• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Timu

ietaOetae1XYe.PNG
i9BKiIZCoPEKl.PNG
ieRzyE9q3UWec.PNG
iCdukSSDtwUxG.PNG
iD4xha1TeLpMQ.PNG

Just picked up X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, this game is pretty hard, I had a easier time with Psylocke and Wolverine compared to the other characters, but it's pretty good with varied moves for characters and such, and dat ass BTW.
iQVFYQtbb4pUI.PNG

IrishNinja

^haha yeah

i loved that game, as a comics fan most games back then were terrible and that one was enjoyable, i even managed to beat it! took nearly my whole crew & Gambit (oddly enough) dealt the final blow) but man was i happy.

still eager to play War of the Gems one day too

BTails

Hey, so has anyone seen a board like this one?

36wvIuG.jpg

I just got a copy of Super Return of the Jedi in the mail yesterday, and I've never seen a board so GREEN around the contact before. Otherwise, it's in great shape. My first thought was it was a counterfeit, but honestly, who would fake a $7 game?

I unfortunately don't have the proper screwdriver to open it up (Sacrilege, I know!), so I can't post a picture of the board proper.

Mzo

That game came out pretty late in the system's life.

Does the back of the cart have a sticker, or is MADE IN MEXICO chiseled into the very plastic with whatever crude tools were available at the factory?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
you are killing me lambs

please holla if you ever wanna double your investment on SF3!
I ended up getting PDS later! For significantly more than $100. :(

SF3 tears me up. I hate we didn't get the whole trilogy here, and I hate having part of a collection. But it's one of the holy grail end of life Saturn games and I have most of that collection?

BTails

Does the back of the cart have a sticker, or is MADE IN MEXICO chiseled into the very plastic with whatever crude tools were available at the factory?

No, both the front and back labels are MADE IN JAPAN. That said, I also recently bought Star Trek Deep Space Nine for SNES (underrated Flashback-esque game) and it's my first Made in Mexico.

IrishNinja

SF3 tears me up. I hate we didn't get the whole trilogy here, and I hate having part of a collection. But it's one of the holy grail end of life Saturn games and I have most of that collection?

i hear ya man - it ever bothers you enough, lemme know! please believe, i'll put it next to jewel cases with fan translations of scenarios 2 & 3 on my shelf, zero fucks given

Only the THQ version was made in Mexico. The JVC version pictured there was made in Japan.

SKINNER!

Banned
Guy on ebay is selling an un-tested SNES game complete in box and he has started it on a high (for an untested game) bidding price.

On one hand there is a chance I could pick up the CIB game at a decent price if its untested status deters other folk from bidding but on the other hand I could end up wasting money on a game that may end up being a dud. hmmmmmmm, damn.

Asked the seller about the history of the item and he mentioned that it was purchased back when he was collecting SNES games with his brother but now his wife wants some space so he's been forced to sell it. Said the reason it's down as untested is because it (along with other NTSC games he owned) did not work with the NTSC to PAL universal adaptor that he has.

Oh well...see how it goes.

Peagles

I've asked a similar question in the Mega Drive thread, but what's your lot's thoughts on Super a Everdrive vs SD2SNES? Are the current features of SD2SNES good enough to justify the price or would I just be paying for the possibility of stuff like SuperFX support which may never happen?

I've had only Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition on the Genesis not boot up. Took it a part and hit it with an eraser, still nothing. On a side note I won a lot that had a copy of Monopoly " stated it was sealed unopened." There was a slit in the corner so I pulled it, opened it up, it was Monopoly I didn't care and inside was a Ms. Pac-Man cart. Ebays like a box of chocolates sometimes.

IrishNinja

I've asked a similar question in the Mega Drive thread, but what's your lot's thoughts on Super a Everdrive vs SD2SNES? Are the current features of SD2SNES good enough to justify the price or would I just be paying for the possibility of stuff like SuperFX support which may never happen?

having seen the breakdown...i can't justify the price. i can get a Super Everdrive board for like $67, that's like 1/3 of the price of the SD2SNES. i woudln't even bother soldering a DSP or whatever chip since i have most of the games that use it, and even though neither currently support FX chips, i can play Star Fox 2 on an emu if i ever really want to. we're still talking 95%+ of games supported by both, and the only other plus on the SD2 side is quicker loading, where i read the Super isn't that slow anyway. no disrespect to those owning the SD2 but the gap is too big vs the features, for me.

I think it's pretty rare to find a cart that just flat out doesn't work.

Yeah. I've only ever come across two. One Zelda on NES and one Uniracers for SNES. Zelda just wouldn't start. Uniracers would freeze after you pushed start, but the music would keep going.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I think it's pretty rare to find a cart that just flat out doesn't work.

I don't think I've ever experienced that. The closest I had was a Seiken Densetsu cart that, for some reason, didn't show the mode 7 effects properly. All other carts worked fine, so it wasn't the system.

-KRS-

having seen the breakdown...i can't justify the price. i can get a Super Everdrive board for like $67, that's like 1/3 of the price of the SD2SNES. i woudln't even bother soldering a DSP or whatever chip since i have most of the games that use it, and even though neither currently support FX chips, i can play Star Fox 2 on an emu if i ever really want to. we're still talking 95%+ of games supported by both, and the only other plus on the SD2 side is quicker loading, where i read the Super isn't that slow anyway. no disrespect to those owning the SD2 but the gap is too big vs the features, for me.

It really comes down to if you want support for enhancment chips or not. Satellaview and CX4 support, as well as the other chips, is nice to have. And it's nice that you don't have to sacrifice a DSP chip game to have DSP functionality. I wouldn't buy the SD2SNES with the hopes of getting Super FX support anytime soon though. It doesn't seem like it'll happen unless someone jumps on the project to help out with the coding and implementation. There hasn't been any updates regarding how it's going for a long time, and now he's working on other (admittedly very welcome) features instead it seems. I still have faith that it will happen at some point but I wouldn't buy the cart specifically for that right now. SA-1 support I've completely given up hope for though. I don't think that will ever happen unfortunately.

There are way more components on the SD2SNES PCB, so that's probably what drives up the price so much. But yeah feature wise they're pretty even, apart from the enhancement chip support and some other minor things. So again it simply comes down to if you think it's worth it for that. Right now he's working on action replay support and an in-game reset feature which is pretty cool, but those are features that can be implemented in the Everdrive firmware as well if they aren't already.

Mzo

I don't think I've ever experienced that. The closest I had was a Seiken Densetsu cart that, for some reason, didn't show the mode 7 effects properly. All other carts worked fine, so it wasn't the system.

Yeah. I've never come across a cart that just does not work, and I have seen a fair number of carts in my day let me tell you.

TheMoon

Best game of the forever ascends to the heavens. Amazing. A copy of Terranigma makes even a beautiful vista like this simply better.

IrishNinja

...wasn't that game pretty common there too? why would that one be a fake? fuck, that sucks peagles. hope you're reversing the charge as we speak.

Peagles

It was locally and we just have to do bank transfers (which is okay but kinda sucks if you run into trouble) but the seller was really good and had already refunded me the full amount. I need to take some photos though, it's a damn good fake, I can't even tell now in photos if the ones on eBay are fake or not....

D.Lo

I need like a 'general retro for all systems' thread...

Just picked up a Konami Hyperbeam wireless controller.

KonamiHyperbeamPad-sfc-jp.jpg

Can't wait to try it! Yeah RF, but supposed to be the best RF wireless controllers.
If it's no good I'll sell on for a profit.

I need like a 'general retro for all systems' thread...

Just picked up a Konami Hyperbeam wireless controller.

KonamiHyperbeamPad-sfc-jp.jpg

Can't wait to try it! Yeah RF, but supposed to be the best RF wireless controllers.
If it's no good I'll sell on for a profit.

RF should be fine. It's IR you don't want.

D.Lo

RF should be fine. It's IR you don't want.
Sorry mistyped, it's clearly IR.

Comes with a goddamn satellite dish however, and reviews online are good. And I'm a sucker for literally anything with the classic konami logo on it (I'm one game off a complete NES set). We'll see.

Sorry mistyped, it's clearly IR.

Comes with a goddamn satellite dish however, and reviews online are good. And I'm a sucker for literally anything with the classic konami logo on it (I'm one game off a complete NES set). We'll see.

Konami has some cool hardware. That Hyperstick (for PS1) from 1996 is amazing. Full Seimitsu parts too.

They had a progammable SNES controller if I remember correctly as well.

Timu

I need to get the SNES version of Sunset Riders, had fun with the arcade version. I'm not liking how it's getting more expensive recently(70 bucks minimum).

D.Lo

What is with all the fakes nowadays?

What is this, Neo Geo collecting?
Fakes? Examples?

Lots of repros of unreleased games. Kind of pisses me off the 'premium' repro companies making $200 off someone else's game using someone else's homebrew translation (Secret of Mana II), just because they burnt a rom and printed a box and label.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I need to get the SNES version of Sunset Riders, had fun with the arcade version. I'm not liking how it's getting more expensive recently(70 bucks minimum).
Jesus. I paid $40 and I was upset since I passed on it for $15-20 for YEARS. I'm glad I have it now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lots of repros of unreleased games. Kind of pisses me off the 'premium' repro companies making $200 off someone else's game using someone else's homebrew translation (Secret of Mana II), just because they burnt a rom and printed a box and label.

Who the hell is charging $200 for CIB repros?

IrishNinja

i wanna say i saw Mana 2 (CIB) go for that on ebay a while back? it's crazy, makes the reasonable $25 prices i paid on mine feel better too

robot

Rose Colored Gaming sells repro's for $200. Nice packaging but not a fan of them selling someone's else's work. Yoshi's Island + is currently up there for $249 lol.

Square2015

I'm having a BLAST with my Dragon Quest VI, V, Secret of Mana 2 and Romancing SaGA 3 repro carts on my NTSC SNES!
These games are great and look amazing, crisp and beautiful, I've got them in HD via that $50 SCART converter.

This is truly classic gaming! I dont think anything compares with SNES.

I've got Live-A-Live and Terranigma on the way.

And looking forward to getting:

Star Fox 2
Dragon Quest III Remix
Metal Max Returns
Burning Heroes
Bahamut Lagoon
Arabian Nights
Mega Man & Bass
Lennus II
Front Mission
Shin Megami Tensei
FFVI (retranslated)
Breath of Fire II (retranslated)

and then the Fire Emblem games as they become translated

The SNES just keeps delivering!!!
Only the best play here :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah Rose Coloured Gaming.

Oh, haha. You buy from Rose Colored Gaming because you want an fancy pants looking art piece that has a ROM in it. I thought you were talking about the standard stuff where somebody tries to make it look like a retail product.

Top Bottom