• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is Sony ever going to fix the share feature?

Kyoufu

I think it works just fine?

Hasn't a thread like this popped up several times and people explain how the share functions actually work and it turns out to be user error?

I've never had problems with it since i read up on how it works, because it's not very intuitive.

No.

Double tapping the share button to manually begin recording is NOT how it's supposed to work. Missing recordings because you didn't MANUALLY begin recording when it's actually meant to always record is not user error.

Portugeezer

Hasn't a thread like this popped up several times and people explain how the share functions actually work and it turns out to be user error?

I've never had problems with it since i read up on how it works, because it's not very intuitive.

No, but several times people think this.

Konosuke

No it's definitely broken. I know it stops recording if you go to any of the OS' menus. I've had two instances when I booted up from standby, played for a couple hours and it didn't record anything, the preview was showing the last clip before the standby boot up, with no option to save it.

I also don't understand the need to display on stream a huge censor bar whenever a notification pops up. It's dumb, can't they simply filter out some notifications? Even trophy notifications trigger it.

arhra

Putting aside whether it works properly or not (lol), it has more features than 'Xbox record that' (no button option, no screenshot option, no change of length)

You can record longer clips via snapping GameDVR (snap GameDVR, "End Clip Now", choose between 30s/1m/3m/5m). Which, other than the 5m max length limitation, seems a much better way to handle it than the PS4 way of choosing a clip length in advance and being stuck with it.

Most of the time, 30s is enough, so you can just use the voice command, but if you want a longer clip, opening GameDVR and saving a longer one is still easy enough. On PS4, you have to choose up-front between having short clips for brief moments and being unable to record longer clips at all, or long clips and having to edit down every time when you only need the last few seconds.

No argument on the button and screenshot functionality being great, though (well, apart from the fact that the button is a constant reminder that the damn thing doesn't even work properly).

Andrefpvs

No it's definitely broken. I know it stops recording if you go to any of the OS' menus. I've had two instances when I booted up from standby, played for a couple hours and it didn't record anything, the preview was showing the last clip before the standby boot up, with no option to save it.

I also don't understand the need to display on stream a huge censor bar whenever a notification pops up. It's dumb, can't they simply filter out some notifications? Even trophy notifications trigger it.

Especially when you want to stream yourself getting a trophy. It's really stupid.

t0rment

they can't even put a mp3 compatibility in the system and you think they're gonna fix something this major? maybe 2 years from now they may think about it, if we complain enough.

Lemondish

Share has always worked 100% as intended for me, I hope it gets worked out for all the people who are affected.

Do you often put your system in standby? I've noticed a few people mention that so I wonder of its a common source of the problem.

I also hate to ask, but some people don't know what the share button was intended to do and continue to sierras misinformation. You're saying that yours constantly records in the background so that hitting the share button always saves the last 15 minutes of whatever you did? That's how it's supposed to work. It's not working properly if it requires you to start recording in order to save something.

ButchCat

Totally with you on this one, the last time it updated itself was when I played Transistor and it still stuck there.

Mikey Jr.

I'm going to take a video later. You'll see what I mean.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Doesn't seem like it. This was one of the featured they hyped up before the release, so you would think that they would prioritize fixing it. But no, 7 months in it's still completely broken (at least the automatic recording part). I'm almost starting to think this is unfixable, like there's some serious issue that cannot simply be fixed through software. Which would suck.

NO.

How it's supposed to work: The PS4 automatically (i.e. with no user input at all) and continously records what you're doing in whatever game you're playing. When you press Share the last 15 minutes of gameplay are there, ready to be saved and shared.

How it works: The PS4 usually doesn't automatically record what you're doing, or it just records the first 15 minutes and then stops. So when you press Share after doing something cool 30 minutes into your play session, that footage isn't there.

The people complaining aren't the ones who don't understand the feature, those saying it's just user error are. You're the ones who don't understand how this is supposed to work and why it's broken.

Visualift

I've been using the share button and copying content over to external storage since day one... what kinda of problems are people having?

reKon

Banned
If they don't end up delivering on features they advertised for this console, I'll be very disappointed. This just keeps on going to show that early adoptors are always at a severe disadvantage and it's always better to wait. I mean come on Sony... at the very very least you could have had standard ps3 features ready for the PS4. No DLNA kills me because I'd rather use the PS4 for that than the PS3 because the PS4 is a multitasking beast. How is it this fucking hard to implement these features? I want someone to actually fill me in on what the issue is hear because I clearly must be naive about some aspect of console design.

Also it's sad that the feature that makes this gen feel more unique than the prior doesn't even work properly. You have a dedicated button just for sharing gaming moments and the whole system doesn't even work properly. This is feature that Sony is still actively marketing..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dumb question. From the dashboard, how do you get to your screenshots/videos, without hitting the share button, and taking a screenshot of the dash? lol

Go to your profile and under your pic there's an icon that'll take you to your screens and vids.

Don't have to do that anymore, they added a "tile" for your gallery (or whatever it's called) right on the main menu in an update a while back. So just use that.

I thought it was just my PS4 this entire time. Yeah, they should really fix it. If I go on a crazy tear on Destiny or encounter a hilarious glitch in Watch Dogs, I want to be able to show my friends it with absolute certainty that they're seeing it the way I did entirely uncut with context.

Portugeezer

Are people that unaware about how the share button is supposed to work?

PS4 should always be recording in the background, the last 15 minutes should always be available for you to share. Something cool happened? Press share button, trim it down if you must, then upload it. Simple. We all had those moments throughout our years of gaming that we would have loved to share, this is how the background recording should work.

Instead, that is not how it works currently. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't, so we have to manually set it to record (double tap share to do this) which guarantees your footage will be recorded and saved. Problem is that this means you are recording and saving gigabytes of video even if nothing particularly special happens and you don't want to share it. So then you have to go and delete all the useless video.

I would never have been able to share this to the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMUrP1nuP4&t=2m01s

Have they ever even addressed that it's not working properly for users?

I haven't heard them mention anything, nor have those press sneak fucks ever asked them from what I understand.

Do we seriously still have people coming into share problem threads saying "it works fine must be you"? FFS let's entertain the possibility that these people are right and we're all just bloody idiots at the very least it would be a severe lack in design for so many people to have this problem.

But its not it just doesn't work correctly for a ton of people.

Gaz_RB

Has there been any word on the suspend/resume feature as well? Did Sony just stop giving a fuck?

You thought that was ever actually coming?

hahaha you poor fella

My dream is that they will have a huge fall OS update with everything we've been waiting for

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can record longer clips via snapping GameDVR (snap GameDVR, "End Clip Now", choose between 30s/1m/3m/5m). Which, other than the 5m max length limitation, seems a much better way to handle it than the PS4 way of choosing a clip length in advance and being stuck with it.

Most of the time, 30s is enough, so you can just use the voice command, but if you want a longer clip, opening GameDVR and saving a longer one is still easy enough. On PS4, you have to choose up-front between having short clips for brief moments and being unable to record longer clips at all, or long clips and having to edit down every time when you only need the last few seconds.

No argument on the button and screenshot functionality being great, though (well, apart from the fact that the button is a constant reminder that the damn thing doesn't even work properly).

Is there anyway to do it without gameDVR being snapped though? Like can I set it going and then unsnap it?

dralla

It's been working more consistent for me lately, but still not 100%, sometimes the prompt to save a video clip does not show up and if you back out and do it again, it'll capture you backing out and re-entering the menu.

And even when it does work, the sharing options are bad. Is there a reason I can't upload a picture to one of the dozens of image hosting sites direct from my PS4? And why do I have to press the Share button on something to upload it, this creates an unnecessary picture of the upload screen. And of course, no YouTube support for videos. Even something like Vimeo would suffice at this point.

icespide

Banned
It's been working more consistent for me lately, but still not 100%, sometimes the prompt to save a video clip does not show up and if you back out and do it again, it'll capture you backing out and re-entering the menu.

And even when it does work, the sharing options are bad. Is there a reason I can't upload a picture to one of the dozens of image hosting sites direct from my PS4? And why do I have to press the Share button on something to upload it, this creates an unnecessary picture of the upload screen. And of course, no YouTube support for videos. Even something like Vimeo would suffice at this point.

you can go to the capture gallery on the main UI bar to upload without hitting the actual share button

FWIW, share has always worked for me but it really sucks for people having issues and it's clear Sony needs to do something about it.

The share feature is this generation's clock.

LOL actually the ps4 has the same problem with the clock as the ps3 did. can't believe they made the same mistake twice.

it took them about 3 years to move the clock on ps3, so good luck guys.

p.s. share has always worked perfectly for me. and YES, i understand the problem completely. But it works just 100% fine for me. and i never use STANDBY btw if that matters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
FWIW, share has always worked for me but it really sucks for people having issues and it's clear Sony needs to do something about it.

Automatic continous recording always works for you, without fail? If you start a game and start playing, without touching the Share button, and then press Share like an hour in, you always get a clip of the last 15 minutes? Because that's what's not working for most people.

