran the internet connection test and it reported by speeds as 15.7 down and 3.1 up. Then, I downloaded the Apples to Apples PS3 demo, which is 99MB. It took 47 seconds. Anyone else feel like doing the same tests?

Good idea. Will do when I get home.

Toski

My 120GB Slim I bought in 09 had trouble connecting on wi-fi to a linksys WRT54g (wired worked perfectly). I tried disabling media server, putting it in DMZ, enabling/disabling UPnP on the PS3 and router, it was so bad that I actually called Sony and had them service it, and it still was spotty with the connection.

After I bought new routers, the problem seems to have been solved, I only wonder why it didn't like the WRT54g when everything else played nice with it.

kassatsu

Banned

PS3 type: 80GB with BC
Internet type: Comcast Cable modem 50Mbps
Connection Type: Ethernet
Conn Test Down: 23.3 Mbps
Conn Test Up: 6.4 Mbps
Apples to Apples Demo: 20.8 Seconds.

So I guess that is about 4.7 MB a sec

knitoe

My setup:

Linksys E4200 Router > Linksys WET610N (5 GHz N) > Dlink 4 Port Switch (100 Mbps) > Media PC & X360 & PS3 60GB launch.

Running speedtest.net, Gaming PC and Media PC shows similar 23 Mbps (download) / 2 Mbps (upload). But, running the PS3 test connection, only shows 10 Mbps (download) / 1.3 Mbps (upload).

My conclusion is the network chipset in PS3, at least in launch, sucks. And, Apple to Apples demo took me about 50 sec.

My setup:

Linksys E4200 Router > Linksys WET610N (5 GHz N) > Dlink 4 Port Switch (100 Mbps) > Media PC & X360 & PS3 60GB launch.

Running speedtest.net, Gaming PC and Media PC shows similar 23 Mbps (download) / 2 Mbps (upload). But, running the PS3 test connection, only shows 10 Mbps (download) / 1.3 Mbps (upload).

My conclusion is the network chipset in PS3, at least in launch, sucks. And, Apple to Apples demo took me about 50 sec.

I don't think speedtest.net on the PS3 is accurate. For one flash runs like shit on the PS3s browser so that might affect things.

knitoe

I don't think speedtest.net on the PS3 is accurate. For one flash runs like shit on the PS3s browser so that might affect things.

I didn't run speedtest on PS3. Only ran it on Gaming PC (wired) and Media PC (wireless) to show the connection to the PS3 wasn't the problem. I ran the "Test Connection" option in PS3's Network Settings to get 10 Mbps (download) and 1.3 Mbps (upload) numbers.

Gaspode_T

Fzq3G.jpg

Seriously, all your problems will be gone.

Wifi on the PS3 is terrible.

I have my PS3 hard wired to LAN and some days it's so slow it takes literally something like 3 minutes just to load the PSN Store PSN+ New Releases page, and maybe more than 5 minutes to download 1024kb theme. Some days it's faster so it's definitely not some sort of setting.

I have some sort of super fast internet too, from the same router I can be watching TV on demand in HD...

Emitan

Saints Row The Third character creator demo took 10 minutes to download on Steam. Took 3+ hours on PSN. What the hell is going on?

AndyD

aka andydumi

I just tried this:
120Gb slim.
Media Server on, not in DMZ, NAT 2 in PS3 network type.
Nashville, TN, Comcast Cable 20Mbps.
Ethernet wired to a Netgear Router.
Demo download: 52 seconds.

kassatsu

Banned
From what it looks like, the PS3 only uses half of your actually bw.

My PC will burst to 50Mbps but the PS3 only gets that 23Mbps number

mclaren777

I'm still rocking the 20GB (so no wifi) and I get slow downloads all the damn time. Was one of the main reasons why I quit using PSN.

That seems a little excessive, especially considering that you can download stuff in the background and have your PS3 install it for you the next time you want to play it.

Or just have a PS+ membership and never have to worry about downloading patches again.

Luthos

I had/have problems too. And I have to use wifi where I'm at.

But I remember seeing a thread post that someone mentioned turning off the media server connection thing, and after that it got much better. Not perfect, but better than the crap it was.

NZNova

Yeah it's complete shit in NZ most of the time. Took me 4 days to download Resident Evil 4, all 3 gigs of it. Absolutely useless. Sometimes it's fast, but most of the time it's just terrible.

Honestly, I think they just don't have much server capacity, as it's always worst during peak times.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I too have a slow PSN connection and it drives me mad. Wired directly into the router. Xbox360 and PC is fine.
I'm on 30Mb and the best the PS3 can do is around 8Mb. It's shite.

Chiquiza

Neo Member
Not really. I have a direct connection to my PS3 and it still suffers from slow download speeds on a 24mb downstream.

Slim ps3
I'd probably will say "same here" but I just moved and in this new house the internet is super fast. It took only like 5 mns to update my trophies and normaly it was a matter of 15 to 20 mns.

Top Bottom