• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...anyone play warcraft III online?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I have like.. twice. I know people that play it quite a lot still, but I prefer the single player stuff.

marsomega

I really like playing Warcraft III but I'm jaded because of Starcraft. Thus I only play with people I know. (Rampant cheating....) If anyone wants to start some coop let me know. I've never played Warcraft III online with anyone so I figured a lil coop would help get my feet wet.

Such as 2 vs 2 etc..

marsomega said:
I really like playing Warcraft III but I'm jaded because of Starcraft. Thus I only play with people I know. (Rampant cheating....) If anyone wants to start some coop let me know. I've never played Warcraft III online with anyone so I figured a lil coop would help get my feet wet.

Such as 2 vs 2 etc..

let me explain something to you about gaf.

its all about kohan and they HATE WC3 Roc. So much that most of them dont even know what TFT is.

but I, Kefkaff, omfgninjas, Grifter, and a few others play TFT (tho I am unsure whether omfgninjas and grifter still play cause of WoW....but hell alot of people who played TFT stopped playing cause of WoW including myself) but I do occasionally and I think kef does as well.

but yea, this thread won't be that successful.

marsomega

Fixed2BeBroken said:
let me explain something to you about gaf.

its all about kohan and they HATE WC3 Roc. So much that most of them dont even know what TFT is.

but I, Kefkaff, omfgninjas, Grifter, and a few others play TFT (tho I am unsure whether omfgninjas and grifter still play cause of WoW....but hell alot of people who played TFT stopped playing cause of WoW including myself) but I do occasionally and I think kef does as well.

but yea, this thread won't be that successful.

:-(

I really wish Blizzard would update RoC/TFT to have higher unit counts. I definately think the hardware today is capable of it. Starcraft was never a problem, the 200 limit was just enough for my strategies and the units I needed.

Not the case with TFT and especially RoC. I always felt things were limited by the unit limit. I really don't think cheap rush tactics are a problem in Warcraft III... anywho... sucks :-(

marsomega said:

I really wish Blizzard would update RoC/TFT to have higher unit counts. I definately think the hardware today is capable of it. Starcraft was never a problem, the 200 limit was just enough for my strategies and the units I needed.

Not the case with TFT and especially RoC. I always felt things were limited by the unit limit. I really don't think cheap rush tactics are a problem in Warcraft III... anywho... sucks :-(

no way. because unlike starcraft Roc/TFT is all about MICRO management.

higher unit counts would make it micro managing hell (which it already is to an extent, but with a higher unit count it would be ridiculous) and a tottally different game.

AeroGod

I dont play regular WC3 maps anymore but I play custom mod games like Tides of Blood and DOTA Allstars like once or twice a week. Most of time in spent on WoW or Battlefield 2 though.

marsomega said:

LOL!

This is an idea some people just never get over. Everyone thinks WC3 is Starcraft 2 with heroes and try to play it like that. It's not SC2. It's not about huge armies and rushes, it's about small armies and strategy and getting the most out of the map you're on. It's about as far away from SC2 as possible, and a lot of people recognize that and love it. The unit limit wasn't there because of technological reasons, it was there for strategic/balance reasons.

marsomega

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
LOL!

This is an idea some people just never get over. Everyone thinks WC3 is Starcraft 2 with heroes and try to play it like that. It's not SC2. It's not about huge armies and rushes, it's about small armies and strategy and getting the most out of the map you're on. It's about as far away from SC2 as possible, and a lot of people recognize that and love it. The unit limit wasn't there because of technological reasons, it was there for strategic/balance reasons.

Who said anything about huge armies and rushes. RoC/TFT unit count is very limiting as far as base defense and offense. I never claimed RoC/TFT to be Starcraft 2 and I recognize they are different games. However, in RoC/TFT the only thing you have from saving your base from being obliterated is the teleport scroll other wise your base is completely open when you engage someone else. Don't even come to me with those defense structures, they are good at helping you defend but they are pretty much worthless at holding anyone back. The 100 unit limit helped a bit the problem is still there. Least with the 100 cap now I can have one hero at the base with 3 or 4 units to try to hold someone back as I try to engage someone else.

