• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

I want to get this, played the first to Plat when it was free on PS+ never bought the other two though. Will grab this when it comes out though, got £60 in my SEN Wallet doing nothing at the moment. Shame we have such a long wait compared to the US.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
e17rtka.gif

Hanmik

Not a exact number, but close to 4 gigs, since I had to delete everything of my 4gb memory card and it maxed it out. So I would say around 3.8 or so.

my downloadlist tells me 3185mb / 3358mb / 3368mb / 3200mb.. that´s the Euro version, different language options.. so the US version is probably 3185mb.

wouwie

Long load times are the least of its problems for me. The game feels like it's been riped out of a PS2 and polished up to HD without doing it right. Not just in terms of visuals but in terms of gameplay systems.

Everything feels like it's from early PS2 era and while thats fun and great when you're thinking about it conceptually and having the nostalgia glasses on, actually playing it is a much different reality where you are playing a game that doesn't flow well, has controls fighting you and mini-games that are used far too often and are far too boring.

If you dearly love the original games, played the HD trilogy and went "I still love this", then I have no doubt that this one will be a great experience for you. Personally I just don't have the strong nostalgia for the series, and therefore don't have a build-in love for what it is doing. Some people will love the living shit out of this game, and some really won't. Which is what some will probably get out of the demo when it's available for all platforms and all countries.

I do hope this does well for Sony, the universe is great and conceptually there is something really interesting to be found in the Sly world. It just needs to be done in the context of modern game design.

Seems like they made a Sly 2/3 HD version then? I really wish they had opted for a modern Sly 1 game instead because that one was by far the best one in the collection. I loved Sly 1, then went straight into Sly2 but never finished it. Never really bothered with Sly 3 for that reason.

No flow, controls fighting you and mini-games sounds worrying. I have this on pre-order but will definately have to check the demo tonight to see it for myself. Still plenty of time to decide if i should get this day one (EU). But i remain positive for the time being.

Any idea when the review embargo lifts for the US?

Hanmik

I have been playing the Vita version since december.. I only need a few trophies, but some of them are just taking way too long to unlock.. I have some good advice for Trophy hunters, just ask away if you want help.:!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
60fps? Very cool.

I'd love the opinion on how good/bad the game is from someone who loves Nintendo's efforts, including their Wii's output as far platformers go (Mario 3D/2D, both Kirby, DKCR...). I'll take that opinion to my heart, seeing that I never seem to share the taste of PS3 owners who love their Crash/Jak&Dexter/R&C, which I just find plain boring (well I loved the first couple of Crash back in the PSX days but that's it).
Iirc I didn't care much for Sly 2 (only in the series which I've briefly played for 3 or 4 hours when it came out on PS2) but if there's compelling stealth, challenging and fast platforming, story that doesn't get in the way of gameplay too much and 60fps then I'm interested out of principles.

I just usually find western developed platformers to be very boring, repetitive, collectathon-esque games lacking punch... even the original DKC games do nothing for me, DKC:Returns has been the exception to such rule (amazing game).

But again, I'd love to love/like this game, so I guess... entice me? I don't own a Wii-U so some HD platforming goodness would be very welcomed in my collection :)

Nice OP dude.

Am I right in thinking that the demo goes up today for regular users on the US PSN store? I've played all the Sly games, both in their standard and HD iterations, and I'm a fair bit of a fan (3 had its issues though), but I want to check out the demo before I import.

And what's the deal with the UK and Europe having to wait nearly two more months until we can get it? That's some bullshit Sony.

I'm torn on which version to get. Obviously the ps3 version is the better deal but someone needs to buy a copy on vita or else a month from now we will learn it sold 5000 copies and the whole vita/platformers are doomed nonsense will start again.

stalker

60fps? Very cool.

I'd love the opinion on how good/bad the game is from someone who loves Nintendo's efforts, including their Wii's output as far platformers go (Mario 3D/2D, both Kirby, DKCR...). I'll take that opinion to my heart, seeing that I never seem to share the taste of PS3 owners who love their Crash/Jak&Dexter/R&C, which I just find plain boring (well I loved the first couple of Crash back in the PSX days but that's it).
Iirc I didn't care much for Sly 2 (only in the series which I've briefly played for 3 or 4 hours when it came out on PS2) but if there's compelling stealth, challenging and fast platforming, story that doesn't get in the way of gameplay too much and 60fps then I'm interested out of principles.

I just usually find western developed platformers to be very boring, repetitive, collectathon-esque games lacking punch... even the original DKC games do nothing for me, DKC:Returns has been the exception to such rule (amazing game).

But again, I'd love to love/like this game, so I guess... entice me? I don't own a Wii-U so some HD platforming goodness would be very welcomed in my collection :)

I would say that independently of how good this game is compared to the original trilogy on the PS2 you should be very cautious, just based on your own words of what you like and what you find boring and the expectations you may have for what a good platformer is.

Verendus

Banned
I will be there day one for this game. There are only about three games who have had that honour. I've been on blackout pretty much, so this will be a fresh experience.

topplehat

Played the demo finally. It's safe to say if you like the other Sly games (especially 2/3), then you will like it. It feels very similar to those.

Salaadin

Does cross buy also mean cross saves....can I upload my PS3 save to the cloud and then download it onto my Vita and pick up where I left off?

Blader

Seems like they made a Sly 2/3 HD version then? I really wish they had opted for a modern Sly 1 game instead because that one was by far the best one in the collection. I loved Sly 1, then went straight into Sly2 but never finished it. Never really bothered with Sly 3 for that reason.

Hah, that's basically word-for-word my experience with this franchise too.

Still really interested in this game though, I'll dl the demo just as soon as my PS3 stops refusing my wifi connection.

BiggNife

I'm curious, especially considering the price, but I'm going to wait for reviews. Sanzaru is an untested developer and the lack of publicity from Sony makes me a bit wary.

I'm guessing this is more in the vein of Sly 2 and 3? I loved 1, 2 was okay but disappointing. Never got around to playing 3 but I heard it was a step up from 2.

Hanmik

Hanmik, would you say you share vinterbird's negativity about the game?

yes...

Sly fans will love this game, no doubt about it.

Downers for me:
- way way way to many minigames. They get boring fast
- Sly is a better character than the rest, so the rest of the people fell off when you play as them, which you do alot.
- My biggest gripe though. Load times they are terrible for a handheld game. Really terrible. +1 minutes sometimes. Bad for a handheld game.
- some graphical hicups.. slowdown and small glitches.
- and yes, the gameplay is oldschool.. maybe a little too oldschool.
- The main game is not hard, it´s actually easy, but there is a lot of challenge hidden in the game, if you like to collect stuff..

But otherwise it´s a fun game. Story is fun and ok. The gameplay is exactly like the old games.

there is other stuff that feels wrong, but reviews will probably cover them soon. (EU embargo is in march..lol )

But if you are a fan pick it up ..

ohh I´m talking about the Vita version here.

dan2026

- My biggest gripe though. Load times they are terrible for a handheld game. Really terrible. +1 minutes sometimes. Bad for a handheld game.
- some graphical hicups.. slowdown and small glitches.

Yeah the Vita version sounds like a massive downer.

Will still try it.
Hopefully they will patch the loading.

Derrick01

Banned
Downers for me:
- way way way to many minigames. They get boring fast
- Sly is a better character than the rest, so the rest of the people fell off when you play as them, which you do alot.

Yup it's a Sly game alright. I really don't even know why I'm buying this. If only the redbox machine near me wasn't such a piece of shit that gets nothing in time *sigh*

In fact I may have to change my preorder to the PS3 version since the Vita one seems so shitty. It'll probably get more trade in credit too since it'll be in (slightly) higher demand than Vita.

Whoever came up with the OP subtitle: Kudos.
Hehe, thanks. It was between that "Sly Pooper Peed in Time" from the animated short, or something similar to "With Cross Buy & $40 price tag, this game is a STEAL". Glad I went with the clever route rather than funny.

dan2026

Also why the hell do they assume we want to play as Sly's crappy friends?

Its the Sonic syndrome all over again.
Shadow the Hedgehog is sooo cool right guys, right?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
About halfway through my replay of the HD revisions... hopefully done in time for this. :)

jwk94

I dont see why people hate playing as Sly's friends. I'm going through Sly 3 and I quite like it. It gets boring playing as the same 3 people over and over again.

Derrick01

Banned
Also why the hell do they assume we want to play as Sly's crappy friends?

Its the Sonic syndrome all over again.
Shadow the Hedgehog is sooo cool right guys, right?

It's not even just playing as them that's the problem. It's that when you do you know there's 5 minigames coming around the corner since they can't do what Sly does. Hell they even tack on a bunch of shit games to Sly's parts in 3.

Ice King said:
Because Sly's friends aren't crappy? At least not Bentley and Murray.

Those 2 are the absolute worst. Stupid sounding hippo and annoying turtle who talks way too much.

Top Bottom