• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Breath of the Wild is probably going to be a template for next decade of 3D Zeldas

Weird thing for me about BotW is how much fun a hookshot would be (maybe as an item you have to beat the toughest dungeon to get, whatever). I get the decision not to include it but the reasoning seems to be basically "it'd be too awesome."

The hookshot isn't in BoTW?! Thanks for the massive spoilers guys, guess I'll be trading in my copy for Bomberman now.

/s

Megatron

I hope not. BotW is fine for what it is and I appreciate Nintendo trying something different, but I want a bit more structure to my Zelda games. As impressive as the open world is, it's still just padding between point A and point B. I want those points to have more substance when I get there.

Eh, the definition of padding between points a and b was in all the recent Zeldas, where they made you do all kinds of things before the next thing you wanted to do. It's still in breath of the wild to some degree, like you can't just go straight into a Devine beast, for instance, but it's better than it was.

Weird thing for me about BotW is how much fun a hookshot would be (maybe as an item you have to beat the toughest dungeon to get, whatever). I get the decision not to include it but the reasoning seems to be basically "it'd be too awesome."

Yeah, make it a post game item, but I agree, give me that hook shot!

Majukun

people said the same about wind waker graphics back in the day..how they couldn't see another zelda without that kind of cell shading and art style.

Middle ground to a proper hook shot could be rope arrows.

Dungeons are the big thing they can improve on. Amount, quality, and in keeping in spirit with the rest of the game. They get too linear and restrictive with dungeons in BOTW. Nintendo could learn a lot from immersive sims/Deus Ex in that area.

Megatron

people said the same about wind waker graphics back in the day..how they couldn't see another zelda without that kind of cell shading and art style.

And we got several games using that art style. But this is more than just an art style. Wind walker was still a rescinded ocarina for the most part.

PSFan

As someone who basically spent the majority of the game just running around, exploring, climbing, and not fighting stuff to the point that I basically avoided all conflict in the final Hyrule Castle area, I'm not sure I understand that sentiment. :/

I just meant that with the deteriorating equipment and enemies like everywhere, it just felt like it is catering to those that go for heavy combat in games.

I discovered just how annoying the deterioration could be when I was trying to climb a tower that had two stationary guardians around it. I went through almost my entire shield inventory trying to kill them by parrying. Even a Knight's shield was gone after one laser shot.

Believe me, I try to avoid combat wherever possible as well. I haven't even killed any of those Stone boss statues yet. I saw the one on the plateau, but got scared lol. I just got to Zora's domain and am now heading to gather shock arrows. Hope I can get em without fighting the Lynel.

Anth0ny

hah, the next decade of 3D Zelda will just be one game unless they pull a Majora's Mask and reuse the assets. Which they absolutely should.

there are a lot of ways they could improve on the BOTW template.

The next title should definitely build on the currently established formula and assets. Biggest thing I want to see is a larger variety of enemy types, that's probably the weakest aspect of the game to me. Darknuts, ReDeads, proper Stalfos, Like Likes, Goriyas, Tektites, etc. Take the existing bestiary and inject some more variety.

FZZ

Banned
For setting I want a BoTW themed game in New Hyrule

Sequel to Spirit Tracks, or set in the same universe at least

Spinifex

I don't know how they do 'Open World Hyrule Part 2', but I definitely want more of the BOTW open world template from the next Zelda.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just meant that with the deteriorating equipment and enemies like everywhere, it just felt like it is catering to those that go for heavy combat in games.

I discovered just how annoying the deterioration could be when I was trying to climb a tower that had two stationary guardians around it. I went through almost my entire shield inventory trying to kill them by parrying. Even a Knight's shield was gone after one laser shot.

Believe me, I try to avoid combat wherever possible as well. I haven't even killed any of those Stone boss statues yet. I saw the one on the plateau, but got scared lol. I just got to Zora's domain and am now heading to gather shock arrows. Hope I can get em without fighting the Lynel.

