• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Derrick01

Banned
It's not really much of an issue. I noticed it a lot less in Sly than I did in games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc.

It was a big issue to me because the snow effects crippled the framerate. But it's only in the hub that it's like that, it's not in the missions at all.

Ridley327

I found that more often than not, the framerate takes a dive when you alert an enemy in the busier hubs, like episode 3. I don't think it was really optimized to have those guys seeking you out while you're running away, but the alert level is short enough for it to not be a major problem. Amusingly, I did manage to get a couple of the hedgehog guards stuck behind a drum in episode 4, so their alert level never dropped, so the framerate kept getting worse and worse the further I got away from them. Nothing a simple return to the hideout couldn't fix, but it was funny that you could actually have that happen.

I agree, World 3 was very bad framerate wise. I've had a few issues in world 4 a few times but nowhere near like world 3.

I like this better than Sly 2 and 3, but there are a few things from those games in this that make me cringe at times.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
Yeah there was a few times the frame rate dropped on me, but in the grand total of time I spent playing the game it was very insignificant. The game looked amazing to me and many times just found myself shifting the camera around to just view the world. If the game is possible to get for $30 then get it definitely worth it. I have bought many games that have worse frame rate issues for 60 and to be honest are much worse than what you would experience in Sly 4.

The Lamp

In World 3 the
Bob Olympics
just reeked of amateur and lazy game design. The minigames themselves weren't difficult or broken or bad or anything, they were just lame and not fun and it would have been better if they
trained Bob to get back into shape
by designing an awesome set of platforming levels or something.

It's stuff like that that scuffs the polish from this otherwise well-made Sly game.

Tagg9

In World 3 the
Bob Olympics
just reeked of amateur and lazy game design. The minigames themselves weren't difficult or broken or bad or anything, they were just lame and not fun and it would have been better if they
trained Bob to get back into shape
by designing an awesome set of platforming levels or something.

It's stuff like that that scuffs the polish from this otherwise well-made Sly game.

Wow, really? I thought they were the best minigames in the whole game. Reminded me of Yeti Sports.
I preferred doing the minigames instead of controlling Bob. He handles like a tank compared with Sly.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
The mini games were fun, but I could see how they could get boring. I liked that I was not finding myself doing the section over 5 times because the mini game required perfection. I remember getting a bit frustrated at some of the tasks in Sly 3 and that Murray race in Sly 1.

Grisby

Beat the game!

I had a fun time, this being my first Sly game and all. Played and looked great on the Vita. Even though I haven't played the previous titles I still kind of get what reviewers mean when they say that Sly is a throwback. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I had a fun time just gathering bottles and pulling slick circle jumps.

Now I'm finishing hunting for all of the collectibles and I kind of wish they told you what you got in the safes. I got the bottle locater but I don't know what the treasure in world 2 does.

Berordn

I preferred doing the minigames instead of controlling Bob. He handles like a tank compared with Sly.

It seems like Bob's sort of intended to play more like Murray than the Coopers, if just because he can't use any of the agile moves that Sly can. I thought he was pretty clunky as well.

Now I'm finishing hunting for all of the collectibles and I kind of wish they told you what you got in the safes. I got the bottle locater but I don't know what the treasure in world 2 does.

All the treasures from the safes are in your treasure stash in the hideouts too. The one from world 2
makes more coins drop from enemies and scenery

Beat the game!

I had a fun time, this being my first Sly game and all. Played and looked great on the Vita. Even though I haven't played the previous titles I still kind of get what reviewers mean when they say that Sly is a throwback. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I had a fun time just gathering bottles and pulling slick circle jumps.

The treasure from world two increases the amount of coins you get from pick-pocketed loot.

Grisby

All the treasures from the safes are in your treasure stash in the hideouts too. The one from world 2
makes more coins drop from enemies and scenery
Hmm, looked through my treasures and didn't find the safe pieces. Probably missed it. Good deal though and thanks to everyone else who replied.

I'm gonna wait till summer to start the HD collection. Excited though, I really enjoyed Sly's universe.

Tizoc

I persoally never had frame rate issues in World 3, I did have a small issue with it in World 5, but overall the 60 FPS is steady 95% of the time.

Megatron

I'm honestly shocked that people didn't get it. You play on one, go to cross-save when your done and upload to cloud, then go to your other system, select cross-save, and download from cloud. It automatically starts up your game. I'm trying to figure out how people are not knowing how to do it.

Except that I wasn't looking to start a PS3 quest first. I got the game primarily to play on the Vita (just so much easier for me to play mobile games) so I wasn't going to start a quest on PS3 and then transfer it over, I wanted to start the game on the Vita.

And really, there is no good justification for not including the procedure on how to get the Vita version via cross-play. If nothing else it helps promote the Vita. If someone who didn't know about this feature sees this and was already considering a Vita, this could push them over the edge. Sony needs to be making sure more cusomers know about the Vita, not withholding transfer instructions that should be obvious inclusions.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
Unfortunately it seems like Sony is not really putting much care into the Vita really, kind of like there lack of marketing for this awesome game. This is sad because both are amazing in my opinion.

master_emman

Neo Member
Beat it last night, and I gotta say I was really happy with it. It played just like a Sly game, and I'm fine with that. The story was solid, and all the ancestors were fun (especially Tennessee). Levels are nice and big, music is great, and I really liked the humour throughout. There are some problems I have with the game though.

So then with the secret ending, does that mean Sly 5 is going to continue the whole time travel aspect? I mean, he's in Egypt, so he'll meet that ancestor, but then what? Penelope tries to bring back clockwork and Sly has to team up with more ancestors?

Hell yeah for this!
moar sly games. moar ancestors

KalBalboa

Banned
Got to world three today and spent a good hour just roaming around collecting bottles and such. It was the most fun I've had with the game yet- I love exploring in a good 3D platformer.

Also, the training sequence was gold.

Any advice on finding the 29th/30th bottles in an area?

Duffyside

Banned
Got to world three today and spent a good hour just roaming around collecting bottles and such. It was the most fun I've had with the game yet- I love exploring in a good 3D platformer.

Also, the training sequence was gold.

Any advice on finding the 29th/30th bottles in an area?

I used a youtube video to get the last one or two bottles here. For me, they were sneaky in that they were on the ground and not high up. One was in a little ice tunnel behind a snow rock or something, and another was just outside another cave, up and inside a hollowed stalactite or something. I could hear it tinking around though.

Most important area to get the bottles though, as once you open the safe here
you get a treasure that will then reveal the bottles on your map
. You might actually want to click on that spoiler, as if you like looking for bottles that much you might want to avoid getting them all in World 3.

Just started it today. Liking it so far.

Only gripe is the load times. They're pretty lengthy.

Other than that, it's good stuff and I'm a happy Sly fan.

Playing on Vita? I know on PS3 the loads between levels can be sorta long (not really, imo), but the reloads are fast as hell. I was really impressed with how quickly I was playing again after dying or restarting a checkpoint.

Playing on Vita? I know on PS3 the loads between levels can be sorta long (not really, imo), but the reloads are fast as hell. I was really impressed with how quickly I was playing again after dying or restarting a checkpoint.

Just PS3. The initial loads are kinda lengthy. The reloads though, you're totally right, are extremely fast. That's awesome. Gets you right back into it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Started it on the PS3 last night, uploaded to the cloud and played some more in bed from my Vita. Love the game and the cross play.

Suzzopher

Run into a bit of a problem. I have using the cross save system fine, but yesterday I spent a long time on the Vita version, uploaded the save and today when I turn on the PS3 it can't find the cloud save, anyone else seen this?

Piggo

Not sure if anyone from UK GAF is venturing into this thread at the moment but I picked this up for PS3 last week while in the US and I just can't get into it.

So i'd like to send it to someone else if they fancy playing it a month earlier than the UK release. I was thinking the UK retail price, then I'll cover the shipping. If that sounds good then PM me.

Just arrived at World/Episode 3. There's definitely a lot I like about this installment, but at the same time there's still a lot of bad Sly2/3 DNA lingering around. There was a mission in the second world which started with a "stalk the bad guy without being seen" GTA-style nonsense followed by an incredibly boring/unexciting turret scenario. It was like a combo of the worst gameplay scenarios that have plagued this medium for the past decade or so. This sort of shit was in Sly 2/3 and I'm just so beyond done with it, lol! Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like these sections are overly offensive or anything, it's just that they're so astronomically boring and uninspired. Puts me on a one way train to sleepy-town whenever I experience a section like this in a game.

I also still think their scenarios/missions overstay their welcome. Everything they attempt to do lasts too long. There's also WAY too much Bentley in this game. I'm already so sick of the hack games. Grant it, they do seem to follow the rule of three (meaning, a lot of the mini scenarios consist of three main "sections"), but other sections clearly break the golden rule. The only one I like so far was the ball rolling one and I've only seen it once! The side scrolling matrix shit is so whatever-town.

