• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

AniHawk

god damn. i was gonna just get fire emblem and ni no kuni next week. i forgot all about this.

gonna pick it up. never played a sly before, but this will probably be the last major platformer of the generation.

Bad7667

Shocking confession: this will be my first Sly game.

Yeah I haven't played any Sly games until I tried the demo a couple days ago. I don't know if its just a bad demo but god it was horrible.

The Sly gameplay was fine, but everything after was shockingly bad. The stupid mini-game the turtle does and the hippo was just a really shallow beat em up, and so boring I just quit.

I was really surprised by the demo because of how many people love these games, maybe I should try the collection.

But then I'd have to tear myself away from Ni No Kuni.

They are relativity short, so you won't be away too long.

Will this be available to download over PSN for PS3 on release as well?
Yep. But you know how it is with the PSN updates, you could be waiting until late at night just for the update itself, then have to wait for it to download. That's why I personally go for retail copies.

jono95

Can't wait! Only discovered the series recently. I've still gotta finish off 2 and 3 before I buy this though.

RyoonZ

Banned
Of R&C, Jak and Daxter and Sly, I love Sly the most. I got into this series from the HD Collection, played through the series was an awesome experience. Tried the demo, it's great. Can't wait for this!

Derrick01

Banned
I don't expect this game to be anything more than mediocre at best since it's trying to be a normal Sly game but it should be a decent diversion for a day or two. Getting it on Vita.

Not even 2 full months and I've already bought 2 Sony exclusives. 2013 > 2012 already.

Doesn't scare me. Even if it got 1/10 from most sites, i'd still buy it.
Seriously. Plus it's the opinion of someone who isn't a fan of the series, so it really doesn't pertain to me. Now if someone who actually played the first three says it's bad, then I can start to worry. Not enough to retract my fully paid Pre order though.

beason52

Neo Member
Huge J&D and R&C fan here and I am very interested but the demo was kinda meh to me. I don't doubt that the full game will be better. If it wasn't coming to Vita I would be less interested. Platforming just feels so right on Vita.
They need to release the Sly, J&D, and R&C collections for Vita as well.

that european release date :(

still yayyayyay sly 4 can't believe it actually was made.

Worst thing is that the euro review embargo is so fucking late compared to when the game launches in the US, and the fact that I've had retail code since December makes it even more crazy.

I'll try to find out when the US embargo is and probably write up my impressions of the Vita version before release of the game.

Tizoc

Seriously. Plus it's the opinion of someone who isn't a fan of the series, so it really doesn't pertain to me. Now if someone who actually played the first three says it's bad, then I can start to worry. Not enough to retract my fully paid Pre order though.

Hmm yeah if someone who has played all 3 games could give feedback/impressions on this one I'd much rather hear theirs.
...but i enjoyed the demo and am expecting it to live up to its predecessors.

I wish this game the best. Will pick it up, but unfortunately not for the next 3 months, with Ni No Kuni and God of War the month after.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm yeah if someone who has played all 3 games could give feedback/impressions on this one I'd much rather hear theirs.
...but i enjoyed the demo and am expecting some good stealth platforming ^_^.

No one who's played a Sly game would expect good stealth or platforming. It's brain dead easy in each one and this seems no different from the demos.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Disgusting EU date.

Pass or wait for a price drop. Not sure yet.

What's with the low price point?
They want to get it to as many people as they can? Maybe they don't want to push their luck, being a new developer and all. Plus they probably saw how PSASBR sold and decided to cut the price to try and keep that from happening. (Since one of the main complaints was that $60 was too much for a game like that.)

VanWinkle

I wonder whats so atrocious about this game?

Everything seems really great so far.

Only thing I can think of is if it was really short.

It wouldn't be short. Hanmik has been playing the review copy for like two months now to get 100% of collectibles and everything. They both mentioned long load times. So maybe that's it? I dunno, that's not a big deal to me, but I could see for some people.

krae_man

I'm ready to get started on my fourth Sly Cooper Platinum trophy.

I stopped after Platinum #2. I can't stand shitty friends. Maybe I will go back at some point. Still excited for this game. Managed to snag the PS3 version for $24.99!

I don't care how bad it is. A 3D HD platformer alone is enough to shell out $40. I love Sly anyway and the demo (from R&C:C) seemed solid.

AAK

OH wow, this is releasing Next week?

I haven't seen a single trailer for this... but I did play Sly 2 and 3. How the heck is there a sequel starring the same character after Sly 3's ending???

Kambing

Buying this day 1 because my daughter really enjoyed watching me play the demo and has been continuously nagging about it. The characters really are great =).

I have not played a Sly game prior, so i don't know if the past games were like this, but the demo really made the game seem over simplified. It felt like it was really lacking depth in terms of player input, enemy encounters and level design. Hoping the game does not turn out this way so at the very least i will be able to derive some enjoyment out of playing it, like the R&C/Mario series.

