• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Gleethor

Also, my earlier take for those on the fence about which version to buy.

Here's where I'm at when it comes to same-day indie multiplats on Switch: I buy the games I want when they release on Switch in order to have a portable version of the game and support indie Switch releases, then wait til the same game is either free on PS plus or significantly discounted on PS4 which it inevitably will be long before it's discounted on Switch.

Malus

if a ps4 can't maintain 60 fps on this.. it isn't surprising that the switch version runs better @ 720p than it does at 1080.

Honestly more disappointed about the missing gameplay mode than I am the framerate.

Fine but no one's forcing them to make docked mode run at 1080p. Same shit with Zelda.

I'd MUCH rather have frame rate parity across the Switch's modes than a bump in resolution. I hope this doesn't become a big trend.

What's so special about time trial they couldn't put it in?Also, the framerate was already known but I like these posts that try to always to put Nintendo stuff on a negative side. "It's the worst version by far" really?

I would hazard to guess it would have something to do with leaderboards and getting those working because local time trials themselves should be trivial to implement. It's only when you integrate them with online leaderboard that time trials are liable to present any unique difficulties.

Fast Racing Neo also skipped it's time trial mode on the Switch. Are there any Switch games out right now with a time trial like feature?

-GJ-

Are Switch eShop games released at midnight like PSN games? I know Wii U games aren't, but I don't know if they switched things up with the Switch eShop. I won't be home tomorrow but I'd have time to play it tonight and tomorrow morning.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah it's very confusing that the Switch can't keep up with the PS4 performance wise
/s

That is of course true, but sometimes I think people still expect relative parity. Performance of ports to the Switch aren't likely to be at all favourable.

chronomac

Are Switch eShop games released at midnight like PSN games? I know Wii U games aren't, but I don't know if they switched things up with the Switch eShop. I won't be home tomorrow but I'd have time to play it tonight and tomorrow morning.

I checked the Snake Pass twitter account and they say it's Midnight (probably PDT).

I just checked the eShop and it's showing up as March 29th for me in Europe :/.
We get it a day later.

Will the Switch version get time trial mode eventually?

Lovely looking OT, but on mobile with images disabled it's completely blank. Kind of like a website from 1999. At least some plain text content would be nice.

What's so special about time trial they couldn't put it in?Also, the framerate was already known but I like these posts that try to always to put Nintendo stuff on a negative side. "It's the worst version by far" really?

As someone who's going to buy a Switch later this year, I mean... "It's the worst version by far" isn't wrong by any means. It's impressive that Sumo got the game working on the Switch so fast but running at 30fps with no time trial mode is pretty bad when compared to all other options. The ability to play it on the go is the only thing it has going for it.

Mrbob

Fine but no one's forcing them to make docked mode run at 1080p. Same shit with Zelda.

I'd MUCH rather have frame rate parity across the Switch's modes than a bump in resolution. I hope this doesn't become a big trend.
Agreed, or at least give the option to run more smoothly at 720p. If there are two graphical modes to choose from let us choose them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I had no idea this was Sumo's. Awesome!

I'm torn between picking it up on the Switch or on the PS4.

Kouichi

I can't wait to play this. Snake Pass and Yooka-Laylee are going to drown me in Rare nostalgia for next few weeks.

BiggNife

Damn I was 100% on board to buy this on Switch but I didn't know about the framerate reduction/missing content. Now I'm a little more hesitant.

Have they said that the time trial stuff will be patched into the Switch version?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
It'll be interesting to see if devs continue to run games at higher resolution when docked on the Switch than in handheld mode if they can't get performance to match up. I know I'd gladly take this game running at 60fps in 720p over the 30 fps 1080p breakdown that we're currently getting. Hell, I'd love the option to choose for myself, but that sounds way outside the realm of what to expect...

Irminsul

As someone who's going to buy a Switch later this year, I mean... "It's the worst version by far" isn't wrong by any means. It's impressive that Sumo got the game working on the Switch so fast but running at 30fps with no time trial mode is pretty bad when compared to all other options. The ability to play it on the go is the only thing it has going for it.
That depends entirely on whether those 30 fps are locked and how it runs on the other consoles. 60 fps locked > 60 fps with few dips > 30 fps locked > 60 fps with a lot of dips. At least for me.

Ridley327

I would hazard to guess it would have something to do with leaderboards and getting those working because local time trials themselves should be trivial to implement. It's only when you integrate them with online leaderboard that time trials are liable to present any unique difficulties.

Fast Racing Neo also skipped it's time trial mode on the Switch. Are there any Switch games out right now with a time trial like feature?

Not really the same thing, but to your point, The Binding of Isaac has online leaderboards and even daily challenges. I could probably buy Fast RMX being more a time crunch thing that they're planning on adding back in later (they did mention that Nintendo helped them fast track the shit out of it to make launch), but this seems a little odd.

Lingitiz

The dip in framerate wasn't a big deal to me for the ability to have it portable, but the loss of content is kind of a deal breaker. If I check it out it'll probably be on my PS4 Pro.

Dremorak

Banned
That depends entirely on whether those 30 fps are locked and how it runs on the other consoles. 60 fps locked > 60 fps with few dips > 30 fps locked > 60 fps with a lot of dips. At least for me.

For me its

Stable framerate -> 60fps ->30 fps.

30fps is totally fine, as long as its stable.

Malus

It'll be interesting to see if devs continue to run games at higher resolution when docked on the Switch than in handheld mode if they can't get performance to match up. I know I'd gladly take this game running at 60fps in 720p over the 30 fps 1080p breakdown that we're currently getting. Hell, I'd love the option to choose for myself, but that sounds way outside the realm of what to expect...

Assuming it'd run at 60fps while in 720p docked. I mean shit I'd settle for a more stable 30fps.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No time trial on Switch? Eh--I never play that anyway. Rather have the portable, so I'll get it for Switch.

Cerium

I wasn't even aware there was a time trial mode let alone that it was missing from Switch.

Regardless, I'm mainly curious to see the first Unreal Engine 4 game on Switch, and the price is low enough for me to take that leap of faith. It seems like the perfect title for pick up and play on the go.

Vena

Isaac has it. Fast didn't have it ready in time and wanted to hit launch but are otherwise patching it in soon.

BiggNife

I mean people do understand this game was just started months back on Switch. Might be why missing time trial. It made the launch day though.
Sure, but when a game is released on one console the same time as every other console, it's pretty normal to expect parity. If they patch it in eventually, then that's fine.

jokkir

Yeah, I'm expecting a patch with the stuff the Switch version is missing. Time trial more seems like a no brainer

Charamiwa

Banned
I feel like there's a lot of things we don't now about how this game runs. The only thing stated for sure is that PS4 Pro has higher framerates... I'm waiting this one out.

mlclmtckr

Banned
So this is like a non-jumping platformer, right? Like a platformer where you traverse the level not by jumping but by moving and coiling the snake's body?

That seems really cool, I don't think I've seen a game do that before.

bounchfx

When do reviews drop for this?

I tried it a bit at GDC but hadn't heard of it so I was confused as fuck. But after looking into it more it intrigues me. Curious as to how it'll be overall. It felt/played super slow so I wasn't sure but, I can switch my mind into it. The only thing is it looked really blurry/fuzzy, almost faux-low rez when I was playing it on the switch. Not sure if intentional. Wasn't a bad look just... different... not for everyone.

ngower

Pretty much waiting for reviews/Switch impressions to drop. So long as the game is good and has no major performance issues, I'll be buying it.

Malus

So this is like a non-jumping platformer, right? Like a platformer where you traverse the level not by jumping but by moving and coiling the snake's body?

That seems really cool, I don't think I've seen a game do that before.

Captain Toad was a really cool platformer without jumping. The concept for Snake Pass is a little more unique overall of course.

I wasn't even aware there was a time trial mode let alone that it was missing from Switch.

Regardless, I'm mainly curious to see the first Unreal Engine 4 game on Switch, and the price is low enough for me to take that leap of faith. It seems like the perfect title for pick up and play on the go.

Someone may want to verify it, just what I noticed as it's not in the store description on the Switch version, but is on the others.

Top Bottom