• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Rumble is awful in handheld mode. Need an option to disable it.

However using a pro controller is fine, although the option to tone it down or off would still be appreciated.

Apart from that I love what I've played so far. Nice chilled out game and the controls started to stick once I learned to use the grip button and not just hold forward and up all the time.

Nice to have a small scale game from a respected developer with this level of polish for a reasonable price.

JonnyKong

Give me a second, I'll run it on PC and check the framerate.

Yep, drops to 50fps after sometime progressing into the second level at max and 1440p.

I ran through the level a second time to find them but also missed out on 2. I have a suspicion that they are near the
trees
, which are a bit off the path, but I couldn't make my way there yet and wanted to keep playing. Will go back after getting some more practice in for sure.

I found them eventually. They're all in the very first area you start (off to the side or underneath the main playing area).

I've done three levels so far. I am enjoying it, but two coins so far have been REALLY frustrating.

ngower

Went ahead and bought it. Impressions seem solid so far and it looks like the game will enjoy some support post-launch on Switch (at least technically, not sure about game modes). The developers seem like good folks so willing to support 'em.

Coketruck

Anyone finding the joy-con rumble on Switch to be really annoying? When you collect the blue orb things (sorry don't know what they're called) it's a really high pitched vibration and is really audible. Quite distracting!

Jesus christ, the rumble on Switch is like I'm getting an electric shock.

Hope they fix that.

According to this story, the developers are aware of the issue and are pushing a patch to correct it very soon.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/03/28/snake-pass-nintendo-switchs-rumble-sound-broken/

The Dark Souls of snake games.

Up through level five now, but this is not the calming/relaxation game that I read about. It's basically stress: the game. My whole body tenses up trying to slither to these coins. It can get crazy frustrating as you fail over and over, but the feeling when you actually accomplish collecting everything is rewarding.

There are some flaws for sure and most of my complaints have to do with the camera. There have been too many instances where I've fallen from some bamboo due to part of the environment popping up and blocking what I need to see. Grrr.... Oh well, doesn't ruin the total experience. Despite the stress this game gives me I'm loving it, there's nothing quite like it.

The_Lump

Banned
Is the rumble that bad?

Was gonna get it for Switch but maybe I'll just go PS4 if it's that distracting

It's just a bit irritating, but it's just a bug which they are fixing (and it's only present on joy-cons, not pro controller)

Also, can turn rumble off in console settings until they fix it so no biggy.

It's just a bit irritating, but it's just a bug which they are fixing (and it's only present on joy-cons, not pro controller)

Also, can turn rumble off in console settings until they fix it so no biggy.

Man I wish Pro Controllers were easier to find

Thanks for the rumble tip though, glad to hear you can disable it

Lijik

Just got to the water world and the swimming controls are so satisfying. With a bit of effort you can tie Noodle up in a little pretzel knot underwater which is pointless but also kinda fun
tumblr_onlec2SdA31qejutxo1_1280.jpg
im at a point right now where im comfortable enough with the controls its become a lot more relaxing than it was in levels 1 and 2 to get all the stuff.

There are some flaws for sure and most of my complaints have to do with the camera. There have been too many instances where I've fallen from some bamboo due to part of the environment popping up and blocking what I need to see. Grrr.... Oh well, doesn't ruin the total experience. Despite the stress this game gives me I'm loving it, there's nothing quite like it.
the camera is the source of my few complaints too. when its in a cramped area its hard to manage even in low stakes scenarios. In the first water stage i kept accidentally swimming back into a previous room because the camera was so funky in the narrow tunnel leading to the next one

The puyo puyo Tetris rumble is also out of whack. Maybe there's some sort of problem with the rumble development tools that developers are having trouble with? Zelda is super subtle in contrast

JoeM86

Simultaneously enjoying and hating this game

C8G-CkAVUAA14ta.jpg:orig

This happens way too often.

The controls are weird. I try to make sure I'm sturdy, but I often keep falling down or overstretching :( I guess I lack patience

About an hour into this and I'm really not enjoying it. The camera is terrible. I find it constantly decides to whip around and obscure my view when I'm about to navigate a tricky climb.

Bought digital on the Switch so I've no chance of a refund. Wish there was a demo I could of tried first. Ah well back to Zelda

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Okay, having put some more time into this I have some quibbles/questions.

1. What does Grip actually do, exactly? I've used the grip when wrapping around a pole and the back end of noodle still slowly ends up sliding off. It's hard to take your time when it feels like you're dragging a length of droopy snake behind you, and Grip doesn't seem to do anything to fix that. Or make noodle any more, well, "grippy". What actual change does holding down Grip make to noodle?

2. Head controls: I'd like to echo someone in here and say there needs to be an option for absolute head controls, not camera relative all the time. And on that note, I feel like 'raise head' being a single, digital control hurts finesse; it can be really tricky to thread the needle sometimes when your only options seemingly are head up or down, and while you try to get the head on the right level the body is sliding off.

brawly

How is the audio quality on Switch/Xbox One/PC? It's pretty bad on the PS4. I'm actually thinking about listening to it on my tablet instead of the game. It does a total disservice to the amazing music.

illusionary

I think I'm going to need to get this, but I'm stalling on buying as I can't decide between PS4 (in which case, I ought to have bought it a couple of days ago) and Switch.

