• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK releases sprites from the long cancelled Garou: Mark of the Wolves 2

Lucumo

Those last row of characters....their design feels uninspired :/

Pff, bugger off.

kain.gif

Tizoc

Pff, bugger off.

kain.gif

Oi look at my username :V
I didn't mean Kain, namely those unused ones, they are so uninspired and dull looking.
Had Garou 2 actually been made years ago I might've liked them but now, 15 years later, they may as well be designs for any of those current gen anime fighters.

Adcon

Neo Member
Why would you cancel such a wonder..

Because SNK as we knew it died in the year 2000. Parts of its IPs were handed off to other developers for a time, until SNK proper could drag itself back together into a somewhat profitable state.

That's why KOF 2000 & 2001 sucked, FYI.

Lucumo

Oi look at my username :V
I didn't mean Kain, namely those unused ones, they are so uninspired and dull looking.
Had Garou 2 actually been made years ago I might've liked them but now, 15 years later, they may as well be designs for any of those current gen anime fighters.
That's what made it even worse.
"Last row of characters" includes Kain (which is one of my favorites).
I'm fine with the muay thai girl, the suit guy and the pimp (which reminds me a bit of Donquixote Doflamingo). Would have to see the move-set of the other three but MotW 2 would (highly likely) have been great.

Because SNK as we knew it died in the year 2000. Parts of its IPs were handed off to other developers for a time, until SNK proper could drag itself back together into a somewhat profitable state.

That's why KOF 2000 & 2001 sucked, FYI.
KOF 2000 was by SNK.
KOF 2001 was by a portion of SNK that stuck together and later became part of Playmore ((Brezzasoft)

Evilisk

I'd be okay if some of these new character designs appeared in a new KoF.

It's a bit hard to see but the fifth guy on the last row seems to have a white X/crossbones shape on his headband (which makes me wonder if he was meant to be connected to Jenet)

AmyS

Crystalis was such a great game. It's a shame the sequel was cancelled and from what I've heard about the remake it's a shame that version even exists.

Yes exactly.

Also, even though I'm sure you know, for those that don't, the Magician Lord 2 I speak of has never been seen by the public, assuming it existed, I'm not talking about the proto for the Neo Geo Pocket.

IIRC both Magician Lord 2 and Crystalis 2 were in development for NeoCD in the mid 90s.

ZenTzen

That's why Terry shouldn't have been in Garou 2 either. He was pushing it in Garou 1 already, and rock made him pretty redundant. EDIT: Or actually, a more fitting end would be Rock killing terry in Garou 2, which could have been explained by Terry being so old.

Terry is literally 35 years old in MotW

Slighty OT, but how long does it take to make sprites like this? Is it one artist or is their multiple people working on them to get them to look and animate perfectly? Is it harder/easier than a 3d character model?

ahhh, this would have been a wonderful release. i wanted to see an older version of all the legends. it's a pity snk will forever abandon that concept.

Newboi

A Garou 2 with the art style of GG:Xrd would be my dream game (other than a direct sequel to 3rd: Strike)!

By the way, why doesn't anyone call this game fatal fury in the West? Wasn't Garou just the Japanese name for the Fatal Fury titles?

Loona

A Garou 2 with the art style of GG:Xrd would be my dream game (other than a direct sequel to 3rd: Strike)!

By the way, why doesn't anyone call this game fatal fury in the West? Wasn't Garou just the Japanese name for the Fatal Fury titles?

The original Japanese name for FF is Garou Densetsu, with the "densetsu" bit meaning "legend", which implies past events - dealing with events that happen later, it makes sense for a game that takes place later to drop that word as it becomes the "present day".

Maligna

Banned
Slighty OT, but how long does it take to make sprites like this? Is it one artist or is their multiple people working on them to get them to look and animate perfectly? Is it harder/easier than a 3d character model?

Probably the equivalent of many months of work for a single person for each sprite.

ZenTzen

ahhh, this would have been a wonderful release. i wanted to see an older version of all the legends. it's a pity snk will forever abandon that concept.

why wouldnt they, kof xiv director already stated his desire to continue the series, a good number of xiv developers are also originally FF guys, and this most recent interview where they released this concept, just makes it seem like it'll be a matter of time

Top Bottom