• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At first glance it does. But if you look at their comparison vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPEEHOq8aQ#t=42s you'll see SMK doesn't run as smooth as it's supposed to. On Wii U it's perfect 60fps while on the Classic it looks more like 45-48fps.
And that's how it also looks in the new vid. Definitely above 30fps but not perfectly smooth 60fps.

If this is real-world performance and not some capture issue I'm cancelling my pre-order. Not kidding. At $200* this shit needs to perform flawlessly.

* Yes, that's what it's priced at here in Sweden.

jacobeid

Banned
If this is real-world performance and not some capture issue I'm cancelling my pre-order. Not kidding.

Yeah I bought this for the emulation quality, so if it's not great then I won't kill myself looking for a US one. I'll keep my JP preorder though.

Edit: damn $200. That's what I would pay for a US model at MSRP+tax AND my Amazon JP order with transaction fees and shipping. I don't blame you.

You know what I'm actually very surprised that DF Retro didn't at least do the same sort of comparison video that Gamexplain is doing. We'd have a definitive answer there.

It's running fine here, also from GameXplain.

Yep, that's still a Mario Kart.
Honestly still can't tell maybe my eyes are dead.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You know what I'm actually very surprised that DF Retro didn't at least do the same sort of comparison video that Gamexplain is doing. We'd have a definitive answer there.

Has there been any word about when their review is?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I bought this for the emulation quality, so if it's not great then I won't kill myself looking for a US one. I'll keep my JP preorder though.

Edit: damn $200. That's what I would pay for a US model at MSRP+tax AND my Amazon JP order with transaction fees and shipping. I don't blame you.

That's including 25% VAT, so I guess the fair comparison against the US price would be $160. So it's really "only" twice as expensive here, yay!

You know what I'm actually very surprised that DF Retro didn't at least do the same sort of comparison video that Gamexplain is doing.

If DF do a comparisson then i imagine it will be after the unit has been released and of a much higher quality in both capture and analysis then gamexplain.

What you can soft reset from the controller ?!

Retro DigitalFoundry should definitely do an episode on Starfox 2.
It's such a rare occurrence that a high profile game that got cancelled find a way to be published by the original creator decades later and of course framerate analysis would be interesting especially compared to Starfox.

Yeah, I played Star Fox 2 and you can feel they wanted to make it even more ambitious than the 1 :
- Character selection with each one their ship
- You can choose an AI controlled buddy of your choice
- Graphics are better
- Frame rate is better too
- The gameplay feels more ambitious with you controlling the ships on the map and intercepting enemy missiles and cruisers. You can choose which planet to free too

But the few minutes I played it felt really empty and like a completely different type of game compared to Star Fox 1 and its linear sections.

ViciousDS

Banned
What you can soft reset from the controller ?!

Yeah, I played Star Fox 2 and you can feel they wanted to make it even more ambitious than the 1 :
- Character selection with each one their ship
- You can choose an AI controlled buddy of your choice
- Graphics are better
- Frame rate is better too
- The gameplay feels more ambitious with you controlling the ships on the map and intercepting enemy missiles and cruisers. You can choose which planet to free too

But the few minutes I played it felt really empty and like a completely different type of game compared to Star Fox 1 and its linear sections.

YUS

jacobeid

Banned
That's including 25% VAT, so I guess the fair comparison against the US price would be $160. So it's really "only" twice as expensive here, yay!

I mean, that's hardly any consolation ha. I won't pretend to know anything about the global economy and the reasons for price discrepencies, but that just sucks man.

Cronen

For any UK folks - I pre-order my SNES Mini through Smyths Toys. My console was posted yesterday, but my tracking info hasn’t yet been updated. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position?

I’ve noticed that they’re using Yodel too, which are awful.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For any UK folks - I pre-order my SNES Mini through Smyths Toys. My console was posted yesterday, but my tracking info hasn’t yet been updated. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position?

I’ve noticed that they’re using Yodel too, which are awful.

I bought Horizon from them earlier in the year. Tracking info never activated but it showed up on time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, that's hardly any consolation ha. I won't pretend to know anything about the global economy and the reasons for price discrepencies, but that just sucks man.

Typically we pay the USD price x 10 in SEK for consoles and games, or a little bit more, which more or less checks out when you account for VAT. This is an extreme case, and seems to simply be the evil Nordic Nintendo distributor Bergsala lining their pockets. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Indeed, that looks absolutely flawless. Thanks a lot!

@RoadHazard: So no need to cancel your preorder.

I still might though, just to not support the ridiculous price hiking going on here in the Nordic countries. I really want this thing, but the pricing here is just fucking insane. Rationally, it's not worth it.

