• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

You can access the retroarch menu by pressing Select+Start, but I don't know if you can add cheats through there.

I've been able to use cheats on Gensis and NES games I've put on through retroarch, but if I'm using the normal emulator (canoe?) I assume I can't get into the retroarch menu

Does anyone have a clean Young Merlin and Super Adventure Island 2 US style covers? I cant find any.

Launchbox games database have some...
506d7d8c-bccf-480c-86a4-542c1b5f41c2.jpg

05ded2fb-6cf6-4c8e-8973-5255554ca329.jpg

Psxphile

Christ, did Master Higgins essentially become Wonder Boy finally after all those years holding out? Haven't played any Adventure Island games since 2 on the NES.

ReyVGM

Christ, did Master Higgins essentially become Wonder Boy finally after all those years holding out? Haven't played any Adventure Island games since 2 on the NES.

Adventure Island 4 and Super Adventure Island 2 did.

Although Wonder Boy (at least 2 and 3) have levels that are more simple and linear. Adventure Island 4 and Super 2 have more sprawling and complicated levels ala Metroid.

SOLDIER

You should be able to keep your current retroarch and uninstall the snes9x2010 core. I don't know if it's possible to keep both 2005/2010 cores installed at the same time without issues, I'm not that knowledgeable.

Anyway, uninstalling snes9x or retroarch is easy, just go to Modules/Uninstall extra modules and select it.

I uninstalled the snes9x core that came from OP's Retroarch link and applied km's 9x2005 core.

Seems Rudras works now without any sound issues, but Secret of Mana won't boot at all now. I just get a bunch of wavy lines.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Mana require a different core to run? If so, how do I determine which game runs on which core?

Matticers

This is probably a stupid question but if I wanted to use the Switch style art for games, is there a way to edit the box art for the original 21 games too? Or are they stuck with that box art? It would look silly if it's half box art, half switch style art that fills up the square.

Dimentios

This is probably a stupid question but if I wanted to use the Switch style art for games, is there a way to edit the box art for the original 21 games too? Or are they stuck with that box art? It would look silly if it's half box art, half switch style art that fills up the square.

I love the OP of this thread. ;)

Kyzer

Banned
Im playing Medabots AX and a few of my other old games through the GBA emulator and would like to use cheats for fun but don't really understand how they work

Im playing Medabots AX and a few of my other old games through the GBA emulator and would like to use cheats for fun but don't really understand how they work
once you install them you go into the retro arch menu and toggle them on and off.

They’re memory edits so they usually only have an off and on toggle

Kyzer

Banned
once you install them you go into the retro arch menu and toggle them on and off.

They’re memory edits so they usually only have an off and on toggle

ohhh I can just drag the same hmods floating around that people were using for NES Classic then right? thanks

Celcius

°Temp. member
Using the latest version of hackchi I tried to add 2 more games to my system and first the system started up with a black screen just playing the music but after probably 5 seconds then video came on the screen and most of my icons, box arts, and titles were messed up or corrupted... I reverted my system back to factory by uninstalling hackchi and putting the factory kernel back on and now everything works great again (plus thankfully my saves still were intact). I think I'm just going to leave my system factory...

leehom

Using the latest version of hackchi I tried to add 2 more games to my system and first the system started up with a black screen just playing the music but after probably 5 seconds then video came on the screen and most of my icons, box arts, and titles were messed up or corrupted... I reverted my system back to factory by uninstalling hackchi and putting the factory kernel back on and now everything works great again (plus thankfully my saves still were intact). I think I'm just going to leave my system factory...

I was just about to ask if it is safe to use this since there hasn't been an update to the program in five days. Guess I'll wait a little longer.

Cynn

That’s because you most likely updated the software on your PC but didn’t update the custom kernel on the console. Exact same thing happened to me then I remembered to update the kernel and like magic, all worked perfectly again. It’s a two step process.

I was just about to ask if it is safe to use this since there hasn't been an update to the program in five days. Guess I'll wait a little longer.
It’s perfectly safe.

DonMigs85

If I uncheck a game in Hackchi and resync, that should free up space on the SNES even if I don't fully delete the game in Hackchi right?

Psxphile

If I uncheck a game in Hackchi and resync, that should free up space on the SNES even if I don't fully delete the game in Hackchi right?

That's my understanding, yeah. Though I think save states and perhaps even SRAM files remain in case you flash the game back in.

aadiboy

So does Chrono Trigger just not work with a patch? I always get stuck in the opening scene when Crono's mom is trying to wake him up.

Robin64

So does Chrono Trigger just not work with a patch? I always get stuck in the opening scene when Crono's mom is trying to wake him up.

You're likely talking Crimson Echos, which was made for zsnes and has problems with everything else, including this.

Psxphile

CT is a little more unstable than most SNES games on Canoe. Even a clean rom can exhibit odd behavior going by this thread.

You're likely talking Crimson Echos, which was made for zsnes and has problems with everything else, including this.
Happens w/ Chrono Trigger Plus, too. Though in that case you're simply unable to leave the room.

aadiboy

No, it's this retranslation patch: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1258/

CT is a little more unstable than most SNES games on Canoe. Even a clean rom can exhibit odd behavior going by this thread.

Happens w/ Chrono Trigger Plus, too. Though in that case you're simply unable to leave the room.
Ah, I guess it's a no go then.

The default Genesis emulator (md) feels perfect. Never have I heard Thunder Force IV and Contra Hard Corps sound this good when emulated.
Picture quality is also great with scanlines and the SNES pad feels even better suited for Genesis games than the original Genesis controller. The positioning of Y/B/A is just more ergonomic than the straight ABC-line. Even better when remapped to Y/B/R instead.

On the first point, I'm about 5 hours in without issues, including not having the same issue where Robin did.

Chrono Trigger+ doesn't work because it's an extended ROM (largest than 32Mb or 4MB) and extended roms aren't supported by Canoe.

(edit) See it's the retranslation patch, it's also a 48Mb, 6MB patch and therefore incompatible. You can try in retroarch though. I might install retroarch just to give CT+ a try.

lucius

The default Genesis emulator (md) feels perfect. Never have I heard Thunder Force IV and Contra Hard Corps sound this good when emulated.
Picture quality is also great with scanlines and the SNES pad feels even better suited for Genesis games than the original Genesis controller. The positioning of Y/B/A is just more ergonomic than the straight ABC-line. Even better when remapped to Y/B/R instead.

Yeah it runs Genesis great , the original Genesis controller that dpad oh my, but that 6 button controller contoller Sega released later was so smooth with the EA games and Street of Rage games . This SNES pad does work great though so nice it came with two, it’s also much better than the Classic controller for Wii, almost perfect for emulation.

Robin64

My feelings are always swirling and I've changed my icons yet again to be the game's title screen, Virtual Console style.

256 x 224 was slightly too big for the boxes, so I shrunk them down in Photoshop to 233 x 204 which didn't lose too much quality (you can only tell if you look super close at the image above, for example) and then trimmed off 5 pixels from the sides, keeping the image centered.

Works out really well I think.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The big advantage with that method is that no matter the game, it's really easy to get a screenshot of the titlescreen vs making custom art for it.

PSFan

The only thing I miss in the SNES version of Chrono Trigger is the anime cutscenes that are in the later releases. I really like those and how they added to the story.

Dimentios

The max resolution for the icons is 228 x 228, so perfect squares. Everything above will be resized. Of course, with that resolution there would be no place for a border.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Someone on Reddit posted an alternative guide for changing just the boxart for the original 21 games without making complete copies of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...ial_changing_the_box_art_for_the_original_21/

This is really nice! I only have a few games of the original 21 that I need to be custom (FFVI, Contra III, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts) to use patches with them. The rest are pretty redundant, but I had to turn them into custom games to change the icons. This is a great way to save some space!

Yeah it runs Genesis great , the original Genesis controller that dpad oh my, but that 6 button controller contoller Sega released later was so smooth with the EA games and Street of Rage games . This SNES pad does work great though so nice it came with two, it’s also much better than the Classic controller for Wii, almost perfect for emulation.
I also prefer the SNES dpad but the Genesis dpad wasn't that bad. Different, but works well for Street Fighter and shoot'em ups.
The games that support six buttons still work perfectly on the SNES pad (having all 6 buttons as facebuttons is really only better for Street Fighter). Yes it's the perfect emulation-pad - SNES, NES, Genesis, NeoGeo, Arcade...fits every system.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That’s because you most likely updated the software on your PC but didn’t update the custom kernel on the console. Exact same thing happened to me then I remembered to update the kernel and like magic, all worked perfectly again. It’s a two step process.

It’s perfectly safe.

Ah, you're right, I didn't realize you had to do both :(

PSFan

It’s perfectly safe.

So you just select flash custom kernel from the menu like you did the first time? And it doesn't overwrite the games or anything that you already put on there?

Decided to add GBA games to my SNES Mini. This led me to making Switch-styled icons for the games I added so they'd match my SNES games. Don't really plan on making any more of them but I thought some people may find the ones I made useful. I also wanted to contribute to the thread in some small way.

Here's an album with all the ones I made: https://imgur.com/a/HS6Iv

Here's a preview of a few of them.

Here's how it looks in the proper UI.

SOLDIER

I could really use more details about getting Retroarch to work with games, especially since there’s apparently multiple cores to work with.

Again, when I tried using the 9x2005 SNES core, it was able to boot up Treasure of the Rudras properly (only issue seemed to be that the Rewind feature didn’t work), but Secret of Mana didn’t boot up at all. If Mana requires a different core version, how do I enable it so that the game launches with the right core?

Also what is needed to run GBA games?

sotojuan

I'm super late and the search isn't working - how were people able to get Goof Troop working?

Also does anyone have a link to a good cover image for Umihara Kawase?

Top Bottom