I wish people who don't understand how this is supposed to work (not saying you're one of them) would stop asserting that everything is working great for them.

It works as intended for most games, but in some games the devs change up the buffer in different ways, therefore messing up the timing of the clips.
For instance, BF4's clips were the first 15 minutes of booting up at first (I think they patched it, but it's DICE so who knows), Watch Dogs doesn't allow you to save hacker clips (haven't played in a while so may have been fixed), and Destiny beta doesn't allow you to save in a match (but allows you to do it in the results screen for some reason).

Gaz_RB

Ok, for people who have it working without fail, do you have the button set to default, or did you change it to something like "hold to save video"?

Automatic continous recording always works for you, without fail? If you start a game and start playing, without touching the Share button, and then press Share like an hour in, you always get a clip of the last 15 minutes? Because that's what's not working for most people.

I wish people who don't understand how this is supposed to work (not saying you're one of them) would stop asserting that everything is working great for them.

works exactly as you said it's supposed to for me.

i know some people have problems, but i dont. i dont know what could be causing the error. i dont use standby if that counts.

icespide

Banned

everytime I've used it, it's worked as I expected it to

Kinda nuts when this is one of the main features they sold the system on.

It still doesn't work properly for me and several friends I know. Can only save the last 15 mins sporadically, I'd say at best about 50% of the time. And I've tried all the 'fixes' online, including caching the hard drive.

Has Sony given any update on this? It honestly seems like they have not said one word about it. I thought with all these 'stability updates' that surely one of them would address the issue, but nope. Nothing.

Have you tried blowing on it?

meppi

Do we seriously still have people coming into share problem threads saying "it works fine must be you"? FFS let's entertain the possibility that these people are right and we're all just bloody idiots at the very least it would be a severe lack in design for so many people to have this problem.

But its not it just doesn't work correctly for a ton of people.

Seriously. This is one of my pet peeves as of late.

This kind of shit happens all the time in BF4 threads as well.

"Everything is working perfectly fine and has for X amount of time!"

No it's fucking not, you douce. When dozens and dozens of people are stating something doesn't work for them, it's not okay to waltz in there and proclaim that everything is perfect for you and that everyone else is at fault.

Raymo

Doesn't seem like it. This was one of the featured they hyped up before the release, so you would think that they would prioritize fixing it. But no, 7 months in it's still completely broken (at least the automatic recording part). I'm almost starting to think this is unfixable, like there's some serious issue that cannot simply be fixed through software. Which would suck.

NO.

How it's supposed to work: The PS4 automatically (i.e. with no user input at all) and continously records what you're doing in whatever game you're playing. When you press Share the last 15 minutes of gameplay are there, ready to be saved and shared.

How it works: The PS4 usually doesn't automatically record what you're doing, or it just records the first 15 minutes and then stops. So when you press Share after doing something cool 30 minutes into your play session, that footage isn't there.

The people complaining aren't the ones who don't understand the feature, those saying it's just user error are. You're the ones who don't understand how this is supposed to work and why it's broken.

It works perfectly for me in the manner you just described. I've used it multiple times recently throughout the destiny beta.

Do you often put your system in standby? I've noticed a few people mention that so I wonder of its a common source of the problem.

I also hate to ask, but some people don't know what the share button was intended to do and continue to sierras misinformation. You're saying that yours constantly records in the background so that hitting the share button always saves the last 15 minutes of whatever you did? That's how it's supposed to work. It's not working properly if it requires you to start recording in order to save something.

I almost always put my system in stand-by, unless I will be gone for a few days or the system is unplugged. Mine constantly records and when I go to the share menu, I press Triangle to save the clip. If 15 minutes or less have passed it will record whats there. I haven't had this fail once.

NO.

I almost always put my system in stand-by, unless I will be gone for a few days or the system is unplugged. Mine constantly records and when I go to the share menu, I press Triangle to save the clip. If 15 minutes or less have passed it will record whats there. I haven't had this fail once.

Good for you, but it obviously is an issue for a lot of other people.

SerTapTap

I still don't undertsand exactly what's wrong with the video share feature, but because of all the issues I just use my capture card (which has 2.5 hours of flashback recording, and I wish it were more). It's a shame though because the screenshot share feature is great and should be the standard for consoles. That the video part isn't up to par is sad.

I guess they do this to prevent recording sensitive info, but if you're streaming it just puts a placeholder "busy" sort of screen, that's a way better solution than breaking the recording.

FranXico

That is the problem, it should always allow you to save the latest 15 minutes, regardless of how long you've been playing.

Top Bottom