• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how come the Kamen Rider/Masked Rider series couldn't penetrate US shores?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I see Dragon Knight was brought up earlier.
There's soooo much wrong with it.

As mentioned, there's 3 clip shows in its 40 episode run. The clip shows begin with recaps, and they clip what's in the recaps, and the following episode recaps the clip show.

The protagonist is boring, with very little personality outside of the time he escaped the government.
See this guy? Big deal in Ryuki. I don't remember a damn thing about him in Dragon Knight.

Since people die all the time in Ryuki, they needed to write a way around that, so they created "Venting", where a defeated Rider gets trapped in alternate dimension (fitting that it was on CW4kids). I guess that's fine, but then 3/4ths of the way through they introduce a character that can remove people from the Vented dimension, so there's no longer any tension.
Then it gets confusing when the main villain says he'll Vent someone's girlfriend, and she wasn't a Rider. Sooo is it for Riders only or not?

One of most baffling plot choices was to "Vent" the main protagonist 3/4ths of the way through, then bring in his Mirror World counterpart (this was a running thing) to fill in the suit for the rest of the series. Even though the Mirror World counterpart lead to that world's destruction and shouldn't be praised as a hero and shouldn't get the girl in the end yet he somehow does.
The protagonist does come back but in a black recolor of his normal suit.

Then there's one female Rider and she gives it up the someone else but then she gives it up and it feels like there's no fucking point!

Notice how I brought up "3/4ths" a couple times? That's because the story draaaaags for the first 30 episodes, then suddenly rams into the plot wall at blistering speed in the final 10.

The Wang Brothers wanted to do a Faiz adaptation. Not after this disaster.

It was never handled correctly. KR is a way more watchable show by multiple age groups, the stories can be as light as an episode of Power Rangers or pretty dark and have a greater point to them.

yeah its cheesy, but when I'm in the mood, Kamen Rider is a decent drama... when they stay away from the CG. Also Amazon's Kamen Rider Amazon remake seems brutal as hell given the trailer ads I get for it lol.

Not sure why it never took off other than network and production issues trying to do the Power Rangers style. The shows really are better in their normal Japanese version imo.

Wereroku

I think it's a combination of the first 2 attempts failing and maybe a contact thing with Saban. I wish we would just get the subbed sets released here​ like they are doing with the sentai shows at the very least.

Kreed

I get that the first two attempts failed but for different reasons. First was Saban's Masked Rider trying to cash in on the Power Rangers craze at the moment, and it was so 90's as fuck and so terrible that it's best be forgotten. The second was Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and I thought it was actually passable. The problem was that 4Kids back then was actively trying to screw the show for some unknown reason.

You know you answered your thread title in your OP better than most of GAF could? Even looking at the thread, outside of posters that watch Kamen Rider or participate in Toku-GAF, most of the responses are "the costumes are bugs" in response to your topic title.

Anyway, like you said, the first show was a bad adaption with an unlikable main character, even going by Power Ranger's standards (should have just went with another kid in school). And Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was on a syndicated programming block as Saturday Morning cartoon blocks were getting dropped.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It was never handled correctly. KR is a way more watchable show by multiple age groups, the stories can be as light as an episode of Power Rangers or pretty dark and have a greater point to them.

yeah its cheesy, but when I'm in the mood, Kamen Rider is a decent drama... when they stay away from the CG. Also Amazon's Kamen Rider Amazon remake seems brutal as hell given the trailer ads I get for it lol.

Not sure why it never took off other than network and production issues trying to do the Power Rangers style. The shows really are better in their normal Japanese version imo.

But maybe it's also a cultural thing with how people watch shows though? Like maybe Americans aren't too welcoming of people in suits fighting while having a serious drama?

Also CG can be really effective when done right. Like take a look at Maximum Gamer. The suit is big but it's meant to be agile and flexible, so they do shit like turning most of its fights CGI, but man it's always a delight to see it fight.

vtnpbw.gif
ebycbx.gif

You know you answered your thread title in your OP better than most of GAF could? Even looking at the thread, outside of posters that watch Kamen Rider or participate in Toku-GAF, most of the responses are "the costumes are bugs" in response to your topic title.

Anyway, like you said, the first show was a bad adaption with an unlikable main character, even going by Power Ranger's standards (should have just went with another kid in school). And Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was on a syndicated programming block as Saturday Morning cartoon blocks were getting dropped.
Still, why not try again? Third time's the charm.

I think it's a combination of the first 2 attempts failing and maybe a contact thing with Saban. I wish we would just get the subbed sets released here​ like they are doing with the sentai shows at the very least.
Saban doesn't own the rights to Kamen Rider now.

Nairume

Banned
I always thought they could probably launch an Americanized version on the CW and make it work there.
I think the issue there is that, while it would technically work, there's little incentive for CW to go for it when they could just pull from a hero they own and slap it into their popular shared universe.

The time to strike really was the early 90's, right at that sweet spot when the demand for superhero content was there but only cartoons were making it through. If they had been a little earlier/better with Masked Rider, it'd probably have made enough of an impact to where we'd still be getting localizations for it, even if the demand was obviously being sapped up by other/better shows.

Toxi

Banned
Also CG can be really effective when done right. Like take a look at Maximum Gamer. The suit is big but it's meant to be agile and flexible, so they do shit like turning most of its fights CGI, but man it's always a delight to see it fight.

vtnpbw.gif
ebycbx.gif
I'm actually not a fan of the Maximum Gamer transformation for this reason. The transition from CGI to suit back to CGI is just distracting. It's a neat design, but man does it look awkward.

The worst transformation by far though is Level 50 Snipe. Just chop up a battleship and haphazardly throw the pieces on Snipe, that looks great!/s

Boss Doggie

I'm actually not a fan of the Maximum Gamer transformation for this reason. The transition from CGI to suit back to CGI is just distracting. It's a neat design, but man does it look awkward.

The worst transformation by far though is Level 50 Snipe. Just chop up a battleship and haphazardly throw the pieces on Snipe, that looks great!/s

I thought the transition works because rather than changing in a single scene, instead it's in-between scenes. And the fights are great to watch.

Fucking eye beams and a sentient robosuit.

HeatBoost

Some of the more recent Rider shows would be a very... very hard sell in the US. They wouldn't even bring ToQger over here because it has trains, I really doubt anyone in a business suit is going to be won over by fruit samurai and video games through a warped Bandai lens ("HEY KIDS, REMEMBER THE WONDERSWAN? WASN'T IT THE BEST HANDHELD SYSTEM???")

Kabuto would be the series to adapt. I'm honestly not sure why they went with Ryuki instead. Maybe because it's so well-regarded in Japan? Also, 13 Riders means 13 toys VS Kabuto's 6-ish, too.

Which brings us back to the toy argument because while the TV shows have always had an element of toyetica, things have gotten increasingly ridiculous lately with every single show having a cavalcade of gimmicks that are used to shore up the toy line. That's a big commitment, bringing a show AND it's toy line over.

I guess there's always Amazons. An adaptation of that show could probably be a cult hit in the same way the Guyver movies were.

when they stay away from the CG.
I will never make issues of TV CG if its doing cool unique stuff, I honestly never understand why others aren't more forgiving of it.

Especially stuff like
Obviously every show in the genre doesn't need to do it but I enjoy when some shows really stay true to what they are and don't shy away despite budget and technology not being there.

Only stuff that ever kills me is
or Last Resort for example where they literally weatherman'd an actor walking across a street in Cuba.

like, it's a cultural icon

hell, super sentai is doing worse compared to kamen rider

Yeah, hasn't KR been consistently beating sentai for like a decade or more at this point?

Regarding the OP question this is a complete hot take but I don't think Saban has created anything even remotely interesting since Lord Zedd's design. And they do a shit job at most adaptations from what I've seen. Haven't seen the movie yet so no opinion there.

Kamen Rider can potentially hit a much larger audience but it's a hard sell to both kids and young adults in its original form. I don't think Saban is capable of selling it to anybody at this point. Haven't PR ratings and toy sales been in steady decline since the first few series? Sentai is a pretty easy sell in most of its iterations, but KR is just a bit tougher in my opinion especially outside of Japan.

On the topic of CG, even in its worst forms I find it more acceptable in Toku. I think it just comes down to the fact that it looks better next to suit actors and not human actors....you know what I mean.

WillyFive

- Not unique enough to differentiate itself from American superheroes or Power Rangers, so any adaptation will always have to fight the stigma of being generic or a ripoff.
- Suits are designed to appeal to Japanese children that like gross bugs, even ones that have nothing to do with actual bugs.
- Dragon Knight was a fan film that should never have been shown on television.
- No clear business model for the US market that doesn't involve competing with Bandai's own Power Rangers brand.

I will never make issues of TV CG if its doing cool unique stuff, I honestly never understand why others aren't more forgiving of it.

Especially stuff like

Obviously every show in the genre doesn't need to do it but I enjoy when some shows really stay true to what they are and don't shy away despite budget and technology not being there.

Only stuff that ever kills me is

or Last Resort for example where they literally weatherman'd an actor walking across a street in Cuba.
whats the sub gif from? lol

G-Fex

I don't know what's with the hate on the costumes they're a lot cooler than the average bland power ranger costume. You guys are fucking trippin

b44de1810fcc1a5a8ce26707b83e95a1.jpg

We had the American-made Beetleborgs on air for a lil while, dunno if it is considered successful.

edit: way late

I never knew why this shit was ever successful. I never liked it, the goofy ass characters (even goofier than fucking mmpr or turbo) the kids. People hate Justin from Turbo and yet this entire show was based around that.

Don't get me wrong, Masked Rider was ass. But hey, it did try to show a interracial household?

Slayven

I don't know what's with the hate on the costumes they're a lot cooler than the average bland power ranger costume. You guys are fucking trippin

I never knew why this shit was ever successful. I never liked it, the goofy ass characters (even goofier than fucking mmpr or turbo) the kids. People hate Justin from Turbo and yet this entire show was based around that.

Didn't even have Mac Windy(fun fact he is Dante's voice from DMC 3 and 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mnj2mmpk2A

jwk94

I loved it because of the kids, suits, and beetle binders. At that time, I never knew I was supposed to have Justin so having a kid in a hero role was cool to me. Now, though, I can't watch beetle borgs. It's way too corny.

Ryuukan

There's this web-series/Amazon Prime exclusive Kamen Rider production called Kamen Rider Amazons, and right now it's having its Season 2 run. They said that they would be bringing it over internationally, but there's been no news. Maybe they'll do it after Season 2 is finished?

Amazon has produced a number of other Japanese shows and has been very slow and quiet on putting any of them on prime video outside of Japan.

Given the launch of AnimeStrike and Heera, both amazon channels that require an additional paywall beyond prime yet owned by Amazon, I would imagine they're planning to come up with another way to monetize these shows beyond just a prime account.

Sulik2

Japan seems to like slapstick humor mixed with drama, the US doesn't. Combined with incredibly cheesy costumes and effects its a mix that doesn't translate cultures unless its for kids like Power Rangers.

Jaeger

All the same shit y'all saying about why Kamen Rider won't work in America is the same shit that was said about Power Rangers before it came over and became a huge success. All the humor and motifs and costume designs that are in Rider are in Sentai.

Aka y'all don't know what you are talking about. Lol

Kamen Rider isn't here because Saban fucked it up. If someone that cared tried they could. Nothing is forever off limits.

Toxi

Banned
Y'all who are saying the suits look bad need some Zombie Gamer. Coolest suit in Ex-Aid.

genm_zombie_gamer_level_x_by_mtlghost2002-dat5qf6.png

Some of the more recent Rider shows would be a very... very hard sell in the US. They wouldn't even bring ToQger over here because it has trains, I really doubt anyone in a business suit is going to be won over by fruit samurai and video games through a warped Bandai lens ("HEY KIDS, REMEMBER THE WONDERSWAN? WASN'T IT THE BEST HANDHELD SYSTEM???")
I didn't actually recognize the Wonderswan, LOL. I thought Emu just received some generic brand Gameboy Advance as a kid.

