• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros 4 stage news: Final destination for everything

RoKKeR

So it's just aesthetic differences then? Seems redundant if you ask me, but cool for the fans I suppose!

Maffis

Wont this make characters like Little Mac way too powerful? And characters that specialize with air control too weak?

I dunno, they should've had the stage with the 3 platforms instead.

Are they optional forms, or do a number of stages simply have this shape?
Optional.

Sounds like it is used in the For Glory online mode which is no items, Fox only, Final Destination and Sakurai felt it was shame the other stages graphics should not be included.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wont this make characters like Little Mac way too powerful? And characters that specialize with air control too weak?

I dunno, they should've had the stage with the 3 platforms instead.

Battlefield also favors certain characters over others. Youll never get to a balanced environment without some variety in stage selection.

Tom_Cody

They're optional forms, just to add visual variety to the For Glory queue.

Optional.

Sounds like it is used in the For Glory online mode which is no items, Fox only, Final Destination and Sakurai felt it was shame the other stages graphics should not be included.
Thanks. I didn't quite understand this when it came up in the direct.

That's a relief. I personally like chaotic stages and I'm glad they aren't gimping most of the levels.

Battlefield also favors certain characters over others. Youll never get to a balanced environment without some variety in stage selection.

Exactly. This is actually a significant design choice for a number of characters and playtypes.

Bowser vs. King Dedede Final Destination Stock 5. Sooo gooooood.

Revven

So it's just aesthetic differences then? Seems redundant if you ask me, but cool for the fans I suppose!

The stages still differ in size (see: Mario Galaxy FD). No idea if they've got different death boundaries but if they do that alone will make them different enough from FD that they could be viable options for competitive play if their vanilla forms are terrible/unplayable under the rule set.

Tom_Cody

Whilst i think this change is for competitive play you have to wonder if the complete and utter failure of the wii U has killed any chance of this smash bros really taking off.
It's still going to sell more copies than than all of the Marvel vs. Capcom games combined. Or all of the version of Street Fighter 3 combined.

sn00zer

Still hate that 'Final Destination' is designated as the only competitive stage....plenty of tiered stages perfectly suited for competitive play, Battlegrounds being the most obvious remission

Servbot24

Banned
Still hate that 'Final Destination' is designated as the only competitive stage....plenty of tiered stages perfectly suited for competitive play, Battlegrounds being the most obvious remission

At least he's actually making something of an effort to cater to competitive matches this time around. A good sign if nothing else.

icy_eagle

I appreciate the gesture, but way to completely overshoot in trying to appeal to the competitive ground. FD isn't even the most played on currently afaik. Not that it even matters if it's timed matches instead of stock like some people are saying, although I don't know we're they're getting that ffrom.

Formless

Hoping for mk7 style community playlists. Most serious players will likely set up private matches or locally when it comes time to compete or practice so I dont think FD only is bad. They could change it between now and release also.

Tom_Cody

Seems like Mac will have an unfair advantage on flat stages.
No recovery though.

This does raise the obvious issues though that the balance/ranking is going to difference between normal (all stages) vs. just final destination. This has been true in all of the games though. This is one of the things that annoys me a tier lists: they are slanted because they are typically slanted around a specific style of play.

I appreciate the gesture, but way to completely overshoot in trying to appeal to the competitive ground. FD isn't even the most played on currently afaik. Not that it even matters if it's timed matches instead of stock like some people are saying, although I don't know we're they're getting that ffrom.

The uber-competitive community don't seem easily pleased at all to be honest. There's still complete match customisation in local.

Good thing you can choose every aspect of the rules in local and online matches with friends.

Hey, they might have Battle Field versions of all stages too...

These new final destination stages are just three platforms away from being battlefield stages.

phanphare

Banned

"please keep in mind, though, that the games are still under development so anything in the game footage you're about to see could be changed."

for you and anyone else who wants a battlefield skin and/or a stock match toggle you should take it to Miiverse. best chance to gain some traction and get some changes made.

can someone explain this?

Can we see examples?

ZNYNd5r.png

pp5TT4x.png

IOVtgHY.png

DxDI7VF.png

Screenshots from the direct.

Screenshots from the direct.

I wouldn't mind if multiple stages also had "Battlefield" versions with 1-4 platforms as an available option within For Glory. Give the players 3 options to vote on, randomly selected from these ingredients:

Type:
3-stock
4-stock
2-min
3-min
4-min

Stage:
FD
BF
FD version of some other stage
BF version of some other stage

So, for instance, your options might be as follows:

4-stock on Battlefield
3-min on FD Galaxy stage
4-min on BF Jungle Japes (No hazard, with platforms)

That way, if you prefer stock, you can vote for the first option. If you like platforms, you can vote for the first or third options. If you like no platforms, second option's for you.

(Inspired a bit by Halo matchmaking) That would be great.

I think it's a great idea and it took me by surprise. He's obviously acknowledging the competitive players this time around.

Some people will never be satisfied though.

Majestad

Banned
This is such a fantastic idea. The stages in the game look awesome, so it is good that competitive play won't be stuck in FD.

PsionBolt

Do we know if these are selectable in normal play, outside of For Glory mode? I assume they will be, but I don't recall seeing that info anywhere.

If they are selectable, I wonder how it'll be done. If it's something like "Hold Z when selecting the stage for FD mode", I wonder if they'll ever come in random select?

sn00zer

I think it's a great idea and it took me by surprise. He's obviously acknowledging the competitive players this time around.

Some people will never be satisfied though.

The Final destination only stuff is almost a decade old....its appreciated, but if youre going to do a competitive mode, do it right

phanphare

Banned
The Final destination only stuff is almost a decade old....its appreciated, but if youre going to do a competitive mode, do it right

it seems like Sakurai, being the hilarious troll that he is, is telling the competitive scene that they've been doing it wrong. For Glory mode seems like "do[ing] it right" by Sakurai's standards.

again though, take it to Miiverse. everything that was shown is subject to change, as stated in the very beginning of the Direct.

Alienous

Battlefield always seemed like a better design to me, for competitive play. There's a vertical aspect that Final Destination nullifies almost completely.

Revven

Battlefield always seemed like a better design to me, for competitive play. There's a vertical aspect that Final Destination nullifies almost completely.

And that's how the comp. community actually feels now, that stages with platforms like Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, etc are better than FD.

But what's right? The competitive scene has been fighting for over a decade over which stages are acceptable and which aren't.

I don't see the problem here, competitive players are going to add each other as friends anyway and then decide for themselves what stages to play on... And For Glory will be a nice place to meet other competitive players.

Marcel

Fortunately Sakurai is making a game for all manner of competitive and casual players and is not guiding the development based on the whims of the FGC/Smash Bros. contingent.

JCX

Competitive scene will never be truly happy with any smash that isn't Melee.

For Glory was a nice nod, but I'm sure any real competitive players will have many people on their friend list so matches can be customized to whatever rules are in vogue now. It's just for fun one-off matches, not tournaments.

Top Bottom