• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Derrick01

Banned
I keep getting an error when I try and get Cross Save to work. You just upload the PS3 version to online storage and then use the Cross Save feature on the Vita game's menu to get it right?

I still haven't got it to work yet either. It always says error failed to connect to cloud or something like that.

Just finished the story. Definitely a good game, but I think it was missing something. I don't even know what it is, but it's definitely lacking in some areas. I was going for Platinum until I found out that to get the "Navigate like Drake" Trophy, I'd have to go to every mission with a different location or locations, and do it that way.

That's a bit much for a
25 second teaser clip
Too bad my game crapped out on me during the credits and I had to watch them on Youtube :(

All in all, I enjoyed it for the most part, but hopefully if there is a Sly 5 Sanzaru will take some liberties in changing the format a bit. Maybe making the enemy AI not completely stupid. If Sly 5 is coming, I'd rather wait a few years than having a new one every year or so.

TripOpt55

I still haven't got it to work yet either. It always says error failed to connect to cloud or something like that.

I just got it to work. You know I really had no idea what I was doing as I'd never used Cross Save before on any other games, but I was trying to export the PS3 version from the game's main menu where there isn't actually an option for upload. You have to load up your saved game and then upload it using the Cross Save option in the game's pause menu. You are probably doing it right already, but I figured I'd share what I was doing wrong just in case it helped you. I'm sure this issue was just me though... haha. I hope you get it to work. It was funny seeing 20 or so trophies just dinging one after another on my Vita!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It was funny seeing 20 or so trophies just dinging one after another on my Vita!

@_@!

zbyBHTE.gif

PINGING!

Trigger-phrase?

And just to check: there's no way to keep track of which missions Cooper masks are, correct? I may not bother with finding all of those on my own if that's the case.

Derrick01

Banned
I just got it to work. You know I really had no idea what I was doing as I'd never used Cross Save before on any other games, but I was trying to export the PS3 version from the game's main menu where there isn't actually an option for upload. You have to load up your saved game and then upload it using the Cross Save option in the game's pause menu. You are probably doing it right already, but I figured I'd share what I was doing wrong just in case it helped you. I'm sure this issue was just me though... haha. I hope you get it to work. It was funny seeing 20 or so trophies just dinging one after another on my Vita!

I had no idea you had to do that but that worked for me too. It would have been nice if Sony had figured out a way to tell people that. But yeah seeing 35 trophies unlock at once was pretty awesome. Never had that happen before.

TripOpt55

I had no idea you had to do that but that worked for me too. It would have been nice if Sony had figured out a way to tell people that. But yeah seeing 35 trophies unlock at once was pretty awesome. Never had that happen before.

Glad I could help and that I wasn't the only one making this mistake... haha.

VanWinkle

I figured that it was assumed that you have to have your game loaded up to save it, whether that's to the cloud or a system save. Did you never try to save it from pause after finishing a session on PS3? I just figured that was a given.

george_us

Really liking this game but I encountered a pretty bad bug with Murray's first mission. One of the things that spawns rocks for Murray to throw didn't spawn a rock leaving me stuck. I assume the devs knew caught this though since the checkpoint puts you past that part.

Edit: hahahahahahaha holy shit
Murray's Madame Geisha minigame is hilarious. What makes it even funnier is seeing Murray passed out still in his Geisha outfit at the menu select screen.
Great attention to detail there.

Duffyside

Banned
As I still wait for gifsoup to start working so I can encapsulate The Grizz's greatest moment for all of history, I finished the game.

I loved almost every second of it, which is odd since I couldn't get more than a few hours past Sly 1 in the collection. It makes me wonder how the Sucker Punch guys feel about this game, as I like that studio just fine and all, but this game struck me as more fun than, well, maybe anything they've ever done (all comes down to how much I like the ice jump in I2).

Such a shame about Sanzaru. They didn't even get a chance to see people react to their game. They also seemingly set it up for a sequel, which will never happen (and thus leaves me feeling slightly unfulfilled).

Wait, what? Did I miss something?
I believe he's referring to the fact that they layed off some of the staff after the game completed last year. Only thing is, that sometimes happens to a lot of companies. That doesn't mean that Sanzaru was shut down or that we won't get another one.

VanWinkle

I believe he's referring to the fact that they layed off some of the staff after the game completed last year. Only thing is, that sometimes happens to a lot of companies. That doesn't mean that Sanzaru was shut down or that we won't get another one.

Well, yea, I knew about that. The way he talked, I thought he heard the studio closed down or something.

