• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I shaved my head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
My hair was getting unruly, but wasting $10 plus a tip on a haircut didn't appeal to me, so I decided to take a razor to it. I was surprised to find out just how many places there are for hair to hide, you'd think that shaving your scalp would be rather simple, but it was kind of a bitch to get all the hair from behind my ears, and fine hairs at the outside of my hair took several passes to totally eliminate.

I also never knew how thick the skin on a person's scalp is. I expected to cut the hell out of my self while shaving my head, but the skin up top is quite tough. What would have been bleeding gashes on my face were tiny, painless nicks on my scalp.

Also, it seems I have a small mole just behind my hair line that I never knew was there.

Pros of a shaved head:
I went for a walk (keep summer heat in mind) and it didn't end with rivulets of sweat stinging my eyes for 20 minutes after.

Cons:
Air conditioning on my scalp gives me a headache after a while.

Yup, I do it all the time. Not a complete bald shave, I leave stubble. I can do it myself, I don't have to deal with my hair, and it feels amazing in the summer.

Rest

Yup, I do it all the time. Not a complete bald shave, I leave stubble. I can do it myself, I don't have to deal with my hair, and it feels amazing in the summer.
I left stubble because I don't want to take the risk of having a ton of ingrown hairs all over my head. That would be a nightmare.

b6c.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Welcome to club shaved heads, OP. Enjoy getting out of bed ready to go and wearing hats or helmets without worrying about your 'do.
Lol tipping the barber

I am assuming this is another one of those US things?

RS4-

First time in 6+ years that I haven't shaved my head, growing it out to donate to cancer. Right now, got that Liu Kang look from MK the Movie. But yeah, when it comes to shaving, I just do it myself.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That feel when you're out to dinner and as you smooth your beautiful Yul Brynner scalp, and discover a Tom Selleck sized strip that you missed behind your ear where it descends to your neck.

It doesn't matter how many times you checked before you left.

This is why I always keep a spare razor at work and in the car.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I spent some money today to get my haircut....feels good.

So I assume you have a crazy tan line around your hairline, eh?

DJ_Lae

I thought I might have to do this the other week when I decided to take a chance and cut my own hair - figured that worst case I would just buzz the entire goddamn dome.

Thankfully that didn't happen, although I guess it would have grown back in time for winter. It's bad enough shaving for Movember that I gave up on that last year. I like having a built-in face scarf.

SDCowboy

Yeah I regularly shave (well super short buzz) my hair now. It's so much easier than styling it every day, and keeps my head cool in the summer. Plus its free to cut my own hair. lol

Rest

Balding by choice....that must be nice.
I've had my scare. A few years ago my hair seemed like it jumped back about ¼ of an inch over night. My older brother is going bald so it scared the shit out of me. There's been no further loss so far, but I'm always looking...

LifEndz

My hair is thinning and the worst part is having to regularly give myself a fresh baldie, because the new growth and the thinning areas is not a good look.

The best: no more barbershops! No more dropping a 20 for a fade hoping dude didn't zeke me or push my line back. No more dealing with who's up next, wondering how long I'll have to wait to get seen...Its definitely got its pluses.

shoreu

Welcome to club shaved heads, OP. Enjoy getting out of bed ready to go and wearing hats or helmets without worrying about your 'do.

I am assuming this is another one of those US things?

Lol not for me

So you change barbers after every haircut? Not tipping the barber is a good way to get fucked up.
Lol no I've never tipped a barber in my life (I'm black) I pay my 10-20 and go no one tips

Welcome to the promised land. Itvhas plenty of benefits but be prepared for a cold windy day when your bald head can't protect you from the cold.

Shaved head is the best fucking feeling. It can be time consuming to take a razor to it constantly, though. I wound up buying one of those skull shavers. Absolutely love it. I can just sit around watching TV and use it.

brawly

I would do it aswell if I could grow a badass beard. But alas I can't (yet) so I'm cutting my own hair until then.

I bought some new clippers a couple years ago and have just been cutting my hair with the 1/16th guard since, they paid for themselves after two uses, I was pretty much paying for the same thing just more hair on top anyway.

I don't have the head for the full on bald look.

Been growing out my hair since September. Had a bad week at work, plus hot ass hell Florida so I just shaved it. Not too bad actually

eXistor

I actually cut my hair down to maybe 2 millimeters last week (well the barber did). I'm starting to get seriously bald on top, so I figured it was the best thing to do. I don't regret a thing. I don't have to waste time combing and stuff, it feels nice, looks pretty decent (if I do say so myself) and people seem to like it as well. I just hope I can keep it short myself so I don't ever have to go to the barber's again (hate going there, waste of time and money).

Chesskid1

Banned
i dont shave my hair but i buzz it then let it grow out for like 4 months or till its length annoys me then buzz it again

i really love it

Brakke

Banned
The craziest things for me the first time I shaved down was 1) showers are so weird, water doesn't run down your head like it used to. it's the kind of tiny thing that you never think about until it's different. 2) strangers definitely treated me differently. I was like... intimidating people without meaning to. I had to start affecting conspicuous friendliness so people wouldn't find me intense.

SGRX

Been shaving my head for years now, not down to the scalp, more like 1/4". Looks fine, it's fast and easy, and it's one less thing I have to micromanage or pay for.

SDCowboy

The craziest things for me the first time I shaved down was 1) showers are so weird, water doesn't run down your head like it used to. it's the kind of tiny thing that you never think about until it's different. 2) strangers definitely treated me differently. I was like... intimidating people without meaning to. I had to start affecting conspicuous friendliness so people wouldn't find me intense.

Oh yeah. It definitely gives an image of toughness. A plus side is I think people typically won't fuck with you if they were to be so inclined. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom