• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Season One |OT| A show about a hit musical on a network with no hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Yes. This isn't really high art - it's relies on the "building a star" cliche (which can be fine). This is Katherine McPhee's story. Everything from the tone of the pilot to the marketing to the previews says that.

We'll see.

I went into the pilot thinking it would be Karen's story, but then they spent an awful lot of time on the other characters, especially Ivy Lynn. It almost felt like an ensemble show to me, but that could just be the nature of a pilot.

I dunno, maybe I just prefer Ivy Lynn. Give me a hard working be-yotch over doe-eyed idealism anyday. ;)

BluWacky

And, being catty, am I the only one wondering who Katherine McPhee is fucking to get such prominence amongst the cast? Every ad that aired during the Super Bowl and The Voice was Karen, Karen, Karen - which is weird because the pilot didn't seem to be as focused on her story as I thought. Poor Megan Hilty's getting the shaft.

America knows who Katherine McPhee is. Really only theatre buffs know who Megan Hilty is (as she has said herself in interviews about the show) - and as good a Glinda/Doralee as she was, she's not going to sell the show like an ex-Idol contestant who is the lead character.

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed the pilot - it's not high art but there are lots of theatre faces doing good jobs in it and it's an interesting premise. Anjelica Houston's producer is too nice, though; I'd guess that she and her husband are modelled on the Weisslers, giants of the Broadway producing industry, but very much toned down.

Oh goodness no. "Sleeping your way to the top" doesn't really happen in the stage world, I'm afraid. Too many people talk.

Depends on who you sleep with. Sleeping with a director or choreographer may not get you too far - but sleep with the producer?

This was on at the local bar on mute last night...gotta say, the lead actress has had me swooning the past couple weeks and it was a delight to see her (muted) for an hour

Smash you say? I will only recognize one form of Smash on my TV.

ssnvg.jpg

I keep thinking this is Victoria Justice.

lenovox1

Depends on who you sleep with. Sleeping with a director or choreographer may not get you too far - but sleep with the producer?

Yeah, I was thinking about that a little last night. If you needed to have sex to get a part on Broadway, you'd have to do it with a producer. The directors and creators have less pull in casting a Broadway show than Hollywood's creatives seem to. That doesn't stop people from getting their friends roles in their productions, but of course that kind of thing holds true for any industry.

And don't you kind of get a Ahrens & Flaherty vibe from Julia and Tom, BluWacky? I'm not sure who the director is supposed to be, if he's rooted in one person.

And I'm pleased that the Voice is doing so well, and has maintained it's Super Bowl numbers so far. Smash definitely needs that kind of lead in if it's going to maintain it's numbers.

Now that we know its ratings share, I wanted to get a look at its iTunes sales. According to one chart tracking forum, "Let Me Be Your Star" started out on iTunes at the 169th spot. That's no where close to where Glee's covers usually begin, so I wouldn't expect to see a ton of iTunes revenue attached with this series. But maybe as they start doing more modern pop covers (I caught a short clip of them filming "I'll Drink to That" by Rhianna) that could change.

I keep thinking this is Victoria Justice.

Katharine could pass as an older sister. I'm surprised that they never had her on Victoria's Nickelodeon series. If Smash completely tanks, maybe she'll have that avenue opened for her.

Zyzyxxz

Just started watching and have to say I'm drawn in since the whole concept of producing a Broadway show is foreign to me.

Doesn't hurt that McPhee is beautiful and sings well.

zeeaykay

Really not buying this "son's the one pushing for the adoption" scene...

Yeah. I mean, I could definitely see his reasoning for it, but the execution was terrible. The guys acting was stiff as a board. The show falters the most when it tires these quiet emotional moments. The music that fades in almost makes it cringe-inducing.

royalan

Aaand we have the "stand up boyfriend for dick director needing you for something last-minute" moment...

EDIT: That was a great musical scene.

zeeaykay

The one thing the show really nails are all of the musical scenes. Not to compare it to Glee, but the production just seems higher and more professional. Also, I was kind of surprised by how straight forward that ending was...

lenovox1

Oh, they're keeping the assistant storyline. Ugh.

It could have been pulled off.

The one thing the show really nails are all of the musical scenes. Not to compare it to Glee, but the production just seems higher and more professional. Also, I was kind of surprised by how straight forward that ending was...

