• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smokers: What do you think of the new Anti-Smoking campign in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Working at a Supermarket here in Australia, I've seen the new campaign being added to new cigarette packets. There used to be big white spaces saying "SMOKING WHILE PREGNANT HURTS YOUR BABY", and other phrases, but now they've added pretty pictures!

0.jpeg
01.jpeg

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg

8.jpeg
9.jpeg

11.jpeg
12.jpeg

14.jpeg
15.jpeg

17.jpeg
18.jpeg

being pretty anti-smoking myself, I like the idea of trying to get people off smoking like this. Seems a bit harsh, but Australia seems to be really into trying to put off people from smoking without totally banning the product. It's being banned from certain pubs recently, and might even be banned from being smoked while your driving soon too. Seems like they're trying to make it such a pain in the arse to smoke that you just won't bother anymore :lol

Seems to be working a bit too. Plenty of people trying to avoid the pictured ones that I give them, or comment on "What does it tell me I'm be dying from today?" :lol

Does America, the UK or the rest of Europe take as much stance with Tobacco like this?

Suerte

In the UK we've had some pretty gruesome anti-smoking adverts, but I'm not sure how much of an impact they've had. Saying that, here in Scotland legislation just came into force banning smoking in public places, so hopefully that will have more of an effect since it'll effect peoples lives in general much more than a shocking advert which will probably be gone out of mind in a week.

milanbaros

Member?
Well the Uk has had s taggered public ban on smoking which should finish in England in Summer next year. The tax on cigareetes here is relatively large (It costs £2.30-50) for a 10 pack of L&B silvers) and it continues to rise above inflation. Almost all forms of advertising are banned except billboards but the size of the warning almost makes them look like anti smoking posters.

The TV adverts are either just support to help you quit or they use shock effects showing someone dying from a smoking related illness, which they wait until they die to show to have a larger impact. They are quite effective I think but the seatbelt ones are better. Also, focusing on the health problems for younger people isnt much of a turn off and thats the real problem area. I think the continued bans and price rises, perhaps coupled with an age raise to 18 (which I suspect will happen soon), will have a greater effect.

What is the price of cigarettes in Australia and elsewhere?

Rlan

These adverts aren't taking away your rights though, the other laws do :p

Ciragettes are between 7-8AU for 20's, 10-12AU for $25's, 13-15AU for $35's, and 16-18AU for 50's. 30g pack of drum is a little less than 17AU, 50g is 22AU+

Next you'll be buying beer with pictures of drunk driving victims. Then those pictures will be on your car. Then that naked fat guy at the computer will be on your Oreos. Where will it end?

Ogni-XR21

BobbyRobby said:
I like them. Taking away rights is funny. :lol

I don't think so, you still have the right to smoke. They just warn you what might happen when you do!

I think it's a good idea, maybe if these would have been on the boxes when I started I might not have started at all. Nicotine is one of the worst drugs ever, and you don't even get a buzz...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Must have taken the idea from Canada (unless someone else knows better) which started that in 2000 .... but some of those are way harsher than ours. We have a "dirty smoker's mouth" too (hold it up to your face to amuse folks at parties!), but it's not even as bad as that.

And what..... no limp cigarette suggesting impotence risk? :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ahhh so these ads are the ones the cig companies tried to not shove out here in Australia. Was wondering when they were going to show up.

tt_deeb

BobJustBob said:
Next you'll be buying beer with pictures of drunk driving victims. Then those pictures will be on your car. Then that naked fat guy at the computer will be on your Oreos. Where will it end?

Heh, did you just get done watching Thank You For Smoking?

Diffense

Smoking hastens death for sure.
It's believed to cause everything from bad breath to impotence to cancer.
Also, since the substances are addictive YOU end up paying and enriching others in order to kill yourself. Then, as people become more aware of the dangers of secondhand smoke, smokers face more and more social exclusion as smoking is being disallowed in more and more public places. [Ever seen smokers being forced to go outside into the cold of winter to get a puff in order to 'warm up'?].

Those deliberately graphics ads might encouarge a smoker to begin the quitting process. However even if those who already smoke are a lost cause such shock ads might be good for young people contemplating taking up the habit especially as a counterweight to the appealing advertisements from the tobacco companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom