• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how come the Kamen Rider/Masked Rider series couldn't penetrate US shores?

Deepwater

-Masked Rider wasn't first
-Kids find it easier to attach with a team of six rather than 1-2 protagonists
-Masked/Kamen Rider has, I would assume, less toys than a sentai counterpart

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While I do subscribe on "anything can be adopted with proper people", I do wonder which is easiest. For ease I am gonna look at Heisei era shows.

Kuuga: basically X-Files with cop buddies, could work
Agito: above, except cop becomes a rider too
Ryuki: we already got it, actually was doing fine but 4Kids wanted to kill it
Faiz: I guess they can remove all the interdrama garbage that ruined an otherwise fine show, though I am not sure how American audiences respond to "heroes going rogue" or "other people uses suit of a hero"
Blade: sealing aliens with trading cards is actually applicable, although it means no more memes
Hibiki: despite being heavily Japanese, this is actually pretty easy to adapt since you could alter the context and it'd work
Kabuto: easy to adapt, bunch of people fighting alien bodysnatchers
Kiva: also easy to adapt, except replace alien bodysnatchers with glass vampires, though I guess the time shenanigans will be hard to do
Decade: yeah requires the above nine to be carried first, also I doubt they'd be able to replicate Masahiro's charisma or the meme
W: could actually work as a detective hero angle, and they can actually use the drug addiction angle well as they're just flash drives
OOO: also another easy show to work with, as it's very mystical in nature and people love assholes tagging with main heroes
Fourze: really great for adapting for a younger audience due to the high school musical-esque setting
Wizard: a good opportunity to fix Wizard
Gaim: using fruits as armor may be too much and they'd probably change a bulk of the plot
Drive: very easy to adapt, also another cop show!
Ghost: a good opportunity to fix Ghost

Actually kamen rider has more toys than sentai, especially since kamen rider decade

more intricate too

the problem though is that the toys are more on the pretend-play line than action figures

Godzilla has the benefit of having good movies that came out in the west during the 50's-60's and having set it's own cultural footprint. Same can be said about Ultraman, which aired on TV with the same dubbing crew that did Speed Racer. They really aren't as comparable because they use suits (for different reasons too).

thefro

Power Rangers was just a way better fit for the US market with combining, transforming giant robots (when Transformers had already had huge success and Voltron to a lesser extent). Then you had the show premiering with the Zyuranger zords right after the original Jurassic Park came out and dinosaurs were really big.

I remember Masked Rider just looking like a weird bug guy to me and the Japanese footage looked really dated.

I think you're right about the team dynamic as well, since everyone can have their favorite characters and you can have individual episodes focusing on characters.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The suits probably look too cheap? Not that the old Spiderman suits didn't, but the designs are a bit better imo. The Kamen Rider suits are just cheap-looking costumes that you could get anywhere.

Doesn't look any worse than anything we've seen on the DC shows.

Having never actually watched a Kamen Rider episode,

Power Rangers = a toy commercial for kids, plus the diverse team aspect. Also kinda fits along the TMNT niche but younger

Kamen Rider = looks* to be more standard of a hero thing yet, also an unknown hero and initially goofy suits.

But look at other hero shows of the time.... They also failed with far better recognition than Kamen Rider
Flash-Trickster-Flash.jpg

Justice_League_of_America.JPG
90's weren't a good time for regular live action hero shows. It was too late for the 60's Batman, Spiderman and 70's Wonder Woman era yet too early for certain shows to do remotely well.
Lois and Clark was successful because it found a niche and basically revived Superman.

Boss Doggie

Having never actually watched a Kamen Rider episode,

Power Rangers = a toy commercial for kids, plus the diverse team aspect. Also kinda fits along the TMNT niche but younger

Kamen Rider = looks* to be more standard of a hero thing yet, also an unknown hero and initially goofy suits.

But look at other hero shows of the time.... They also failed with far better recognition than Kamen Rider
90's weren't a good time for regular live action hero shows. It was too late for the 60's Batman, Spiderman and 70's Wonder Woman era yet too early for certain shows to do remotely well.
Lois and Clark was successful because it found a niche and basically revived Superman.

Funny you mention the year, since Kamen Rider was virtually non-existent during the 90's save for three movies that vary in quality. It only came back at the end of the 90's (1999) with a show whose concepts are actually not too different from shows like Flash, Arrow, or the X-Files

Because Zords are cooler than motorcycles.

Huge fan of Kamen Rider Black RX, though. Shame Saban's version was butchered beyond repair. Deviated way too far from the source material and what we got was really lame.

RX also had the best theme song

https://youtu.be/wjwK0wuSKIw

Boss Doggie

On a related note, I do wonder if something like Ex-Aid would work in USA. Since it's trying to mix three seemingly incompatible things (video games, medical drama, superhero) masterfully.

Auctopus

I'm British and Masked Rider was one of my favourite shows growing up in the 90s alongside Power Rangers and Beetleborgs.

Sou Da

They barely tried with Masked Rider and Dragon Knight was doomed from the start with the network it was on.

They barely tried with Masked Rider and Dragon Knight was doomed from the start with the network it was on.

This.

Masked Rider, for lack of a better term, sucked.

Dragon Knight was actually a good rider series (Better than Wizard/Ghost tier, not as good as Ryuki, but did take some...interesting liberties with the story, and i'm ok with that), but the scheduling was botched for starters and that's assumedly why it failed.

Honestly, i'm more cheesed off that it's not on Crunchyroll streaming or Shout Factory DVD yet. I'd throw some massive stacks of cash for the latter.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The outfits just aren't cool to a western standard and the power rangers exist which I'd say is more marketable with toys.

Maybe insect outfits just aren't appealing to audiences outside Japan too.

This is the Kamen Rider Ex-aid the current season that is airing;

28862828555_0288419de0_b.jpg

The whole bug motive hasn't really been a thing with the Heisei riders barring Kabuto.

I think they simply didn't try. I remember all of the other metal hero series on air, but I hardly remember ever seeing the Masked Rider show running despite it airing when I was just starting to watch Fox Kids for example.

Apparently the 90's Flash show was pushed around in the schedule by then. It actually debuted to solid ratings at the time apparently.

Also the JLA pilot never got greenlit into a show, and good riddance for that too. It sucked!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Still waiting for Amazon Prime to announce when we're getting Amazons subbed.
Unless that ended up being a non-announcement.

For as big of a Rider fan I am, I've never seen Dragon Knight and forgot that was a thing. I can't speak to what went wrong there.

Pluto

For as big of a Rider fan I am, I've never seen Dragon Knight and forgot that was a thing. I can't speak to what went wrong there.
The writing was horrible and amateurish, they had what felt like a 13 episode story and made that last 40 episodes. They did that by doing 5 minute recaps at the start of every episode, by showing the complete transformation sequence EVERY SINGLE TIME (even if the heroes transformed three times in one episode) and by doing three clip show episodes one of which was the series finale!

It was a shit show from start to finish.

Toxi

Banned
This is the Kamen Rider Ex-aid the current season that is airing;

28862828555_0288419de0_b.jpg

The whole bug motive hasn't really been a thing with the Heisei riders barring Kabuto.
To be fair, Ex-Aid's costumes are pretty damn goofy in another way. Especially the Level 1 suits.

72xXlYF.png

And then there's Kamen Rider Lazer turning into a motorcycle.

The writing was horrible and amateurish, they had what felt like a 13 episode story and made that last 40 episodes. They did that by doing 5 minute recaps at the start of every episode, by showing the complete transformation sequence EVERY SINGLE TIME (even if the heroes transformed three times in one episode) and by doing three clip show episodes one of which was the series finale!

It was a shit show from start to finish.
Oh god. I think I need to see this lol.

I've always wanted to see an adaptation of Kabuto. I wonder how much the belt sounds and concepts contribute to them maybe not working here more than the costumes themselves. Ironic because later series are pretty much toy commercials.

Boss Doggie

This.

Masked Rider, for lack of a better term, sucked.

Dragon Knight was actually a good rider series (Better than Wizard/Ghost tier, not as good as Ryuki, but did take some...interesting liberties with the story, and i'm ok with that), but the scheduling was botched for starters and that's assumedly why it failed.

Honestly, i'm more cheesed off that it's not on Crunchyroll streaming or Shout Factory DVD yet. I'd throw some massive stacks of cash for the latter.

I'm actually wondering why Toei hasn't done a deal with CR for that.

Jezan

Most outfits look like sad robots, the only ones that are passable are the ones with big eyes like Kabuto or Black, the new ones are a mess of lines and colors.

Boss Doggie

Beetleborgs was actually pretty big, iirc it was actually beating Power Rangers back then, they only stopped because they ran out of Beetle Fighter and Beetle Fighter Kabuto footage

Most outfits look like sad robots, the only ones that are passable are the ones with big eyes like Kabuto or Black, the new ones are a mess of lines and colors.

the sad eyes are an intentional design, they call it rider tears. other recurring design is the forehead gem

and I dunno, Black has a random red-yellow line coming on some parts of him that kinda clash with his black color

Deepwater

Beetleborgs was actually pretty big, iirc it was actually beating Power Rangers back then, they only stopped because they ran out of Beetle Fighter and Beetle Fighter Kabuto footage

the sad eyes are an intentional design, they call it rider tears. other recurring design is the forehead gem

and I dunno, Black has a random red-yellow line coming on some parts of him that kinda clash with his black color

in ratings or toy sales?

And Beetleborgs didn't air until after MMPR was finished. They had moved on to Zeo and Turbo by then.

99Luffy

Banned
As a kid I hated masked rider. Which is saying something cause I also watched that samurai syber squad show.
And I didnt like how his zord was a regular garage sale motorcycle.

Top Bottom