• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly: Thieves In Time Coming To (Vita/PS3)!!

Omega

Banned
Is it just me or is Sony doing the Vita so poorly?

Its the same problem I had with the PSP. There's just no incentive for me to get it because almost all of the best games are just console franchise spinoffs, which would be better suited to a console to begin with. Sometimes they just end up getting ported to consoles like the GTA stories games for PS2 and those God of War PSP games that got put on PS3.

It's not like Nintendo and how they handle their handhelds. Sure it has the Mario and Zelda games, but it has other stuff which separates it like Pokemon, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc.

Even the Mario games are just more than spinoffs so it still differentiates itself from the mainline console Marios. (ex: Mario & Luigi)

I know the Vita is still new but everything that seems to be getting announced and developed is just PS3 games that can only be played on PSV. It would be cool if it was universal, but you have to buy the PSV version as well so why bother touting the "play anywhere" feature.

Mario007

Its the same problem I had with the PSP. There's just no incentive for me to get it because almost all of the best games are just console franchise spinoffs, which would be better suited to a console to begin with. Sometimes they just end up getting ported to consoles like the GTA stories games for PS2 and those God of War PSP games that got put on PS3.

It's not like Nintendo and how they handle their handhelds. Sure it has the Mario and Zelda games, but it has other stuff which separates it like Pokemon, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc.

Even the Mario games are just more than spinoffs so it still differentiates itself from the mainline console Marios. (ex: Mario & Luigi)

I know the Vita is still new but everything that seems to be getting announced and developed is just PS3 games that can only be played on PSV. It would be cool if it was universal, but you have to buy the PSV version as well so why bother touting the "play anywhere" feature.

It's one of the things they promoted with the Vita- transfarring and cross-platform play so they're delivering on that. It's not like Vita doesn't have original titles from well recognised dev teams.

It could have been a way to get the Vita's foot in the door. If people knew by buying the system they would have a sizable library of PS3 and PSN games that were automatically playable, it would make it more appealing. In a world of universal apps, nobody is going to buy the same game twice. The fact that Sony pushes that so hard in the MLB commercials, only if an interested consumer looks into it they find they have to spend nearly $100 FOR A SINGLE GAME, is so stupid. Clearly they knew it would be an important feature, what with the emphasis on transferring and showing RUNE at their e3 press conference, but they still dropped the ball. And don't give me this "They are two separate games with 2 separate budgets" stuff. For games like MLB or Sly, they should have planned this out from the beginning to NOT have 2 separate budgets. Make the Vita version a slightly downgraded straight port that you can do on the cheap. Use these games as something to get people interested as a complement to the higher profile exclusive stuff like Gravity Daze or Uncharted Golden Abyss.

That is fucking great news!!! I was so-so about getting it on the ps3 but I will definitely get it for my VITA!!!

Just got the platinum for Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus last night, great little game.

Mario007

It could have been a way to get the Vita's foot in the door. If people knew by buying the system they would have a sizable library of PS3 and PSN games that were automatically playable, it would make it more appealing. In a world of universal apps, nobody is going to buy the same game twice. The fact that Sony pushes that so hard in the MLB commercials, only if an interested consumer looks into it they find they have to spend nearly $100 FOR A SINGLE GAME, is so stupid. Clearly they knew it would be an important feature, what with the emphasis on transferring and showing RUNE at their e3 press conference, but they still dropped the ball.

Ruin (now Warrior's Lair) is actually said to be buy one get two version, I think. And that's a retail game, so maybe we'll see more of it.

Loudninja

So it comes out the same time as the PS3 version ,and yeah you can play it on the PS3, and pick up where you left off on the Vita.

The world of universal apps where they have no physical release and dont have to worry about used games etc...

For the psn games, they actually give me hustle kings for free since I already own the ps3 version. That was neat.

Neither of those two franchises are Nintendo's.

I get your point but I don't see what relevance that has in this thread, where a mainline game is coming out on both systems simultaneously. If the Vita version is gimped then yeah, there's a problem, but if they're basically the same, I don't see the difference between this and the 3DS/WiiU Smash Bros. Plus, let's be real, Sly's never going to be a system seller for either system, so putting it on both won't hurt.

tzare

they could make a digital deal, 60€ for both versions on PSN as being tied to accounts wouldn't hurt developer probably, and a similar approach like MLB for retail

TripOpt55

The footage they showed looked really great. They had this big platforming section with Sly's knight ancestor. I think this game seems to be doing a fantastic job of using the formula for 2/3 but with more platforming sections which is exactly what I'd want from a Sly sequel. Sanzaru deserves a ton of credit based on what I have seen so far they are nailing this.

