• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Can anyone help me out? I'm about to order this game from Amazon.co.uk. for my son.
Our native language is Dutch...can anyone with the UK-game or UK-demo confirm that is it possible to switch the language to dutch?

Thanks in advance :D

wouwie

Anyone else in Europe getting this game? I'm waiting for my copy to arrive from amazon uk. My expectations are not high but i'm looking forward to playing this game nonetheless.

@Steve McQueen: if my copy arrives, i can check for you if it's not too late already.

wouwie

Can anyone help me out? I'm about to order this game from Amazon.co.uk. for my son.
Our native language is Dutch...can anyone with the UK-game or UK-demo confirm that is it possible to switch the language to dutch?

My copy just arrived (a mere two hours after my previous post) and i had a quick look but i can't find any option to switch languages. To be honest though, i'm not sure where i should look since i always have my playstation in english as system language. I switched it to Dutch (i speak dutch), then started Sly Cooper but everything was in english and i did not find any language option in the various menus. Also, the manual is english only.

flowsnake

Funnily enough, there's a very relevant review there saying no. Or is that you? :)

Anyone else in Europe getting this game?

I got it on release day last week :)

Loving it so far. Just as good as the original trilogy. But I'll leave any final impressions until I've finished the whole thing.

EDIT: That Amazon review makes me want to scalp someone. Why would you rate down an imported game for not having your language? *Bangs head against wall*

My copy just arrived (a mere two hours after my previous post) and i had a quick look but i can't find any option to switch languages. To be honest though, i'm not sure where i should look since i always have my playstation in english as system language. I switched it to Dutch (i speak dutch), then started Sly Cooper but everything was in english and i did not find any language option in the various menus. Also, the manual is english only.

Yeah, I noticed :D No Dutch :/ Although, the crossplay option let's you download the Dutch Vita version and since I've got a Vita, that great.

Funnily enough, there's a very relevant review there saying no. Or is that you? :)

Right on Sherlock :D That's me indeed :D Hahaha....Good find.

KalBalboa

Banned
So what's the best way to go about finding all the collectables?

Is using the Vita as the second screen for "detective mode" a good way to find items in levels?

So what's the best way to go about finding all the collectables?

Is using the Vita as the second screen for "detective mode" a good way to find items in levels?

Yeah. It really helps. Almost made it too easy. I actually tried to get as many as I could before using it, cause it felt almost like cheating. xD

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah. It really helps. Almost made it too easy. I actually tried to get as many as I could before using it, cause it felt almost like cheating. xD

Wow, you weren't kidding. It was a cake walk to find all those bottles. It's a neat novelty- I'm glad I waited until I needed it.

Cool stuff.

PaulloDEC

I think I'm nearing the end of the
Old West
section now, and I'm having a good time.

I think there's plenty of mileage in the franchise, though some big changes to the formula would help a lot I think. I'd really like to see:

• inFamous' movement system replace the current "hit O to interact". It isn't a bad system, but it does feel pretty archaic by this point.
• A real double-jump. The barely-useful flip in Thieves in Time is driving me nuts.
• Less playable characters. Like, a lot less. Sly is cool. Carmelita is cool. Bentley, Murray and the ancestors can't help but feel like B characters to me. A Sly-only game would be nice, and I think maybe a game split between Sly and Carmelita could be fun. I like the dynamic between those two.

Anyway, nice game.

Dawg

Subtitles are kinda bad in this game. I'm playing Vita and I have them enabled, but 90% of the time, there are no subtitles. Sucks for someone like me who can't hear very good on one ear (almost completely deaf) :(

Also, this game is supposed to be for younger children? I'm an experienced gamer and some things in this game are just frustrating and cheap. The Grizz boss battle is a good example. I don't even want to imagine that boss fight without checkpoints.

Well, at least that's not too bad. What about the loading times? Feels like the loading times are worse in this than previous Sly entries.
Yeah, the load times are its biggest problem. They are pretty long, but since you only have to see them when switching characters, and occasionally during a cutscene, it's not a deal breaker.

Just a quick bump for people still looking to buy the game. The Vita version is $18 on Walmart and Amazon right not (though shipping is in 2-4 weeks).

If I didn't like Sly 2 and 3, will I like this?

Depends on the reasons you didn't like them. If it's because you hated playing as Bentley & Murray, you may like it a bit more than 2 & 3. Because while they are still playable, you play as Sly & his ancestors (who almost all play exactly like him) much more.

If it's because of the mini games, you still might enjoy this one , because there are some, but not too many.

If it's because 2&3 didn't play exactly like 1, then yes, you probably won't like this one.

I say give it a chance though, you might be surprised.

wouwie

I'm halfway into this game i think (halfway through
snow world
, and i'm starting to feel the same way as i did with Sly2: i'm getting bored and i'm losing motivation to continue. My motivation to continue at this point is to see how the next worlds will look like.

The Sly Cooper games are such oddities, especially from Sly 2 onwards (i thought Sly 1 was fantastic). It's a mix of different gameplay styles (stealth, platforming, open world, mini games, melee...) but all of those elements are very simple, easy and not fleshed out properly. The mini games could be in any iOS game, the Bentley and (especially) Murray sections aren't fun. This game is a bit of everything but nothing stands out as really great or fun. The most fun are definately the Sly platform sections (which explains why Sly 1 was so good).

Sanzaru did an ok job with this game. They stayed faithful to the Sly 2 formula and made something very similar. It's looking quite nice (the characters and faces look rather ugly though) and it runs quite decently (the framerate in
the snow world
is seriously bad though). It's no technical marvel by any means but it's nice. The music is cool too.

In a way, i still love the Sly Cooper franchise. It's fun, light hearted and the idea behind this band of thieves is nice. I just wish that developers of new games in the series would take a good look at the game, omit the boring stuff (open world mission structures, mini games, Bentley and Murray sections) and concentrate on the good stuff: the Sly platforming. It's the only way this franchise is going to remain interesting to me. After 3 games (Sly 2 -> 4), i'm done with these Sly 2 style games.

SuperPac

Just finished it. Really enjoyed what Sanzaru put together, BUT

What in the world. Did it just end with them not knowing where Sly went, roll credits, the end? That has really soured me on what was a really excellent entry in the series. Where do we go from here? I mean I would HOPE it means Sly 5 will be coming later but did the game sell well enough for that? (Or would that matter?) Either way - felt like a big cop out.

bridegur

Finally bought this on Amazon for about $15. It's great, probably the best in the series since the original. Hopefully Sanzaru will be able to make another.

Mikey Jr.

Just finished it. Really enjoyed what Sanzaru put together, BUT

What in the world. Did it just end with them not knowing where Sly went, roll credits, the end? That has really soured me on what was a really excellent entry in the series. Where do we go from here? I mean I would HOPE it means Sly 5 will be coming later but did the game sell well enough for that? (Or would that matter?) Either way - felt like a big cop out.

There is a secret cutscene if you plat the game. Should answer your question.

Also, I must say, the FPS sometimes was really bad. Like, single digits bad. The ice world seemed the worst in that regard.

Top Bottom