Great OP btw

I have not played a Sly game prior, so i don't know if the past games were like this, but the demo really made the game seem over simplified. It felt like it was really lacking depth in terms of player input, enemy encounters and level design. Hoping the game does not turn out this way so at the very least i will be able to derive some enjoyment out of playing it, like the R&C/Mario series.

Great OP btw

That seems like it will be the biggest complaint from critics, but since the games were made for a younger audience, I don't really see the big deal. It has never been about difficulty, its been about the fun, and that's what I love about the franchise.

It wouldn't be short. Hanmik has been playing the review copy for like two months now to get 100% of collectibles and everything. They both mentioned long load times. So maybe that's it? I dunno, that's not a big deal to me, but I could see for some people.

Long load times are the least of its problems for me. The game feels like it's been riped out of a PS2 and polished up to HD without doing it right. Not just in terms of visuals but in terms of gameplay systems.

Everything feels like it's from early PS2 era and while thats fun and great when you're thinking about it conceptually and having the nostalgia glasses on, actually playing it is a much different reality where you are playing a game that doesn't flow well, has controls fighting you and mini-games that are used far too often and are far too boring.

If you dearly love the original games, played the HD trilogy and went "I still love this", then I have no doubt that this one will be a great experience for you. Personally I just don't have the strong nostalgia for the series, and therefore don't have a build-in love for what it is doing. Some people will love the living shit out of this game, and some really won't. Which is what some will probably get out of the demo when it's available for all platforms and all countries.

I do hope this does well for Sony, the universe is great and conceptually there is something really interesting to be found in the Sly world. It just needs to be done in the context of modern game design.

KalBalboa

Banned
Long load times are the least of its problems for me. The game feels like it's been riped out of a PS2 and polished up to HD without doing it right. Not just in terms of visuals but in terms of gameplay systems.

Everything feels like it's from early PS2 era and while thats fun and great when you're thinking about it conceptually and having the nostalgia glasses on, actually playing it is a much different reality where you are playing a game that doesn't flow well, has controls fighting you and mini-games that are used far too often and are far too boring.

There's one moment where the game really shows what it could have been, had the developers taken more freedom and not just doing a Sly 4 from the PS2 era product, but sadly that promise is killed when you move on to the next hub world.

If you dearly love the original games, played the HD trilogy and went "I still love this", then I have no doubt that this one will be a great experience for you. Personally I just don't have the strong nostalgia for the series, and therefore don't have a build-in love for what it is doing. Some people will love the living shit out of this game, and some really won't.

I do hope this does well for Sony, the universe is great and conceptually there is something really interesting to be found in the Sly world. It just needs to be done in the context of modern game design.

Seems like a fair, constructive piece of criticism. I think Sony is after young blood with this entry, but I'm just glad to see more platformers being made with decent effort behind it.

Tagg9

The first levels are historically extremely linear and pretty limited in scope design-wise. With any luck, the rest of the game should be a bit deeper. But I can see that being a valid complaint with the series as a whole.

KalBalboa

Banned
Is Sly Cooper really fun? lol I actually own the HD Collection unplayed, but I'm scared of disappointment.

It's simple but fun. I'm part of the Jak camp of PS2 platformers, but I discovered Sly thanks to the HD collection and really dug it.

Go in knowing it's pretty easy going and you should have a good time.

If you dearly love the original games, played the HD trilogy and went "I still love this", then I have no doubt that this one will be a great experience for you. Personally I just don't have the strong nostalgia for the series, and therefore don't have a build-in love for what it is doing. Some people will love the living shit out of this game, and some really won't. Which is what some will probably get out of the demo when it's available for all platforms and all countries.

I get that, as I said, the game would be appreciated a bit more by fans, since it was basically made by fans. Also could you give the size of the game for Vita so I can know how much space to clear up before hand?

Is Sly Cooper really fun? lol I actually own the HD Collection unplayed, but I'm scared of disappointment.
They are great. But you should play them and decide that for yourself. Really great franchise though.

I get that, as I said, the game would be appreciated a bit more by fans, since it was basically made by fans. Also could you give the size of the game for Vita so I can know how much space to clear up before hand?

They are great. But you should play them and decide that for yourself. Really great franchise though.

Not a exact number, but close to 4 gigs, since I had to delete everything of my 4gb memory card and it maxed it out. So I would say around 3.8 or so.

Not a exact number, but close to 4 gigs, since I had to delete everything of my 4gb memory card and it maxed it out. So I would say around 3.8 or so.
Geez, that's bigger than Uncharted. Guess Jet Set Radio and U:GA gotta go then. Man, that's a lot bigger than I expected.

Ah, thanks for that. I think I will have to find time to play through it little by little :)

and where are my manners, GREAT OP and I appreciate all your hard work! Definitely interested!

Tizoc

Gatdayum, I've got a 32 GB, but that's huge lol. The biggest game I dled was 2 GB I think.

Top Bottom