You can, I did.
After dying once or twice lol

Got

Banned
I'm willing to bet we only see one more mainline game in the next decade

Hopefully there will be some kind of 2D remake of Link's Awakening in that time though

Saw this suggested in another thread but Link's Awakening done in this engine with a denser and smaller island ti explore would be superb.

I don't think that that's necessarily true.

Eventually people are going to want a hookshot.

There's probably already 4 pages of people replying to this but, IMO they can totally do a Hookshot in a BOTW like game. The boomerang is still in afterall, it's just a type of weapon. They could easily just make the hookshot some sort of breakable tool, that just helps climbing and also be an ok weapon. Maybe certain optional surfaces could require a hookshot while also helping in general climbing areas as well. It could be used as a long-ish range weapon as well. Obviously it'll break so it wouldn't just make climbing everywhere easy, but it can be done and still work well within the game.

Also in reply to "Next decade of Zelda" well uh.... considering the rate that Zelda games come out that really only means like one more main console one lol. I'm sure a more mobile like Zelda will come to Switch that'll be more traditional in-between now and the next main Zelda. We're looking at probably another 4+ years at least before a new main Zelda, unless they maybe do a Majora's Mask like sequel. And who knows, maybe the DLC later this year will prove ultra successful and they end up just doing some sort of expansion level DLC.

Cuburt

As much as I love BotW, I've thought about this idea and it worries me in that now their is expectation of BotW as a new OoT like formula, as well as the fans who want something more like OoT, and it may just be even harder for Zelda to feel as fresh while still trying to please the fans and what they want, especially in a world of AAA HD development and how safe things can get in terms of design, even after some success.

There are lots of things I think BotW could tweak and elements from past games I'd personally like to see return in some ways, but I personally would rather see them add DLC to this game for at least a couple years and then start seeing how they could try something new again while keeping what worked from this game and past games. They could take as long as they need, I just don't want the franchise to crumble under the weight of expectations of 2 of the most revered games of all time because we've seen that happen to just one entry of a franchise the developers can't live up to.

hotcyder

Easiest thing to do with a BOTW Hookshot

Ladders don't drain stamina like regular climbing does. Hookshot does the same for climbable surfaces - but hooking is a pain, and it has durability.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't finished the game yet, but 60 hours in (and not even half the main stuff done) I sure as fuck hope so. This game is pure magic, in a way I haven't felt since Ocarina. Absolute revolution for the series. Best open world game I've ever played, and unless things change dramatically in the next half of the game it's right on track to take over my all time #1 spot. So yeah, they can't go back now. Not after this. They can still make simpler installments in the handheld tradition I suppose, but BotW sets a new standard for the main console entries. OoT was the template for many years, but it has now been utterly dethroned and eclipsed.

bridegur

I love BOTW, but I feel like it's missing some of the subterranean, secretive feel of a lot of games in the series. I'd like the next game to include more secret caves, maybe even a spelunking element.

The_Lump

Banned
I'd be more than down with this. Just stick in a couple of labrynthine dungeons and the sailing mechanic from WW and I'm set for life.

Megatron

It's weird so many people keep saying next decade of Zelda means 1 more game. Zeldas are usually 4-5 years, so it would be at least 2 in the next ten years under their normal schedule....

Of the few Zelda games I've actually enjoyed, botw is easily the best(and I don't even like open world games very much either) so I hope that is in fact the case.

I don't think that that's necessarily true.

Eventually people are going to want a hookshot.

I don't know why people are talking about the hookshot so much over all the other dungeon items. There's nothing special about it. Aonuma said they had it in BOTW and it wasn't fun so they took it out. It was a great idea to slim down the number of runes. Besides Ravali's gale + Gliding >>>>>> hookshot.

Eh, I don't think the hookshot as it functions in older games wouldn't really work in BotW. In the old games objects/surfaces could be cleanly categorized into "things the hookshot pulls to you," "things the hookshot pulls you to," and "things the hookshot doesn't attach to," with BotW's physics/"chemistry" engine it couldn't be that clean and simple. I feel like it would either be so powerful as to obsolete other movement tools or would be rendered borderline useless by the game's more realistic physics engine.

Breath of the Wild invented 3D Zelda.

but seriously it might as well have to me

I don't give a fuck about old 3D Zelda. I just want more of this.

More of Breath of the Wild's design with much much MUCH more bespoke content layered on top.

That'll be the best game of all time.

you're not actually comparing an art style to a functioning game framework tho right?

and at any rate more than half of the Zelda games since Wind Waker rolled with Wind Waker's art style, verbatim. it's by far the closest the series has to a unifying asthetic

- Make Towers more interesting or just have less of them. (like Horizon)
Nice. The towers could be like vertical dungeons, with their own puzzles and enemies.

How many towers do each of you have? There are at least four towers in this game that took me an hour or more to clear and climb because of the shit going on at the base of said tower (or the challenge actually getting to that tower poses to begin with).

Guess Who

Banned
you're not actually comparing an art style to a functioning game framework tho right?

and at any rate more than half of the Zelda games since Wind Waker rolled with Wind Waker's art style, verbatim. it's by far the closest the series has to a unifying asthetic

Even Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, even if they aren't identical to Wind Waker's style, were both clearly heavily influenced by it. Only Twilight Princess didn't really take after Wind Waker.

I don't know why people are talking about the hookshot so much over all the other dungeon items. There's nothing special about it. Aonuma said they had it in BOTW and it wasn't fun so they took it out. It was a great idea to slim down the number of runes.

Because it's the most iconic/frequently appearing Zelda tool that doesn't show up in BotW in any capacity.

Because it's the most iconic/frequently appearing Zelda tool that doesn't show up in BotW in any capacity.

More like it's the only iconic Zelda tool that doesn't show up in the game in any form at all.

but it's like... whatever. We wouldn't need bombs if Link had exploding fists, would we?

How many towers do each of you have? There are at least four towers in this game that took me an hour or more to clear and climb because of the shit going on at the base of said tower (or the challenge actually getting to that tower poses to begin with).

I've done all the towers (just to get them over with so I could see the map) I found them to be easy really, the ones with enemies around, I just ran past them or I found a high place and flew over them where possible.

Cuburt

More like it's the only iconic Zelda tool that doesn't show up in the game in any form at all.

but it's like... whatever. We wouldn't need bombs if Link had exploding fists, would we?

Well BotW could have used a Power Glove/Goron's Braclet/Power Braclet/etc. for hoisting giant boulders over your head and throwing them. With the physics in BotW, it would have been the best game for that power.

I also missed having a musical item in this game, like a flute. There could have a been a novel use for one.

I know people are thinking of the hookshot as a climbing weapon, but I think I'd rather see it be something used more in combat like being able to grab enemies' weapons with a skillful shot or pulling you close to certain objects/enemies to get a better chance to hit something. I think it might only be good to use for climbing if it's don't work on mountains or sheer surfaces, like maybe if you can only hook onto over hanging surfaces (which are very few) and even then the main use would be to swing with it like Spider-man or Batman with a grappling hook. That way you can use it to move quickly in spots that might otherwise be hard to navigate like swinging under a bridge at Hyrule castle and remain undetected instead of having to swim a moat or take the bridge or paraglide. You could also attach to the tops of trees/flag poles and swing around them to get a drop on enemies. Shooting the hookshot could be done with the throw button (press to aim, release to shoot, A to reel in, B to release it's grip on something, press Y to whip around while extended whether to fling something you grabbed or smack an enemy you missed, think Super Castlevania IV when you shake around your whip), but then you can also use it as a whip-like weapon with the Y button, which could do decent damage but degrades it faster.

Top Bottom