And yes, I know that double-dipping would solve the issue, but I can't really justify that right now - at least not at full price! I guess that it's more likely to get a significant discount (eventually) on PS4 than Switch...

Simultaneously enjoying and hating this game

C8G-CkAVUAA14ta.jpg:orig

This happens way too often.

The controls are weird. I try to make sure I'm sturdy, but I often keep falling down or overstretching :( I guess I lack patience
Don't be afraid to completely stop when climbing. Hold the grip trigger and plan your next move.

Ridley327

Boy, it's really fun to get into the groove of the controls. Once you realize that it's OK to stop and "plan" your next moves while you're wrapped around bamboo without having to grip, things begin to click in place and it gets really satisfying to pull off one of the crazier gold coin climbs, like the notorious bridge in the first level. Definitely some camera quirks throughout, but after three levels and getting 100% in them, this is shaping up to be a really satisfying puzzle-platformer.

LaneDS

I am by no means finished playing it, but I will point out that no game in recent memory has turned me off as quickly as this game did with the controls. Initially I thought "this is pretty neat" and within five minutes I found it hugely frustrating. Will give it another go soon in any case.

The last straight pole. I can go that high without problems but the last part right before you reach the yellow stone kills me every time.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I found my issue was that I just wasn't coiling tight enough and was applying too much forward movement. On either horizontal or vertical poles, the tighter the better. You can take it pretty slow and steady and make progress. Constantly readjust your head and don't move until it's positioned correctly.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
How is the audio quality on Switch/Xbox One/PC? It's pretty bad on the PS4. I'm actually thinking about listening to it on my tablet instead of the game. It does a total disservice to the amazing music.

God, I thought I was going crazy. It sounds poor, doesn't it? Like a 360p YouTube video.

Don't be afraid to completely stop when climbing. Hold the grip trigger and plan your next move.

I don't feel like the grip function is working for me. I hold grip but noodle still slowly slides off the bamboo.

Kinsei

Banned
What are the conditions to get Doodle to pick your tail up? Sometimes it seems like the little bird ignores me.

Just make sure your tail isn't in water.

Sometimes the bird won't pick up your tail the first time you press triangle after you die. Always make sure to hit triangle as soon as you respawn so that this becomes a non issue.

Nah, I don't have the patience for this. Grip doesn't help and the snake (head) is often doing the exact opposite what I wanna do. It's a very frustrating experience. I feel like wasting my time with this (actually great) game.

if you're good at wrapping around horizontal poles, try going around "back". i find it a little easier than the path the orbs are on
tumblr_onliyiXMXz1qejutxo1_540.png

That's the problem. I'm not. I don't even know how this works. I'm always failing immediately (yes, even with grip).

Kinsei

Banned
Nah, I don't have the patience for this. Grip doesn't help and the snake (head) is often doing the exact opposite what I wanna do. It's a very frustrating experience. I feel like wasting my time with this (actually great) game.

If grip isn't working then your loops are too loose. You have to tightly coil your body around the bamboo in order to get a good grip.

Mdk7

I got to level 7 I think, 100% collectibles everywhere save one in the level 4.
I'm loving every single minute with this game, it's so fresh and unique and charming.
And hard too, especially in you want to go for all the coins.
Seriously, I have been following this since the very first unveiling, but it has exceeded my expectations.

If grip isn't working then your loops are too loose. You have to tightly coil your body around the bamboo in order to get a good grip.

Hmm, but there is another problem: the camera. You have to release the A button to control the camera...which is pretty stupid because you need the A button to climb.

Lijik

Hmm, but there is another problem: the camera. You have to release the A button to control the camera...which is pretty stupid because you need the A button to climb.

for what its worth this is part of what makes sticking to the back easier because instead of having to keep rotating around the tower, you just have to angle the camera once and can mostly leave it alone

Ridley327

BTW, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, a really good tactic is to go back to checkpoints every so often. Since they do put a lot of the gold coins in places where you can fall off, it's good to save your progress so you won't have to do redo too much in the event that Noodle falls forever.

Majine

Banned
I don't think this game is for me. It's more frustrating than relaxing. Too much fiddling that makes me crave for a Mario game, a platformer where you have better control of your character.

shield

Managed to get Noodle's head stuck under this thing, and now I can't get him out. I can't kill myself, so it seems like the only thing I can do is restart the whole level, which sucks because it's a particularly tricky one that I struggled on for a while to find the collectibles...

I don't think this game is for me. It's more frustrating than relaxing. Too much fiddling that makes me crave for a Mario game, a platformer where you have better control of your character.

The users who helped me were right. You have to use the grip-button. You can even slowly move forward while using grip so it's actually easier than it seems to be.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
My best advice for those struggling with the play controls, just keep playing around in the first world and practice, practice, practice! Took me a little bit to get used to but now I'm doing much better controlling Noodles.

Has Sumo mentioned anything about Switch sales numbers or is that something only Nintendo will release? I hope it's doing well for them. Successful indie games on the Switch are important for us as owners, along with *well done* third party entries.

Rezbit

Managed to get Noodle's head stuck under this thing, and now I can't get him out. I can't kill myself, so it seems like the only thing I can do is restart the whole level, which sucks because it's a particularly tricky one that I struggled on for a while to find the collectibles...

Haha sorry to laugh but that face is just a perfect "Fuck it I'm stuck" face.

Top Bottom