• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS Japanese Packaging POSSIBLY Indicates Snake is cut from the game

Ryce

Uh, wouldn't they have to list Ubisoft on there too for the Rayman trophy/whatever capacity that franchise is in?
The “character” credits on the box/official site/start screen apply only to playable characters. Cing, Tose, Eighting, Treasure, and others weren’t credited for Brawl despite their characters appearing as trophies/Assist Trophies.

jnWake

I hope this isn't 100% accurate because of no mention of Itoi... I can stand to lose Snake but having 0 Mother characters would make me a bit sad. I enjoyed using Lucas, Ness a bit less (such a beautiful rhyme).

Hatchtag

Banned
Cut Snake and make the Konami Rep. Yugi.

I'd literally never complain about Nintendo ever again.

This would make no sense and would never happen. Yet, I would be completely okay with it.

Anyways, while I'm not hopeful about Snake returning, I don't think this means much, based on Intelligent Systems not being mentioned on the box of Melee and the lack of any credits for Earthbound despite Ness almost certainly returning.

I understand why he wouldn't be in, but I seriously can't understand why so many people in this thread say the game's better off without him.

Anybody getting cut does not make the game better, even if R.O.B. was cut, it wouldn't make the game better, it would just be "oh this character some people liked got cut, that sucks."

The "he doesn't fit in" excuse annoys me too, if you put Zero Suit Samus or Marth next to Mario, they would look just out of place as Snake would. All of these Nintendo characters come from different time periods and eras (Fire Emblem sporting a medieval style while others like Captain Falcon or Ness sport a more modern look). Half of these characters look out of place when standing next to another. Fitting in should be the least of Sakurai's problems.

And for people who think the reason behind his "cut" is because MGS5 isn't on the Wii-u, MGS4 was PS3 only, yet they had no problem with Snake being in brawl, nor did they have any trouble marketing MGS4 via soundtrack.

Now a reasonable excuse as to why he might no be in Smash 4, is because Sakurai doesn't want too many 3rd parties in the game. It makes sense seeing how he said he wants this to be first and foremost, A game celebrating Nintendo characters. We already got 3 TP characters, a 4th one might seem like to much for Sakurai, who knows.

All this "he doesn't fit in" and "I'm glad he's cut, he made Brawl worse" bs needs to go tho.

Sacul64GC

Banned
sörine;125958704 said:
Well, Konami supported Wii with games in general at least. Outside of Virtual Console they're not releasing any Wii U games at all. Their 3DS support is almost nothing now too.

Konami is not doing much in general. They are releasing less games in general. All they have money wise is MGS. They replaced the 2D Castlevanias with LoS but who knows where that will go now after 2 was not sold or reviewed as well. Silent Hill was never a big seller but they are clearly trying to make it one with SHs. They canceled what ever Contra reboot tribute thing they teased. Honestly It really feels like Konami could THQ soon if MGS5 does not sell.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
sörine;125958704 said:
Well, Konami supported Wii with games in general at least. Outside of Virtual Console they're not releasing any Wii U games at all. Their 3DS support is almost nothing now too.

Konami isn't making games, at all. The only thing they're doing is Silent Hills, MGSV and PES, in fact they supported the 3DS with Castlevania and Metal Gear already.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure this is why Snake is likely not in. And I'll even bold it for you.

"Colonel: Snake, you know who that is?

Snake: You're kidding, right? It's Mario.

Colonel: Mario made his first appearance in 1981, and since then, he's become a worldwide phenomenon. There's probably not a single person who doesn't know Mario. He's that famous.

Snake: Good thing I survived long enough to meet him on the field of battle, huh.

Colonel: This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out there and show him what you're made of. No regrets.

Snake: Got it."

Tin foil hat thinking

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm willing to avatar bet with anyone that Ness and Jiggs will return. None of the original 12 are going anywhere.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's always sad to have a character cut.

Snake's a big name, had a fun moveset and brought even more variety to the game.
It was likely he wasn't returning, but it still hurts to have more evidence of it.