I can't believe they have the same budget. The production numbers on Smash are simply stronger. Everything feels and sounds more rooted in the real world. Blondie's "Call Me" was done in a slinky cabaret style, and Carrie Underwood's Crazy Dreams was arranged and sung like a contemporary musical theatre piece, in stark contrast to how Glee usually arranges its numbers. Not only that, but the actual production of it all is just more impressive, as you see when you get into the fantasy sequences (the "Let Me Be Your Star" restaging and "20th Century Foxmambo"). It's all very well done on that end.

As stogy and clichéd as I've seen it being called, I really connected to the Ivy and Karen stuff. I guess everyone's seen it all before? And I can't wait to see more from Karen. NBC has made it pretty clear in its marketing that the whole show revolves around two things: the untitled Marilyn Monroe project and Karen. There's a little "Rumor Has It" clip online, and while McPhee isn't a terribly strong dancer, she's pretty hot in it.

ETA: And the adoption thing is terrible. The little scene between Julia and her son (Max, I think) fell horribly flat. I hope they plan on going somewhere with that, or they just drop it.

lenovox1

mmm....have they explained why they are adopting?
Nope. I just assumed Julia couldn't have a second kid, but it's never been laid out.

These last two haven't been shown yet, right?
Right. The one with the sheet is from the "Touch Me" preview royalan posted, but I have no clue where the last one stems from. I haven't been following the preview clips.

The ratings dropped 26% from the premiere, down to a 2.8 demo TVbtN. Still good for NBC, but given that it was only week 2 they have to be a little worried.

royalan

I can't believe they have the same budget. The production numbers on Smash are simply stronger. Everything feels and sounds more rooted in the real world. Blondie's "Call Me" was done in a slinky cabaret style, and Carrie Underwood's Crazy Dreams was arranged and sung like a contemporary musical theatre piece, in stark contrast to how Glee usually arranges its numbers. Not only that, but the actual production of it all is just more impressive, as you see when you get into the fantasy sequences (the "Let Me Be Your Star" restaging and "20th Century Foxmambo"). It's all very well done on that end.

Agreed. The comparisons to Glee can't be helped, and so far the musical numbers are just several levels above what Glee's accomplished (even back in season 1 before the show went to shit). I can't wait for the official soundtrack...which frankly should be called "'Megan Hilty' The debut album featuring some people she's on some show with" because all of her performances have just given me goosebumps. That arrangement for Crazy Dreams? Child I was slain...

Sadly though, I wish they would take some of that originality of concept that they're bringing to the musical numbers and put it into the plot, because as much as I want to root for this show I was overall bored to tears by last night's episode. The story is just completely unoriginal and by-the-numbers so far.

As stogy and clichéd as I've seen it being called, I really connected to the Ivy and Karen stuff. I guess everyone's seen it all before? And I can't wait to see more from Karen. NBC has made it pretty clear in its marketing that the whole show revolves around two things: the untitled Marilyn Monroe project and Karen. There's a little "Rumor Has It" clip online, and while McPhee isn't a terribly strong dancer, she's pretty hot in it.

Ivy Lynn is still coming off as the more interesting character for me - mostly because the writers seem to be less afraid to make her flawed. She been in the business 10 years, knows her shit and is talented as all get out...but she will fuck the director for brownie points, and she will show some sass to girls she feels are her competition. And because she's been in the business for so long, and her parents don't really approve, and she hasn't made it "big" yet, there's some feelings of inadequacy and bitterness lurking under the surface, and Megan is really communicating it well. You get the feeling that Ivy really wants this part because she feels it's her last big shot to be something more than a chorus girl.

Whereas Karen is still stuck in "I'm an innocent girl from Iowa who moved to New York with big dreams and my coworkers all cover my ass at work because they believe in my talent and I'm gonna be a big star without compromising my sense of ethics! Tee-hee!" Her biggest problem right now seems to be that her parents don't approve but, really, whose parents do? She's a total Mary Sue, and it's not helping that Katherine is not bringing much to her character. It was hilarious in the scene where she meets up with her boyfriend after standing him up, and Raza Jaffrey is just serving it, and all Kathering can do is stand there, deer caught in headlights and repeating "I'm sorry" in monotone over and over.

We're only two episodes in, but they need to speed it up with the character development, because so far Karen is just a completely boring character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thank god Ivy Lynn got the part. She deserved it way more than Karen.

Really not buying this "son's the one pushing for the adoption" scene...

the execution was terrible. The guys acting was stiff as a board.

And the adoption thing is terrible. The little scene between Julia and her son (Max, I think) fell horribly flat. I hope they plan on going somewhere with that, or they just drop it.

Yep. That entire scene was so fucking awful. The son's reasoning was so so juvenile. He's what, 17 or 18, and he's like "Mommy, you told me when I was little that my baby sister lives in China. What's gonna happen to her if we don't adopt her? She needs us!" O_O Wow, grow the fuck up son. And take some acting lessons while you're at it.

That arrangement for Crazy Dreams? Child I was slain...

Agreed. That song was really great.

Watching the second episode now. Holy shit, the adoption storyline is the worst running subplot I've seen on an otherwise-decent show since the fake pregnancy in the first season of Glee. Cannot believe how awful the (second?) actor playing the teenage son is.

Zyzyxxz

Wait I missed the first 20 minutes of the 2nd episode.

Is her son mentally handicapped? Serious question because if not that is some of the worst acting I've seen since Gran Torino.

When I saw that scene I cringed but was wondering if I missed some backstory.

I've heard tonight's is the worst episode of the season.

I hope so, it was kind of dull. Way too many new characters being thrown at us and far too much screen time for the assistant from hell.

I need more Dev, and I need it now. (Though it's painfully obvious what route they are going down with Karen and his relationship.)

The assistant sucks. Please throw him off the building.

Tonight's ep was about as un-smashing as possible. The first 3/4 they re-hashed all the same stuff.

1. Director sleeping with star.
2. Parents worried about McPhee's character and how she'll make it in NYC on such low pay.
3. Ilene throws drink(s) in Jerry's face.

This all happened in last week's ep as well. How about something new, like -- oh, I don't know -- MORE SINGING! Damn ep was almost over before McPhee got her karaoke on.

I've heard tonight's is the worst episode of the season.

Well, I just watched it and it's the worst thing I've seen in 2012 for sure. It might even be the worst thing I've seen in the entire '11-'12 television season.

This show is getting exponentially worse by the week.

It's too predictable, to the point where I could tell exactly how every single scene is going to end.

royalan

God this episode was a snore. We're three episodes in and they're still treating episodes like a pilot. Too many characters too fast; giving way too much time to stock characters. Way too many boring/useless plots. And they're absolutely wasting Angelica Houston on this pathetic character who seemingly can't do anything but sit at restaurants and throw drinks on her ex-husband.

And I said it once and I'll say it again: Katherine Mcphee and her character just aren't strong enough to carry a show. Karen is a total Mary Sue at this point and Katherine McPhee and her glass eyes aren't bringing anything special to her. So far Ivy and Julia are good examples of completely likeable characters who are nevertheless flawed and have depth. Karen's still giving us good little girl who does nothing wrong and everyone just wants her to succeed...and it's completely boring.

The best parts of the episode:

--Every scene with Julia and Tom. These two interacting and slowly bringing the show together are the most fascinating and unique aspects of the show.

--The ending. I love when they perform songs from the musical and switch to how it will actually look in the completed show. Makes me wish this were an actual musical. Also thought it was a nice touch that the song also served to highlight Will's lingering feelings for Julia.

But that's it. So far this show displays its potential when it focuses in on the main element: the musical. When they delve into the drama between characters it falls flat on its face...hard.

ivysaur12

Banned
So yeah, that was atrocious. I don't get it - YOU FILM IN NEW YORK, you should have access to an amazing talent pool for recurring characters. And that Bruno Mars shit fest was unbelievable. So, so, so bad. And Anjelica Huston is a fucking nightmare. Jesus. She can't handle any scene that requires even a minutia of gravity. Ugh.

My only hope is that this show continues to flounder and makes anything that Awake does seem like a relative success.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I'm done with this show. The third episode was awful. Becky Ann Baker just made it even more apparent. Thinking about the greatness of Freaks & Geeks really puts Smash into proper perspective.

My only hope is that this show continues to flounder and makes anything that Awake does seem like a relative success.

It fell another half point last night, down to a 2.3 demo, and I bet it keeps dropping. So it might end up making Awake's numbers look pretty good.

God this episode was a snore. We're three episodes in and they're still treating episodes like a pilot. Too many characters too fast; giving way too much time to stock characters. Way too many boring/useless plots. And they're absolutely wasting Angelica Houston on this pathetic character who seemingly can't do anything but sit at restaurants and throw drinks on her ex-husband.

And I said it once and I'll say it again: Katherine Mcphee and her character just aren't strong enough to carry a show. Karen is a total Mary Sue at this point and Katherine McPhee and her glass eyes aren't bringing anything special to her. So far Ivy and Julia are good examples of completely likeable characters who are nevertheless flawed and have depth. Karen's still giving us good little girl who does nothing wrong and everyone just wants her to succeed...and it's completely boring.

The best parts of the episode:

--Every scene with Julia and Tom. These two interacting and slowly bringing the show together are the most fascinating and unique aspects of the show.

--The ending. I love when they perform songs from the musical and switch to how it will actually look in the completed show. Makes me wish this were an actual musical. Also thought it was a nice touch that the song also served to highlight Will's lingering feelings for Julia.

But that's it. So far this show displays its potential when it focuses in on the main element: the musical. When they delve into the drama between characters it falls flat on its face...hard.

Nailed it. My feeling exactly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ivy Lynn: "Do you think Derek only gave me the role because I slept with him?" Um, isn't that the reason you slept with him in the first place? To secure the role?

The assistant fucking suuuucks oh my god. Kill him now.

Everything in Ohio was a gigantic eye roll for me. Karen's parents and friends with their permanent smiles and the "redneck" bar were...just...my god.

This show is getting exponentially worse by the week.

I have to agree. I like this show less and less each episode.

And they're absolutely wasting Angelica Houston on this pathetic character who seemingly can't do anything but sit at restaurants and throw drinks on her ex-husband.

Yeah. She's so talented irl but she's so one note on this show.

And that Bruno Mars shit fest was unbelievable. So, so, so bad.

Preach. That was maybe worse than anything I've seen on Glee.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ivy Lynn: "Do you think Derek only gave me the role because I slept with him?" Um, isn't that the reason you slept with him in the first place? To secure the role?

The assistant fucking suuuucks oh my god. Kill him now.

Everything in Ohio was a gigantic eye roll for me. Karen's parents and friends with their permanent smiles and the "redneck" bar were...just...my god.

I have to agree. I like this show less and less each episode.

Yeah. She's so talented irl but she's so one note on this show.

Preach. That was maybe worse than anything I've seen on Glee.

When they all looked in the camera, I paused the episode and deleted the series pass on my DVR. Seriously, who was blocking that shit?

mr stroke

Just finished the last episode and wow, was that shit.

I was trying to give this show a shot as my wife loves musical theater and enjoys the show but I can't take it anymore. First episode was ok and had potential. But it's starting to go no where fast. On top of that evrything is pretty bad - bad musical covers, poor acting, predictable plot, and visually its ugly, soft, with too much bloom in every shot.

I can't imagine this show lasting more than one season, ecspecially if ratings continue to drop.

Well, this episode was much better than last week. Still wasn't amazing or anything, but a noticeable improvement. (Maybe because Ellis was nearly completely absent from the episode.)

I know most people like Ivy compared to Karen, but she just seems needy and manipulative to me. Karen has flaws too, (her stubborn attitude) but at least she's more sure of herself and wants to get ahead on her own merit.

Tom's potential boyfriend is hot.

Delio

O lordt I need to bookmark this thread. Anyways so many things to say, the cattiness from everyone at the start made my blood boil. I get that you cant be all soft but come on. I'm glad she finally gained friends though and good god the gay guy in her new friend circle is hawt.

How the hell do they expect me to take that the assistant is not gay? He's like flaming and it makes me rage. Ivy needs to stop and not let everything go to her head.

Tom's new man was very cute too and I love the constant look he was giving Tom as he played the piano.

Rumor Has it was pretty good on here I feel bad though as I didn't know what song Nick Jonas was singing.

Zoe

I know most people like Ivy compared to Karen, but she just seems needy and manipulative to me. Karen has flaws too, (her stubborn attitude) but at least she's more sure of herself and wants to get ahead on her own merit.

I haven't been able to get behind Ivy. So far she seems like a bitch.

I haven't been able to get behind Ivy. So far she seems like a bitch.

I want to like both of them, but Ivy is getting worse while Karen seems to be getting better. It doesn't help that Ivy's mood changes on a dime either...

Ivy: "I'M SO MAD AT YOU DOUCHE DIRECTOR FOR FLIRTING WITH OTHER WOMEN."

Douche Director: "Let's have sex."

Ivy: "Okay~" *giggle*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom