• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So all games on Scorpio will work on XB1? What about VR titles?

I'm confused about the messaging here. Phil Spencer claimed in the press conference that the games would work across all their platforms but then we're told that the extra power is also needed for VR.

Or does MS have another solution to get VR titles working on XB1?

KageMaru

If you listen to his comment he states all Xbox One games will work on any of the three consoles. He does not say Scorpio VR games will work on the Xbox one.

Edit:

All Xbox one games work across all the systems. I don't believe Scorpio games have to work on Xbox one or Xbox one s.

This.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
If you listen to his comment he states all Xbox One games will work on any of the three consoles. He does not say Scorpio VR games will work on the Xbox one.

This. They never said Scorpio games will work on XBO. We still need clarification - but usually when sentences are crafted in such a vague way, you can read between the lines.

So it was confirmed that Scorpio is a new platform in itself?
There will be Scorpio exclusive games that cannot run on XB1?

Pandy

it was stated that XBO games and peripherals will work on any of the three systems (XBO, XBO S, and Scorpio), not that the games and peripherals of the Scorpio would work on all three systems.

Fitts

From the moment Phil said "no compromises" I believed that Scorpio games wouldn't work on XB1 because that would imply a compromise.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It was never stated that all the Scorpio games will work on Xbox One. But clever marketing trick with nobody will be left behind.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"No one left behind" makes it sound like Scorpio games will work on Xbone, right? Minus VR, obviously

Makes it sound like it, but there's no real promise in it. It was actually explained as the fact that Xbox One games and accessories will work on Scorpio.

So Scorpio is not just a half step but an attempt to start the next gen early from what it sounds like. Seems like that could create some confusion.

There is no more generations for Xbox anymore and they clearly stated that their future strategy is beyond generations in conference and its iterative consoles is the future I think. I agree they are starting a big confusion about Xbox with three SKU's Xbox One, S and Scorpio. I dont understand why MS is obsessed with bundles (check the Amazon listing) and multiple SKU's. Look at Sony and how they are handing their bundles and SKU's which are limited like 1 or 2 bundles mostly without confusion to buyers.

Fisty

Makes it sound like it, but there's no real promise in it. It was actually explained as the fact that Xbox One games and accessories will work on Scorpio.

Hmm i suppose, but "no one left behind" wouldnt really apply to Xbone games on Scorpio, so unless they were practically lying...

Freeman

Banned
Will Xbox One even support VR? Will a console 6 times more powerful be held back by an unsuccessful older console?

KageMaru

So Scorpio is not just a half step but an attempt to start the next gen early from what it sounds like. Seems like that could create some confusion.

I can see them marketing Scorpio as their VR machine and only allowing VR games to be exclusive. Everything else should have to run on the original Xbox One. We'll just see additional benefits with those games on Scorpio with higher quality graphics and performance.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hmm i suppose, but "no one left behind" wouldnt really apply to Xbone games on Scorpio, so unless they were practically lying...

It's not a lie if it means that everybody moves forward to Scorpio, so no one is left behind on Xbox One. :D

I could see Microsoft teaming up with Oculus and making Oculus Home connected to Windows games. Honestly that would benefit my situation so maybe I'm just hopeful. I have a Rift and powerful computer and would love Microsoft's gaming sector to back content on the Rift. If they do their own thing it's just another fucking headset and console to buy.

But more attuned to your question. No way the One will have VR. Microsoft joined too late in the game, plus the console just doesn't have the power.

KageMaru

Oh dear... I forgot about this bit. Me thinks that the Phil spin machine is ramping up again.

They just need to be clear that only the Scorpio will support VR and they kind of stated that already. I think the no one gets left behind bit was referring to normal games.

Falchion

Ooohhh I thought the implication was all Xbox games will work on both but it sounds like there can be Scorpio exclusives. Hmm, wonder how long before there are non-VR, Scorpio exclusives.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I certainly hope Scorpio games won't work on Xbox One, I'd much rather have them be singular focused ground up games to fully take advantage of the extra power.

seady

Edit:

This.

lol that's shady.
Of course Xbox One games will work on Xbox One. Who needs clarification on that? What people concerned with is whether their existing system will get phased out very soon with the new console coming out.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
VR games won't run on the Xbone so you're wrong.

Yes i am. I totally overlooked VR games on Scorpio. But as far as non-VR games go, devs can allocate resources as they want, either be outputting at 4k res or adding more bling bling @other resolutions.

Freeman

Banned
SuperÑ;206852104 said:
It's not. It's part of the Xbox One family as there won't be any Scorpio exclusive games.
Until when? If there are no generations like they say, they don't have to commit that all Xbox Scorpio games will always work on the original Xbox One. They need to state that very clearly for me to believe it.

For all we know the Xbox Scorpio could be named the Xbox Two.

Zanlee

I guess since they are basically PCs, some games could run on low settings on Xbox one and high setting on Scorpio. It will probably be 720p for xbox one and between 1080p and 4K on Scorpio.

The only things that exited me were South Park and the fact that they didn't cancel Recore or Scalebound. I'm not a fan of shooter games with over muscular douche character and zombies so ...

When they say VR, are they doing their own headset or will it be like the Vive etc.

I'm betting a partnership with Oculus or something.

Just a guess, no idea really.
Wow if Scorpio games won't work on Xbox One, way to piss an entire community lool

I imagine they want a completely new generation.

They want a reboot, so they can do Xbox 360 again, with the year head start. And that was wildly successful for them to be fair.

Given that both Xbone and Scorpio probably run on WIndows 10, the games should be the same, just with different graphics settings.

lol that's shady.
Of course Xbox One games will work on Xbox One. Who needs clarification on that? What people concerned with is whether their existing system will get phased out very soon with the new console coming out.

In the bold. Does this mean an early phasing out of XB1?

Pretty sure new games coming out will support both Xbox One and Scorpio. I would expect VR to be Scorpio only. The gap in the quality of experience is going to be really high between the two with VR. Why even bother supporting both with that in mind? For something that is pretty niche anyway. Especially when the Scorpio will most likely support Oculus and Vive instead of their own hardware.

I feel that's going to be a huge problem with PS4 and Neo also. PS4 owners preordering PSVR right now, with no plans to purchase a Neo or don't even know about it yet, are not going to be happy when they see the difference that's going to cost them potentially $500 more on top of the PSVR purchase to achieve. I wouldn't even support it if I was Sony, but guess you can't ignore that PS4 userbase?

Top Bottom