• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Fans: Do You Want DLC?

ito007

yes, that way if you're upset they didnt include your character, you could hope theyll add it as DLC (if the price is right that is)

Tumo

I've been wondering for a while why doesn't Nintendo release Smash Bros U on the eShop with the original 8 characters this holiday then add the rest in as they're done as free updates (with a disc release later on when it's more substantial).

New character/stage updates would be free and could co-inside with game releases (hype hype) and keep interest in the game and spur sales similar to how TF2 grew (before it went F2P, not saying smash should be F2P).

I have no idea if this is good business sense but I would like it to happen :)

Id only want balance and glitch fixes as anything, although maybe alternate skins (fusion suit Samus, Skyward Sword Link, Dr Mario, etc) as DLC would be perfectly fine. But not actual characters, no.

emb

[QUOTE="D";87188152]You do know buying DLC is optional, right? If you want to stick to your guns then that's fine, you don't have to participate in the DLC if it doesn't suit you.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I guess when I think of DLC for a fighting game, my mind instantly and primarily goes to extra characters and balance patches. And in those cases, if I want to play the game, improve, and compete with other people, then I absolutely have no choice.

I mentioned cosmetic stuff like costumes as something I wouldn't hate, but people have given other good examples too. Extra event matches, music, and extra modes could all be interesting for people that want more to do. Really I'd rather every moment of work or effort that could go into extra stuff go into a new game (even if it isn't a Smash game) or this game pre-release. That's just me though.

fernoca

Don't mind either way. New characters, alt. costumes and stages would be nice.

But as long as the game has a good amount of content I don't mind. Will buy if there is, otherwise will play the hell out of it like Brawl.

TreIII

This.

I think DLC gets a bad rep... because devs have given it a bad rep. Probably 90% of DLC is on disc, or retailer exclusive, or day one dlc. Lots of bullshit. Basically locking part of the finished game away behind a paywall. I get the feeling that many Nintendo fans believe this is how Nintendo would handle DLC with their games. This, of course, is the wrong kind of DLC, and no one wants this kind of DLC.

Nintendo is not Capcpom.

I don't believe Nintendo would pull a Cross Tekken with their DLC habits. If Smash Bros got DLC, I predict it would be similar to New Super Luigi U. Some time after the release of the initial game (probably a year or two), a "Super" version of Smash 4 is released either as $30 DLC for anyone who owns the game, or $60 for the stand alone version. Probably cheaper. It includes new characters, stages, music, balance changes, and more.

No one should be opposed to that, because it would be awesome. I don't know about you, but I don't like waiting 6 years between Smash Bros games. DLC gives Sakurai and team a way of keeping the game alive during the long wait for a new Smash Bros.

It also helps that Smash Bros might be the game that lends itself most to DLC out of any game ever made. Besides the obvious characters and stages, we could get new music, taunts, character entrances, new single player modes (additional break the target stages, additional event matches), new multiplayer modes, alternate costumes for characters... the list goes on.

I think Nintendo knows how to do DLC properly, and I look forward to them incorporating it into Smash Bros. sakurai pls ;_;

And we have a winner.

Thus far, Nintendo has been what I think to be quite exemplary in how they implement their DLC without me feeling ripped off. And it's what I hope they would do for both the likes of Smash and Mario Kart.

Only for skins and Retro stages and characters. The skins could even have slight variations on moves. Also, I would prefer balance patches first

Village

You can always ignore a comment instead of putting words in someone's mouth.

I don't care for it, that's my explanation. It doesn't make one a scaredy cat.

1) Read my previous comment, sorry about my grammar.

2) I never said you were a scaredy cat, I just think its a silly baseless reason. I respect you can acknowledge that is simply the reason why, most people would have created some.. i dunno dumb story to facilitate what they thought.You don't like it, I can respect that bluntness, even if I think its silly. Also you if DLC did happen, you could always not buy it.

Mit-

I would rather Ultra Smash Bros in 2015 with lots of new content, perhaps system changes to scrap anything that doesn't turn out well (ex: tripping wouldn't have been removed with DLC), lots of balance changes, and a clear difference in games so you can still go back and play "vanilla."

I also play fighting games and play Smash Bros competitively, so my opinion means zero to Nintendo and close to zero on GAF.

I would be okay with it, if only because the series has a long tradition of over-delivering on content.

If the game felt incomplete at launch, it would be the first sakurai game to do so.

Kyzon

Street Fighter 4 has been around for 5 years so far, and I see it staying around for a while longer. There are two reasons that it continues to remain relevant. The players are dedicated, and Capcom continues adding content to the game. I'm not saying Nintendo should be like Capcom price wise, but content wise (Not on disk locked content), I think they could learn a thing or two about continually updating the game, and adding features/characters based on fan input.

The game is better for it, and who doesn't enjoy being a part of something they love? I don't see why people would be against improvements to an already great product.

Nintendo does DLC well outside of maybe NSMB 2. I trust them with my Smash.

Platy

Pay for DLC ?
NO WAY

Free Stuff ?
Why not ?

That said, if they release dlc for this game i would probably buy it =|

Toad.T

Banned
Smash DLC could honestly be a good marketing tool for future games if handled correctly.

Say come E3 time, Miyamoto's new IP is announced and it's a character based action game. Announce that the main character is now also a new character for SSBU/3DS and you've already got people talking. When the hype dies down for said new IP, add in a song/stage pack featuring ideas from said new series to drive up interest again. People bought Fire Emblem over here because of SSBM, people bought KI:U because of SSBB, so it's not a foreign idea.

So yes.
Also it's the only way Bonk and Goemon will get in at al. :(

RE_Player

Yup. It's the one Nintendo game that should get dlc support. Imagine if every year there was a $10-$20 upgrade which included a couple of new characters, stages, items etc.

Axass

Why not have a complete game at launch, then more stuff added to it later? Continued support and development.

Because if DLC is made, the game I bought isn't complete anymore, no? ;)

Also I don't doubt Nintendo so far, but DLC is often becoming a leeway to not bother making a game to the best of the developer's capability, since they know they can leave some ideas and content for a later date anyway.

My general opinion, not strictly related to Smash:
IMO buying certain kinds of DLC you send a message, wether you want it or not, a message implying you're ok with developers thinking about DLC even before finalizing the game. Same mindset applies to day one patches: who needs a working game if you can patch it later on a case by case basis when problems arise?

1) Read my previous comment, sorry about my grammar.

2) I never said you were a scaredy cat, I just think its a silly baseless reason. I respect you can acknowledge that is simply the reason why, most people would have created some.. i dunno dumb story to facilitate what they thought. You don't like it, I can respect that bluntness, even if I think its silly.

I explained my reasoning in my previous comments; it gives window to provide a lesser product if done wrong (that's not to say that they would, though).

Also you if DLC did happen, you could always not buy it

And that's just it, you are forced to buy it if you want to get the full deal. But whatever.

Now if it's free, then that's a different story.

batbeg

I would have no choice to purchase dlc, though I think I'd prefer instead of releasing characters one at a time if they released a full expansion dlc with new stages and characters, preferably under some kind of unifying theme (sidekicks/villains/whatever).

Preferably if it's free.

I also wouldn't mind if some unlockables would exist that could be earned by linking the save file with the save file of another game. Let's say, you have a pikmin 3 save file. A Louie skin might be unlocked in Smash Bros just by having both saves on the same system.

Nickle and Diming with DLC as we know it.. hell no. Look what happened with the virtual console... Animal Crossing on Gamecube includes a bunch of NES games, Metroid Prime includes the original game and all kinds of other content.. Never again will we see stuff like that, because a corporation can't resist the opportunity to make more money.

DLC has been accepted by the mASSes, and now the rest of us are paying for it.. literally.

Basically, don't buy DLC. Don't support that crap.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I do not want individual character or costume or stage DLC, at all, period.

What I WOULD be open for is edition DLC. Like the expansion packs for Street Fighter IV. Several characters, stages, balance adjustments, branded under a new subtitle. Maybe one a year. That would be pretty fun.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What I WOULD be open for is edition DLC. Like the expansion packs for Street Fighter IV. Several characters, stages, balance adjustments, branded under a new subtitle. Maybe one a year. That would be pretty fun.

I don't really like this idea as much as individual DLC because I'd rather be able to spend $3 on something I want than $40 on a huge update/new version for that one thing.

Maybe do both, with annual expansions getting released that contain the previously released content at a discounted price.

Yeah that would be awesome. When a new 1st party games comes out they could have it coincide with DLC of the character from that game for Smash.

A new untested Ip is coming out and they could include free DLC stage and characters for smash, to encourage people to try the new series out.

Set up something similar with 3rd parties.

Having more characters, stages and modes in the future would be great.

Patches are more important to me, but I would love to buy new (and old) stages. I just want to play on Great Bay again.
Don't tell me to play Melee.

This.

I think DLC gets a bad rep... because devs have given it a bad rep. Probably 90% of DLC is on disc, or retailer exclusive, or day one dlc. Lots of bullshit. Basically locking part of the finished game away behind a paywall. I get the feeling that many Nintendo fans believe this is how Nintendo would handle DLC with their games. This, of course, is the wrong kind of DLC, and no one wants this kind of DLC.

Nintendo is not Capcpom.

I don't believe Nintendo would pull a Cross Tekken with their DLC habits. If Smash Bros got DLC, I predict it would be similar to New Super Luigi U. Some time after the release of the initial game (probably a year or two), a "Super" version of Smash 4 is released either as $30 DLC for anyone who owns the game, or $60 for the stand alone version. Probably cheaper. It includes new characters, stages, music, balance changes, and more.

No one should be opposed to that, because it would be awesome. I don't know about you, but I don't like waiting 6 years between Smash Bros games. DLC gives Sakurai and team a way of keeping the game alive during the long wait for a new Smash Bros.

It also helps that Smash Bros might be the game that lends itself most to DLC out of any game ever made. Besides the obvious characters and stages, we could get new music, taunts, character entrances, new single player modes (additional break the target stages, additional event matches), new multiplayer modes, alternate costumes for characters... the list goes on.

I think Nintendo knows how to do DLC properly, and I look forward to them incorporating it into Smash Bros. sakurai pls ;_;

And this.

udivision

Yeah that would be awesome. When a new 1st party games comes out they could have it coincide with DLC of the character from that game for Smash.

A new untested Ip is coming out and they could include free DLC stage and characters for smash, to encourage people to try the new series out.

Set up something similar with 3rd parties.

Having more characters, stages and modes in the future would be great.

The problem is, is that this game is being made by Sakurai and Bandai Namco. Once development finishes, development finishes I bet. Nintendo, less than ever, seems like a company that can spare resources to pump out free DLC for a game that's gonna have to last 6 or so years. If this was being made (more) in house without such a high-profile, I-don't-really-work-for-Nintendo-but-I-do dev, I'd feel differently.

qq more

Maybe if it's an expansion pack like Ultra Street Fighter IV or NSLU. I'm not really comfortable with individual character DLC or anything like that.

A big DLC pack would be enough for me and ideally would be released/announced many months after launch for a reasonable price.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Like Anthony said,

Nintendo have been doing great with DLC lately so I think they would be more reasonable with Smash DLC if it's possible.

I would buy anything Smash and Sakurai offered, but there are three problems.

1. After Smash 4 got released, their contract with Namco-Bandai would be over, and I'm not sure if they would able to make more DLC characters without Namco-Bandai as their assistances.

2. Sakurai have no history with any DLC but I know it's possible for first time for him. Knowing him, I don't think he will go for it since he's perfection with his work.

3. I think he is going to take a long break after Smash 4 to heal his arms then he probably would jump straight to new project instead of going back to Smash.

I'd enjoy Character/Stage/Assist Trophy bundles together as long as they are reasonably priced. (Similar to what was done with Fire Emblem).

GamerSoul

Yes. I think it would be a great relationship. We like Smash content and Nintendo likes money. It might make too much sense though.

Not really. I wouldn't say I want DLC. I'd rather have the game ship with everything I could ever ask for and never feel that I need to buy anything else for it.

It'd be a shame for stage DLC, as you had a pretty decent stage creator in Brawl. However, these new stages would have to be very very well made for me to purchase them

New characters, of course. If Nintendo wants free money, they'll definitely make many characters paid DLC.

Platy

Like Anthony said,

Nintendo have been doing great with DLC lately so I think they would be more reasonable with Smash DLC if it's possible.

I would buy anything Smash and Sakurai offered, but there are three problems.

1. After Smash 4 got released, their contract with Namco-Bandai would be over, and I'm not sure if they would able to make more DLC characters without Namco-Bandai as their assistances.

2. Sakurai have no history with any DLC but I know it's possible for first time for him. Knowing him, I don't think he will go for it since he's perfection with his work.

3. I think he is going to take a long break after Smash 4 to heal his arms then he probably would jump straight to new project instead of going back to Smash.

These are good points.

SPECIALY the last one

Glad this was posted.

This is, in my opinion, the ideal system and is widely used by other fighting games.

• It keeps the game relevant over a much longer span than it usually would
  • Allows the addressing of ongoing balance issues that can only be identified in the field
  • Allows the developers to focus much better instead of splitting their attention across too many characters and set pieces leading to bad balancing issues an lack of polish.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why people assume Sakurai would have to be deeply involved with DLC. It's not like he personally creates the assets and animations and does all the testing. He could easily work on another project (or do nothing but let his arm heal) and still function as a rubber stamp.

georly

Glad this was posted.

This is, in my opinion, the ideal system and is widely used by other fighting games.

• It keeps the game relevant over a much longer span than it usually would
  • Allows the addressing of ongoing balance issues that can only be identified in the field
  • Allows the developers to focus much better instead of splitting their attention across too many characters and set pieces leading to bad balancing issues an lack of polish.

Considering we get 1 of these per console, it would be a GREAT way to keep people playing it through the lifespan of the wii U, as well as a way to prevent people from selling their systems back. It would also make the wait for the next smash bros less painful.

DedValve

Banned
Considering that there won't be any additional costumes and that the game seems rushed given some comments by Sakurai on how there won't be time to add everyone from brawl (wth?)

I would absolutely pay for extra dlc. Nintendo seems to have a hold on DLC, all of their DLC was developed after the game and it's incredible that they haven't monetized more on it.

I am in the group that believes that fighters should be free.

Top Bottom