• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting

Saganator

Realistically we need to follow the European approach and make the cost of driving/getting a license really expensive.

But neither republicans nor democrats want that.

Public transportation is not good enough for this to work in the US, otherwise I'd agree.

I had a cousin killed by someone running a red light because they were on their phone. It definitely needs to be treated as DUI with heavy fines.

And some companies are at fault for this as well. A number of places don't care if you were driving when they call or email you. If you don't respond immediately, you could run the risk of losing your job.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Has anybody looked to see if these are effective?

How enforceable are they and do they reduce usage?

(this isn't a knock against them, but to say there needs to be more done)

This seems like its got to be a culture thing, and the manufacturers need to do more to highlight the dangers. Apples do not disturb stuff is a good start

in the UK it became illegal to drive while on the phone in 2003. The punishment is anywhere from a fine to a driving ban.

people obviously still do it but I've noticed it's become a lot more socially unacceptable and you'll definitely see people gesture at other drivers doing it.

this is the stats from 06-16 [pdf]

4G48Y9d.png

Realistically we need to follow the European approach and make the cost of driving/getting a license really expensive.

At a time where minorities and lower income people are being pushed out of cities and away from existing public transportation you propose that we make driving really expensive. Yeah, dont want you and your realistic solutions anywhere near public policy.

samn

At a time where minorities and lower income people are being pushed out of cities and away from existing public transportation you propose that we make driving really expensive. Yeah, dont want you and your realistic solutions anywhere near public policy.

Make it more expensive at the same time as building great public transit and cycling infra. Yeah don't want your closed-minded one-track-mind solutions anywhere near public policy

Seriously. Making licenses really expensive would virtually make them whites only in some cities.

Make it more expensive at the same time as building great public transit and cycling infra. Yeah don't want your closed-minded one-track-mind solutions anywhere near public policy
Great public transit isn't coming to major cities within a decade.

cwmartin

Speaking of, is wearing headphones while behind the wheel legal? I see it so much but there is no way that can be allowed. People act like its completely normal...

SDCowboy

in the UK it became illegal to drive while on the phone in 2003. The punishment is anywhere from a fine to a driving ban.

people obviously still do it but I've noticed it's become a lot more socially unacceptable and you'll definitely see people gesture at other drivers doing it.

In much, if not most, of the US, it's illegal. Just people don't care.

Ambient80

When it comes to laws for distracted driving, I absolutely think they should be in place. That being said, I feel like I see WAY more people nowadays on their phones while driving, and I’ve yet to hear a single person who has been pulled over/ticketed while doing so. I know that’s anecdotal and not worth much as a data point, but it’s just weird to me that I haven’t heard a single person talk about getting pulled over for it. Are they even enforced? It needs to happen but I’m not even sure how they could do it easily. Mandatory “do not disturb while driving” when in the car? iOS has that now but it’s opt-in and not exactly difficult to get past.

Mivey

I agree, but how do you prove device use? You can measure alcohol level in someone, but not whether they were looking at their phone.
Simple. Put up cameras. That's already used to picture license plates, clearly it would also be evident if the driver is distracted. The law shouldn't care whether you are reading a book, or texting someone. Just not looking at the traffic.
Works for the rest of the world, don't see why the US got to be a special snowflake.

Ambient80

Easy. The officer would log what time it happened, and the text logs would back it up.
Sure, if you were texting. That person may have also just been switching songs on their music app or something. Still not excusable at all but certainly much harder to prove.

gruenel

Unfortunately fines are way too low here in Germany, too. I see people looking at their smartphones while driving literally every day. Often times in expensive vehicles which I'm 100% positive have hands-free. No one cares. :(

SDCowboy

Sure, if you were texting. That person may have also just been switching songs on their music app or something. Still not excusable at all but certainly much harder to prove.

While true, texting has to be the overwhelming majority of phone related accidents.

How about we tackle the part about expanding public transportation before we start trying to further cripple the lower classes. See building infrastructure takes decades, hitting me with a tax can happen overnight.

knkng

A woman using her phone almost hit me with her SUV. I was in a crosswalk at a stop sign. She was at least half-way down the block so I started crossing, then realized she was not slowing down. I had to sprint to get out of the way as she came to a screeching stop straddling both lanes and in the middle of my crosswalk. She looked up from her phone, noticed me, and said, "ooops. that was silly of me wasn't it." and then started back on her way. I don't think she had any idea how close she came to hitting me, she just noticed me after and realized I must have been there based on how I was looking at her.
This is the most egregious part to me. People who almost cause crashes while using their phone seem to be unfazed by what just happened.

