• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT V: Switch Exclusive

Vandole

I just hope the game will be a tiny bit more uplifting than SMT IV. I loved the game, but god that was the most bleak game I have played in years.

butman

Good for the Switch.

I wonder why the only SMT mainline game (Nocturne) was released only on PS2 back in the day. Knowing that every other entries are on Nintendo consoles.

Maybe is the Monster Hunter case that is back were it was born.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm confused, I thought this information was revealed back in an earlier presentation, why are people surprised that it's SMTV?

All they showed was a bunch of character models - and the fact they were working on a switch project. People had made an educated guess, but it wasn't until now that the project was confirmed as SMT V.

I just hope the game will be a tiny bit more uplifting than SMT IV. I loved the game, but god that was the most bleak game I have played in years.

This might not be the series for you my friend.

HunterXZelos

Neo Member
MudoSkills said:
All they showed was a bunch of character models - and the fact they were working on a switch project. People had made an educated guess, but it wasn't until now that the project was confirmed as SMT V.

That's true I guess, for some reasons I just kinda thought it was SMTV when I saw that teaser back in january, maybe I'm just weird

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I would not expect SMT on Sony machines just because it has not been so since Nocturne. By that same token however, i guess Persona would not be on Switch either? Atlus seem to be in the "one francise per system" type of mindset. I wonder what Atlus's new IP will end up on

MikeBison

Just like every game released for Switch, that realisation that I can be playing SMT at home on the big screen, then throw it into my bag and continue at work. Glorious.

Fucking loved the 2 SMT IV games. Dripping with unique atmosphere and I love the press turn combat.

Sony's platform ever gotten the Persona series after the Ps2 with the main titles and spin off ended up on the DS and then the 3DS.

I guess the budget?

silva1991

I'm expecting the localized version to be announced to PS4. or late port.

If it doesn't happen then oh well, their lose. Plenty of other JRPGs to play next year.

night814

It wasn't as good as Nocturne?
Not as good as Nocturne but the game was fantastic. It's graphics are a little rough around the edges especially now but it's gameplay is pure SMT greatness and the story is enjoyable. The map can be a little hard to navigate at points, there's one or two specific moments in the game where it's difficult to find your next area. If you already have a 3DS it's a no brainier, it's on sale for $15 every few months too.

jimmypython

I would not expect SMT on Sony machines just because it has not been so since Nocturne. By that same token however, i guess Persona would not be on Switch either? Atlus seem to be in the "one francise per system" type of mindset. I wonder what Atlus's new IP will end up on

3DS has Persona Q1 and Q2.

Switch has a chance to get a new Persona for sure.

I don't think there is anything set in stone. Persona Q came to 3ds and Atlas Japan sent out a questionnaire asking fans what they wanted. Whether they wanted cross system ports of vita/3ds games or whatever.

MikeBison

That bleakness was probably my favourite part about the game, but I can understand it feeling too much.

Inuhanyou

3DS has Persona Q1 and Q2.

Switch has a chance to get a new Persona for sure.

I don't think there is anything set in stone. Persona Q came to 3ds and Atlas Japan sent out a questionnaire asking fans what they wanted. Whether they wanted cross system ports of vita/3ds games or whatever.

Q is a spinoff aimed at Japan..also PS2 did get raidou, DDS, and whatnot.

Not saying it means anything now, but i don't think what 3DS got and what PS2 got means anything for what PS4 or Switch get in terms of mainline numbered titles.

Vandole

This might not be the series for you my friend.

Heh, yeah I definitely have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this series. Hate isn't even the right word. Just overwhelmed at times. Maybe just show a little sunlight in the game from time to time.

Never played an SMT game so I will probably end up picking this up since it's not on a pure handheld. Would prefer a PS4 version, but if it does end up being Switch only no big deal will get it there.

Are these standalone games or would i need to play the others to get the most out of it? Never played them but would like to try on the switch.

Despera

Banned
Should I make a new thread for the famitsu interview or are we going to use this as a sort of mega thread?

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times
One of the directions we are taking with Shin Megami Tensei V is to reexamine the “characteristics of the era.” There are surely many people frustrated by troubles both at home and abroad, such as anxiety about finding a job and getting old, or terrorists and nuclear weapons. I want to make a Shin Megami Tensei game that can sympathize with such an era. That is our challenge.
That's very interesting.

Since this is the first Shin Megami Tensei game on a home console in a long time, I want to deliver a hybrid game that combines the profound appeal of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and the popular training elements of Shin Megami Tensei IV and the like.
The teaser definitely gave off a heavy Nocturne vibe. Since that's my fav JRPG of all time I can't freaking wait to get my hands on V.

Ex-Psych

Some people need to accept that this is a Switch exclusive. Atlus would've slap the PS4 logo on that trailer that was the case, it wasn't a Nintendo stream. I don't any reason why they would omit that.

mejin

Some people need to accept that this is a Switch exclusive. Atlus would've slap the PS4 logo on that trailer that was the case, it wasn't a Nintendo stream. I don't any reason why they would omit that.

It was officially announced for Switch, but there is no mention of full exclusivity (?) yet like we had on Octopath, for example.

With that weak justification for why they chose switch I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming for PS4 later.

It was officially announced for Switch, but there is no mention of full exclusivity (?) yet like we had on Octopath, for example.

With that weak justification for why they chose switch I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming for PS4 later.

No, what you're doing is weak justification. It's exclusive until stated otherwise, not the opposite. Some of you need to get over the fact the PS4 isn't getting a game you want

Vanille

Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei were once released primarily on Nintendo platforms, now everyone is acting as if Sony owned the exclusivity or something?

I have no idea where you're getting this from. Literally no one expected SMTV to be Sony exclusive.

Snakeyes

The tidbit about this having Nocturne-like themes with IV gameplay sounds really promising.

Oh, and I hope those complaining about Switch exclusivity also feel that way about P5 only being available on PS4. It's only fair, right?

Inuhanyou

The tidbit about this having Nocturne-like themes with IV gameplay sounds really promosing.

Oh, and I hope those complaining about Switch exclusivity also feel that way about P5 only being available on PS4. It's only fair, right?

this is true, until the time comes that switch gets an enhanced P5 port, then i'll want SMT5 enhanced edition on PS4 :p

But as it stands now, im fine with them being on seperate platforms, ill just buy it with my switch

Blunoise

The tidbit about this having Nocturne-like themes with IV gameplay sounds really promising.

No, because Sony must always have every game that comes out for them.
Good thing I’m a gamer that has a 3ds, PS4, and switch. So I can play any game I want to :)

-shadow-

Bugs we have a region free system, you can go ahead!

46eb807bdf23f63e1952a86sf3.gif

Top Bottom