• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

krae_man

Yeah it also seems to depend on what other sounds are going on around it. Sometimes I'll hear the bottle sound and it will take me 30 seconds of looking to figure out where it is coming from, other times the sound didn't kick in until I was practically touching it. That and the sound effects completely cut out from time to time.

The sound effects programming seems to be not very good.

jwk94

Damn these masks! I have to run through the most of the game again because I forgot to check some of the missions for masks!

Berordn

Yeah it also seems to depend on what other sounds are going on around it. Sometimes I'll hear the bottle sound and it will take me 30 seconds of looking to figure out where it is coming from, other times the sound didn't kick in until I was practically touching it. That and the sound effects completely cut out from time to time.

The sound effects programming seems to be not very good.

I can't say I've had that happen to me. What version are you playing?

Yuripaw

Banned
I know this is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I don't want to read the whole thing >_< Do you have to have prior experience with the Sly games to play this and appreciate this one? Checked out the giantbomb quick look, and I do really like the look of this game, but I don't know I'm ready to do a play of the whole series or anything. Since it's a cross buy game, it's also appealing.

I know this is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I don't want to read the whole thing >_< Do you have to have prior experience with the Sly games to play this and appreciate this one? Checked out the giantbomb quick look, and I do really like the look of this game, but I don't know I'm ready to do a play of the whole series or anything. Since it's a cross buy game, it's also appealing.

Check the OP.

jwk94

Alright guys, i need some help again. I'm in
Sir Galleth's level
with my
Arabian costume
and I can't find the damn lever. Where is it?

EDIT:

Found it. Now just gotta get the masks -_-

I finished Sly Cooper 3 recently and it kind of left a sour after taste, although I really don't like the art direction in this game is it more like the first game or more like 2/3? Because I LOVED the first game.

Derrick01

Banned
Do the bottles still make a clinking sound when you are near them?

Yes. There's 1 in particular right outside of the base in the first world that is driving me nuts. I have no idea where it is so I have to assume it's somewhere underground and I just can't get it to yet.

The Lamp

I just got to the first boss fight.

This is the best Sly game since the original. It refines ideas from all 3 and the platforming is just so fun. I love the big heist feel with all of Slys pals. The writing and animation is stellar. I'm in love with this game so far.

Leave Sanzaru to Sly. They do it better than Sucker Punch did it the last 2 times lol.

Great Charleston i'd put this one way above Sly 3, above Sly 2, and about as good as Sly 1 even though it's seen a lot of changes since the first Sly.

Also I don't know about you guys but playing on the PS3, the cel shading is gorgeous.

JohngPR

Fuuuu, I vowed that I was going to play through Sly 2 and 3 before this came out and am halfway through Sly 2 and haven't even started Sly 3. :(

I bought it despite Sony's lack of a promotional push to support Sanzaru and the Sly Cooper franchise. I guess I shouldn't have the attitude that I have to wait to play it since I've never played through Sly 2 and 3 before so this is all new to me....but the new and shiniest is always more tempting. :p

Berordn

Weird, I've either never noticed it or it's something to do with sound setup. But I just have it coming through HDMI so I doubt that's it.

I finished Sly Cooper 3 recently and it kind of left a sour after taste, although I really don't like the art direction in this game is it more like the first game or more like 2/3? Because I LOVED the first game.

Honestly, it's a lot more like the first game. Even though it has the hubs from 2 and 3 (which are gigantic now, and true levels in their own right), the missions for each are straight up platforming levels, and it's like Sly 1 in that sense.

You do have the other characters popping in fairly often, but most of them are close enough to Sly's gameplay that it doesn't feel that bad... to me, anyway. A lot of complaints in reviews is the abundance of minigames and how you're required to play other characters, both of them things I didn't have any issue with and hated myself in 2 and 3.

The Lamp

I'm not almost done with world 2. The platforming levels are so good, wow. And the ancestor is more fun to play with than Sly lol.

What am I doing wrong in World 3 during the Operation?
I'm playing as Bob and it's telling me to "Loosen the valves" by rotating the right stick, but he's just moving a little to the left and that's it.
It's really starting to frustrate me.

Ridley327

I'm beginning to see why getting high score on all the arcade games is a gold trophy. The Alter Ego machines are fucking retarded with their high scores.

I'm playing as Bob and it's telling me to "Loosen the valves" by rotating the right stick, but he's just moving a little to the left and that's it.

That's one of the smaller problems I nhad with the game, especially when trying to unlock the safes.

I'm beginning to see why getting high score on all the arcade games is a gold trophy. The Alter Ego machines are fucking retarded with their high scores.

First time I tried I was only 200 away from getting the high-score.

Camjo-Z

Don't remember having trouble with that part. Maybe
it might be the left stick you have to rotate? And if that isn't working have you tried just pressing up and down? I know Murray has to do that for some of his lever-pulling sections.

zroid

Banned
yPeAyhu.jpg

That bottom shot in particular is great. This game has such a slick art direction. I imagine it's difficult to pull off a "dark" look while still being colourful and vibrant.

Kurod

Banned

Just keep rotating the right stick clockwise even if he looks like he's stopping and he'll continue his thing.

The Lamp

I just finished it. Overall it was ok, but I'm a little disappointed.
Way too many mini games and not enough solid platforming. The actual platforming was far too focused on the gimmicks of each ancestor/costume and just didn't hold a candle to Sly 1.
I hated the Bentley's hacking segments and they seemed to occur every five minutes in this game.
The first few worlds were enjoyable, but it soon got repetitive and by level 4 I wanted it to be over. It was towards the end that the game also fell in quality. Level 5 was both short and rather "meh". The platforming at the end
with all the ancestors at once
was completely banal and I just wanted to get to the next part.
The end boss was an utter joke.

The levels, while much larger than those in Sly 2 and 3, where unnecessarily large. The extra size is only used to pad it full of collectibles and treasures. It just becomes harder to navigate and find clue bottles. I don't particularly feel an urge to get 100% on this game with all the weird locations of sly masks and the time it would take. I did get 100% on the first three games however. The actual mission lengths remain about the same as the original games.

I hope I'm not alone in feeling that each boss was far too silly and unformidable. There was no short of silliness in the original games, but somehow I felt at least that I could take the enemies seriously. Mugshot, Panda King, Rajan,The Contessa,Jean Bison and Clockwerk were all great bosses in terms of the fear they can create, while still keeping it light and kid friendly. Not to mention the wonderful atmosphere in the viscious voodoo level in the first game. Each time I encountered a boss in this game, I don't particularly get a feeling that the boss fight is going to be challenging at all.
La Paradox
makes a poor villain.

I was also let down with the story. They had huge potential with this, and they wasted it. I wanted at least an acknowledgement of Sly's parents or something a little more complex than what actually happened. I predicted the "twist" pretty early on. The time travel mechanic was merely an excuse for the different environments and ancestors. A story felt slapped on it afterwards. Additionally, the ancestor's did not feel very inspired.

On the bright side, the game is beautiful. I really enjoyed the art style, if some character designs were a little too detailed for my tastes. Unfortunately my ps3 had several frame rate issues with the game, but it held up most of the time. Additionally, when there were many platforming areas that were done very well and reminded me of the older games. I feel like this all could be improved for the next Sly. I hope it will happen.

For reference, I loved Sly 1 and 2. I felt that Sly 3 was the lowest point in the series. I rank this higher than Sly 3 but it doesn't match the first two games. I do not rate it as low as Adam Sessler, but his review was spot on in many respects.

The Bentley hacking games are like once or twice a world and last like 5 minutes tops...

The Lamp

So it really is like the first Sly game then? Neat. Just gonna wait for European release now.

It's like the first Sly in terms of platforming focus and in carefully designed smaller levels, but it uses a hub world like Sly 2 and 3. All Sly games have had collectibles, except 3 I think.

Berordn

It's like the first Sly in terms of platforming focus and in carefully designed smaller levels, but it uses a hub world like Sly 2 and 3. All Sly games have had collectibles, except 3 I think.

Yeah, three axed the clue bottles and treasures around the map for a more linear game, which had the hubs change somewhat drastically in a few levels. Would've been okay if the levels didn't axe almost all elements of Sly's gameplay around the halfway mark.

Are there ever arrow barrels that don't have a target within range? I"m in world 2 with one treasure to go and there are at least a couple arrow barrels which seemingly have no targets close by.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought they were going to make Tennessee into a Texas badass outlaw. Instead he fell off Honey Boo Boo.

Skyzard

Banned
I very much disagree with you. I just got done playing a little bit of Sly 3, and the difference is DRASTIC.

By the way, here's a small comparison between the PS3 and Vita versions in the episode 3 hub world. Only view if you have already got to that point or you don't really care what the world environments are. Differences in color are because one is direct feed (Vita), and one is a camera shot (PS3).

PS3
Vita

PS3
Vita

Can definitely see the lighting effects drawback on the Vita:
PS3
Vita

And the decrease in draw distance (as you said Grim: I compared it more and it definitely is quite a bit worse):
PS3
Vita

Overall the Vita version does still look great.

Thanks for the screens, very useful. It still looks okay on Vita but it does look great on PS3. Is the difference enough that you find yourself playing the Vita version less, or put off when you do play it?

I can only really see myself playing this on Vita, guess I won't be missing out too much although I probably will get it cross-buy when it finally comes out here.

VanWinkle

Thanks for the screens, very useful. It still looks okay on Vita but it does look great on PS3. Is the difference enough that you find yourself playing the Vita version less?
(I can only really see myself playing this on Vita)

No. There's no doubt the PS3 version looks a good deal better but I play the Vita version more and have no problem whatsoever with that :)

Ridley327

One more arcade high score to go, and it's the goddamn regular Alter Ego. I got to 24k on one of my runs, but I just don't see how I'm screwing up so bad to the point where I'm usually two thousand points off. Super Alter Ego was a lot easier in comparison, since there's more sections, you get a do-over on the level that has the Sly Mask portal, and it's just lousy with enemies and power-ups. I just don't see the rhyme or the reason.

Derrick01

Banned
I finished episode 1 just now and got the 30 bottles. Not sure what the chiming I'm still hearing is, probably a treasure alert. But anyway it's a decent game for what it is but it has the same exact problems the other Sly games have. It's way too easy and too reliant on minigames during missions. I breezed through every job in episode 1 without any challenge at all, even the boss.

Through act 2! If you like sly cooper, this rox. I am having such a good time.

I'm glad that fans are appeased.

I've never played a Sly game before this (well, just the first level of Sly 1, really), but I am having an absolute blast with this.

Some people have been knocking the game for its minigames, but I think they're a great way to provide variety. The game just has so much variety, that I can't put it down. I know that every mission or task ahead of me will be different enough to keep me playing.

And there are so many laugh out loud moments, too! The voice acting, the writing, it's all there. Kevin Miller said it in the latest podcast from second funniest podcast: Sly should be an animated cartoon as well.

This could very well end up being one of my favorite games of this generation.

jwk94

Finished it earlier today. I can't believe I clocked in ~40 hours. This game is absolutely phenomenal. I just need a few more trophies!

Top Bottom