• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

Current list of games I'm looking for. I don't mind if they're loose carts for obvious reasons. Gonna hit up a lot of Goodwills and garage sales in the next few weeks.

Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Tetris Attack
Wild Guns
Demon's Crest
Castlevania Dracula X
Super Castlevania IV

Parallacs

Well at least there are enough non-yellow SNES's for everyone on here looking for one.

I see them all the time at swap meets out in the sun and some are yellow, some are not. It totally depends on the chemicals in the plastic at the time of manufacture.

I don't think anyone should settle for a yellow SNES because it is $10 cheaper. $40 isn't a lot to pay for the best game system ever.

I had DKC3. I'm positive someone stole it from me, but I'm not even sure how that happened. It really pisses me off too because I don't let anyone near my collection and I can't imagine family stealing it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well at least there are enough non-yellow SNES's for everyone on here looking for one.

I see them all the time at swap meets out in the sun and some are yellow, some are not. It totally depends on the chemicals in the plastic at the time of manufacture.

I don't think anyone should settle for a yellow SNES because it is $10 cheaper. $40 isn't a lot to pay for the best game system ever.

I have two minty grey SNES >:)

(part of the hoarder problem right here)

So, Bahamut Lagoon is fucking awesome. Bought a few repros so far, thought Secret of Mana 2 and Terranigma were okay, but loving the shit out of Bahamut Lagoon. It's a little on the easy side as long as you play it safe with keeping your dragons near and feed them well.

It's crazy seeing how many games there were that didn't come to the US, and how many there are that haven't had fan translations yet. Having "new" SNES games to play is pretty awesome, though.

BocoDragon

So, Bahamut Lagoon is fucking awesome. Bought a few repros so far, thought Secret of Mana 2 and Terranigma were okay, but loving the shit out of Bahamut Lagoon. It's a little on the easy side as long as you play it safe with keeping your dragons near and feed them well.

It's crazy seeing how many games there were that didn't come to the US, and how many there are that haven't had fan translations yet. Having "new" SNES games to play is pretty awesome, though.

I didn't play very far into it, but for the soundtrack alone, you need to try Front Mission: Gun Hazard. It's a duel effort between Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uemetsu... why, it's the missing link between the soundtrack to Chrono Trigger and FFVII!

Teknoman

I had DKC3. I'm positive someone stole it from me, but I'm not even sure how that happened. It really pisses me off too because I don't let anyone near my collection and I can't imagine family stealing it.

Maybe you traded/sold it without remembering? Happened to me with Neo Contra...and I still have no idea how.

Anyway, my current collection:

j3B0A9DuVYyy1.jpg

jh2z3DNpL8W3d.jpg

Teknoman

Go snag Treasures of the Rudra. Now that is definitely one that should have come over.

Btw how does Bahamut Lagoon play? Seems like a SRPG / standard turn based hybrid?

Great thread. I collect for many retro game systems, but SNES games always are the best thing to find when you look in a thrift store. I'm tired if finding nothing but ps2 sports games lately.

Ill post my very small collection when I get home from work. I don't have very many but they're all classics IMO. I'm not the type to buy a game just because I don't have it. If I won't play it I don't buy.

Go snag Treasures of the Rudra. Now that is definitely one that should have come over.

Btw how does Bahamut Lagoon play? Seems like a SRPG / standard turn based hybrid?

Treasures of the Rudra is high on my list of shit to get.

Bahamut Lagoon is kind of hard to explain really. It is a turned based strategy RPG. Each character on the screen actually represents a party of four. Each character type has their own specialty so deciding what you want in a party is key. Each party has a dragon that it gets stat boosts from. They have tons of stats that you level up by feeding it any item in the game. So you want the dragon assigned to your heavies to have a ton of attack power, 'cause it gives them that boost. You can't directly control the dragons, just tell them if you want them to stay close, run free, or do nothing. They go after their assigned party goes, and if they die, that party is fucked. I think they lose their stat boosts, not sure, cause I hit reset the moment one of them died. They lose their field abilities for sure. You can either use field abilities or run up to a bad guy and attack. If you attack, it switches to classic Final Fantasy battle view, it's a single turn, then back to the map. Field abilities are just instant, no switching to side view. There are pros and cons so you have to decide for yourself which you want to do and when.

If any of that made sense, that's kind of the game in a nutshell. It's fun. But, battles take a long time. I usually just do a couple in a sitting. There is no world map, just the battles with story parts in between.

I didn't play very far into it, but for the soundtrack alone, you need to try Front Mission: Gun Hazard. It's a duel effort between Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uemetsu... why, it's the missing link between the soundtrack to Chrono Trigger and FFVII!

Will have to check that out, just watched a youtube video, looks cool.

BocoDragon

Will have to check that out, just watched a youtube video, looks cool.

Yeah it seems top-shelf from an artistic point of view. I have the Japanese cart, but I think I'd rather play in English...

Apparently it's an alternate timeline to the entire rest of the Front Mission series, so feel free to try it out without playing the others first.

And remember what I said about the musical missing link between CT and FFVII... a lot of the sound samples are even CT and VII-like!

Teknoman

Great thread. I collect for many retro game systems, but SNES games always are the best thing to find when you look in a thrift store. I'm tired if finding nothing but ps2 sports games lately.

Ill post my very small collection when I get home from work. I don't have very many but they're all classics IMO. I'm not the type to buy a game just because I don't have it. If I won't play it I don't buy.

Thats the best way to go about it.

Adding Bahamut to my list.

EDIT: Also believe it or not, Family Feud is actually fun with the right amount of people. Got it bundled with Super R-type and F-Zero so I cant complain.

Also always liked the Final Fantasy Super Famicom boxes. On the other hand, its crazy how much better NA/EU Konami boxart was over JP versions. Especially for Castlevania.

BocoDragon

English repros are nice, but instead of hunting down the 15-20 awesome SuperFami games I want in English, I think I might get this:

Puea0AF.jpg

This is both a flash cart to load roms, and allows you to rip your own carts, much like a Retrode. This means you could import the SFC cart, rip it, and patch it with the English patch. But I think it can even apply the English patch to the SFC cart on the fly, no ripping required!

Also always liked the Final Fantasy Super Famicom boxes. On the other hand, its crazy how much better NA/EU Konami boxart was over JP versions. Especially for Castlevania.

And Turtles!

u4ErF7w.jpg
uXBUcPl.jpg

Contra as well, I think.

Teknoman

lol definitely TMNT. I dunno about Contra since Super C box art was about the same. Then again our Hard Corps box art was better.

Actually yeah, our Contra III was alot better than Contra Spirits art. Kinda like the Probotector stuff too.

BocoDragon

lol definitely TMNT. I dunno about Contra since Super C box art was about the same. Then again our Hard Corps box art was better.

Actually yeah, our Contra III was alot better than Contra Spirits art. Kinda like the Probotector stuff too.

I actually kind of want the Probotector games, as a North American, just to say I have em. The censorship element was tragic at the time, but in retrospect, what a fun legacy.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I got that a month or two ago on eBay for, like, half that. Not CIB though. Pretty sure I was lucky.

Still, it's potentially the best action game on the platform, soooo

Yeah man, sucks that it's even considered rare... everyone should play it.

Here's the standouts of my SNES games. Nothing super rare or anything. I think FF2 is the most expensive one.

S3ASSq2.jpg

It's a bit blurry so from the top: Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, F-Zero, Zelda, Axelay, Super Star Wars, DKC, DKC 2, Illusion of Gaia, FF2

The game in the center; Axelay, is an awesome shoot'em up for the SNES if you're into the genre.

MoxManiac

I'm curious of the ratio between yellowed and pristine consoles. Mine's still every bit the grey and purple it was when it was bought, but looking online it seems a non-oxidized console is somewhat of a rarity. It has to do with the fire retardants put into the ABS plastic, so did Nintendo change or skimp on the process earlier/later? Was it just always a crapshoot?

It happens with cartridges too. Several of mine either have the front or back yellowed, but never both. Wonder what they did differently to prevent the same thing happening to N64 carts. Well, aside from Majora's Mask :p

I have the 3 original model snes's. One is the one I grew up with, which is about half yellow. Another is completely yellow, and the other is pristine, not a hint of yellow anywhere. It's weird.

Any recommendations on where to get repros? I know of a couple, but I'm interested in where you got yours.

