• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

Fortunately I heard about this nonsense just in time. I found out which "important update" does the auto-scheduling and uninstalled the living shit out of it.

Fuck that bs.

hlhbk

So... your argument is that your imaginary claim that this is how it's always been Trump's reality? Please, explain how deceitfully forcing an OS install on a personal computer happens all the time... or has ANY precedence for that matter.

Second question, do you happen to work for or are you affiliated with Microsoft? I'm curious.

I do not work for or are affiliated with any major software company. My point here is nothing has been deceitfully pushed. If you are that worried about getting the update block it.

Rizific

MS forcing the upgrade is most definitely shitty, and they should receive hell for it. But I got a free os upgrade which would have otherwise cost me $100. So thanks M$.

Pandy

Why that sad face in the title? This is good news!
I'm mostly happy with my decision to install W10, but I have a few USB devices with unsupported drivers which are now impossible to install, rendering the devices useless.

If I'd had the upgrade forced on me I'd be mad as hell.

I do not work for or are affiliated with any major software company. My point here is nothing has been deceitfully pushed. If you are that worried about getting the update block it.

From the OP

And this is despite me turning off auto update

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option

You have an odd interpretation of what is and isn't deceitful. Disabling auto update should disable automatic updates. Also, read the OP.

I was in the W10 is a good OS camp for a really long time, until a latest update completely wrecked the whole OS, and I had no way of refusing that update specifically. Uninstalling that single update didn't work as it automatically installed it with the next reboot. Deferring updates didn't work because it was a security update. I had to completely disable the Windows update service and willingly put its security to risk, just in order to use my own computer
Bad OS is bad. For different reasons than usual, but bad nonetheless.

I myself was excited for the update and pushed it when it first became available . Little did I know the fiasco that is Windows 10 drivers. I had a simple Logitech wireless mouse that simply started lagging as soon as 10 was up and running. I had to purchase a different mouse which only lags and stutters occasionally now. The Xbox one controller adapter driver also was a flaming wreck as soon as the controller disconnected. The Os would lock up and prevent mouse movement. Then Cortana the search assistant started using 1gb of ram, even when switched off. Had to totally delete her registery files and kill the start menus search function to get the memory leak patched. Needless to say, I liked 8.1 more.

RexNovis

Banned
I can't believe people are defending this shady shit. It doesn't matter if you think the OS is good if people don't want it they shouldn't be forced to upgrade especially with trucks like turning X into accept.

I have no intrest in being a part of their increasingly worrisome plans for their new OS and the day they force me to upgrade is the day I switch to an Ubuntu distro and never look back. This shit is indefensible and you lot that are dismissing people for being upset about it should be ashamed of yourselves.

Rellik

And the choice was and always will be there.

From what the OP said, it sounds like they didn't have much choice. It force updated on them and they can't go back.

I love Windows 10. I thinks it's a great OS. But no one should be forced onto an OS. If the OP wants to stay on Windows 7 then they should be able to.

Shiggy

people seriously need to get over this and already upgrade. its the best OS ms has made. what is the issue?

It killed my notebook and made me buy a MacBook Pro. Not sure if that was Microsoft's intention.

Sadly I couldn't go back to Windows 7 either as my entire system was broken after the upgrade. Had to do a complete new install and then jut couldn't be bothered to cope with this shit. At least I have to admit that I upgraded voluntarily.

people seriously need to get over this and already upgrade. its the best OS ms has made. what is the issue?

Some people (like myself) don't want to bother fixing the inevitable issues that arise from an in-place upgrade. Incompatible programs and buggy drivers, etc.

I've got my shit how I like it and I don't really have time to mess with it. I have no use for Windows 10

Krejlooc

Banned
Real world example for those who think that Windows 10 having a start bar makes it just soooo keen: My father is an architect. He has a $13,000 plotter and scanner in his office that he uses daily. The company that makes the plotter/scanner flat out doesn't exist anymore, it shut down in 2012. The plotter software won't run on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. Even if you can get the plotter software running, you need a Controller board installed to interface the plotter with AutoCAD, and there are no windows 8, windows 8.1, or windows 10 drivers for that card. Also, the version of AutoCAD he has flat out won't run on windows 10.

Thus, if he "upgrades" to windows 10, this $13,000 plotter becomes a useless hunk of plastic, and he'd have to upgrade autocad for a few thousand dollars as well.

I can list other examples of Windows 10 not being the bestestest OS ever, like this one time I wrote some software for Schneider Electric that absolutely had to run on windows 7 because the version of McAfee their VPN used for security wouldn't run on windows 10, meaning if their computers were running windows 10 then they couldn't connect to the VPN unless their entire backend was reworked. Stuff like that. But no no, keep asking why anybody wouldn't possibly want to upgrade to windows 10. After all, steam runs just fine!

Real world example for those who think that Windows 10 having a start bar makes it just soooo keen: My father is an architect. He has a $13,000 plotter and scanner in his office that he uses daily. The company that makes the plotter/scanner flat out doesn't exist anymore, it shut down in 2012. The plotter software won't run on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. Even if you can get the plotter software running, you need a Controller board installed to interface the plotter with AutoCAD, and there are no windows 8, windows 8.1, or windows 10 drivers for that card. Also, the version of AutoCAD he has flat out won't run on windows 10.