All the same shit y'all saying about why Kamen Rider won't work in America is the same shit that was said about Power Rangers before it came over and became a huge success. All the humor and motifs and costume designs that are in Rider are in Sentai.
Power Rangers found a niche at the perfect time and now survives almost completely on that legacy.

There just isn't a place for Kamen Rider now imo.

CW = 5 super hero shows currently, if any more it will be DC.
Major Networks = nope they don't like straight hero genre
Cartoon Network = Cartoon Network is garbage
Disney = busy with Star Wars and Marvel
Nick = barely support Power Rangers

If it had a remote chance it would be Netflix getting Power Rangers and wanting something remotely similar to fill the "off season" void.

Boss Doggie

I do wonder if a netflix or crunchyroll Rider would do well. Make it an easy to approach show like W or Fourze.

Kabuto would be the series to adapt. I'm honestly not sure why they went with Ryuki instead. Maybe because it's so well-regarded in Japan? Also, 13 Riders means 13 toys VS Kabuto's 6-ish, too.

Which brings us back to the toy argument because while the TV shows have always had an element of toyetica, things have gotten increasingly ridiculous lately with every single show having a cavalcade of gimmicks that are used to shore up the toy line. That's a big commitment, bringing a show AND it's toy line over.

I guess there's always Amazons. An adaptation of that show could probably be a cult hit in the same way the Guyver movies were.

Like I said, KR toys are mostly focused on pretend (actually even Sentai/PR, but unlike Sentai/PR, they're not solely focused on that). So I guess it really is a hard sell even on a merchandise perspective.

I remember Japan getting Dragon Knight toys via action figures (rather than the weapons/belt), basically cheaper looking figures compared to the Ryuki SHF line.

Although Ex-Aid has up to 7 riders (Ex-Aid, Brave, Snipe, Genm, Lazer, Para-DX,
Poppy)
, 8 if you include Ride-Player
Nico
, so there's that. And they have multiple forms too.

Yeah, hasn't KR been consistently beating sentai for like a decade or more at this point?

Regarding the OP question this is a complete hot take but I don't think Saban has created anything even remotely interesting since Lord Zedd's design. And they do a shit job at most adaptations from what I've seen. Haven't seen the movie yet so no opinion there.

Kamen Rider can potentially hit a much larger audience but it's a hard sell to both kids and young adults in its original form. I don't think Saban is capable of selling it to anybody at this point. Haven't PR ratings and toy sales been in steady decline since the first few series? Sentai is a pretty easy sell in most of its iterations, but KR is just a bit tougher in my opinion especially outside of Japan.

On the topic of CG, even in its worst forms I find it more acceptable in Toku. I think it just comes down to the fact that it looks better next to suit actors and not human actors....you know what I mean.

Yep, roughly since Decade, KR has been better than Sentai in sales and ratings. I think the only time Sentai had a push was in Gokaiger and even then that was only through sales and that eventually faltered.

I do wonder though. They have brought KR outside Japan with just dubbing - to SEA and Korea in particular, and even before in Latin American countries. Surely there's still audience to tap in those areas though?

Speaking of which in Kyuranger I honestly found the actions and dialog of the suit actors much better than the face actors. Probably because it's a mix of veteran suit actors + voice actors.

Amazon has produced a number of other Japanese shows and has been very slow and quiet on putting any of them on prime video outside of Japan.

Given the launch of AnimeStrike and Heera, both amazon channels that require an additional paywall beyond prime yet owned by Amazon, I would imagine they're planning to come up with another way to monetize these shows beyond just a prime account.

Yikes, I guess that means even more delayed Amazons.

I didn't actually recognize the Wonderswan, LOL. I thought Emu just received some generic brand Gameboy Advance as a kid.

What's funnier is that when they showed Emu's Wonderswan game collection, they weren't actual Wonderswan games but generic carts. They couldn't even bother to use Bandai or Namco made games lol

Jaeger

Power Rangers found a niche at the perfect time and now survives almost completely on that legacy.

CW = 5 super hero shows currently, if any more it will be DC.
Major Networks = nope they don't like straight hero genre
Cartoon Network = Cartoon Network is garbage
Disney = busy with Star Wars and Marvel
Nick = barely support Power Rangers

If it had a remote chance it would be Netflix getting Power Rangers and wanting something remotely similar to fill the "off season" void.

I agree that probably the best place for it is via Streaming, and we have a ton of possible places now.

I disagree with this. If a fully funded, well planned push was given to this series on the proper platform, I'm positive it will find it's audience. Right now, there is none of that. Just subtitles lifted from the Japanese airings.

Boss Doggie

at the very least, if we got something like CR, it will cull off really terrible subbing practices, like what CR and Funimation did to many terrible anime subbing practices back in the early 2000's

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
at the very least, if we got something like CR, it will cull off really terrible subbing practices, like what CR and Funimation did to many terrible anime subbing practices back in the early 2000's

Death to TV-Nihon!

Big One

Banned
There's a multitude of reasons, even outside of what people stated in this thread:

• As people already stated it's already flopped twice due to various reasons. Basically they'd have to take a huge gamble with it (again) though there are ways to mitigate this if they're careful.
  • Suit designs are a mixed bag aesthetically. Some are fantastic like Kabuto while others are pretty wonky like Gaim and Ex-Aid (despite both being some of the best KR series). Sentai has had some wonky looking suits recently as well...which is one of the reason why those seasons get skipped for English adaptation. The solution may be, "Well, adapt a season like Kabuto then!" but then it'll be in an even worse situation than Power Rangers is cause it'll be behind and the footage won't be as up-to-date as other stuff on TV is, even if it's only minor differences you can tell Kabuto isn't as new as other TV shows. The footage becomes an even bigger issue if you try going back and adapting series like Kuuga or Agito.
  • The themes in Kamen Rider can get too dark for American kids at times, but not dark enough to target the show towards adults. It's in a weird middle-ground that only works in Japan. Of course most of this can get cut out if they replace the Japanese actors with American ones, but if that's the case you might alienate what makes Kamen Rider appeal to a niche group in the West.
  • There's a LOT less usuable in-suit footage than sentai becxause a good majority of it involves actual Japanese actors. W always had Akiko and Phillip on the side, OOOs always had Ankh, etc. The villains in Kamen Rider are also not exclusively monsters as well, but rather humans that become monsters through various means. This means that there has to be a LOT more editing involved than there is to sentai, and companies like Saban have proven recently they're lazy as fuck in terms of editing the sentai footage. Basically adapting Kamen Rider means they'll have to shoot more footage both in and out of suit.
With that being said, despite all of these issues, they could still do it if they put the effort into it. There are various ways and models I'd go with to adapt Kamen Rider if I were Saban or another company:

• Adapt one of the "starter" series aka Kuuga and W first, due to how baseline their concept is. However in this situation it's probably best to wait until TOEi does another one after Neo-Hesei era ends to be up-to-date with the Kamen Rider series.
  • This may be controversial but I'd just dub it for TV and release subs on Crunchyroll and other websites. It'd be the cheapest option and while Kamen Rider can get really dark at times, it's more acceptable for children's television to have TV PG ratings for their cartoons so why not do the same with Kamen Rider?
  • Release it sub-only on Crunchyroll and other streaming sites w/ some advertisement and see how well it does.
  • Do a completely American-made w/ TOEI's help CW-style show that reboots the franchise for American audiences based on the Showa era Kamen Rider. This would cost the most money, but will be a good way to introduce American audiences to the base concept of Kamen Rider. Think something like Amazons but with American actors and writers instead.

Boss Doggie

For suit design, I doubt they'd care as much. They skipped one of the best suits in Sentai (Go Buster) yet somehow adapted shitty looking suits (Kyoryuger, Ninninger). I doubt suit design has a big factor.

It's actually strange since GB has so many characters you could make a toy off, but they base it on poor sales... poor sales due to few toys. It's weird.

Also is till think Fourze could work. High school setting with superheroes with collectible items might actually bring PR-esque hijinks.

Toxi

Banned
For suit design, I doubt they'd care as much. They skipped one of the best suits in Sentai (Go Buster) yet somehow adapted shitty looking suits (Kyoryuger, Ninninger). I doubt suit design has a big factor.

It's actually strange since GB has so many characters you could make a toy off, but they base it on poor sales... poor sales due to few toys. It's weird.

Also is till think Fourze could work. High school setting with superheroes with collectible items might actually bring PR-esque hijinks.

I'm not sure how the Ninninger suits look shitty. Apparently the show is awful, but the suits look like standard Sentai fare to me.

x1cXG72.png

The Go-Busters suits are cool, but they're so different-looking from typical Sentai suits that I can see why they would be skipped over.

GB01.jpg

muteki

I watched my share of Beetleborgs back then but always was more of a Power Ranger person because of giant combining robots.

Boss Doggie

I do wonder if kids would like the rider belt toys.

I'm not sure how the Ninninger suits look shitty. Apparently the show is awful, but the suits look like standard Sentai fare to me.

x1cXG72.png

The Go-Busters suits are cool, but they're so different-looking from typical Sentai suits that I can see why they would be skipped over.

GB01.jpg

Aside from being step down from GB, the Ninninger suits don't feel ninja-y, the sash is very annoying (no Sentai suit has done a sash really well though personally), and the visor looks crap.

WillyFive

Suits are a complete non issue and has little to no bearing as to a series being adapted or not. It's all about how the toys sold in Japan and whether similar sales can be predicted in the West. Go-Busters flopped in Japan and there was no reason to adapt it when the following series became the most successful one in the franchise in almost 10 years. ToQger was simply not trusted to work in the West because it's very subject matter (train public transportation) is alien to US audiences, even more so than Samurais.

Seeing the fandom keep repeating the idea that they skipped because of suits is so annoying, especially because the suits were already accepted by Bandai in the first place for production; it's a red herring for the fandom that glosses over actual important reasons as to why a series would not be brought over.

Also, Kyoryuger and Ninninger suits look great, what is this nonsense.

Boss Doggie

Funny enough GB had low toy sales... because they didn't really make much toys. They relied on the Gokaiger keys hence why Gokaiger had technically bigger profits than usual. In a way that made GB as a show unique with very little toy shilling.

Still, I'd argue they could have made unique toys for it, especially the action figure line. The Buddyroids in particular, especially Cheedah.

Kabuto has the best suits.

But man when you see the show in Bluray or at least in high quality... they were so not taking care of the suits. It's gone from youtube now but I remember someone linking raw footage of the show's various Rider Kicks and finishers, and man Kabuto suit had so much falling "leather" on its undersuit area.

Deepwater

x1cXG72.png

GB01.jpg

We could have gotten a Go Busters with a late 90s Saban where they were willing to do a lot of original footage (albeit the plot being effectively the same). I can only imagine what Disney would have did if their last 'hurrah' with power rangers was Go Busters instead of Go-Onger.

But Saban is milking power rangers as long as he can until it's out of style again. And based off what I've seen from NeoSaban PR, they're not really willing to take a lot of risks like they used to.

PSqueak

Banned
I believe the botched attempt by saban basically poisoned the franchise for the Western Market.

It was just too butchered.

Boss Doggie

We could have gotten a Go Busters with a late 90s Saban where they were willing to do a lot of original footage (albeit the plot being effectively the same). I can only imagine what Disney would have did if their last 'hurrah' with power rangers was Go Busters instead of Go-Onger.

But Saban is milking power rangers as long as he can until it's out of style again. And based off what I've seen from NeoSaban PR, they're not really willing to take a lot of risks like they used to.
It sucks too because GB's setting makes a good layout for RPM2

Top Bottom