Mortemis

Banned
A good thing? Fuck that. While I much prefer a newcomer like mega man over snake, not having a character come back fucking sucks.

Give me snake dammit.

MisterHero

Is Ubisoft credited for Rayman? >_>

I know he's probably just a trophy, but you'd think Ubi still gets credit for it.

Snake's booty might be gone, but Cpt. Falcon's new super defined booty makes up for his absence. Goodbye Snake.

jhQGspGNCDsK1.png

Hello Falcon!booty

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If people strongly believe that Ness is out then I'm willing to make avatar bets based on Ness himself.

I avatar bet anyone that Ness will be in Smash 4. If anyone disagreed, then just let me know.

amazing how little it means for a character in a mascot fighting game to have a wholly imaginative, original, and distinct fighting style b/c semantics
i hope your favorite character gets cut because odds are i'd want some other character in instead
this news hurts man :(

Brawl was worse for having him in it.

I dare you to explain

Game Guru

To clarify, the character copyright only lists companies of playable characters who are already known to be in the game, and in the order of when each character was originally introduced in the Smash Bros series, thus why Sega (for Sonic the Hedgehog) gets their credit before Capcom (for Mega Man) and Bandai Namco (for Pac-Man) and why Intelligent Systems (for Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin) is listed after Pokemon Company, Creatures, and Game Freak (for Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja). Ape and Itoi were never listed in the character credits on the boxart or title screen of the first Smash Bros. game when Ness was a secret character, but was listed for Melee and Brawl when there was an Earthbound character playable by default.

And it only deals with playable characters so that's why Ubisoft lacks a character credit for Rayman. We also know that Mr. Saturn is an item so that would still be Earthbound Universe stuff.

What makes this a confirmation of Snake not being in the game is because Nintendo would have likely promoted that, hey, Snake's back too with a trailer and reveal like Sonic's. Unless Snake is hiding in a cardboard box somewhere waiting for you to unlock him as a surprise, he has probably been cut from the game.

Durden77

If people strongly believe that Ness is out then I'm willing to make avatar bets based on Ness himself.

I avatar bet anyone that Ness will be in Smash 4. If anyone disagreed, then just let me know.

Most people aren't saying that. They're saying that if this proves Snake is cut, then it proves just as much for Ness.

Cutting Ness would just be absolutely senseless. There's no way he's going anywhere.

Either that isn't the final copyright list, or Itoi just stopped caring about having his name and APE inc. appear on the list, because we already know there is EarthBound IP stuff in the game:

Come to think of it, what about Ubisoft's credit for the Rayman trophy?

/thread

Excellent question. If it's on a 4GB due to the extra .1, then there is much more space for even more music.
I figured out the most likely outcome. The 0.1GB is save data (maybe 64MB rounded or something). I would assume the eShop installation includes the save file space allocated otherwise you could download a game and be unable to save due to lack of space on the SD card.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I thought it would be weird for Hayter-Snake to be in this game after they changed the voice actor. I suppose they could just re-use the audio from Brawl if they wanted him that badly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Snake haters are on my personal shitlist. Time to boycott Nintendo forever.

The “character” credits on the box/official site/start screen apply only to playable characters. Cing, Tose, Eighting, Treasure, and others weren’t credited for Brawl despite their characters appearing as trophies/Assist Trophies.

Well that explains it then. If that pre-order card contains the actual download code (which it probably does), there's no reason to think that this isn't the final box art. Mother can be covered by what's there and Itoi could be added in once Ness/Lucas are unlocked if that's the case this time.

Glass Rebel

Never cared for Snake's inclusion in Brawl aside from the codec stuff so I won't shed a tear if he's cut. Sucks for fans of him tho.

Dremark

Banned
I'm having trouble believing they'd be dumb enough to just remove all Mother representation from the game.

I don't really see it as being a big issue, the series itself is completely dead and was never very popular particularly outside of Japan.

Although I'm not going to act like a prick about it if Ness/Lucas are gone like people are doing in this thread about Snake.

Top Bottom