• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Fans: Do You Want DLC?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
if managed ad other Nintendo DLC, yes.
if managed as other companies DLC, not so much.

basically: if the initial contents will be slightly more than Brawl, I'll be happy with new stages and charactes as DLC

I'm still waiting for example for DLC tracks for MK 7 on 3ds...

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Agree with most of these posts. As long as the content isn't already on disc, nickel and diming like SFxT, and actually priced well in proportion to what you're getting, I don't see a problem with it.

Like some people said, it seems we get one Smash per console so it would be nice to have continued support for it leading up to the next game, I think it would actually attract even more of a fanbase just off the fact that there's new characters/stages/modes etc to be dished out periodically and some of the aforementioned could bring in people that might've even had specific desires. The idea of balance patches ALONE is what makes this idea so viable and recommended....at least to ME.

Acrylic7

Absolutely, but here is the problem.

Giving us DLC will probably (most definitely) give them an excuse to half ass the final game. We live in a world where characters like Rudy, Kosmos, and many many others cant make the original Roster in a Franchise fighter just because DLC is an option. I would hate for Nintendo to half ass my products even more than what they are doing now. I would literally loose faith.

Nothing pisses me of more than purchasing a game day 1 and it already has problems, followed by "we will fix it soon".
I like for my shit to work proper like day 1.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Absolutely, but here is the problem.

Giving us DLC will probably (most definitely) give them an excuse to half ass the final game. We live in a world where characters like Rudy, Kosmos, and many many others cant make the original Roster in a Franchise fighter just because DLC is an option. I would hate for Nintendo to half ass my products even more than what they are doing now. I would literally loose faith.

Nothing pisses me of more than purchasing a game day 1 and it already has problems, followed by "we will fix it soon".
I like for my shit to work proper like day 1.

I somewhat disagree. Although Nintendo might be notorious for a lot of things, one thing I do know for certain is that when they make a game (I mean their first party studios) they definitely put something "special" into it....even if its not 40+ hours or chock full of content. Most of Nintendo's first party offerings have always had that special level of I guess what you would call "love and care" into it. Now, that could be subjective cause everyone is entitled to their opinions and some may find some of the games lacking or downright dislike them, but I believe its a general consensus that everyone knows that whenever they make a game, its "Quality". And I feel like if Nintendo was to step into the DLC realm then it would be no different.

"D"

If its like the stuff in FE:A and NSMB2 then yes please

A perfect example of what I mean. Both games had excellent DLC, with Fire Emblem almost being over-abundant in content.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yes please characters and stages. I would pay good money for DLC that ads Melee-like physics.

JohnTonne

I'd be all for them just dumping Smash 64 stages for a cost, same with music. Brawl had a crazy amount of music but there is a lot more they could add, especially non remixed tracks.

King_Moc

Banned
If they can do it without creating unfair advantages for paying players, segregating the userbase with paid for stages and purposely withholding content at launch, then sure, go for it.

Depends. Don't like DLC for new characters unless it's an Ultra edition or something, but everything else is fine as long as its handled like other Nintendo DLC. Also, Melee Mode DLC. Would be godtier.

Bluth54

Both Melee and Brawl had characters that were cut before release because they couldn't finish them on time, it would be cool if for the Wii U and 3DS game they just kept working on character they would normally cut for time and release them as DLC later on.

I think an ideal model would be to follow Valve and make content that matters free. Release the characters and stages for free. Charge for different skins for characters and maybe extra songs for the stages type of thing.

Depends. Don't like DLC for new characters unless it's an Ultra edition or something, but everything else is fine as long as its handled like other Nintendo DLC. Also, Melee Mode DLC. Would be godtier.

better include 64 Mode/Brawl Mode or people gonna get mad at you for saying that!

sappyday

No. I like the idea of this being the new ssb and whoever didn't make the cut will have to wait until the next one. Plus DLC always feel dirty

Short answer: Yes.

Long one: Yes. I think everyone will benefit from this. Nintendo could keep the game going and fresh for a long long time.

Imagine a Competitive DLC Pack where you change the whole game in order to follow the competitive side of Smash. And with that patches and balances that can be trigger by the competitive audience of the game.

It will be tough to keep balance when new characters are released. So, if they actually do DLC, I hope it's just for SP, and the online remains Vanilla (except for the stages).

Sure, as long as the base game is meaty enough on its own.

I think Nintendo has done a pretty great job so far with their first couple of forays into DLC, so I think if they made some for Smash Bros, it would be handled well.

Jagsrock

Banned
This is one game I wouldn't mind DLC for because it would quell all worries of "not enough characters" or "crap ____ didn't make it". Also it would be cool to get new stages and stuff for games released after smash 4 comes out.

Nintendo seems to have a nice grasp on how to handle DLC in their games. So, yeah, I trust that they'd do a good job and price it nicely. In other words, I'm all for anything they can throw at me.

I say yes, the 3DS can handle DLC, and they probably won't be making a more complex(behavior-wise) character than Olimar, so no worries about having a character on only the wii u version. Plus, porting a character from the wii u to the 3ds should be extremely easy, I'd bet they share the same rig, just a different mesh for simplification on the 3DS.

Part of me feels like DLC characters would make the already shrinking pool of newcomers they'll have left for a future SSB5 even smaller, but everything else from stages, music to balance patches and other tune-ups would be great. I'd want the latter to be free, naturally, but for something like a couple dollars per stage and a few new remixes would be fair enough.

Codeblue

Who would even handle DLC?

They're borrowing a dev team from a different company and I doubt Sakurai would want to stick around.

EulaCapra

Yes to DLC. At the very least, cut characters or characters not originally included because of time constraints.

Smash Bros. only comes out once every generation (even counting 3DS/Wii U), so might as well.

llamarawk

I think everyone can agree that if it's done right, then YES!! The argument presented is a very good one. Really, this title just needs to get out there, hopefully in May (would be amazing)!

DLC as in: new costume for 5.99? Fuck that shit
DLC as in: Stage/character pack half a year/full year later for 20 bucks? Sign me up.

I'd rather purchase a fully featured expansion than single stuff that segregates the playerbase. Then again, SSB4 is going to be one of the most content rich games to come out this generation, so the value for money is already there.

Top Bottom