• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

Rellik

How are games working with 10 these days? I thought I read somewhere that a lot of games on Steam don't like working on the newer OS. Or am I hallucinating that?

I've not had a single game on Steam have issues with Windows 10.

I'm not saying issues don't exist. They definitely do, as they do with every new OS. But personally, I've played quite a lot of older games on windows 10 without issue.

I just personally think that, well, if your hardware fully supports Windows 10, there's probably no real reason not to upgrade. Of course, if there's some potential major incompatibility, all the better to stick with what works.

It just depends on the person and the computer... so there's no "right" answer for everything. Sometimes, it just so happens that every single PC someone has either flies on Windows 10 or can't do that at all. That usually makes them really vocal, be it positive or negative.

Garuda1One

Why the hate ? I upgraded to windows 10 day one ( well not exactly, due to download time and all) and untill this day, i have no bluescreen or crash..

Its a fantastic OS, and i can even play every games on my steam library without issue..

Why the hate ? I upgraded to windows 10 day one ( well not exactly, due to download time and all) and untill this day, i have no bluescreen or crash..

Its a fantastic OS, and i can even play every games on my steam library without issue..

It doesn't always work that well for everyone involved, some people have concerns about its telemetry, and some people just prefer staying on an older, but still supported OS.

JoV

How are games working with 10 these days? I thought I read somewhere that a lot of games on Steam don't like working on the newer OS. Or am I hallucinating that?

Everything works fine for me except for Cities Skylines, which is now unplayable. Dunno what the problem is, have uninstalled and reinstalled, checked caches, removed all mods and assets, but it just doesn't want to work for me at all now ):

DeVeAn

Who wants to troubleshoot 5 different OS's? Windows 10 works and hopefully will have better support with everyone on it.

First of all, I see the OP's pain on this even if hitting X had a different meaning since it probably didn't ask "Would you like to upgrade". I like 10, but these forced upgrades by Microsoft are absolutely horrible. No one should be forced to upgrade if they're fine with what they currently have.

Everyone has a different rig for different uses, not just Steam games. Some work better with 10 while others don't. Some experience larger issues compared to others, some have essential/important programs that aren't compatible with it. Some want to avoid having information about them being used for exploits. When one is upgraded to 10, there are bound to be things that cause trouble for them. People who are saying "Congrats" or "I don't see the issue" don't seem to understand that the OP didn't want it in the first place and why some oppose 10.

Long story short: Stop pushing people to upgrade even if you personally find it great and Microsoft sucks for forcing this. 10 is NOT for everyone.

StoneFox

I work in computer repair and we've had plenty of older computers come in with slow load times and errors because the old hardware/software people are holding on to are not supporting Windows 10 correctly.

OS updates should never be mandatory, it doesn't matter how much "better" it is than the previous OS, it should be a user's choice if they want it.

The fact that Windows 10 is forcing itself even worse unto people is utterly stupid.

I don't know why people resist Windows 10 so much. I upgraded on day one and haven't had a single issue. And there are lots of things to like about 10 over 7 or 8.

I can understand the frustration with it happening automatically and all the hoops you have to go through to stop it, but it seems people are not upgrading because they're afraid things will break.

Garuda1One

And if you read the thread, people provide reasons why the auto-upgrade could mess things up.

well sorry then, i was in the toilet with my phone. Blame the kebab i had.

It doesn't always work that well for everyone involved, some people have concerns about its telemetry, and some people just prefer staying on an older, but still supported OS.

well cant do much about preferences.. I know this force upgrade is terrible, we even asked people in my workplace before upgrading their workstation to 10 and held back a few months until Kaspersky releases their enterprise support for 10. And even after migrating, thankfully not one have any issues with data or programs.

RawNuts

Real world example for those who think that Windows 10 having a start bar makes it just soooo keen: My father is an architect. He has a $13,000 plotter and scanner in his office that he uses daily. The company that makes the plotter/scanner flat out doesn't exist anymore, it shut down in 2012. The plotter software won't run on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. Even if you can get the plotter software running, you need a Controller board installed to interface the plotter with AutoCAD, and there are no windows 8, windows 8.1, or windows 10 drivers for that card. Also, the version of AutoCAD he has flat out won't run on windows 10.

Thus, if he "upgrades" to windows 10, this $13,000 plotter becomes a useless hunk of plastic, and he'd have to upgrade autocad for a few thousand dollars as well.

I can list other examples of Windows 10 not being the bestestest OS ever, like this one time I wrote some software for Schneider Electric that absolutely had to run on windows 7 because the version of McAfee their VPN used for security wouldn't run on windows 10, meaning if their computers were running windows 10 then they couldn't connect to the VPN unless their entire backend was reworked. Stuff like that. But no no, keep asking why anybody wouldn't possibly want to upgrade to windows 10. After all, steam runs just fine!
Nicely detailed example, and it's sad that you have to spell it out to people like this. It's like people can't see past what they use their own PC for, and believe that their anecdotal experiences apply to everyone.

Atomski

It's BS it got forced on you but at the same time everyone is not wrong to say it's a nice OS. I can't see people using 7 still..

Nicely detailed example, and it's sad that you have to spell it out to people like this. It's like people can't see past what they use their own PC for, and believe that their anecdotal experiences apply to everyone.
Sure but the sad truth is eventually he will have to upgrade to something that works on a newer OS. If anything breaks down in that device he's screwed with there not being a company that supports it anymore. I'm sure he can get by for a good whole but if I as in his shoes I'd be putting money aside for a replacement in the meantime.

It's just like an old job I had. They kept using old insecure credit card readers.. I don't even think they were legal anymore. Everytime they tried to get them fixed they would get a lecture on why the fuck are you still using those. But they refused to update their stuff. Even software wise it's amazing that company didn't have a breach by now..

EOL support doesn't mean new hardware won't support Windows 7. EOL support meansd microsoft will stop updating it. In fact, given the tens of millions of users who still use Windows 7, I can confidently guarantee that new hardware will continue to support Windows 7 for years to come.

I wouldn't expect new motherboards and CPUs to support Windows 7 for years to come given that Microsoft will no longer sell licenses for Windows 7 with pre-built pcs Oct 31st of this year.
New graphics cards probably will Windows 7 for a while unless a new standard supplants PCI express. New harddrives will so long as they do not rely on any new motherboard facilities.

Yeah. I'm a little surprised people can be so myopic. Other people have different priorities. Shocker.

RawNuts

Sure but the sad truth is eventually he will have to upgrade to something that works on a newer OS. If anything breaks down in that device he's screwed with there not being a company that supports it anymore. I'm sure he can get by for a good whole but if I as in his shoes I'd be putting money aside for a replacement in the meantime.

It's just like an old job I had. They kept using old insecure credit card readers.. I don't even think they were legal anymore. Everytime they tried to get them fixed they would get a lecture on why the fuck are you still using those. But they refused to update their stuff. Even software wise it's amazing that company didn't have a breach by now..
True, people will upgrade when they feel it's right for them at least. I take more issue with the aggressive tactics they're using for this though, to be delivered through windows update and marked as an important update.
People deliberately keeping older versions of an OS for their own PC likely understand the risks and know what they're doing.

Just an idea for the future: If there are 8+ pages on a thread, there is a small possibility that someone has a legitimate issue with the auto update, which has nothing to do with playing games. Yet on every page there are few of these "What's the problem?", "stop whining" and "Congrats" comments. Blows my mind.

I'll willingly get it when it becomes the accepted standard, but fuck that auto update and "X means yes" bullshit. That in and of itself makes me really wary of switching over.

AzaK

And the next fun thing you can enjoy is playing the free "Where the fuck is my properties dialog" included in the install. Hint: it's under the other windows.

And autoupdating someone's OS it just bullshit and I would think, illegal in many places.

DOWN

Banned
Microsoft trying too hard to lower their support costs and claim higher upgrade stats like Mac OS

MadmanUK

Microsoft pushed it onto my wife's laptop last Wednesday when she was running her fat fighters groups and it completely fucked everything up.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
MS shouldn't be upgrading without the user's authorization. Mine upgraded to Windows 10 while I was working on an important project for work and it completely messed up my VPN client (reason I wasn't upgrading yet) and some other apps Microsoft 'decided' to remove. No prompts or warnings. It was a straight "fuck you, I'm restarting, upgrading now and you'll wait until I say so". I wasn't able to finish my work during that weekend and had to tell this bullshit to my boss. Windows 10 is nice and all, but don't try to spin these upgrades in a positive way.

Also, not being able to decide which updates and when to install them is straight up asinine. Defer is not really the answer. Complete lack of autonomy on your own computer.

Jay Sosa

Well luckily for you Windows 10 is a good OS.
Congrats.
Just accept it. W10 is great.
Enjoy using a better OS.
getting upset when good things happen is a bit odd

Jesus sometimes I simply hate GAF.

And just to clarify: I'm using Win10 (and despite having to use some workarounds it's ok) but answers like these are beyond stupid and ignorant.

It's good to force something onto people, as long as it's good.
Free choice is overrated.

Yep

le.phat

This seriously can't be true?
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

Vpcj0QO.jpg

Microsoft's ux team signed their soul to the devil.

FLAguy954

revert within a month if you find it isn't working for you

opinions are highly divided on W10 so listen to no one (except this advice) and decide for yourself

The opinions aren't really divided (except for a vocal minority of detractors).

I do sympathize with the OP though, he/she should have a choice in wanting to update their OS at anytime (even if I would recommend it).

the people chiming in uselessly with shit like 'windows 10 is great, stop crying' must not use their computers to do anything but play games and use microsoft office.
To be fair, OP did post on gaming side. Not that OT would have necessarily been better, but still.

It does seem like a lot of people are insisting that it's great for gaming. Like who gives a shit? I need a computer for more than Steam.

Fuck windows 10 auto restart on update. I played 2 hours of football manager, came back the next morning and found the pc had restarted, lost all my progress.

Fuck you Microsoft you fucking cunts.

Fucking fucking cunts.

Make sure to disable that setting everyone.

Fuck knows why that is the default setting.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sure but the sad truth is eventually he will have to upgrade to something that works on a newer OS. If anything breaks down in that device he's screwed with there not being a company that supports it anymore.

the fuck he will. We are techy people, we know people who can repair things like these should they break. My father is very technically inclined, it's nothing for him to scrounge together a windows 7 build solely for his plotter, which is precisely what he did. If it works today, it should work for the entire lifespan of that plotter, which can be a decade plus with proper care.

Ushay

W10 is great, no idea why there are constant complaints about this. Or is it the actual principle of being forced into it?

RawNuts

Fuck windows 10 auto restart on update. I played 2 hours of football manager, came back the next morning and found the pc had restarted, lost all my progress.

Fucking fucking cunts.

Had a colleague lose their progress on a lengthy render because this is the default setting.

Such convenience.

It's just so shitty to force it on people, sure, make a reminder for people once, but after that stop forcing it. While Windows 10 is a good OS it doesn't excuse being forced into it. Besides upgrading has never worked for me properly with Windows, I've always had to land up doing a clean install.

In my opinion the only real bad part about Windows 10 is the updates system, it forces updates (you can delay updates for x months if you have Pro, not sure about Home), but the worst is that it automatically restarts at a scheduled time without prompting you. It determines your "usage pattern" of when you are using the PC and automatically schedules it in the background to restart and install updates, it doesn't notify you about this at all, and the worst part is that it doesn't even detect your "usage pattern" correctly, I've had it restart and install updates at a time when I'm the most busiest on my PC.

It's even happened on live streams (if you are wondering how his stream is still running with an overlay when it happens, streamers on twitch typically have a casting PC and the gaming PC to take the load off):

sorlDU4.gif

Fredrik

This is crap. I'd hate Microsoft forever if this happened to me. I don't understand how this could be legal, people have work computers in factories and even military fascillities running Windows 7, an os upgrade needs to be carefully scheduled to not cause severe problems.

Is there a way to safely stay on Win 7?

hesido

It brought new life to my all in one slow as heck work PC, much snappier compared to Windows 8. Though it is bummer when it is installed without user's will.

Occam

If you are still capable of independent thought and ever get tired of Microsoft's bullshit, would like to win back some privacy and have a faster and more secure system, then create an Ubuntu partition.

I bet the vast majority could do perfectly well without Windows (and Microsoft Office). They just don't know it.

By the by, kind of surprised there isn't a class action suit about this in the US already.

Instro

Yes it's a good OS, but MS has been increasingly shitty about the rollout since the initial "free for everyone" nice guy routine.

Phinor

I don't know why people resist Windows 10 so much. I upgraded on day one and haven't had a single issue. And there are lots of things to like about 10 over 7 or 8.

What if some of your all time favourite games completely stopped working because of changes made in Windows 10? How about if some of your hardware, which Windows 10 officially supports, stopped working because Windows 10 only has broken drivers for that hardware? How about when Windows 10 decided to upgrade over night against your will and lost all your personal files?

I feel like posts saying "it's fine for me, so no idea why everyone wouldn't love it" are almost drive-bys. You don't force an OS upgrade like this, there are so many valid reasons why someone doesn't want to upgrade and no machine/software can ever detect all those reasons.

Crayon

This is crap. I'd hate Microsoft forever if this happened to me. I don't understand how this could be legal, people have work computers in factories and even military fascillities running Windows 7, an os upgrade needs to be carefully scheduled to not cause severe problems.

GWX Control Panel is a little program that makes it easy to fuck off windows 10.

Gren

MS wisely chose not to push this upon Enterprise versions, and admins of Professional units can prevent the upgrade en masse via Group Policy.

They'd no doubt get tons more flak if their enterprise customers had to jump through the same hoops as their home consumer/small business ones do.

Fredrik

MS wisely chose not to push this upon Enterprise versions, and admins of Professional units can prevent the upgrade en masse via Group Policy.

They'd no doubt get tons more flak if their enterprise customers had to jump through the same hoops as their home consumer/small business ones do.
Oh so if you have Windows 7 Professional edition you're not affected as long as you uncheck the auto-update box?
My Home edition has been spammed with Get Windows 10 messages like some kind of malware. I checked guide and made a registry edit and don't have the Get Windows 10 icon now at least. And I unchecked the auto install recommended updates checkbox. Still worried that it'll be installed somehow. This is beyond stupidity imo. Worse PR than the Xbox always online drm imo. It may work if you only play new games though but I suspect that few of us older core gamers only play those type of games.

Fucking fucking cunts.

I just checked this and it was on for me. Yeah I'm turning that off.

Also in that same section, choose how updates are delivered make sure that you're not letting microsoft use you as a p2p seeder for microsoft updates.

I like windows 10 over all but yeah some stuff that's on by default is more then a bit annoying.

Top Bottom