Seriously I would really like the unit cap raised. 120 or 130 would be fine.

marsomega said:
Least with the 100 cap now I can have one hero at the base with 3 or 4 units to try to hold someone back as I try to engage someone else.
LOL WHAT? You're the only person on the planet that does that. You have no idea what you're doing. Go here: http://www.wcreplays.com. You have a lot to learn about this game. :)

To clarify: I'm not trying to be mean and condescending with the LOLs, you just seriously are making me laugh out loud.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
LOL WHAT? You're the only person on the planet that does that. You have no idea what you're doing. Go here: http://www.wcreplays.com. You have a lot to learn about this game. :)

To clarify: I'm not trying to be mean and condescending with the LOLs, you just seriously are making me laugh out loud.

he's nub

Slo

I really wish I could work up the nerve to play RTS games online. I just am not very good at RTS games in general, and I like to be able to restart from a save whenever it becomes apparent that I'm losing. Obviously you can't do that in multiplayer. The idea of my forces falling behind the curve, and having to watch my resources dry up without being able to replensish them sickens me. The slow, helpless, inevitable destruction of my defenses and my main base makes my stomach knot up even as I'm typing this. :lol

Yeah, so I suck. I've bitched out of more than a couple games of Kohan with the guys here at GAF.

marsomega

Slo said:
I really wish I could work up the nerve to play RTS games online. I just am not very good at RTS games in general, and I like to be able to restart from a save whenever it becomes apparent that I'm losing. Obviously you can't do that in multiplayer. The idea of my forces falling behind the curve, and having to watch my resources dry up without being able to replensish them sickens me. The slow, helpless, inevitable destruction of my defenses and my main base makes my stomach knot up even as I'm typing this. :lol

Yeah, so I suck. I've bitched out of more than a couple games of Kohan with the guys here at GAF.

Sounds like me when I'm losing in StarCraft.

I think what keeps casuals like slo and I from playing WC3 online is that every time we log on we face every internet cafe in korea.

That or bored college students. Like anything its requires practice, and WC3 isnt on my list o things to practice. Nothing against the game, but Kohan allowed me to play less often and still remain competitive.

Yea, Bnet is kinda boring. I only play against people I know, and it always becomes a mountain king/blademaster faceoff with 100 food of riflemen/gryphs vs orcs/wyverns.

MrAngryFace said:
I think what keeps casuals like slo and I from playing WC3 online is that every time we log on we face every internet cafe in korea.

That or bored college students. Like anything its requires practice, and WC3 isnt on my list o things to practice. Nothing against the game, but Kohan allowed me to play less often and still remain competitive.

thats funny, for me it was the opposite. It wasnt that I was playing against those types of people, but rather, Id get randomly teamed with either 1. (Quitter) 2. (lagger who either gets booted or just lags so bad he sucks) 3. (people who seriously suck at the game) or 4. (people who kill thier teammates for fun or out of frustration.

So, Bnet sometimes really pisses me off...BUT, when I AT with my friends its good times.

Son of Godzilla said:
and it always becomes a mountain king/blademaster faceoff

Panda > All

MrAngryFace said:
Yeah it's wildly competitive and has a huge learning curve. I don't recommend playing online for anyone that isn't willing to at least play every other day. Playing with friends and dueling heroes is better suited for them.

sleeveboy

Hi!

I play just about every day on Lordaeron (proto_manch). I'm going to start up an Azeroth account, too. I'm not gosu or anything but I'm getting better. I've played some arranged team with omfgninjas and I'm always down for some AT games with other willing players.

To those of you who like this game but are scared of Bnet: don't be! If you want a pressure-free matchup, play some 4v4 Random Team matches. Sometimes you get teamed up with griefers and/or complete morons but most of the time it's a blast.

sleeveboy

Cool.

marsomega, post your b.net name and give me an IM name if you've got one. I'll keep an eye out for you. Same to you blackadde (already know your b.net name, obviously).

You can find me on AIM as sleeveboy76, or on Xfire as themanchdynasty.

marsomega

Well, just had my first WC3 online experience. I lost a good 24 in a row. :-(

I'm going back to my own home made scenarios and stuff.
tear.gif

sleeveboy

Yeah, man. Like omfgninjas said, the learning curve in WC3 is huge.

What race do you play, marsomega? Are you watching replays?

sasimirobot

I just started playing again after taking almost 2 years off! The last time I played was like patch 1.06 or something...

I rarely win, and I dont use all the mass/cheese strats I see everyone else use. I like to have fun and be creative even if I lose, its still fun to play!

The Cyber Games Championships are going on in Thailand a the moment so interest in the game picked up in SE asia after almost being completely dead.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I play custom maps like DOTA , Diablo pvp RPG, TOB etc etc all the time names Donnyblaze usually on azeroth if you wanna play endless fun.

sasimirobot

anyone know of a good alternate server for games? The one I use now (thaicybergames : 203.146.140.46) kicks me out of every other game

Top Bottom