Thus, if he "upgrades" to windows 10, this $13,000 plotter becomes a useless hunk of plastic, and he'd have to upgrade autocad for a few thousand dollars as well.

I can list other examples of Windows 10 not being the bestestest OS ever, like this one time I wrote some software for Schneider Electric that absolutely had to run on windows 7 because the version of McAfee their VPN used for security wouldn't run on windows 10, meaning if their computers were running windows 10 then they couldn't connect to the VPN unless their entire backend was reworked. Stuff like that. But no no, keep asking why anybody wouldn't possibly want to upgrade to windows 10. After all, steam runs just fine!
Does not compute. OS is great. Your dad should be thankful about the opportunity to upgrade.

/s

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So many condescending dicks ITT. OP had his/her reasons for not wanting to upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but good luck in hopefully reverting to the previous OS.

From what the OP said, it sounds like they didn't have much choice. It force updated on them and they can't go back.

I love Windows 10. I thinks it's a great OS. But no one should be forced onto an OS. If the OP wants to stay on Windows 7 then they should be able to.

If you really care about it, you normally read through the popups (as many people already pointed out). By now you should also have one of those tools, which block the update and any signs of it permanently, installed.

It's not like you aren't given any choice, come on.

Get used to it, because this is what Windows 10 is all about: forcing shit on the user that they don't want and never asked for. After my last clean install, I ended up with junk programs like twitter repeatedly popping up in my start menu. I'd uninstall them and they'd keep coming back. You have to go sift through you settings to disable the shop or else Windows will just constantly keep reinstalling the same shit over and over, without ever notifying you or asking permission.

God forbid you want to update a driver manually without Windows forcing an oudated one on before you can even install the new one you've downloaded. Even after changing the settings to disable this, Windows still does it. I once ended up with a conflict due to Windows installing a driver while I was simultaneously installing the new one, which led to my system being fucked until I uninstalled both and started over. The only option I've found is to disconnect from the internet altogether while changing drivers.

I don't know why everyone gushes on about Windows 10. It's not much different than Windows 8.1 to me other than the obnoxious app spam and anti-consumer spying BS.

The forced driver thing is what pisses me off. It kept fucking up my computer so I had to go back to 8.1. the spyware and torrenting stuff is another problem, but at least that can be disabled. There is no way to disable driver updates on the home version.

Also totally agree about it not being different than 8.1. I have 8.1 installed with classic shell and windows 10 brought no noticeable improvements to me. Sure you get dx 12 if you are a gamer, but that isn't really a factor at this point. I had to do 4 or 5 things to my computer to not get upgraded back to Windows 10 after rolling back to 8.1 btw. The efforts they are going to to force this on people is certainly sketchy.

RexNovis

Banned
If you really care about it, you normally read through the popups (as many people already pointed out). By now you should also have one of those tools, which block the update and any signs of it permanently, installed.

Or you could assume that turning off auto updates and hitting "X" on the scheduling window would opt you out just like every single other update/program in the OS.

People shouldn't be made to install third party programs to avoid a forced Windows OS update. The idea that people would argue such a thing as something others would do "if they care about it" is absurd. Just because someone doesnt know they need to install some third party program does not mean they don't care. Get the hell out of here with that BS.

Why are people justifying this method just because "its great!"? I don't care if upgrading to windows 10 gives a billion dollars and blowjobs from super models for life. If you don't want to upgrade you shouldn't have to fight it off like its malware.

Krejlooc

Banned
Windows 10 is a better OS than Win 7 anyways so not that bad.

You know, if people are this blind with their assessment and obviously don't read the topic in the first place, it makes me question just how accurate their claim that "windows 10 is better" is in the first place.

jacobeid

Banned
Edit: Lesson learned. I didn't read the thread. There are plenty of reasons that people have posted that make reasonable sense. I'm wrong. Sorry.

Yagharek

I don't understand why people are upset. W10 is stable, and a great OS to boot.

I'm seeing people I know lose their fucking minds and they don't even know why they're mad.

Going out on a limb here, but maybe, just maybe, people are happy with W7 and are comfortable using it with no desire to change to a new OS? I dunno. Perhaps at least one person has explained it in the other 300 posts in this thread.

So the choice is to use a third party software to stop microsoft from harrassing him every time he turns his PC on ?

What a choice, trully the best option /s

ResoRai

I'm seeing people I know lose their fucking minds and they don't even know why they're mad.

It is a good os, but some people just can't due to certain circumstances/ problems they have or know they will face, which have been explained by some in the thread.

The other thing is that people believe that the function of the "x" has been changed to mean accept when it hasn't, the wording in the open is just a bit odd. Exits a window the same as always.

Anyhow the op didn't want it, turned off auto updates, but the update was scheduled and upgraded anyways. He just didn't want it, but still got it.

daemonic

Banned
Going out on a limb here, but maybe, just maybe, people are happy with W7 and are comfortable using it with no desire to change to a new OS? I dunno. Perhaps at least one person has explained it in the other 300 posts in this thread.

Seriously. What is with the mentality that users shouldn't be upset that their OS was upgraded to a drastically different one? Sure it *might* be better, but if uses are happy with their current environment, MS has no right to update it for them automatically. Some of us like to have control over our PCs. Personally I find it to be an abhorrent practice.

Rellik

I won't argue with you on this. I agree, if you really don't want to upgrade then yes you'll have gone through the correct steps to prevent it from updating.

I still think it's bullshit the lengths that Microsoft are going to just to get everyone on Windows 10. Not everyone will know how to stop it.

If somene wants to be on Windows 7 then they should be left in peace.

Odd that it didn't keep the old OS. How much free space did you have in your system drive? Usually it should keep the old OS without fail in my experience.

Anyway, well, poke around Windows 10, and see if you like it or not. If you don't, reinstall Windows 7, even if it's annoying to have to reinstall everything... and either not install the upgrade notification or tell the notification that you don't want it to install at all explicitly (don't just close the window!).

Bsigg12

Sure, it is on its EOL support though. The extended support for Windows 7 ends January 14th, 2020, and you'll never see performance updates for the OS. You're essentially confining yourself to something that will hamper what is possible with any new hardware. I understand staying for support of a particular application or piece of hardware, but other than that it's counterintuitive to stay with 7 especially with how far Windows 10 has come.

Maximo

Apart from the PC issues listed before, windows 10 caused my laptop to never wake up from sleep I had to MANUALLY turn it on and off again everytime I closed the lid with no permanent solution, it certainly isn't "stable*.

domlolz

Banned
Windows 10 is great.

forget the naysayers.

lol what a terrible thread this is

it doesnt matter how good windows 10 the way microsoft essentially forced it upon people is amazingly stupid and plain wrong

what happens if op or others have software that doesn't work in 10. what if they need that software for work? others have said they have lost data. don't make excuses for microsoft here.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sure, it is on its EOL support though. The extended support for Windows 7 ends January 14th, 2020, and you'll never see performance updates for the OS. You're essentially confining yourself to something that will hamper what is possible with any new hardware. I understand staying for support of a particular application or piece of hardware, but other than that it's counterintuitive to stay with 7 especially with how far Windows 10 has come.

EOL support doesn't mean new hardware won't support Windows 7. EOL support meansd microsoft will stop updating it. In fact, given the tens of millions of users who still use Windows 7, I can confidently guarantee that new hardware will continue to support Windows 7 for years to come.

domlolz

Banned
the people chiming in uselessly with shit like 'windows 10 is great, stop crying' must not use their computers to do anything but play games and use microsoft office.

TheFatMan

How are games working with 10 these days? I thought I read somewhere that a lot of games on Steam don't like working on the newer OS. Or am I hallucinating that?

the people chiming in uselessly with shit like 'windows 10 is great, stop crying' must not use their computers to do anything but play games and use microsoft office.

I'm still trying to find reasons why they think windows 10 is "great". I noticed no performance increase from windows 8.1 and alot of reasons not to upgrade.

GHG

Gold Member
What's with the influx of juniors not reading OPs?

They live in a world where the mighty Microsoft makes all the decisions for them in their lives. Apparently the world is a better place where users have as little control and authority over their devices as possible. The world is a better place where all of their actions are tracked and reported back to our mighty ruler who in exchange grants us with unparalleled safety and security. If left to our own devices us mere mortals will run amok and there will be billions upon billions of unsecured devices out there with outdated software just waiting to be pounced on and compromised. They know what's best for us, always.

Don't be too hard on these poor souls, for critical reading and critical thinking might be a new concepts to them.

IISANDERII

Apart from the PC issues listed before, windows 10 caused my laptop to never wake up from sleep I had to MANUALLY turn it on and off again everytime I closed the lid with no permanent solution, it certainly isn't "stable*.
Don't worry, I'm sure it's plenty stable when it comes to delivering ads to you on your desktop.

jacobeid

Banned

It is a good os, but some people just can't due to certain circumstances/ problems they have or know they will face, which have been explained by some in the thread.

The other thing is that people believe that the function of the "x" has been changed to mean accept when it hasn't, the wording in the open is just a bit odd. Exits a window the same as always.

Anyhow the op didn't want it, turned off auto updates, but the update was scheduled and upgraded anyways. He just didn't want it, but still got it.

I'm not sure why I even posted in this thread because truthfully I didn't read the vast majority of the posts past page 1. I had a discussion with a friend earlier today and they were arguing just for argument's sake and I wrongly assumed it would be the same here.

I read through some more posts and there are definitely good reasons. I was wrong.

Sorry guys and gals. Lesson learned.

How are games working with 10 these days? I thought I read somewhere that a lot of games on Steam don't like working on the newer OS. Or am I hallucinating that?

I've had occasional issues using an XB1 controller (Firewatch comes to mind), but for the most part I've had nothing but a good experience.

Top Bottom