Here's the standouts of my SNES games. Nothing super rare or anything. I think FF2 is the most expensive one.

It's a bit blurry so from the top: Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, F-Zero, Zelda, Axelay, Super Star Wars, DKC, DKC 2, Illusion of Gaia, FF2

The game in the center; Axelay, is an awesome shoot'em up for the SNES if you're into the genre.

Very nice! I've always wanted to try Axelay ever since it first came out but never got around to it. Putting it near the top of my list to pick up in the near future.

Linkhero1

English repros are nice, but instead of hunting down the 15-20 awesome SuperFami games I want in English, I think I might get this:

Puea0AF.jpg

This is both a flash cart to load roms, and allows you to rip your own carts, much like a Retrode. This means you could import the SFC cart, rip it, and patch it with the English patch. But I think it can even apply the English patch to the SFC cart on the fly, no ripping required!
If I patch the cart itself is there any way to reset it back to Japanese if I need to in the future?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

Puea0AF.jpg

I think it can even apply the English patch to the SFC cart on the fly, no ripping required!
Mother of god. I would buy one of these for sure if it could do this. That would be basically perfect.

If I patch the cart itself is there any way to reset it back to Japanese if I need to in the future?

There is zero chance that it can write to the cart itself, absolutely zero. That would be a repro makers dream.

Any recommendations on where to get repros? I know of a couple, but I'm interested in where you got yours.

I'd rather not say. I think repro carts are a pretty grey area and wouldn't be shocked if a mod said not to discuss them. Just google it, there's plenty of info and recommendations out there. Just stay away from ebay, people are asking crazy stupid prices.

Reclaimer

(Loving this thread!)

Only a quick post for now...

Recently picked up a Hori Super Game Boy controller to add to my SNES controller collection. Pretty cool!

(Sorry for the shitty stock pic, not at home to shoot the real thing)

jBUp7Bn.png

(Loving this thread!)

Recently picked up a Hori Super Game Boy controller to add to my SNES controller collection. Pretty cool!

jBUp7Bn.png

That's so glorious. I want one of those.

Linkhero1

There is zero chance that it can write to the cart itself, absolutely zero. That would be a repro makers dream.
I kinda figured it was too good to be true.

(Loving this thread!)

jBUp7Bn.png

My Goodness. I need one of these.

Picked up a CIB Tetris Attack off eBay today. Working on the rest of my list now.

Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Tetris Attack
Wild Guns
Demon's Crest
Castlevania Dracula X
Super Castlevania IV

Thanks for the Super UFO info. The last flash cart i looked at on Retro USB years ago was about tripple the price. This one seems a little more reasonable.

The super nintendo collecting scene has gotten out of hand (its no NeoGeo.) Local shops have no Snes's, and when they do they're charging like 60 dollars for the console. But its the games thats burning a hole in my pocket. I will be doing more flea markets and thrift store this summer to fulfill my collecting needs. Any one have any luck at flea markets and thrift stores?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
(Loving this thread!)

jBUp7Bn.png

That's amazing!

Linkhero1

Thanks for the Super UFO info. The last flash cart i looked at on Retro USB years ago was about tripple the price. This one seems a little more reasonable.

The super nintendo collecting scene has gotten out of hand (its no NeoGeo.) Local shops have no Snes's, and when they do they're charging like 60 dollars for the console. But its the games thats burning a hole in my pocket. I will be doing more flea markets and thrift store this summer to fulfill my collecting needs. Any one have any luck at flea markets and thrift stores?

Flea Markets used to be good a few years ago but I haven't had any luck with them in the past two years. I got lucky buying some games off gaf and some off eBay. I haven't tried thrift stores but I might give them a shot.

Dave_6

How much does a Used SNES usually go for on average? I'd love to get one.

Depends on how good of shape the console is in (yellowed or not) and what all comes with it. I've seen them as cheap as $20 on Ebay for just the console and no games.

Flea Markets used to be good a few years ago but I haven't had any luck with them in the past two years. I got lucky buying some games off gaf and some off eBay. I haven't tried thrift stores but I might give them a shot.

I found a stack of pretty good Genesis games and Saturn games at resell shop's a few weeks ago, which was probably my biggest score at those type of places. We also have two antique malls in my area, which i found quite a few boxed Atari games. Never SNES games and never at a flea market. I watch the YouTube show The Game Chasers they seem to do well at Flea markets, so thats why i ask.

Linkhero1

All this flea market talk is reminding me how stupid I was as a child. My family used to go to the flea market every other Wednesday and sometimes my dad would buy us one SNES game. This one guy had probably 200+ games laid out and I had the choice of a life time. Instead of selecting from Mega Man X, X2, X3 or 7 the idiot in me chose Jurassic Park. If I could time travel, I would go back and slap the shit out of myself. The only one I haven't been able to buy in recent years when I began collecting again is Mega Man 7.

smbu2000

(Loving this thread!)

jBUp7Bn.png

Hah, I just picked up one of these myself last week! I went to this small shop that had stuff sitting on their shelves since the 90's! It was brand new in the box for 525 yen. The box was a little worn out, but it's been sitting there for +20 years, so that can't be helped.
I also picked up some new Sega Saturn games and a new Super Famicom RGB cable.

Scavenger

Super UFO pro 8 is alright as a cart ripper/save data ripper, but as a flashcart it is pretty bad. It cannot patch games by itself (You have to do it with a program like uCON) and some games need to be padded after applying a patch (e.g. Clocktower). Also the cart is made of low quality parts and it has a horrible interface. My Super UFO pro 8 has some weird issue that it didn't have when I first started using it. Every time I reset a game, the game gets corrupted and I have to rewrite the game to the DRAM. I don't recommend it.

Anth0ny

I'm an N64 kid (and I intend to collect N64 games someday), but I officially started my Super Nintendo (well, Famicom) collecting a few months ago:

BogYH.jpg

So far, it's the console and a Japanese Gameboy Player. But I'm gonna start picking up some classics soon.

GulAtiCa

Even though I have a SNES NTSC already, I think I'll have to buy the other versions for collection purposes someday. Well, the PAL version wouldn't be for collection but so I could play Terranigma.

Michan

This thread convinced me to buy a Super Famicom. I'm now the proud owner of a PAL, US, and JPN model!

Super Famicom w/ controller
+ Final Fight 2
+ Super Donkey Kong
+ Super Donkey Kong 2
+ Super Donkey Kong 3
+ Zelda: A Link to the Past
+ Super Black Bass
+ Some other fishing game
= 1,000¥ ($10.70)

I also stumbled upon something pretty amazingly which I can't wait to share with you guys. It's Super Famicom hardware + 5 awesome SNES games, but not what you might expect! Anybody care to take a guess?

Also, would somebody mind ordering a sealed copy of F-Zero and sending it to my Canadian address? The seller will only ship to US addresses. I can reimburse by PayPal. Thanks!

Super UFO pro 8 is alright as a cart ripper/save data ripper, but as a flashcart it is pretty bad. It cannot patch games by itself (You have to do it with a program like uCON) and some games need to be padded after applying a patch (i.e. Clocktower). Also the cart is made of low quality parts and it has a horrible interface. My Super UFO pro 8 has some weird issue that it didn't have when I first started using it. Every time I reset a game, the game gets corrupted and I have to rewrite the game to the DRAM. I don't recommend it.

Yeah, I just watched a youtube review of it and the guy was having a good amount of issues with it not loading certain games and some features not working.

Parallacs

All this flea market talk is reminding me how stupid I was as a child. My family used to go to the flea market every other Wednesday and sometimes my dad would buy us one SNES game. This one guy had probably 200+ games laid out and I had the choice of a life time. Instead of selecting from Mega Man X, X2, X3 or 7 the idiot in me chose Jurassic Park. If I could time travel, I would go back and slap the shit out of myself. The only one I haven't been able to buy in recent years when I began collecting again is Mega Man 7.

Well at least you didn't spend four months saving up $69.99 for Jurassic Park. I think that is still the most expensive game I have ever bought new.

At least Jurassic Park opened my eyes to how big a game could be. Also, the first person sequences were terrifying. It would be a pretty good game if you could save.

I had all the good SNES stuff back in the day including Earthbound, SC4 and all, sold everything for a mere pittance towards a new N64.

Top Bottom