• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros 4 stage news: Final destination for everything

bawk

Banned
That's a problem with the character, not the stage. There are plenty of characters that excel in both flat and varied terrain.
Its a problem if its the only stage because it means certain characters are always favor to win by default. My issue isn't that I think that FD is a bad stage by any stretch, its that FD is the only option.

TDLink

I really don't get how people are even complaining about this. For Glory mode is only for online with randoms. Playing online with friends or playing offline locally, which is the way most will play if they are into competitive smash, still gives you complete access to all stages. So what's the problem exactly?

This whole thing comes across as bitching for the sake of bitching.

Sakurai is putting a lot of effort into making FD versions of most stages...and they aren't even all exactly the same. Sure they are flat but the different type of ledges on each can make a real difference. There seem to be a few differing lengths as well. For an online with randoms mode it seems more than fine...and also a pretty fun/cool idea that is poking fun at the whole Final Destination only meme.

Competitively people are going to mostly play local anyways, so the whole thing doesn't even matter...except now there are more FD choices.

Rubius

Its a problem if its the only stage because it means certain characters are always favor to win by default. My issue isn't that I think that FD is a bad stage by any stretch, its that FD is the only option.

Well for Tourneyguys, Final Destination is the most important stage. If you want, you can go online with your friends and make your own rules on what items, levels and all that.

Guess Who

Banned
Well for Tourneyguys, Final Destination is the most important stage. If you want, you can go online with your friends and make your own rules on what items, levels and all that.

This misconception is the entire reason people are having this debate.

ReiGun

I really don't get how people are even complaining about this. For Glory mode is only for online with randoms. Playing online with friends or playing offline locally, which is the way most will play if they are into competitive smash, still gives you complete access to all stages. So what's the problem exactly?

This whole thing comes across as bitching for the sake of bitching.

Sakurai is putting a lot of effort into making FD versions of most stages...and they aren't even all exactly the same. Sure they are flat but the different type of ledges on each can make a real difference. There seem to be a few differing lengths as well. For an online with randoms mode it seems more than fine...and also a pretty fun/cool idea that is poking fun at the whole Final Destination only meme.

Competitively people are going to mostly play local anyways, so the whole thing doesn't even matter...except now there are more FD choices.
You're assuming that players will always have the option of playing online with their friends or playing locally. What if their friends aren't available or they're unable to travel and play locally, but still want to have that particular game experience with random players? Should they not be allowed that option just because Sakurai has bought into the "competitive players only like Final Destination" stereotype?

Except that it's not. Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting see just as much if not more use in competitive play as FD.

TDLink

You're assuming that players will always have the option of playing online with their friends or playing locally. What if their friends aren't available or they're unable to travel and play locally, but still want to have that particular game experience with random players? Should they not be allowed that option just because Sakurai has bought into the "competitive players only like Final Destination" stereotype?

That's an extreme minority. Those who want to be competitive in any fighting game will never be content just with an online mode anyways, because there is always latency issues...it's impossible for there not to be.

Competitive players who want to face eachother (who aren't already friends) will also just go on to forums and other online places and exchange friend info...then play as they want.

This mode is entirely for fights against randoms and as that it is completely fine.

There is no good reason to complain about this completely optional mode that hasn't been included in any previous entry of the series. It's just complaining to complain.

ReiGun

That's an extreme minority. Those who want to be competitive in any fighting game will never be content just with an online mode anyways, because there is always latency issues...it's impossible for there not to be.

Competitive players who want to face eachother (who aren't already friends) will also just go on to forums and other online places and exchange friend info...then play as they want.

This mode is entirely for fights against randoms and as that it is completely fine.

There is no good reason to complain about this completely optional mode that hasn't been included in any previous entry of the series. It's just complaining to complain.

It may be a minority, but it still happens. And it happens to a lot of people. It's also important to note that even among "casuals" there are those who don't like playing with items.

I don't see why fights against randoms are being viewed as somehow less important to the point that it's okay to have those modes not offer the same level of options as games with friends, be it locally or online. Not everyone has friends to play with locally. Not everyone browsing forums to find competition. Those players should still be able to enjoy all the features in an online setting.

Rubius

Except that it's not. Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting see just as much if not more use in competitive play as FD.

Sure, but for actual tourneys you will be able to choose the levels you want in the rotation, just like Brawl.

The mode seem more like a way to lower the numbers of people griefing or killing themselves because they didnt get the map they wanted, which was often Final Destination. Just like Counter Strike guys who want to play Dust.

Jawmuncher

I'm glad that there will be Final Destination areas for other levels.
While me and my friends were fine playing on most levels, anything that moved like Rainbow Cruise and the DK level were no gos for us when it came to playing.

So it'll be nice to be on those levels without all of that nonsense.

Pociask

When your use-scenario is "Customer goes to online forum (but not Miiverse, where this is banned) to exchange friend data with random people so they can play the game online they want to play against random people" I'd suggest your product has a flaw.

Penguin

When your use-scenario is "Customer goes to online forum (but not Miiverse, where this is banned) to exchange friend data with random people so they can play the game online they want to play against random people" I'd suggest your product has a flaw.

Wait, I'm confused here

I assume we're talking the 3ds version? Which I don't see sweeping the competitive scene, but who kows

Because pretty sure the Wii U allows you to see/befriend people you played with online... and kind of hard to hide your Miiverse name when it's right there

Wait, I'm confused here

I assume we're talking the 3ds version? Which I don't see sweeping the competitive scene, but who kows

Because pretty sure the Wii U allows you to see/befriend people you played with online... and kind of hard to hide your Miiverse name when it's right there

Pokemon lets you add people as friends that you encountered randomly after you do a couple of things with them, which means that Smash 3DS won't have this feature.

Your logic makes no sense. It's fine for playing randoms because random people who want the mode to be better can just go on NeoGAF to exchange friend info and set up private lobbies to play?

Those are just extra hoops to jump through if you want to play with random players with competitive rules. Why not just have the option to play with randoms with competitive rules out of the box?

Top Bottom