• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I've been (possibly) hacked on PSN.

qcf x2

There's nothing to sort out. We as a community need to stop referring to what amounts to teenagers guessing your password as "hacking"

We're all password lazy. And it's not a surprise; PSN log in, Squareenix account, Uplay account, EA access, XBL the temptation to have them all the same is undeniable, but the bottom line is we need to be using stronger passwords.

This is apologist bullshit. To date, PSN is the only account of mine that has ever been clearly hacked. Been on the internet since '95 and I make a living off of mitigating this kind of shit. Their infrastructure sucks dick and their customer support is even worse.

JZA

Glad this was posted because I had no idea 2FA was even an option on PSN.

I have so many passwords anyway for so many different accounts that I'm constantly forgetting and changing different ones.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is apologist bullshit. To date, PSN is the only account of mine that has ever been clearly hacked. Been on the internet since '95 and I make a living off of mitigating this kind of shit. Their infrastructure sucks dick and their customer support is even worse.
That must've been it. The whole of Sony was breached to get access to your account and some other random people.

Nothing about this was in the media nor points where netsec people gather.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sony should send emails to all registered account every week about 2FA at this point.

Even then I still find it weird how many do get hacked all the time. Something is wrong and 2FA seems like a band-aid on a bigger issue of theirs.

Glad this was posted because I had no idea 2FA was even an option on PSN.

I have so many passwords anyway for so many different accounts that I'm constantly forgetting and changing different ones.

You should get a password manager

So to update on this:

I supplied the serial numbers of the 3 PlayStations to Sony.
It appears that it was purchased on one in my house accessible by my father.

If you recall this one does not have a joypad synced to it, not is the joypad accessible.
What I think happened is he switched the TV to HDMI 1 which boots the PS4.
The PS4 is operatable by the TV remote.
I guess PS store was accessed and one of the first deals was for skyrim and this was selected and bought.

Luckily it wasn't downloaded. So I'm able to get a refund.

That's the only explanation I can think of.

Glad to confirm I was not hacked. :)

bigol

So to update on this:

I supplied the serial numbers of the 3 PlayStations to Sony.
It appears that it was purchased on one in my house accessible by my father.

If you recall this one does not have a joypad synced to it, not is the joypad accessible.
What I think happened is he switched the TV to HDMI 1 which boots the PS4.
The PS4 is operatable by the TV remote.
I guess PS store was accessed and one of the first deals was for skyrim and this was selected and bought.

Luckily it wasn't downloaded. So I'm able to get a refund.

That's the only explanation I can think of.

Glad to confirm I was not hacked. :)

Disable Hdmi CEC on your Tv.

Social engineering is hacking, so is phishing and key logging.

If you use multiple sites with the sane log in details and they are hacked and obtained from one and used to access the other, it's still fair to say you account was hacked for most people's vernacular. Though in that instance it's your details which were hacked to access another otherwise secure account.

Imo anyway.

I tried to argue this the other day but I got trampled by SonyGaf. Guys, your favorite corporation that you hold a high level of love still creates quality products. Complaining about how easy it is to get hacked on PSN compared to Steam/XBL/Nintendo is not a personal insult to your very SIE game director. Bloodborne 2 is probably still coming and I'm still excited about it. It just sucks how often our accounts get hacked, even with 2-step verification process.

I tried to argue this the other day but I got trampled by SonyGaf. Guys, your favorite corporation that you hold a high level of love still creates quality products. Complaining about how easy it is to get hacked on PSN compared to Steam/XBL/Nintendo is not a personal insult to your very SIE game director. Bloodborne 2 is probably still coming and I'm still excited about it. It just sucks how often our accounts get hacked, even with 2-step verification process.

Explain what makes it easier?

Dude if your account is on your nephews playstation then he has access to your account with payment options on it, you cant add a payment method just for a single PS4 - it's linked to the account.

ffvorax

I personally not only have 2FA activated, but also make me ask the password before any purchase... so that if someone also have access to my account needs to put the password again before purchasing...

I personally not only have 2FA activated, but also make me ask the password before any purchase... so that if someone also have access to my account needs to put the password again before purchasing...
Yep. If other people have access to your account like family members, especially kids and others that could accidentally get into the store, you should enable the feature where it requires your password to be entered before checking out.

I did this years ago after one of my kids purchased the first Lego Batman game even though we already had it on disc. Felt fortunate to get a refund for that but have been careful ever since.

JP

I'm really glad that you managed to sort to out, got a refund for the game and actually bothered to come back and updated the thread so that other people can read what happened.

RootCause

Same here. I get a bit annoyed when I'm buying a game and it asks me for it, but threads like this remind me its a small inconvenience.

I'm really glad that you managed to sort to out, got a refund for the game and actually bothered to come back and updated the thread so that other people can read what happened.

Thank you,

And no problem, I hate when people don't update on their thread with the outcome.

Top Bottom