Fortunately, the game does do a lot right. I actually REALLY like all the ancestors that I've played. Some of the missions with them are pretty cool and they house some small ideas which is always appreciated. The world 2 costume and the usage of it during an escape was pretty neat. There's light puzzles sprinkled throughout some of these missions and it's the kind of design philosophies/ideas that Sucker Punch never arrived at, surprisingly. I love how each costume is used for the bosses too. It gives me a very Zelda-like vibe and that's always a welcome feeling. The bosses themselves are actually pretty fun to fight too! All of them have been WAY more interesting than anything I remembered fighting in ALL THREE of the original Sly games.

Overall, the costume and ancestor stuff was the exact kind of new shit this series needed. I wish the entire game was focused around the classic Sly platforming and the ancestor stuff. If I have to play one more RC car mission, I'm going to lose it! The Bentley and Murray crap needs to go, dudes! At the moment, I'd say I like this more than Sly 2/3, but it's still not Sly 1 caliber and I don't expect it to reach those heights either. But hey, not too bad for a new studio trying to emulate/recreate what Sucker Punch created, right?

got this, just reached the second boss, decided to check out the ot, & there, at the top of the page, is a post saying everything i wanted to at this point. especially the bolded section: it'd appear the developers felt that all of the mini-games could automatically be made even twice as good simply by making them twice as long as they should be. & it really is a shame, to the extent that, as yuterald says, the sly/ancestor segments are really well done...

so, yeah - 'the bentley & murray crap needs to go, dudes!' they're obnoxious & one-dimensional as characters (bentley's voice, in particular, is mind-bogglingly grating), & their mini-games do nothing other than successfully, repeatedly interrupt what is otherwise a clever/fun game. the time & energy poured into their sections would've been far better spent on creating another ancestor or 2...

Necrovex

I just reached the third world, and you guys weren't kidding about the awful framerate. I can usually handle mediocre framerate, but this level is giving me migraines for some reason.

AgentP

Al the levels so far (in fourth) except the 3rd one are laid out well and really fun to navigate. The
prehistoric
one is such a pain and too vertical. Finding the bottles with the Vita AR makes it so much easier too.

I've never known a game to hard lock my console quite as frequently as this one. Since I've started playing it, the game has frozen on average twice a day. It's hardly a graphical powerhouse that pushes the system to its limits!

AgentP

I've never known a game to hard lock my console quite as frequently as this one. Since I've started playing it, the game has frozen on average twice a day. It's hardly a graphical powerhouse that pushes the system to its limits!

I just finished, never locked once.

I got 44% of the trophies, I think I'm too burned out to fire the game up again. They should have left out the 3rd level and made the game a bit shorter.

Drago

So this sold pretty damn well in NA all things considered, at least 117k for both versions and ~36k just for the Vita version.

Guess we may be seeing Sly 5? :)

Berordn

Didn't Sony fuck over Sanzaru somehow? I remember reading something about that.

Aside from releasing the title with little marketing support, not really. There was talk about layoffs at Sanzaru around August when the game was completed and scheduled to launch before it got pushed back to February for some arbitrary reason, so that was probably just typical end of development turnover.

If memory serves they're working with Sony on their next game already.

Mikey Jr.

Aside from releasing the title with little marketing support, not really. There was talk about layoffs at Sanzaru around August when the game was completed and scheduled to launch before it got pushed back to February for some arbitrary reason, so that was probably just typical end of development turnover.

If memory serves they're working with Sony on their next game already.

Yeah, something about they layoffs. That was it.

Alright, great to hear then.

Drago

Well darn. The game actually sold less than 117k after a creamsugar update.

Hopefully it still amassed more than 100k :/

Dereck

The load times seem long but actually might not be.

The SIXAXIS missions are poop.

Game is decent, this is my first Sly game.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finally got around to playing this a few days ago and I just beat the game today. As a huge fan of the previous games, I'd say that Thieves in Time is a pretty worthy entry in the series, though I'd still rank it behind 1 and 2, and maybe put it on par or a little behind 3. Some parts of the game felt outdated, there are a lot of things that are just sort of thrown in for no real reason, and it ultimately felt too short, but overall I thought it was a good first effort from Sanzaru.

Other thoughts:

I really liked Tennessee Kid and Sir Galleth. They were really fun characters and I would love to see them return at some point. Salim Al Kupar was likable enough though sort of bland. "Bob" and Rioichi were alright, I guess.

The (jazzy) score was generally pretty good.

I thought the animated cutscenes looked sort of low rent. Carmelita looked terrible and Sly looked pretty bad as well. I would have preferred a more cell shaded and comic booky look to them, ala the previous games.

I think the Sly franchise would actually translate very well into an animated series. I would love to see Sly and the gang's exploits on a weekly basis with an animation style similar to A Cat in Paris. *drool*

Costumes were a fun, if not gimmicky, addition, and they weren't really useful outside of certain contexts (opening treasure doors and whatnot). Sly's crawling animation while in the
Sabertooth costume
was really amusing though. :3

1. Carmelita's inclusion. From what I recall, she's only actually needed in the missions about what, 5 times? She seems kinda shoehorned in.

She was totally shoehorned in. She barely had any missions at all, yet they give you the option to play as her in every world and she even has new abilities for purchase via Thief Net. Totally pointless.

I was also surprised by, 638 Bentley hacking mini games aside, how little time you actually spend playing as Bentley and Murray. They have very few missions and some of them are even split 50/50 with Sly...Which makes the fact that they each have dozens of purchasable abilities via Thief Net baffling, as you don't have many opportunities to use them and most of them are completely useless anyway.

I really appreciated the game's emphasis on Sly and his ancestors, and even though I like Bentley and Murray (enjoyed playing as them in 2 and 3, etc.), I'm glad that I didn't have to play as them very often in 4. Sly 3 went too overboard with playable characters so it was nice to see Thieves in Time scale that back as much as they did.

I would actually love for Sly 5 to be 100% Sly with maybe an ancestor or two thrown in there for good measure. :)

I don't like what they did with Penelope. It just, didn't feel right. To me it came across as they couldn't think of what to do with her (since Dimitri was already left to just cutscenes), so they just made her a villain. Maybe because it wasn't fleshed out enough, but it felt wrong. Oh, and the fact that she broke out at the end. So now she's also some kinda super thief?

Yep. Utterly baffling. I thought that they would reveal that Le Paradox had hypnotized her or something, but nope, Penelope was apparently a self serving villainess all along. I mean, she was cheating in the dogfight races and pretending to be the Black Baron in 3, (Black Baron, Black Knight...I see a pattern here...) so I guess it sort of fits her profile, but I felt like it really came out of nowhere.

I was also confused for most of the game regarding Le Paradox's master plan. So he wants to create an ancient kingly/princely lineage for himself...why is that such a bad thing? So he's the king of Arabia or whatever in present day - why would that threaten anyone or anything? I understand the stuff about wanting to be the best thief ever, stealing the Cooper canes, etc. but that part didn't make a lick of sense to me.

So then with the secret ending, does that mean Sly 5 is going to continue the whole time travel aspect? I mean, he's in Egypt, so he'll meet that ancestor, but then what? Penelope tries to bring back clockwork and Sly has to team up with more ancestors?

I know that a lot of people were speculating a few months ago that Sanzaru's next game would be a new Jak and Daxter game (which would be awesome), but considering that they ended Sly 4 with several mysteries: What happened to Sly, Penelope escaping prison, Final Chapter? trophy, etc. I think it's safe to say that they're probably working on Sly 5.

I also still think their scenarios/missions overstay their welcome. Everything they attempt to do lasts too long.

I thought some of the missions overstayed their welcome for sure (Geisha Hippo Dance and Carmelita's belly dance in particular), but overall I thought that each episode felt too short. The amount of missions per episode is pretty slim and the number of episodes pales in comparison to 2 and 3. The over worlds in Thieves in Time were the biggest yet, but the amount of missions were the smallest yet, which resulted in each over world feeling pretty empty.

Berordn

I was also confused for most of the game regarding Le Paradox's master plan. So he wants to create an ancient kingly/princely lineage for himself...why is that such a bad thing? So he's the king of Arabia or whatever in present day - why would that threaten anyone or anything? I understand the stuff about wanting to be the best thief ever, stealing the Cooper canes, etc. but that part didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Well, the main issue was that he was
using that fake lineage to take over the whole world. If he was just going to be king of Arabia, that's still bad and Cooper being noble would've put a stop to it anyway. But if it gave him that much sway in Paris too, you can imagine why he would've had to put a stop to it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, the main issue was that he was
using that fake lineage to take over the whole world. If he was just going to be king of Arabia, that's still bad and Cooper being noble would've put a stop to it anyway. But if it gave him that much sway in Paris too, you can imagine why he would've had to put a stop to it.

That doesn't make any sense though.
How, exactly, does having an ancient lineage enable him to take over the world?

Top Bottom