• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just remote played into some random person's PS4 using my PSN account.

mclem

Timezone, sure. Recognizing the Russian alphabet is something else altogether. Maybe I'm a moron, but I'd never be able to. Or is this a thing you crazy kids are into these days...

AUmj0am.jpg

Can't remember if the Game Boy version had any token Cyrillic to say "Hey, this is from Russia!"; I know there wasn't any in the logo.

andshrew

It may not be able connect any more as a result of you changing the password - their console would be prompting for the new password on your account. While that unfortunately will stop you remotely deactivating (assuming that even works via remote play), changing the password was far more important in terms of protecting your account.

Zeshile

I had a similar issue to this. Mines a little bit more complicated, so I won't go into the whole thing but Sony was useless. They didn't do anything to help me. Supposedly calling system support and not account/network support will get things done, but I never tried.

Good luck.

Haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like some Russian got OPs credentials and got ahold of the account, and OP only found out because of remote play. Very lucky

Crazy question for the smarter people out there. Anyone know if remote play would log information somewhere of the PS4 it connected to?

Just a reminder to everyone else: Log into your SEN account and check how many active PlayStation consoles you have.

You never know if someone could be ghosting your account

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action

is this a legit link or are you the russian? hehe

edit: so if my account is hacked under devices i would see lets say the number 2 ? and a second console? right now i have a 1 . That`s good i guess^^

after this thread i installed remote play on my pc. I have to say, cool feature and really fast responsetime in the menu.

Zeshile

Also, if they mention the form again, don't bother with it. It's just another way to do the 6th month deactivation and will be denied if the account was already deactivated that way

SomTervo

I didn't see anything of their account. I was logged into my PSN on their PS4. It was all my information. My games. Most of the games were not installed except for the games they would also have installed on their PS4.

Do you use any sort of VPN software? Hula or anything?

I heard they sometimes pipe together connection/networks sometimes. Could be the Russian person's router (thus PS4) was grouped into your network?

Just a reminder to everyone else: Log into your SEN account and check how many active PlayStation consoles you have.

I've got 10 devices on my account (only one is a PS4). I'm sure that a bunch of these are old duplicates but since they don't tell you anything useful, not even when they were last used, I can't tell which are safe to deactivate.

Get your shit (and 2-factor) together Sony!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Do you use any sort of VPN software? Hula or anything?

I heard they sometimes pipe together connection/networks sometimes. Could be the Russian person's router (thus PS4) was grouped into your network?

This is most definitely a case of OP's account being hacked.

On the phone. They are escalating my case and supposedly have another department working on it. They said it was ok to put my Serial Number into the form they asked me to fill out.

I am not sure what that accomplishes.

I feel like I am getting the run around here.

Frustrating.

I just checked my account and I have two ps3 systems registered but I can't remember if I ever disconnected the old bricked one from my account. Is there any easy way to check which ps3 is my actual one so I can remove the other just in case?

On the phone. They are escalating my case and supposedly have another department working on it. They said it was ok to put my Serial Number into the form they asked me to fill out.

Frustrating.
Could be they can see your info through the serial. And see the activations on it.

Probably. But you gaining access to that is a whole different matter. Sony support might be able to though.

Just looked. Remote Play spits out a data.bin and settings.cache file. Both encrypted.

Could be they can see your info through the serial. And see the activations on it.

My account even says that there were fresh deactivations on it. They should be able to tell what is going on. This shouldn't be that difficult.

Hjod

Banned

I just did that, I have one ps4 as primary and it isn't mine. I can't deactivate it from the page, I have to deactivate it from the primary ps4. I acctivated my friends ps4 as primary more than a year ago, so I guess I have to call him tomorrow.

Melchiah

Sony really need to add 2 factor auth to PSN accounts...

Would setting the four-digit parental control code, and preventing guest logins and new user creation, add a bit more security?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/restrict.html
Select [New User] and Log In to PS4

You can use this setting to disallow guest logins and prevent sub account holders from creating new users.
This will restrict others from logging in when parental controls have not been set for them. The default setting is [Allow].

So. I am in waiting mode.

In the meantime I have changed my password and financial information from PSN.

What else can I do?

I imagine they are going to download the games on my PSN if they can (not sure if they can if they can't log into my PSN account now that the password has been changed.).

They probably download my stuff onto their PS4 and then play it on their PSN account. They had download Battlefield: Hardline, DriveClub and Street Fighter V.

What do I lose by not having my PS4 set as primary? What else can I do to protect my PSN account?

Edit: I think I can edit their device nickname. This could be fun.

Dude should probably stop posting for a while and try to get his shit together first. Russian guy steals his account and he's like "oh well gonna start GAF live blog now"... lol!

I would not be close as calm.

What else can I do?

I imagine they are going to download the games on my PSN if they can (not sure if they can if they can't log into my PSN account now that the password has been changed.).

They probably download my stuff onto their PS4 and then play it on their PSN account. They had download Battlefield: Hardline, DriveClub and Street Fighter V.

What do I lose by not having my PS4 set as primary? What else can I do to protect my PSN account?

They can't download stuff without your account credentials. However they can use stuff they already downloaded from your account before you changed your login.

You lose Remote Play and the ability to play your digital games offline.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Dude should probably stop posting for a while and try to get his shit together first. Russian guy steals his account and he's like "oh well gonna start GAF live blog now"... lol!

I would not be close as calm.

Looking for assistance on GAF from people in the know is a good idea.

I just checked my account and I have two ps3 systems registered but I can't remember if I ever disconnected the old bricked one from my account. Is there any easy way to check which ps3 is my actual one so I can remove the other just in case?

I've got 10 devices on my account (only one is a PS4). I'm sure that a bunch of these are old duplicates but since they don't tell you anything useful, not even when they were last used, I can't tell which are safe to deactivate.

Get your shit (and 2-factor) together Sony!

I think you can rename the console on your PS4, and that change may be reflected in the link I provided above. That ought to maybe help you out.

I think what I did was deactivate everything (you can do it only 1 time every 6 months) and then went from there.

For some reason, I have 3 PS3s active. I am sure two of them are from my friends but I cant remember.

It would be nice if IP addresses could get recorded down. Sony really needs to do more. It's going to take another shitshow for them to do anything about it.

OP, I suggest you be a little more aggressive. Tell them that you read about PSN getting hacked a lot on forums. Tell them that you intend to post on their social media pages and make a big fuss about it. I dont know if itd work, but they need some fire under their ass.

Frustrating.

Sony Customer Support is entirely useless to the customer on the spot. After dealing with them for a while I got one of them to give me a bit of an idea of just why they can't do anything. So basically you have the guys on the phone who take the calls, they register the issue and then call another office who can actually fix the issue, but it's not a line the customer can call through to either. Rectifications have to be given the go ahead by another team above this second team before they can actually implement it.

This is basically why you can never get anything done on the spot and it usually takes a least a week to get any progress at all. A lot of crap customer services run in similar ways too where the person on the phone is powerless to help you.

What else can I do?

Edit: I think I can edit their device nickname. This could be fun.

Did you deactivate all PS4s? Change your password, deactivate all PlayStations, Activate yours as Primary...

Sounds like you did everything you can. By the way, do you have a password for when you log in? Like, a Dualshock input code?

If your PS4 is not primary, you can't play it offline. So if his was primary...then if you lost connection, you'd be locked out of your games.

You should have your PS4 as primary, and there's no real reason why your PS4 log in should be anywhere else.

Liamario

Banned
If he/she had ps4 access, they may also have access to your email password too.
Change all that ASAP. They won't be able to use your account any more.

Sony Customer Support is entirely useless to the customer on the spot. After dealing with them for a while I got one of them to give me a bit of an idea of just why they can't do anything. So basically you have the guys on the phone who take the calls, they register the issue and then call another office who can actually fix the issue, but it's not a line the customer can call through to either. Rectifications have to be given the go ahead by another team above this second team before they can actually implement it.

This is basically why you can never get anything done on the spot and it usually takes a least a week to get any progress at all.

Essentially what they told me. I was obviously frustrated with them and she said they contact another party who does the investigation. They are internal but separate from the actual support.

If he/she had ps4 access, they may also have access to your email password too.
Change all that ASAP. They won't be able to use your account any more.

They can use everything they downloaded from that account without logging in as long as their PS4 is primary.

Also, if OP chooses to "download to your PS4" via the web store, they will also receive that new content without logging in.

OP: Do not use the web store to start downloads as long as it's not your PS4 which is primary!

They can use everything they downloaded from that account without logging in as long as their PS4 is primary.

Also, if OP chooses to "download to your PS4" via the web store, they will also receive that new content without logging in.

OP: Do not use the web store to start downloads as long as it's not your PS4 which is primary!

Thanks for that. So basically they have access to my games even though my password has been changed simply because their console is set to primary.

As long as they don't have access to my password my account info should be safe right now?

I swear GAF knows more shit about this than Sony does.

DoctorWho, can you update the OP when you learn new info?

Yeah. I am expecting to get more run around by Sony. I will need to make them understand they are essentially aiding criminal activity by not simply deactivating a PS4.

Thanks for that. So basically they have access to my games even though my password has been changed simply because their console is set to primary.

As long as they don't have access to my password my account info should be safe right now?

I swear GAF knows more shit about this than Sony does.

Yeah. I am expecting to get more run around by Sony. I will need to make them understand they are essentially aiding criminal activity by not simply deactivating a PS4.

Just thinking about it... you should be able to "overwrite" the primary PS4 though. Let me take a quick look, i'll come back to you shortly.

Liamario

Banned

Would the ghosted ps4 not need to be authenticated somehow before anything new can be downloaded to it, even if it's set as primary.

Facism

They are telling me now they will send me some form to fill out. Still waiting on them to do that.

Christ.

I had this problem a year ago. I only discovered someone in Russia had compromised my account when my brother tried to play my digital copy of TLOU on his account.

All it took was a phone call to Sony's UK support. Lady on the other end of the line listened to my explanation of the problem, looked up my login history and found thousands of login attempts from a Russian IP. She deactivated every device associated with my account so i could reactivate everything properly on my end.

Really hope they sort this out for you.

I think you can rename the console on your PS4, and that change may be reflected in the link I provided above. That ought to maybe help you out.

I think what I did was deactivate everything (you can do it only 1 time every 6 months) and then went from there.

For some reason, I have 3 PS3s active. I am sure two of them are from my friends but I cant remember.

It would be nice if IP addresses could get recorded down. Sony really needs to do more. It's going to take another shitshow for them to do anything about it.

OP, I suggest you be a little more aggressive. Tell them that you read about PSN getting hacked a lot on forums. Tell them that you intend to post on their social media pages and make a big fuss about it. I dont know if itd work, but they need some fire under their ass.

I was about to deactivate all but then I remembered sharing my PS3 account with a friend years ago and I didn't want to screw them over if they still use it. A simple "last date" identifier like Android uses would be perfect, especially to get rid of what I'm sure is duplicate PSP/Vita accounts.

Since there's only one PS4 there I'm not going to freak out about it but I'm going to keep a close eye on my account from now after hearing about this issue.

OP, try this:

Turn on your PS4, go to Settings -> PSN -> Activate as primary PS4. You should be able to do that.

That way their PS4 will be made secondary and your account is useless for them.

Top Bottom