• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So all games on Scorpio will work on XB1? What about VR titles?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Guys, it's simple: it’s the xbox two with retro-compatibility.
It's the next generation.

JoshHood

Geoff just asked Shannon Loftis on the YT stream whether all Scorpio games would work on existing Xbox Ones and she basically said "I wouldn't say that", and that it is largely up to developers. She said to ask again next year.

Pretty sure new games coming out will support both Xbox One and Scorpio. I would expect VR to be Scorpio only. The gap in the quality of experience is going to be really high between the two with VR. Why even bother supporting both with that in mind? For something that is pretty niche anyway. Especially when the Scorpio will most likely support Oculus and Vive instead of their own hardware.

I feel that's going to be a huge problem with PS4 and Neo also. PS4 owners preordering PSVR right now, with no plans to purchase a Neo or don't even know about it yet, are not going to be happy when they see the difference that's going to cost them potentially $500 more on top of the PSVR purchase to achieve. I wouldn't even support it if I was Sony, but guess you can't ignore that PS4 userbase?

The userbase on PS4 is what makes me think they (Sony) will do their best not to leave those people out. If anything, devs/pubs will focus on the consoles with the larger pool of players. This is all getting pretty muddy though. Does the lower userbase on XB1 afford MS more slack for iteration?

gamerMan

Geoff just asked Shannon Loftis on the YT stream whether all Scorpio games would work on existing Xbox Ones and she basically said "I wouldn't say that", and that it is largely up to developers. She said to ask again next year.

You are right, like a greater marketer he was purposefully confusing. But that wouldn't make sense. If all Xbox Scorpio games worked on Xbox One, the 6 teraflops would make not difference as you would always have to target the Xbox One specs when developing a game. It's like how cross generational games are developed right now. They don't really take advantage of the current hardware at the outset.

Okay well there it is then. Scorpio is the next generation Xbox.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You are right, like a greater marketer he was purposefully confusing. But that wouldn't make sense. If all Xbox Scorpio games worked on Xbox One, the 6 teraflops would make not difference as you would always have to target the Xbox One specs when developing a game. It's like how cross generational games are developed right now. They don't really take advantage of the current hardware at the outset.

That's not confusing at all. It means that they don't impose this condition on developers, like Sony supposedly does, so it's up to the developers to support Xbox One or not.

That's not confusing at all. It means that they don't impose this condition on developers, like Sony supposedly does, so it's up to the developers to support Xbox One or not.

Hmm. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
MS must be pretty confident that they can deliver the power with a price provocative enough to get the number of players that would warrant Scorpio exclusives.

Did Phil Spencer lie when he said this?

"so that doesn't mean that we are leaving those on xbox one behind, every single thing we've done on xbox one will continue to work"

"we add to the capabilities of the xbox one and the xbox one family without forcing gamers to abandon all the games and the community they love so much"

"these two systems are a part of the same family, games will work on both, accessories will work on both"

"xbox one, xbox one s and xbox scorpio will all be compatible. all xbox one games and accessories will play on all three, no one gets left behind"

GHG

With all of this bullshittery I think I will save myself the headache and stick to the PC when it comes to playing their games.

These guys can never get their stories straight.

No, but VR support will only be available for the Scorpio.

"these two systems are a part of the same family, games will work on both, accessories will work on both"

"xbox one, xbox one s and xbox scorpio will all be compatible. all xbox one games and accessories will play on all three, no one gets left behind"

Bsigg12

I get that but in no world is the Xbox One capable of powering a Rift or Vive. Everything else will absolutely fall in those, VR stuff will not simply because the Xbox One cannot handle it.

c0de

VR games won't run on the Xbone so you're wrong.

But you need an accessory for that. Are you able to play vr games without psvr on vanilla ps4? Are you able to play any game relying on an accessory without having the accessory?
Of course not.

Ostinatto

So if some 3rd party publisher wants to release something on X1, they will have to make an X1 S version, an Scorpio version and a Windows 10 version too?

Thats sound like imposible xD .

