• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

It's funny; I thought he was immediately recognizable as El Jefe, but it genuinely took me a bit to figure out he was Le Paradox, too. He has certain tells when he delivers his lines that makes it obvious that it's him (which is why I've never been impressed with his Penguin from Arkham City), but I guess he really shines with a ridiculous French accent. He really needs to do more outright comedic roles, because it really shows off just how talented he is when he's not being asked to do "the Drake voice" in every other game.

Even funnier given that he actually prefers voicing more cartoony characters such as Le Paradox, El Jefe and Sigmund (from Ratchet and Clank) opposed to guys like Drake or that dude from Dark Void.

Duffyside

Banned
After loving the game for the last week, I'm not sure I want to go back after failing my first attempt at the World 3
Grizz/Murray/skating
fight.

After loving the game for the last week, I'm not sure I want to go back after failing my first attempt at the World 3
Grizz/Murray/skating
fight.

You just gotta go hard. Don't worry about getting hit by the icicles falling, just rush to and punch the ice cubes as fast as possible. Avoid the shockwaves though, but don't do anything that slows the ice cube-punching process

Ridley327

Grizz/Murray/skating
fight.

For that fight, here's a really helpful tip to make it go much, much, much faster:
position Murray between two ice cubes and he'll hit both of them at the same with his punches.

And done. Overall, very impressed with the game. It is more of a platformer than the second and third game put together. Murray was used VERY sparingly, which was a wise decision. Bentley's hacks were a bit too frequent, but at least they cycled between 3 different types. Sanzaru never lost sight of the fact that they were making a platformer, which Sucker Punch obviously did less than halfway through Sly 3. The game was insanely easy, however, far easier than any of the first 3 games. And the load times are embarrassing. But the game got more gorgeous with each locale, with world 5's purples and blues being my favourite. I'd rather Sanzaru do Sly 5 than Sucker Punch, and that's high praise.

Ok, about the end of the 4th world...

I legit expected Penelope to be the one who was brainwashed in the end, but it turns out I was wrong. It was a bit of a strange twist, but definitely nice that it wasn't a cop-out. Also, that mech battle, despite being so simplistic, was pretty cool!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I did, and I'm not even sure how or what I did.

If you slightly hit your L3 button even a little jerk motion, if front of Sly, Bentley or Murray you get this half arc and arrow pointer telling you which way to go

If you steal a treasure, in front of you it glows gold to tell you the way back home
(Sometimes it's routes are great, sometimes they're not)
I followed it, so many enemies and failed, did it my way by passing some area and cutting back around, boom got the treasure home

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ending spoilers:
Nolan North deserves every award that can be given to a voice actor for how he delivered the "Because I don't want to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie" line; he was generally fantastic as Le Paradox, but that line put him into god tier for me.

He's also El Jefe! I wonder who else he is in the game. You get 3 characters for your standard rate so...

edit: oh you said that

Duffyside

Banned
You just gotta go hard. Don't worry about getting hit by the icicles falling, just rush to and punch the ice cubes as fast as possible. Avoid the shockwaves though, but don't do anything that slows the ice cube-punching process

Yep, you're right. That was my problem the first time, and I knew it then, and just found it frustrating. Game was seriously encouraging me NOT to dodge, in essence. That frustration left me a day later and I went back to it, happy to see that my 1/3rd progress had been saved, so it only took about five minutes. But man... at the time... oof, I was irritated.

For that fight, here's a really helpful tip to make it go much, much, much faster:
position Murray between two ice cubes and he'll hit both of them at the same with his punches.

A very good tip. If people do this (and I did it too my second time) they might actually be able to try to avoid some attacks (like they'd normally be compelled to do) and still finish the boss.

Grisby

"I'm just gonna call you Bob."
"Sure. Whatever."

Good stuff. I'm up to world 3 and still having a decent time. World 2 was a bit drab graphics wise, at least on the Vita, but world 3 looks great. I wish the damn battery would last longer so I could get some more playtime out of it.

He can't give you the vita version. As far as I know the vita version is locked to his psn ID.

I know I asked this question a couple of pages ago but just had to say thx.

Welp, I'm a little disappointed. I guess if it was that easy to get the vita version from someone else who bought it, we would have a lot less sales of the game. Oh well, I might pick this game up after I get my 3DSXL in March (hopefully I don't hear any spoilers by then, though it's pretty hard when you have a friend who pleads you daily about telling you the ending). Nothing worse I hate then ppl who can't help but spoil things, not counting the internet I mean in real life.

Ok, I've just gotta say, for what's happened so far in the last level... this is great. I didn't expect this, and I know I'm gonna really enjoy this.

Drago

I finally platinum'd R&C HD today so I finally moved back to this game again, played for about an hour, and I'm almost done with the first world.

Really loving this game so far, coming from someone inexperienced with other Sly games aside from playing the first half of the first game. After I finish this up I'll probably plow through the collection.

Also, that Geisha minigame was... weird

Duffyside

Banned
If you slightly hit your L3 button even a little jerk motion, if front of Sly, Bentley or Murray you get this half arc and arrow pointer telling you which way to go

If you steal a treasure, in front of you it glows gold to tell you the way back home
(Sometimes it's routes are great, sometimes they're not)
I followed it, so many enemies and failed, did it my way by passing some area and cutting back around, boom got the treasure home

Well, I don't think it's ever really giving you "a route." It's just pointing straight where the base is. I think you're supposed to pause before you pick up the treasure, take a quick gander, and try to devise a plan.

Wow, literally JUST beat the game, and I have to say it was definitely an excellent return to form, by a different developer no less!

About the ending...

Didn't expect that to happen to Sly, to be honest. I have a feeling he'll come back... but could this potentially mean no more sequels? I hope not, Sanzaru did such a fine job on this game. And Nolan North was Le Paradox? Honestly couldn't tell. He does such amazing work when he isn't just shoehorned into the Nathan Drake voice.

jwk94

Wow, literally JUST beat the game, and I have to say it was definitely an excellent return to form, by a different developer no less!

About the ending...

Didn't expect that to happen to Sly, to be honest. I have a feeling he'll come back... but could this potentially mean no more sequels? I hope not, Sanzaru did such a fine job on this game. And Nolan North was Le Paradox? Honestly couldn't tell. He does such amazing work when he isn't just shoehorned into the Nathan Drake voice.

We'll probably have another game. They might've ended it like that so we wouldn't have any HUGE cliffhangers if we don't get another game. It's kinda like what Sucker Punch did with Sly 3; they made it so that, if they wanted, they could continue easily, but tied it up to where it feels like a good ending to the series.

Having said that, I really hope we do see another Sly in the next two years at least.

We'll probably have another game. They might've ended it like that so we wouldn't have any HUGE cliffhangers if we don't get another game. It's kinda like what Sucker Punch did with Sly 3; they made it so that, if they wanted, they could continue easily, but tied it up to where it feels like a good ending to the series.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. But at the same time, with how little this game was marketed, it leaves me with the fear that this is going to just be the ending to the Sly series for good. =\

Er... let's just say
there's a little more to the story if you unlock the secret ending.

What there's a secret ending? Is it just if you collect EVERYTHING that you get it?

jwk94

Yeah, I can definitely see that. But at the same time, with how little this game was marketed, it leaves me with the fear that this is going to just be the ending to the Sly series for good. =\

What there's a secret ending? Is it just if you collect EVERYTHING that you get it?

Yeah, I think that's why they did it. They knew there'd be little to no marketing so they played it safe. I hope we're not right though. I want another Sly game. After tearing through the series throughout January, I need more of this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How do I get AR treasures to work? I can't find anywhere that explains it. Do I have to set my PS3 to wireless too?

I have AR set to on in the options on PS3

anddo0

I'm playing this on Vita. The game keeps referring to the " gadget grid icon". what is this icon, is it the same icon as costume select?

Salaadin

How do I get AR treasures to work? I can't find anywhere that explains it. Do I have to set my PS3 to wireless too?

Hmm, Im not aware of anything else that has to be done.
All I did was turn on the AR Server on the PS3 version and then start AR treasture hunt from the Vita menu and it just connected and worked.
Ill have to check if my PS3 has wireless enabled or not.

About that...I need tips for the 15 second challenge, I keep failing it every friggin' time ugh...

That part killed me too but I eventually got it. Im not sure I have any real tips to give.
My biggest problem was overcompensating - when the egg moved too far to one side, Id end up frantically tilting to get it back in the middle and it would just full speed roll off the other side. Once I stopped that, I got it.

VanWinkle

Just to be sure, did you go to "AR Treasures" from the MAIN menu on Sly on Vita? As in the menu before you even load up your game.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I finished it. Going to go back and clean up the side stuff for trophies later.

I feel like this game could have been better if they weren't trying so hard to emulate the older Sly games. Maybe they wanted to, maybe they felt forced to because they wouldn't want to risk upsetting fans. All I know is that the game has the same failings the other Sly games do that have been repeated many times by me and others in various Sly threads. If we're talking about a series that needs a reboot then this would be a great choice as it would allow them to shed so many of the horrible design elements of this series (auto platforming, annoying friends/minigames).

On another note this game has way too many framerate problems for something that at least doesn't appear to be very technically demanding. Worlds 3 and 5 are borderline unplayable with all of the chugging that's going on in the hubs. Why make a game 60fps if you can't keep it 60?

But despite all that I still enjoyed it a little bit, as I did with 1 and 2. It's the very definition of a 5/10, or average, game. Not horrible but not great or even good in any way really.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just to be sure, did you go to "AR Treasures" from the MAIN menu on Sly on Vita? As in the menu before you even load up your game.

Yes...I didn't know there was any other way

And by "before loading game," you mean loading save game, right?

Globox_82

Banned
Without spoiling anything, have they left hints for 5th game or something like that? I have the game but have not touched it yet. I am on NiNokuni atm

Ridley327

OK, since some people are having troubles with the AR mode, here's the step-by-step process as for how I did it:

1. enable AR mode on the PS3 version
2. enter a hub level
3. select AR Treasures on the Vita version; if it finds the AR server (your PS3), it will immediately start loading the level you're currently on on the Vita
4. once it's done loading, the default mode is in camera mode, which would require you to point the Vita at the TV screen to get the benefits; what you should be doing instead, though, is pressing L on the Vita, which will switch it to a different mode, where the Vita will then bring up a fully rendered version of the level that you're on in thermal vision mode, showing any clue bottle, Sly mask, and treasure you've yet to obtain
5. when you transition back to the hideout, or a level that does not support the AR mode (a minigame, for example), it'll go back to the camera mode, but it will automatically switch back to the other mode when you move to a valid area as long as the Vita is still connected

I hope that helps!

Finished/platinumed Sly1 tonight (LOVED IT). Gonna beat something else and head into Sly2. To prevent franchise fatigue, could I possibly skip Sly3 and head straight into this? Or does a significant enough happen in that as well?

Thanks

VanWinkle

Yes...I didn't know there was any other way

And by "before loading game," you mean loading save game, right?

Yeah. I was trying to figure out how to do it by having both games on and I couldn't find the option until I realized I had to be out of my game that I was already in on Vita. But since you seem to have already done that, I don't know why. Is it failing to connect to the AR server or something?

Finished/platinumed Sly1 tonight (LOVED IT). Gonna beat something else and head into Sly2. To prevent franchise fatigue, could I possibly skip Sly3 and head straight into this? Or does a significant enough happen in that as well?

Thanks
If you are going to play 1&2 I suggest playing 3 too, as it will introduce you to some of the characters in TiT.

Contrary to what some here may think, Sly 3 is a great game.

Duffyside

Banned
Anybody here willing to make a .gif? Gifsoup is being a butt. I'm infatuated with the five seconds where
The Grizz breaks his medallion (in tway!), puts the blades on his feet, and then slides off screen, seemingly using his fingers as his propulsion.

Too bad .gifs are silent too, because I love the way he speaks. "Skate-tah."

TripOpt55

I keep getting an error when I try and get Cross Save to work. You just upload the PS3 version to online storage and then use the Cross Save feature on the Vita game's menu to get it right?

Ridley327

I keep getting an error when I try and get Cross Save to work. You just upload the PS3 version to online storage and then use the Cross Save feature on the Vita game's menu to get it right?

And vice versa, yes. Obviously, use the in-game Cross Save function to do this, and not PS+; I'm not saying that you are, but I'm just saying in general.

It worked flawlessly for me, so I wonder what's up with other people having problems.

TripOpt55

And vice versa, yes. Obviously, use the in-game Cross Save function to do this, and not PS+; I'm not saying that you are, but I'm just saying in general.

It worked flawlessly for me, so I wonder what's up with other people having problems.

Thanks. Yeah that is what I'm doing. I will try it again. Would be awesome if this worked. I finished the game on PS3 and figured I could clean up some collecting on the go.

Thanks

This is a direct sequel to 3, you can skip it but I would just rush through 3. You should totally play Sly2 right away it's very different from Sly 1.

This is a direct sequel to 3, you can skip it but I would just rush through 3. You should totally play Sly2 right away it's very different from Sly 1.

Glad to hear that. Sly1 has some genuinely witty writing and amazingly tight gameplay ...it also stretches itself a bit too far and I was ready for a change up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah. I was trying to figure out how to do it by having both games on and I couldn't find the option until I realized I had to be out of my game that I was already in on Vita. But since you seem to have already done that, I don't know why. Is it failing to connect to the AR server or something?

Yeah, says failure to connect. Tried to follow Ridley's instructions up above and I'm stuck on step 3. No clue...

Top Bottom