• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just remote played into some random person's PS4 using my PSN account.

Thanks for this BTW. It at least gives me ease of mind that it wasn't a key logger.

you are welcome, actually it was another gaffer that showed this page in another security issue thread but cant remember who though.

some years ago i had some problems myself with my email accounts and this site made sense of it.

spannicus

Sony needs better security, policy, and procedure around cases of compromised accounts......And dare I say patching out gameshare, until they have a better handle on whatever exploit allowed for this to happen in the first place.
Yeah, my teenage son uses my systems all the time, everytime i get on, there's 50 friend requests. There aint no telling what kind of shit their up to.

Consumer

Once these types of issues get resolved, Sony should ban the PSN account attached to the foreign PS4 that was leeching your games. Currently, it seems there's virtually no risk to 'stealing' someone's PSN account.

Odd. When I called them up once because my primary (and only) PS4 couldn't be activated they reset it right away.

Was your 'Deactivate All' still on a 6-month cooldown though? Because that's where all the trouble comes from. Sony rarely bypass the cooldown from what I hear.

Tainted

Yep, how can you trust your credit card info to a weak security system. No way , pre pay cards are the safe route.

I don't trust anything with PSN with the security they (don't) have. I'm not even going to link my Paypal account to it, even though Paypal has its own security measures in place.

Even MS implemented 2 factor authentication for XBL 3 years ago.....get your act together Sony !

This also happened to me a few months ago but I fixed it quickly enough.

I was at work and wanted to buy something from the webstore, and when I went to check out, it said my primary CC was gone. So I tried to add it back and got some error. This was before the official Remote Play app was out, so I used my BlueStacks android emulator and tried to remote play to my PS4 from work and when I did, there was someone playing Star Wars Battlefront!

I was freaking out, so I quickly went to his friends list, wrote down the PSN name, shut off their PS4, and looked up their PSN name and saw it was someone in Russia.

Changed all my passwords and added as much security as possible, reported their PSN name (nothing came of that of course), and no problems since.

Good luck with your endeavors and I hope you get it resolved soon.

i-Jest

Again, I'm sorry this happened to you Doc, I wish there was something I could do to help the process along.

Clockwork5

You could use Google Translate or show one of those emails to me via PM and I'll translate it for you.

Sounds strange that you're getting those emails in Russian. I have several PSN accounts and they typically get region specific emails, i.e. I thought only a Russian account was supposed to receive emails in Russian. Did they make a Russian account with your email or something?

Im going to PM you so you are in my history. I'll send it to you the next time I get one.

I never set my PS as the primary for the account so when my account was compromised they set their PS as the primary console for my account. I changed my password and resolved everything with customer service but still get those emails, which is a nuisance and somewhat concerning.

Tenrius

Im going to PM you so you are in my history. I'll send it to you the next time I get one.

I never set my PS as the primary for the account so when my account was compromised they set their PS as the primary console for my account. I changed my password and resolved everything with customer service but still get those emails, which is a nuisance and somewhat concerning.

Sure, I'll be glad to help. You could also dig up one of the previous emails, I guess.

Deraj

If you're on Windows, it's a good idea to use something like KeyScrambler which encrypts your keystrokes so that key loggers receive garbage data. There's a free version and a paid version which vary in which applications get protected.
https://www.qfxsoftware.com/

HF2014

Ok, im uninstalling Remote play from my PC right now. Was happy to see it work. Now it just scare me.

Turbo91GT

A similar thing happened to me. I was playing my PS4 when I got kicked off and a message came up saying another PS4 logged on with my account. I immediately logged back in and changed my password. Later on I also found out that another PS4 system was registered as the primary for my account.

Someone just posted something similar happening to them in the Giant Bomb thread.

So... this was weird.

9RIIEDD.png

Uhm... I don't speak that language, and I don't own any of those games??? (except MKX)

Its actually letting me play Need for Speed? I haven't even downloaded that game, much less own it.

Whats happening

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the 2 step authorization is locked behind changing your username lol

At least the inability to change one's name makes sense if the root cause for the lack of flexibility is some sort of utterly stupid database oversight (like, say, your chosen display name acting as the unique identifier or whatever), which is the most likely explanation at this point given people have been asking for the feature since the PS3 launched a little over nine years ago. The million dollar question is whether Sony made the same mistake with the Vita/PS4 or the option is simply being sat on until the PS3 network is shut down so the change can be global.

Fnord

Thanks for the info. Really frustrated about the PS Plus saves. I tend to play always connected and don't use other accounts so I can live without those.

Ultimately though, this shit needs to be fixed. Waiting for a response from Sony now but I don't I won't just be ok with "We can't do anything." They are allowing someone to use content purchased on my account. That's not ok. That's criminal.

I would add that you should immediately change the password of the email account you use for password recovery/changes on PSN. If someone has grabbed the credentials for that email account, when you change your PSN password, they'll know and can just go change it themselves and other similar shenanigans.

RhyDin

Here's what I do not understand, though.

Sony only allows you to be logged into PSN from the same account in one location. How did the OP not notice his account was hijacked sooner? Surely, this would have thrown up some kind of notification or booted him from PSN.

Do key loggers still work if I use lastpass to enter all my passwords?
No. Unless you have to re-enter your master password, which would then be incredibly bad because they would have access to everything.

Best practices are to use a real-time AV with really good definitions (MBAM) and rootkit scanners like TDSS Killer and MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit, even on Windows 10 and UEFI system, as these scanners will still find other things. Be aware that there are undetectable trojans out there, though.

I would add that you should immediately change the password of the email account you use for password recovery/changes on PSN. If someone has grabbed the credentials for that email account, when you change your PSN password, they'll know and can just go change it themselves and other similar shenanigans.

Did that. My email has two step authorization anyway but better safe than sorry.

Yup.

Here's what I do not understand, though.

Sony only allows you to be logged into PSN from the same account in one location. How did the OP not notice his account was hijacked sooner? Surely, this would have thrown up some kind of notification or booted him from PSN.

I think this happened in the last 24/48 hours. Like I said, I did remote play on Wednesday evening using the PC app for the first time and had no issues.

People I cannot keep stressing this enough. Use different email addresses and passwords for every site you can.

Chose a main account that all you emails get forwarded to (and never give that address to anyone) and everytime you sign up to anything, make up a new addy and password.

It takes 5 minutes and its the best protection you can have. Even if your password is compromised, it can only be used on that website. Likewise, if hackers have your email and try to hack your shit via social enginnering they wont get far because that email is only used in one place.

You dont even need to open new accounts. Most webmail providers have some form of alias function.

Someone just posted something similar happening to them in the Giant Bomb thread.

Thanks for posting this for me.

Anyways, yeah I went and checked and indeed another PS4 has been activated as the primary. And I have used the deactivate tool within the past 6 months so I can't use that... what the hell. Does sony have 24 hour support via phone? Currently waiting for their chat.

Odd though, I went to the store to see if I actually owned Need for Speed, sure enough I don't. And I've NEVER gotten a "thanks for your purchase" email that I wasn't expecting. How could some Russian guy buy a game on my account without me getting a notification?

HF2014

Program un-installed. I tried for fun to re-install it again, it keep my email account ( no password ) , is there a way to clear the cache in the reg files to remove all the entry? Even if uninstalled, it keep your email accout after your install it back.

And for safety, i disabled remote play on my ps4. And was able to see im the only one who logged in, thankfuly.

Id just liked to know how i can clear the reg file from the application, if anyone know how to do that it would be really helpful!

Program un-installed. I tried for fun to re-install it again, it keep my email account ( no password ) , is there a way to clear the cache in the reg files to remove all the entry? Even if uninstalled, it keep your email accout after your install it back.

And for safety, i disabled remote play on my ps4. And was able to see im the only one who logged in, thankfuly.

Id just liked to know how i can clear the reg file from the application, if anyone know how to do that it would be really helpful!

Remote Play isn't the problem though. It's the fact that my password was compromised.

RhyDin

Try deleting C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\PS4 Remote Play\ files.

Persona7

Banned
People I cannot keep stressing this enough. Use different email addresses and passwords for every site you can.

Chose a main account that all you emails get forwarded to (and never give that address to anyone) and everytime you sign up to anything, make up a new addy and password.

It takes 5 minutes and its the best protection you can have. Even if your password is compromised, it can only be used on that website. Likewise, if hackers have your email and try to hack your shit via social enginnering they wont get far because that email is only used in one place.

You dont even need to open new accounts. Most webmail providers have some form of alias function.

I do this. My login/main email is one thing that is never entered anywhere besides my email login page and then I use two alias emails for my accounts.

Ponn

Banned
Just received a password change email from Sony.

I think it's legit.

Could be whoever was using your account trying to get back in it and that would send an email to you automatically about it. You said you changed the password earlier right? Deactivating the systems doesn't reset passwords.

Could be whoever was using your account trying to get back in it. You said you changed the password earlier right? Deactivating the systems doesn't reset passwords.

Verified that it was legit and it changed my password on the site.

Then I changed it again just to be safe.

HF2014

Try deleting C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\PS4 Remote Play\ files.
Just installed Windows 10, and dont find it...well, iv install back the program, wrote a random email and a random password, got an error, and now it seem the one that is saved.

This seem to work, but i really love to know how to clear everything.

Ponn

Banned
Verified that it was legit and it changed my password on the site.

Yea its ok for you to do it and as long at the person isn't ghosting your computer its fine. What I meant was if you didn't initiate the password reset email yourself it could be the other person trying to get back into your account after finding out you reset the password earlier.

Yea its ok for you to do it and as long at the person isn't ghosting your computer its fine. What I meant was if you didn't initiate the password reset email yourself it could be the other person trying to get back into your account after finding out you reset the password earlier.

That was my theory. However, emails of that nature usually state that they have been generated or requested. This one did not.

RhyDin

Just installed Windows 10, and dont find it...well, iv install back the program, wrote a random email and a random password, got an error, and now it seem the one that is saved.

This seem to work, but i really love to know how to clear everything.

It's a hidden folder. Open a run prompt (hold Windows key and press R) and type %appdata% to get there easily. Then you can click the folders at the top to go up a directory, if needed.

HF2014

Remote Play isn't the problem though. It's the fact that my password was compromised.

Yeah, i understand. Im just not extremely familiar with this and just leaving my email from my account into my pc even if the program is uninstalled freak me out.

But i thiink remote play could be at fault. You log your information into the program. Anyway, i uninstalled it. I even think im going to change my password just to make sure.

I am no longer ever using remove play with my pc...no way.

Hey quick question, I'm trying to activate my current PS4 as my primary system but when I go to the website and click to deactivate it just takes me to a page that says I have to do it from the system. Well I can't as I sold my old one.

I also have never deactivated a PS4 before. Does this mean I've been hacked like the OP?

Edit - never mind figured it out

RhyDin

But i thiink remote play could be at fault. You log your information into the program.

It isn't. It just sends the login information to Sony and finds what PS4 has your account tied to it, it's no different than logging into the Sony website.

HF2014

It isn't. It just sends the login information to Sony and finds what PS4 has your account tied to it, it's no different than logging into the Sony website.

OP could have been hack from web site or maybe this program. Well im no professional in the topic to understand it all, but im not taking any chance with this program.

Top Bottom