What it sounds like to me is that the core XB1 will still be the main focus and Scorpio will live as the one step up option. All the games will be made for XB1, they'll just look and run better on Scorpio. The platform is exactly the same.

Odrion

Banned
It looks like Microsoft is trying to pull that thing they did with the OG XBox 360 and prematurely end the generation because they're not winning it.

CCIE

Banned
That is exactly what they are doing. Trying to end the generation early because they are losing badly. Problem is, they had actually sold me the S earlier in the conference until the Scorpio was talked about. No chance I'm spending $300 plus on an S with the newer box coming out sometime next year.

Especially with Neo confirmed as well. They just torpedoed the XB1 with this announcement. Hope it was worth it for them. Problem for them is that Sony has game after game after game coming out, and more than double the marketshare. I'm not sure how Scorpio will be received by third parties with the PS4 still doing gangbusters numbers.

takoyaki

how VR will work on the Scorpio is still the big ? for me.

Yesterday, Todd Howard made a point of announcing Fallout 4 VR exclusively for the Vive during the Bethesda conference. Makes sense, there's still the ongoing ZeniMax - Oculus/FB lawsuit.

The Oculus Rift comes bundled with a Xbox ONE controller and most people assumed a MS - Oculus partnership for the Scorpio, but nothing was mentioned today. There was the VR portion of the Minecraft demo though, played by John Carmack from Oculus.

Today, Todd Howard talked about Fallout VR on Scorpio during the Scoprio unveiling. Could MS be working on their own VR headset and would they really do that if an Oculus partnership is an option?

guess this will be unclear for a while...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did Phil Spencer lie when he said this?

Notice a differences between:

and

"all xbox one games and accessories will play on all three"

It's subtle but still there.

Atomski

This is one thing I think needs to happen and is why I think the Neo restrictions make it pretty pointless. If all you can do with the extra power is increase texture and frame rate that seems like a real waste to me. There's just so much more you could do to make the game better with that power.

I don't think developers will be stupid enough to not release a standard gen 1 version but at the same time they should be free to make the Scorpio version better however they want.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In the end, what's the point of having 6 Tflops if the games are designed around 5 times less power? If you have the most powerful console on the market you want also the best looking and best running games out there.

FyreWulff

In the end, what's the point of having 6 Tflops if the games are designed around 5 times less power? If you have the most powerful console on the market you want also the best looking and best running games out there.

Both Sony and MS are hedging their bets and trying to have forward compat along with back compat.

If your next jump doesn't do well.. well, you still have your existing base.

If it does well.. transition everyone off the previous one.

They really are only talking about backwards compatibility for the Scorpio though. They specifially mention Xbox One games. And I think their wording is really confusing regarding the Scorpio being a new console or just un update. Looking at the specs and the fact that it is going to launch 4 year into a lackluster console life cycle, I am expecting this to esentially be the next MS console.

Guys, it's simple: it’s the xbox two with retro-compatibility.
It's the next generation.

Basically this.

I am guessing there will be some games early on that will run on the Xbone as well, but not for long.

RyudBoy

That is exactly what they are doing. Trying to end the generation early because they are losing badly. Problem is, they had actually sold me the S earlier in the conference until the Scorpio was talked about. No chance I'm spending $300 plus on an S with the newer box coming out sometime next year.

Especially with Neo confirmed as well. They just torpedoed the XB1 with this announcement. Hope it was worth it for them. Problem for them is that Sony has game after game after game coming out, and more than double the marketshare. I'm not sure how Scorpio will be received by third parties with the PS4 still doing gangbusters numbers.

Sounds like a load of crap.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I am guessing there will be some games early on that will run on the Xbone as well, but not for long.

It's UWP, technically most of the games could still run at 730p30fps on low settings or something like that, but support for optimisation of Xbox One games will go out the window once Scorpio is launched.

FyreWulff

In theory now, Xbox developers have no reason to NOT target PC in their builds, because now you hit 3 platforms. One may benefit from devs doing this accomodating lower spec PC hardware.

Late thread is late

ZK7QyVZ.png

So, VR games aside, you'll see very few Scorpio exclusives in the next 3/4 years.

I have this dilemma as well. I have a gaming PC and PS4 and really am tempted to buy the XB1S because of its beauty but the fact that it will be obsolete in a year really turns me off.

I'm happy for backwards compatibility - ie all my 360 and Xbone games working on Scorpio.

However, I would much rather have exclusive Scorpio games that take full advantage of the new hardware rather than have to be programmed to run on an Xbone.

Late thread is late

ZK7QyVZ.png

So, VR games aside, you'll see very few Scorpio exclusives in the next 3/4 years.

So mostly 720p-900p with some 1080p content that is upscaled to 4K.
I wonder if they will patch games to take advantage of the extra power, making them render in native 4K.

Thread isn't late. I made it yesterday. "You'll see very few Scorpio exclusives" is the exact opposite of what this tweet says. How are you getting your info?

Anteater

if there's a resolution/framerate requirement it sound likely that all games including VR games will run on xb1 but (some) won't be able to run in "VR mode".

Like for example if they add VR to something like quantum break, you can probably use VR with scorpio, while the game can still be played on xb1, that's how I see it.

"What's the point of buying a high-end PC video card if games are designed around consoles?"

I think one think to potentially keep in mind is that the notion of a "console launch" in the traditional sense probably won't be as important for them anymore. While they'll obviously want some new games out with perks for people who have a Scorpio, I don't think they're going to have a "new exclusive launch lineup" in the traditional sense with a lineup of 20-30 Scorpio exclusive games. It'll just be a bunch of "better on Scorpio" games or whatever. (well, VR is the obvious exception, though those obviously won't work on an Xbox One anyway)

By the time Scorpio exclusive games do come out, it'll be because developers and their technical ambitions have naturally left the older console behind (which probably would be at minimum in Holiday 2018 or so, 5+ years after the Xbox One launch, which is hardly some horrible case of abandonment)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Or does MS have another solution to get VR titles working on XB1?

Of course VR will be exclusive to Scorpio, how would they get it running on 1.3 TF?
But I have a feeling you knew the answer already from the other thread you were in.

"What's the point of buying a high-end PC video card if games are designed around consoles?"

Well most games that release on PC do take into consideration that platform by offering settings. Will just an upscale or patch to old games (with all that power) be worth it? I mean they kind of need to make Scorpio/PC exclusive games in order to really show it off.

Well most games that release on PC do take into consideration that platform by offering settings. Will just an upscale or patch to old games (with all that power) be worth it? I mean they kind of need to make Scorpio/PC exclusive games in order to really show it off.

That's what I imagine the Scorpio to be. The game would run on "ultra settings" instead of "medium" on the Xbox One or whatever. They probably won't do the full on settings menu like PC games, just to maintain the whole console plug and play mentality, but they can tweak to match the platform as needed. As numerous people have pointed out constantly, developers already know how to do this. RDR 2/GTA 6 on the Scorpio (and maybe Neo) will have the ultra detail grass that gamers have been demanding from Rockstar for years now, lol.

Older Xbox One games I imagine would stay the same, unless a developer feels like patching it. Assuming they're smart about it, this should all be mostly invisible to the end user.

Roshin

So Scorpio is not just a half step but an attempt to start the next gen early from what it sounds like. Seems like that could create some confusion.

Yes, some people (on other forums) are already getting the Scorpio and the S-Model mixed up. Announcing two new boxes at the same conference, but only showing one of them, was bound to create some confusion, I guess.

c0de

Do u think vr is coming to xbox one?

I don't think so. ms doesn't have an own solution so they have to rely on rift or Oculus. Which are built for computers way more powerful than the bone.
Look at how many current gen games are locked 60fps stable... You need a decent amount of power for vr and the bone doesn't have it.

rokkerkory

I don't think so. ms doesn't have an own solution so they have to rely on rift or Oculus. Which are built for computers way more powerful than the bone.
Look at how many current gen games are locked 60fps stable... You need a decent amount of power for vr and the bone doesn't have it.

Yeah it was a rhetorical question. Since xbox one / s isnt getting VR, then answer to OP is obvious

Top Bottom