Ridley327

Trigger-phrase?

And just to check: there's no way to keep track of which missions Cooper masks are, correct? I may not bother with finding all of those on my own if that's the case.

No, there is no in-game tracker of what mission has Sly masks. The only way to do it reliably is if you have a Vita and are using the AR Treasures mode.

Makes me sad to see so many people enjoy the game and know nothing can prevent it from bombing. I just hope Sanzary had VERY conservative budget and expectations. Platformers are a dying breed.

Duffyside

Banned

Sanzaru might not shut down (but my money is that it will), but there's no way we're getting another one. Sly's done.

Duffyside

Banned
Ugh, can NOT find one bottle in World 3, which I believe is the hardest World to navigate. I have no idea where I haven't looked. Can anyone think of an especially tricky one they found here?

Ridley327

Best Buy is going to be selling the PS3 version for $30 next week. That's the same price as the Vita version.

whatswrongwithyou.gif

Ugh, can NOT find one bottle in World 3, which I believe is the hardest World to navigate. I have no idea where I haven't looked. Can anyone think of an especially tricky one they found here?

Definitely the hardest, since
once you unlock the safe all the clue bottles will show up on the map

The one that gave me the hardest time was probably the one RIGHT outside the hideout; I would always skip it and find the others, only to get stuck.

Salaadin

Im missing two in there. I see theres a weird target thing above the hideout somewhere but I dont know if I could do anything with it or if theres a bottle over there.
I found a hidden area that I needed prison suit and tiger skin to get to but that ended up being a treasure. Im out of ideas.

I might cave in an just AR the last two :p

Im missing two in there. I see theres a weird target thing above the hideout somewhere but I dont know if I could do anything with it or if theres a bottle over there.
I found a hidden area that I needed prison suit and tiger skin to get to but that ended up being a treasure. Im out of ideas.

I might cave in an just AR the last two :p

There is a bottle near it; it's over near the top of the waterfall where the thief costume door is.

Megatron

Just got this today, my hell they made the cross play procedure unintuitive! They couldn't even include an instruction page to do it? There was the cover blurb advertising the feature but no explanation to actually do it. It's like Sony quietly hoped that if they didn't tell us how to do it, everyone would just forget about it.

VanWinkle

Just got this today, my hell they made the cross play procedure unintuitive! They couldn't even include an instruction page to do it? There was the cover blurb advertising the feature but no explanation to actually do it. It's like Sony quietly hoped that if they didn't tell us how to do it, everyone would just forget about it.

I'm honestly shocked that people didn't get it. You play on one, go to cross-save when your done and upload to cloud, then go to your other system, select cross-save, and download from cloud. It automatically starts up your game. I'm trying to figure out how people are not knowing how to do it.

Salaadin

I'm honestly shocked that people didn't get it. You play on one, go to cross-save when your done and upload to cloud, then go to your other system, select cross-save, and download from cloud. It automatically starts up your game. I'm trying to figure out how people are not knowing how to do it.

Cross buy is a little weird with the "disc benefits" thing but Cross save was easy to figure out. Its staring right at you whenever you pause the game.

There is a bottle near it; it's over near the top of the waterfall where the thief costume door is.

Wow, there was one there!
Oddly enough, after I found that one, I found the last one in some birds nest that I didnt explore. Got the chest item :)

World 4 is a lot of fun. I love the layout of it.

The Lamp

Any word on first week sales? Probably not good considering we have to remind GAF that this game exists.

By the way, the game is starting to wear out its welcome. I'm at World 4 and everything is starting to feel a bit too formulaic, from the missions, to the boss fights, etc. And the level design isn't exactly getting better yet, but I just now got to World 4 so we'll see what happens.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
Beat the game yesterday and enjoyed it, I think that Sanzaru did a good job with the game. Was not a big fan of the parts that required six axis controlling but thankfully there were not many. Pretty much have all the trophies except the Navigate like Drake one which seems to be giving me trouble. Overall a fun game and I hope they make another.

Duffyside

Banned
Found all the bottles, did some trophy cleanup, and with that I think I'm done with this game.

Loved my time with it, and, again, I'm no Sly Cooper fan. Don't think I would have bought this at "full price" based on just the demo, but once I got two worlds in with the full game I knew I was mistaken. This game was definitely worth $60 to me.

Every problem that I thought I was going to have was addressed - the Murray sections were few, and less tedious as I gained more moves. The music was far more varied than just some screaming trumpets. I actually liked playing as the shitty friends, though playing as Sly's ancestors may have alleviated that. And the game was far more open than I thought it would be: I really enjoyed running around the hubs, just finding treasures and bottles, enjoying the beautiful worlds that Sanzaru had created, at 60fps no less (other than in World 3).

While going into this game I didn't care at all about the Sly Cooper universe, nor the characters, and thought Sony had made a mistake even green-lighting this game, I'm now super-bummed that I don't think we'll ever seen another game.

I really can't say enough nice things about this experience. So glad I jumped in. This year is packed with huge games; had it been last year, this one would have made my top five. Even so, I can't imagine this one not making my top ten once January comes.

Tizoc

Well I'm in World 5 now.
World 4's villain was a lame twist, It really could've been handled so much better.

Yuterald

Just arrived at World/Episode 3. There's definitely a lot I like about this installment, but at the same time there's still a lot of bad Sly2/3 DNA lingering around. There was a mission in the second world which started with a "stalk the bad guy without being seen" GTA-style nonsense followed by an incredibly boring/unexciting turret scenario. It was like a combo of the worst gameplay scenarios that have plagued this medium for the past decade or so. This sort of shit was in Sly 2/3 and I'm just so beyond done with it, lol! Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like these sections are overly offensive or anything, it's just that they're so astronomically boring and uninspired. Puts me on a one way train to sleepy-town whenever I experience a section like this in a game.

I also still think their scenarios/missions overstay their welcome. Everything they attempt to do lasts too long. There's also WAY too much Bentley in this game. I'm already so sick of the hack games. Grant it, they do seem to follow the rule of three (meaning, a lot of the mini scenarios consist of three main "sections"), but other sections clearly break the golden rule. The only one I like so far was the ball rolling one and I've only seen it once! The side scrolling matrix shit is so whatever-town.

Fortunately, the game does do a lot right. I actually REALLY like all the ancestors that I've played. Some of the missions with them are pretty cool and they house some small ideas which is always appreciated. The world 2 costume and the usage of it during an escape was pretty neat. There's light puzzles sprinkled throughout some of these missions and it's the kind of design philosophies/ideas that Sucker Punch never arrived at, surprisingly. I love how each costume is used for the bosses too. It gives me a very Zelda-like vibe and that's always a welcome feeling. The bosses themselves are actually pretty fun to fight too! All of them have been WAY more interesting than anything I remembered fighting in ALL THREE of the original Sly games.

Overall, the costume and ancestor stuff was the exact kind of new shit this series needed. I wish the entire game was focused around the classic Sly platforming and the ancestor stuff. If I have to play one more RC car mission, I'm going to lose it! The Bentley and Murray crap needs to go, dudes! At the moment, I'd say I like this more than Sly 2/3, but it's still not Sly 1 caliber and I don't expect it to reach those heights either. But hey, not too bad for a new studio trying to emulate/recreate what Sucker Punch created, right?

Yuterald

I really wish this game was like 8 to 10 chapters entirely based on ancestral Sly. I haven't finished the game yet, but like I said in my last post, anything related to the Sly portions of this series is always a good time. I don't know what most people who play these games think about the other sides of the game, but that Bentley/Murray stuff has got to go. An entire game focused around the costumes and Sly-like scenarios/platforms could have been pretty amazing. There's a lot they can work with in that regard. Oh well, maybe in Sly 5?

Just nabbed this for the Vita from my dad's PS3 copy last night. I take it trophies won't register as they're tied to his account? I signed in using my account in order to link my Vita.

Sorian

Banned
Since I saw this thread bumped up, I'd figure I'd ask. So I finally beat the game (I'll platinum tonight so I have no knowledge of what is in the secret ending so don't spoil me), was that whole thing about their being a Carmelita chapter completely unbased? I don't see anything after loading back up my game and I have to wonder where that rumor came from. Was it cut content?

zeox

Just bought the sly trilogy on PSN the other day, and after getting a platinum on the first game I am a fan. Definitely getting this when I'm done with the original trilogy

World 5 is pretty bad too but not quite as bad as 3. 3 made me question why bother making this game 60fps lol.

That's unfortunate. I stopped in this thread again as the game is on sale for $30 right now, and I just end up seeing something that tells me "no" all over again.

It could be one of those things where you see people online saying something is really bad. But when you try it yourself it's not really an issue.

Tagg9

That's unfortunate. I stopped in this thread again as the game is on sale for $30 right now, and I just end up seeing something that tells me "no" all over again.

It's not really much of an issue. I noticed it a lot less in Sly than I did in games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Top Bottom