"Oops, I almost drove that guy right off the highway and into the concrete barrier... Oh well, back to checking my facebook!"

Fuck these people.

Nothing like that would work since it would affect anyone not driving as well. It wouldn't be accepted.
At the point where I think those people should just be forced to suck it up and use the phone if they want to actually contact someone while in a car. A bit of convenience is not worth people’s lives

bevishead

Neo Member
I’ve always wanted a motorcycle but this whole issue is the one big reason I don’t want one. I trust myself, no one else driving on these roads.

I saw a girl driving behind a bunch of motorcycles the other day and she was just looking down at her phone. If one of them had to stop short that’s it.

I have a motorcycle that I haven't ridden in a year or so. I love ridding and its a ton of fun, but yes the amount of people driving with their phones in their hands scares the crap out of me. I can almost immediately tell when someone is driving while distracted.

Damaniel

Banned
They're not gonna be pulling people over for this.

I imagine most of this enforcement is after another violation or accident

They are already - this is a primary infraction so no other infraction is needed to pull someone over for it. Portland law enforcement (and those of the surrounding cities) are taking the law very seriously, and based on what they're finding they have to - they did a sting out in Aloha a week or two ago and snagged over 70 people in just a few hours.

Distracted driving laws with teeth (large fines, jail time, suspension of driving privileges) need to be the law of the land nationwide. I nearly get hit by someone texting away on their phone every few months, and I'm pretty sure that one of the two accidents that I got in last year was caused by a distracted driver (and an uninsured one, at that).

Future

Won’t be fixed until everything because hands free or automated driver assist. People are not gonna be in long commutes and not think they have the skills to glance at their phones for a quick second. You can fine everyone but people are still gonna do it

SDCowboy

Won't be fixed until everything because hands free or automated driver assist. People are not gonna be in long commutes and not think they have the skills to glance at their phones for a quick second. You can fine everyone but people are still gonna do it

Yup. I can sent and receives tests through my truck.

ShowDog

There need to be significant fines ($1500) or none at all. They need to be advertised with monetary amounts so everyone knows the consequences.

The current slap on the hand fines in CA for instance results in people half heartedly hiding their phones (no one wants even a small ticket) below the dashline, where it’s incredibly hard to multitask using the phone and driving at the same time. If there were no fine those that choose to use their phone could hold them up in plain sight near the windshield where they have a better chance of seeing where they’re going. As much as I hate the idea it’s better than what we have now.

Ideally, larger fines would keep people from using their phones altogether.

Allforce

The laws do nothing, anyone who drives daily can tell you that. If you pay attention within minutes of hitting the road you'll see at least 2-3 people straight up looking at or using their phone while driving. Every. Single. Time.

I saw 2 this morning, one lady driving by the bus stop staring at her phone where I'm standing with mine and a bunch of other kids, and another not even 20 minutes later when I was driving to the bank.

This is on surface roads in neighborhoods, drive on a freeway sometime and just try to count how many people you see using a smartphone while flying along at 70 MPH in say, a 20 minute time frame. You'll lose count.

I am typically able to maintain composure in my car regardless of what's happening, but I swear to fucking God people on their cell phones make me want scream.

If you are actively engaging your cell phone while driving you are a selfish fuck. Driving demands 100% of your attention and if you are so god damn addicted to your phone that you can't give driving your utmost attention then kindly stay the hell off the road.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Looking it up for Ohio, its not even considered a primary offense unless you are under 18. Secondary offense for adults, and the fine is only $150.

No surprise. Even on GAF you get people who are like "Oh, it's alright as long as you do it at a red light / while you're stopped / when no one's around / when traffic is moving at a steady pace / when people aren't in the road / when I feel like it." People always seem to think it can't happen to them, and that they're perfect.

How are smart phones killing people more in the last 2 years if they have existed for a decade?

Did you not read the OP?

the changing way in which Americans use their phones while they drive. These days, we're pretty much done talking. Texting, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are the order of the day—all activities that require far more attention than simply holding a gadget to your ear or responding to a disembodied voice

Fuck people that use their fucking phones when driving. Fuck your facebook, snapchat, instagram, text, all that shit can wait. Got rear ended almost two years ago by some asshat texting and driving.