ReaperXL7

I would agree with this if there was no Vita exclusive content coming aswell, as it stands though most of the games i'm personally looking forward to are original PSV only titles. I see the console ports as good filler, and essentially another tier of content because you can choose to buy it for the console, choose to have it portable, or both if you like.

I think once Sony can get things up and running there will be a solid amount of content on a regular basis, If they keep adding PSP games on a weekly basis, add PS1 support, add PS2 support (don't know if they "can" do this) get the suite up and running, all while getting ports like this, and original content like Sound Shapes, DJMAX, Soul Scarifice, etc. It adds up to alot of possible content for the Vita.

I just hope it can find some footing so these things can happen which is going to take some smart moves from Sony to make do so. A price cut would go along way I think, but I don't know what they are making on hardware now so who knows when that will happen.

Loudninja

PS blog post with pics
Now for more big news! Ever since we revealed the game, fans have been asking me about PS Vita, arguing that Sly would be a great game to take on the go. I completely agree…and I can now confirm that Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time will be shipping this fall on BOTH the PS3 and the PS Vita, on the same day.

The portable version will contain all the same awesome Sly Cooper action you will find on the PS3 along with cool Vita-specific features that incorporate the front and rear touchscreens and motion controls. The game will also feature cross-save capability, so you’ll be able to save the game from either machine and then pick up right where you left off — whether you’re at home or on the go.

So there you go! We are thrilled to finally show Carmelita in action — she’s a big fan favorite and I know everyone will love how she looks and plays in the latest installment of the series — and to be announcing the PS Vita version of the game. It’s been a crazy ride over the last few months, but when we see the results we know it was worth it. :D So stay tuned for more PS Vita details including date and price coming very soon.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...lita-revealed-for-sly-cooper-thieves-in-time/

M.D

now I wonder if Vita can manage 60fps as well

I was excited for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time before, but something about the game on the Vita really clicked for me. Switching to Sly's Robin Hood-like costume, I'd shoot arrows and steer them through the air with the Vita's tilt controls, and it was fun. Sure, the Vita version drops the action from 60 frames per second to 30, but Thieves in Time still looked pretty and as colorful as the console experience.

IGN

This is the sort of game I'd honestly never buy for the PS3 or 360, not due to the price tag but because I'd probably never sit down and play the damn thing.

On the Vita? I'm there in a heartbeat.

Loudninja

I was excited for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time before, but something about the game on the Vita really clicked for me. Switching to Sly's Robin Hood-like costume, I'd shoot arrows and steer them through the air with the Vita's tilt controls, and it was fun. Sure, the Vita version drops the action from 60 frames per second to 30, but Thieves in Time still looked pretty and as colorful as the console experience.

IGN
Heh he really likes the Vita version.

DBT85

Good. More games like this need to be on both. Let people decide what platform to play it on. Both can still have their own games too.

IGN

oh well, as long as it's solid 30, I'll choose Vita version

30 fps?

I like my vita but I'll go with ps3 version.

Unless its half the price for half the framerate.

But I think it will be 40-50 bucks on vita :/

mangaroo

Banned

Absolutely, there doesn't seem to be any neck-breaking speeds to require the 60fps... (wipeout -.-) and even that is manageable. I'm sure Sly Cooper will be fine.

Also agree about never bothering to sit down and play this on a big tv - just don't tend to do what very much these days. On the vita - couch/bed etc, anytime. Infact I've been wanting a 3d platformer since it was released and I am glad we're finally seeing one for the vita.

Rootbeer

Banned
30 FPS is fine... this isn't a FPS, 60fps isn't going to improve the gameplay in any big way. I'd rather have more detailed characters and backgrounds and increased view distance (looks quite good in the trailer!) instead of more FPS.

If it were dipping into mid-twenties that would be pretty bad. But 30 is acceptable.

I have never played a Sly game but I like seeing more platformers on the Vita. Probably will pick this up.

tiku

3D platformers fit really great in hanhelds. I think this is a great release for Vita due its nature.

hatchx

Banned
Looks like a great game. The environments are big and it looks like it gives the player a lot of choice on how to tackle situations.

If I remember correctly, Sly Cooper 1 was mostly linear (still fun). This looks like a step up for sure.

tzare

3D platformers fit really great in hanhelds. I think this is a great release for Vita due its nature.

yup , plus this kind of visual style may even look 'better' on a handheld screen than on a huge TV. I've never played a Sly game before, i hope there's a demo available

pd. hola!!! [chun]

Top Bottom