• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how about them Amazon Fire TV games?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Amazon-Game-Studios.jpg

Hey, remember this thing?

Amazon Games - Sneak Peek Trailer

Back in April of 2014, Amazon Games Studio posted up that "Sneak Peek" video, showcasing a lot of games which didn't quite look like real games. Since then, (as far as I can tell) only one of the games in that reel has been released, let alone properly announced, "Tales From Deep Space", a platformer exclusive to the Fire Tablet.

Amazon Game Studios have put out 15 (although more like 13) different games, however only one, Sev Zero, is for the Fire TV. Now obviously the bigger games are going to take a lot longer to come, and naturally the Fire TV games will be the bigger games, but was anyone else expecting to have heard some stuff by now?

With the acquisition of Double Helix and hiring people like Clint Hocking and Kim Swift, it seemed like Amazon was backing their Games Studios quite a bit. I've no doubt they're all hard at work making games, but the complete lack of communication of those games is making it difficult for anyone to be even remotely interested in the gameplaying ability of the Fire TV. Do you think Amazon have realised they've missed the boat somewhat and have decided not to say anything about their titles until they are nearly finished? Do you think the whole thing was an utter misstep? Or maybe Amazon have yet to stake their claim into the gaming market?

I just really wanna see what the hell that origami animal game was gonna be.

Mit-

Mobile games specific to a segmentation of Android will never gain mass appeal. Unfortunately this is Amazon's status quo.

pixlexic

Banned
they are probably keeping quiet until they have actual games and a plan to show. They got some great talent and smart people. They are not just going ot go hyping nothing without a plan like many others have tried to do.

Gestault

To be fair, their studio acquisitions are early enough that the project calendars might be a bit on the early side for full-on reveals. There's supposed to be a decent marketplace of what's already available on Android-like devices, right? A second-generation Fire TV would be a good release point for their in-house content push. Think about how long Netflix took to really prioritize their own content, rather than licensing out existing work.

SMattera

I'm guessing we see a high-powered game console from Amazon within a year, and/or a PS Now like service.

Flappy Birds Family is pretty great.

Slermy

I've been a little disappointed at the gaming support for the FireTV, but being able to play Taxman's Sonic ports on the TV with a USB controller (in my case a retroUSB Genesis adapter) has made it completely worth it.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I've been a little disappointed at the gaming support for the FireTV, but being able to play Taxman's Sonic ports on the TV with a USB controller (in my case a retroUSB Genesis adapter) has made it completely worth it.

Do you know if the Fire TV has "Ouya Everywhere" yet? That might actually make a purchase a little more worthwhile.

dugdug

Banned
Has the Fire TV been a success? Anecdotal, but, I never see anyone talking about it.

I forget the thing even exists until Gary Busey pops up on my TV screaming about it every now and then.

I ported my game Love to the Amazon Fire TV, and it's sold 278 units to date. It's been live since the near-launch of the platform, and has been featured a couple of times. It's a dollar.

Not sure how much that information's worth, but that should give you an idea of how many users have the Fire TV Controller and a dollar to spend.

And for my money, the Fire TV's the best thing on the market. I use it for light gaming, plex, and netflix. I have a Nexus Player and I'm not fond of it.

edit: I'm happy with the performance, btw. It was an easy port and the guys at Amazon are awesome.

bryehn

I ported my game Love to the Amazon Fire TV, and it's sold 278 units to date. It's been live since the near-launch of the platform, and has been featured a couple of times. It's a dollar.

Not sure how much that information's worth, but that should give you an idea of how many users have the Fire TV Controller and a dollar to spend.

And for my money, the Fire TV's the best thing on the market. I use it for light gaming, plex, and netflix. I have a Nexus Player and I'm not fond of it.

edit: I'm happy with the performance, btw. It was an easy port and the guys at Amazon are awesome.

Your game looks pretty cool, like Jumpman Jr. on roids.

statham

I play that frogger like game and the 'threes' clone with mine.

what are some good games that can be played without the controller?

Luke_Wal

Seriously, KI and Strider were great!

Has there been any news on what they're working on for Amazon??

Strider honestly had some of the most fluent combat controls I've played in a while, barring perhaps Guacamelee. Shame they're probably stuck on this platform I'll never buy (loyal Apple TV customer)....

Top Bottom