Ambient80

No surprise. Even on GAF you get people who are like "Oh, it's alright as long as you do it at a red light / while you're stopped / when no one's around / when traffic is moving at a steady pace / when people aren't in the road / when I feel like it." People always seem to think it can't happen to them, and that they're perfect.

While true, some state laws say that using the phone while stopped at a red light or stopped completely in traffic is ok. I can’t remember which ones specifically but there are some out there. In fact I think Ohio is one of them, but I could be mistaken. Doesn’t really affect me since I don’t use the phone while driving unless it’s just hands-free talking. Not to sound like a shill but Apple Music made it even easier as I can now dictate to Siri exactly what music I wanna listen to without touching the phone. DNDWD is great, too.

Wildo09

I thought this was about wireless signals causing cancer or some other illness. Sometimes I'm scared after spending long times on phone and getting headaches because that's still not totally clear.

Omadahl

Banned
I honk at every moron I see on their phone. Within the last year, I've probably missed over 50 lights because some dumb dumb isn't paying attention. I also drive around with my daughter in the back seat and it scares the hell out of me that someone will just plow into us because they were texting or changing songs on their phone.

MA law in place, just recently:

The Massachusetts bill calls for fines of $100 for a first offense, $250 for a second offense, and $500 for a third or subsequent offense within six years — similar to the penalties imposed under the existing texting law.

Also worth noting that it applies when the car is on the road (as in, not parked) with the motor running. No stoplight activity. Personally, I think the second offense should activate insurance surcharges, and the third should be suspension of the license. That is, however, only my opinion. I see drivers looking at their phones in moving vehicles every day. Not cool.

I'll admit there are times I'll respond back to people at a red light, but definitely not while in motion (I have a friend who has Instagram to his face while driving 60mph in 35mph zones and it's FUCKING INFURIATING).

Now, where's the conversation about GPS? I will say I've been in some close calls because I was looking up and down at the screen again in fear I'd miss a turn.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
A woman using her phone almost hit me with her SUV. I was in a crosswalk at a stop sign. She was at least half-way down the block so I started crossing, then realized she was not slowing down. I had to sprint to get out of the way as she came to a screeching stop straddling both lanes and in the middle of my crosswalk. She looked up from her phone, noticed me, and said, "ooops. that was silly of me wasn't it." and then started back on her way. I don't think she had any idea how close she came to hitting me, she just noticed me after and realized I must have been there based on how I was looking at her.

At least you got a "Whoopsie sorry for almost killing you!" In my experience the offender usually acts like I'm the asshole.

The iPhone does this now, but it's optional and only for notifications/"I'm driving now, ttyl" auto-texts. Can't wait for the day we stop enabling this behavior and block phones entirely while one's driving.

and if I'm a passenger?

Phone use, like for calls and holding the phone up to your ear I can see (because its visable)

Texting and browsing seems harder

Laws do nothing to deter this. We have points on your license and fines and yet I still people looking at their stupid fucking phones on traffic everyday.

People are just shitty.

Maximus.

Has anybody looked to see if these are effective?

How enforceable are they and do they reduce usage?

(this isn't a knock against them, but to say there needs to be more done)

This seems like its got to be a culture thing, and the manufacturers need to do more to highlight the dangers. Apples do not disturb stuff is a good start

It is effective, it is enforceable. Doesn’t stop everyone, but deff deters. My area has laws that are strict on phone useage and police do check.

Ambient80

Part of the issue raised in the OP is that many state laws are woefully inadequate.
So saying "Some state laws say that [x] is alright" is simply part of the problem.

Ah, true, I missed that. And yeah I totally agree, it’s definitely part of the problem. I wish DNDWD was an opt-out feature that they told you about when setting up the phone. It’s not perfect but I could see it helping. Make it hard to opt-out, too, like needing special reasoning or something. I dunno, maybe that’s dumb, but we need some new ideas.

Just wait to text, folks! It’s just simply not worth the risk.

Kinokou

Phones in general should have the Pokémon Go "I'm a passenger" box, it would probably just cause more accidents with people getting pissed at it and taking their attention off the road again to get back on YouTube.

Top Bottom