So it seems Nintendo has fucked it up again.

Emulation in Yoshi’s Island is not faithful to the original hardware:

Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy SNES classic:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mWZ_rjgukcc&t=2m54s

Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy real SNES:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHWe6RWAv0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

Notice how parts of the background and foreground completely disappear for a fraction of a second whenever you touch a fuzzy. That didn’t happen on original hardware!

Goddammit Nintendo...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

https://youtu.be/mWZ_rjgukcc&t=2m54s

https://youtu.be/zEHWe6RWAv0&t=1m40s

Notice how parts of the background and foreground completely disappear for a fraction of a second whenever you touch a fuzzy. That didn’t happen on original hardware!

Goddammit Nintendo...

C’mon :(...

Robin64

That's a weird Yoshi's Island emulation quirk. It's meant to use Mode7 for an instant to pixelise and back very quickly, but it seems to fail on the background, just erasing it entirely instead.

4KJ7ZsN.gif

Cronen

I bought Horizon from them earlier in the year. Tracking info never activated but it showed up on time.

That’s annoying! I’m away from home until Friday, so I’m hoping that I can keep an eye on the tracking until I’m back home.

My condolences, hope it doesn't turn up smashed to pieces.

Ha, I’m more concerned about whether it’ll actually appear or not!

So a fraction of a second is dampening your excitement? The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

Discussing emulation inaccuracies was always going to be a thing. I understand the Contra 3 bomb effect being changed as an anti epilepsy measure but this is stuff that pc based emulators got right a long time ago.

I didn't see this in the thread yet, but do we know the output resolution? Is it locked to 720p like the NES mini?

Yep, its 720p.

Discussing emulation inaccuracies was always going to be a thing. I understand the Contra 3 bomb effect being changed as an anti epilepsy measure but this is stuff that pc based emulators got right a long time ago.

Yeah but there's discussing inaccuracies and the hyperbolic nonsense here- "NINTENDO FUCKED UP AGAIN". Come on...

So a fraction of a second is dampening your excitement? The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

A fraction of a second that happens repeatedly over the course of a short time span.

It’s like if your favourite artist came out with a Best Of album and in one of the tracks, instruments cut out for fractions of seconds here and there. How would you feel about that?

Yep the SNES classic is priced at ~ $190 - $250 depending on the retailer here in Swedenland. It's absolute bonkers, but hey they will still sell out most likely so they just laugh all the way to the bank.

Freddo

Got an e-mail saying it's been shipped! So I guess I probably have it tomorrow!

Perhaps a cpu limitation?
Yeah, I think so. To have a proper accurate SNES emulation, you need a relatively large amount of CPU performance. To make it work on weak hardware like this there are bound to be some quirks here and there in games that use special tricks.

Air Strike Patrol is pretty notorious for this, where a shadow drawn under your aircraft is very CPU intense to emulate so most emulators doesn't do it. So many people who only played the game on an emulator have no clue there is supposed to be a shadow there, which also make things easier as an aim for the bombs you're dropping.

Skronk

Banned
I'm so glad I don't care about perfect emulation or resolutions, seems like a lot of stress for those that do.

I didn't remember scan lines even existing until I saw that GAF topic where people post screen shots.

Canadian here

I bought the European version. What's this about the AC adapter? I thought this thing was powered through USB. Do I need a fucking european power thing that doesn't work here in North America?

I'm so glad I don't care about perfect emulation or resolutions, seems like a lot of stress for those that do.

I didn't remember scan lines even existing until I saw that GAF topic where people post screen shots.
Yep, it's one thing I'm glad to be willfully ignorant on.

ktroopa

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mWZ_rjgukcc&t=2m54s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHWe6RWAv0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

Goddammit Nintendo...

This is clearly the SNES mini activating it SUPA-FX chip for wavy background effects goodness, and yes it sticks out like a sore thumb. Ouch :(

Andyliini

Canadian here

I bought the European version. What's this about the AC adapter? I thought this thing was powered through USB. Do I need a fucking european power thing that doesn't work here in North America?

European release just doesn't come with USB-adapter. You do no need one, just plug the power cord into your TV's USB-port, and you're good to go.

jacobeid

Banned

I mean, Yoshi's Island is the single game that made me REALLY want this device because it's never been re-released in it's original form. Given how perfect the emulation on the NES is, I was hoping for the same on the SNES classic. Considering my myriad options to play this on my PC/retropie, it actually does damper my excitement that the emulation quality will not be any better than what I'm used to from other sources.

I am truly sorry that this hot take is so offensive to you lol.

Robin64

I'm on the side of "That's a damn shame" about Yoshi's Island. It will be annoying, because I love to get hit a lot during that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom