• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

tolkir

The grab (ZR) is a game changer, I tried more 20 times to get two hard coins in the first level without know about the button. Thank god, it says you in level 2 about the grab button because I was losing the patience.

First three levels completed 100% until now.

The grab (ZR) is a game changer, I tried more 20 times to get two hard coins in the first level without know about the button. Thank god, it says you in level 2 about the grab button because I was losing the patience.

First three levels completed 100% until now.

Same man, I kept falling until I eventually ended up checking the controls menu to see if I was missing something, I was.

TAS

Going to pick this up ASAP. How is the performance on Switch? I'm assuming it's good being that the game is using the UE4 engine. 👍

Chû Totoro;232971804 said:
Wanted to wait for reviews but the IGN video added to price and release date parity on Switch sold me.

I'm playing through it before posting my review but I can tell you now that it's worth buying. The Switch version is wonderful.

Game looks fantastic but the controls look so unique I really wish it had a demo. Always feels slimy buying a game on Steam and refunding it after 2 hours.

nynt9

Ugh, when you take a wifi-connected switch, sleep the game, then go into an area without wifi and wake the game, it tries to connect to the internet 3 times every 5 seconds, making the game unplayable, even with airplane mode on. wtf

This doesn't happen if you reboot the switch into airplane mode, but this is unacceptable.

Game looks fantastic but the controls look so unique I really wish it had a demo. Always feels slimy buying a game on Steam and refunding it after 2 hours.
rusrs1.gif

Irminsul

Ugh, when you take a wifi-connected switch, sleep the game, then go into an area without wifi and wake the game, it tries to connect to the internet 3 times every 5 seconds, making the game unplayable, even with airplane mode on. wtf

This doesn't happen if you reboot the switch into airplane mode, but this is unacceptable.
Yeah, had that happen to me too.

Bonus: The message popping up complaining about no Internet first freezes the frame and then pauses the game. Meaning you can be on your way into a bottomless pit by the time you close it.

komorebi

Posted this last night before I passed out. Guess it wasn't just my system after all... must be a bug that I hope gets patched soon. We gotta bring it to their attention but I don't use twitter.

I want this pretty darn bad but I'm already cutting it close with budgeting and I'm accumulating a Switch backlog since I'm still neck-deep in Zelda

Good to hear it's fun though! I'll be playing it eventually for sure.

C.Mongler

Yup, this is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed, it happened to me this morning too. Was playing last night and put it to sleep when I decided it was time for bed, brought it on the bus this morning and got the 'Please connect to the internet' of death when I woke it up. Had to exit the game and restart the level I had almost beaten, which was pretty frustrating. For a second I was worried this game was always online for some reason, but luckily that's not the case; just an issue when the game is disconnected when already connected to the internet.

basefree

Is there any incentive to collecting absolutely everything including the golden coins? Does it unlock something later on?

Briarios

Is there any incentive to collecting absolutely everything including the golden coins? Does it unlock something later on?

We do it because they are there.

Actually, I dunno if there is anything, but it's fun to collect them all for me. I view it as the actual game, not just opening the portal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is PC version? Performance, controls, settings etc..

Performance is fine and there a handful of graphics options to tweak, though don't expect 60fps at max settings when running the game at an ultra-high resolution (I generally get 40~50fps at 4K with a 1080). I can't speak to the kb&m controls as I've been using an X1 controller.

ToTi

I can't even take the first coin in the first level, I need some help with the controls...

Edit: omg I did it, it took 30 minutes but I think I'm getting better! Feels good.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I feel like this game would really benefit from a demo. If you buy it and end up not being able to wrap yourself around the controls, you're not going to enjoy it. I could see how someone could be frustrated with them, although it hasn't been an issue for me. Aside from some camera woes and the bird requiring multiple button presses to pick up the tail, I really love the way it feels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming this didn't get a physical release on Switch. I want to pick it up for Switch, but am wary of using up a bunch of space early in the console's life.

How much space does it take up?

How is PC version? Performance, controls, settings etc..

It's good, but 60FPS is surprisingly demanding on higher settings.

I'm getting about 50 fps on High settings with RX 480 and i7 6700 at 1080p.

Settings contain Resolution, Shadows, Post-process, AA, and Draw Distance. All can be set at Low, Medium, High or Very High.

Resolution is a separate option from your selected output resolution, and changes the renderscale without specifics. Low seem to be 1/4.

Xbox controller support is perfect. Can't vouch for KB/M, but wouldn't want to play it like that based on the analogue controls.

Audio can be set to "TV", "Speakers" or "Headphones".

Anybody else seeing a coloured border flash up during loading? Will try to get a video. Looks like a graphics bug.

On Switch in portable mode.

Getting used to the movement is gonna be a process, sometimes makes my trigger feel like its busted when Noodle slows to a standstill as I try and shimmy his way forward.
Also feeling like I don't quite understand how grip works.

Actually between Noodle's movement and a very brief stint in FF15's manual drive car refusing to go over 5mph I'm beginning to think that my R2 trigger is in fact, kinda fucked, if this is the case I'll have to leave this until I get a controller fix.

Feeroper

I'm intensely interested in this game. Was considering PS4 vs Switch, but man the versatility of the Switch to bring it with me on the go makes the Switch one more desirable to me - I usually prefer the top performer in terms of frame rate but the switch videos I've seen look pretty solid overall and the built in portability is tough to beat.

I'm having a difficult time determine what style of game this is - I've seen some people mention Banjo Kazooie - is it similar to that? Is it a platformer? I thought it was more of a puzzle game initially.

I wish there was a demo for this game, I don't know whether to get it on Switch or PS4. The portability will be nice but from what I'm hearing 720p 30fps docked vs 1080p 60fps is a pretty big difference. I don't know how much I'd use it undocked either :/

Getting used to the movement is gonna be a process, sometimes makes my trigger feel like its busted when Noodle slows to a standstill as I try and shimmy his way forward.
Also feeling like I don't quite understand how grip works.

Grip seems to require you to have looped around something to work. It definitely makes a difference, but won't lock you in place.

And you gotta slither left and right to move forward, or you'll just slow down.

Ladekabel

I wish there was a demo for this game, I don't know whether to get it on Switch or PS4. The portability will be nice but from what I'm hearing 720p 30fps docked vs 1080p 60fps is a pretty big difference. I don't know how much I'd use it undocked either :/

I went with the Switch version because I wanted to send the signal that I want indies on Switch and I like playing portable more than consoles. If you don't care about this go for the PS4 version, especially if you have a Pro.

From the other thread:

(...) I also saw some Polygon footage of the PS4 version a few days ago running with an unstable, unlocked frame-rate but the actual final version is a rock solid 30fps on a standard PS4. Odd.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anybody else seeing a coloured border flash up during loading? Will try to get a video. Looks like a graphics bug.

On Switch in portable mode.

I get a green line at the bottom of my screen during loading. I still haven't played a lot of games with HDR on my TV, so I assumed it was something funky going on with that.

Never popped up in menus or actual gameplay, though.

Ladekabel

The bird is the one carrying the stones and can pretty much fly everywhere. Why is the noodledoodlemoodle or whatever the name of the snake is needed?

Last night I wanted to throw my Switch into a wall. Today I am able to slither my way up wooden structures, hop to other platforms and slide my way down a snake slide.

If you can learn the move mechanics, it goes from anxious, frustrated and stressful to relaxing, enjoyable and a delight.

This game has really grown on me and I am so glad to have picked it up.

KainXVIII

It's good, but 60FPS is surprisingly demanding on higher settings.

I'm getting about 50 fps on High settings with RX 480 and i7 6700 at 1080p.

Settings contain Resolution, Shadows, Post-process, AA, and Draw Distance. All can be set at Low, Medium, High or Very High.

Resolution is a separate option from your selected output resolution, and changes the renderscale without specifics. Low seem to be 1/4.

Xbox controller support is perfect. Can't vouch for KB/M, but wouldn't want to play it like that based on the analogue controls.

Audio can be set to "TV", "Speakers" or "Headphones".

Thanks, UE4 is demanding indeed..

Last night I wanted to throw my Switch into a wall. Today I am able to slither my way up wooden structures, hop to other platforms and slide my way down a snake slide.

If you can learn the move mechanics, it goes from anxious, frustrated and stressful to relaxing, enjoyable and a delight.

This game has really grown on me and I am so glad to have picked it up.

Man, I really hope that's the case for me. Having an awful time right now. I can slither around on the ground but everything else is too much for my little human brain.

Man, I really hope that's the case for me. Having an awful time right now. I can slither around on the ground but everything else is too much for my little human brain.

Try to work with the ZL grip when trying to climb and wrap. Use that to basically stop your body from falling and move your head around tighter around objects. It almost feels like driving a manual car or something - ZL for clutch, ZR for gas.

XaosWolf

Them coins on the first level are brutal considering you haven't even been taught how to grip yet.

"At least only the coins are difficult" thought me before level 4 and it's blue orbs with no safety nets.

Thankfully I have a solid handle on the controls as it was my Game of the Show at EGX last year. The levels are a lot more nerve-wracking when the safety nets are gone.

Top Bottom