• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So....Terrace House (Boys and Girls in the City) on Netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakoo

604x339xterrace-1024x576.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rL75tNm1CX.jpg

Has anyone been watching this show?

From what I can gather, this show was renewed exclusively on Netflix as a part of their move into the Japanese market. It seems to be a Japanese version of Big Brother, but somehow, feels a lot more authentic compared to US reality shows. All of the conversations seem so intentional and deliberate and therefore much more impactful, which really heightens the drama of seemingly common-stance situations. On top of this, I feel like this show is just generally an interesting view into Japanese culture and what the drives and motivates people on that side of the world.

I'm on Episode 4 on Netflix and I'm absolutely enraptured in it. Is anyone else watching this? I am hoping it becomes a sleeper hit for Netflix in the US but I've seen little to no buzz about it.

neshcom

Banned
A friend was telling about this the other night. Sounds kind of like a Real World-type show. Will probably give it a look.

sphagnum

Banned
I watched it with my girlfriend and found it interesting how much quieter it is compared to a western show with the same sort of concept. If this had been made in America there'd be constant yelling and screaming and quick cuts, reaction shots, dramatic music, etc.

edit: I guess the cutaway moments where they go to the "panel" kind of fill that cathartic role in a sense though. Kind of weird how they shoehorned that in but Japan seems to love panels reacting to things.

TheMan

Looked like old school real world. Watched about half of the first episode and the cast looked too calm and timid to make it interesting.

Jakoo

I watched it with my girlfriend and found it interesting how much quieter it is compared to a western show with the same sort of concept. If this had been made in America there'd be constant yelling and screaming and quick cuts, reaction shots, dramatic music, etc.

Yeah you get the sense that people on this show aren't trying to make a career off of being a "reality show personality" and are just generally being themselves. I feel like they do do some editing of reaction shots to drive home the "dramatic moments" but for the most part, it doesn't seem as produced as some similar shows.

Yahsper

It's great. I've been following this since the start and was not amused when Netflix blocked all VPN services because that was really the only way to watch it.

Is this on Netflix internationally now?

Anyway, it's a great show. Most reality tv tries to force drama, while this is more about people trying to live together. They do focus a bit too much on 'finding love' this series though, it's getting a bit tiresome. I also love the group of hosts that give commentary. They are hilarious at times.

edit: oh snap, this is on Netflix everywhere now! This is great!

Jakoo

Looked like old school real world. Watched about half of the first episode and the cast looked too calm and timid to make it interesting.

The first episode was pretty awkward haha, but probably how I would act if I were in a similar situation.

I do think some characters start emerging in the next couple of the episodes--particularly some of the guys become pretty heelish.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah you get the sense that people on this show aren't trying to make a career off of being a "reality show personality" and are just generally being themselves. I feel like they do do some editing of reaction shots to drive home the "dramatic moments" but for the most part, it doesn't seem as produced as some similar shows.

I don't know if I would say that it doesn't seem as produced. I mean there's no way everything is genuine with a camera stalking you around in a house and on dates for a bunch of weeks. Especially during emotional moments.

But it's very much better at coming off as more mature and not a bunch of people acting for the camera.

It's great. I've been following this since the start and was not amused when Netflix blocked all VPN services because that was really the only way to watch it.

Anyway, it's a great show. Most reality tv tries to force drama, while this is more about people trying to live together. They do focus a bit too much on 'finding love' this series though, it's getting a bit tiresome. I also love the group of hosts that give commentary. They are hilarious at times.

Same here. I got blocked after a few episodes into the new season (technically Season 1.5). I'm hoping the rest pop up on Netflix US soon although I'm in no hurry, since basically nothing happens on that show. lol. That half Japanese girl in the studio segments is pretty cute though.

Shit is addictive, and super helpful for anyone learning Japanese. Smashed through 18 episodes in a little under a week, and I'm sitting here patiently for the second part, with the new housemates.

Jakoo

Yep! I am watching on the US Netflix. I feel like it was released with little to no fanfare.

I do wonder how much of the "finding love" aspect of this show is forced or not, but I do imagine that finding the perfect partner would drive a lot of peoples motivations in their early twenties as it does elsewhere in the world. I feel like
for instance, in episode 3 I think, the Tap Dancer really seems to want to understand what everyone's five year plan is, and I think the rationale is he only wants to be interested in a woman who has their career plan completely set in stone.
This show has really revealed to me the importance putting forth of best efforts in Japanese culture. They almost say "we must try our best" like every other sentence.

sphagnum

Banned
I found it kind of hilarious and cringey how baseball dude
starts off as the cool guy who everyone likes and then just implodes, realizes he fucked everything up both in his career and on the show, and just bails.

Jakoo

I don't know if I would say that it doesn't seem as produced. I mean there's no way everything is genuine with a camera stalking you around in a house and on dates for a bunch of weeks. Especially during emotional moments.

But it's very much better at coming off as more mature and not a bunch of people acting for the camera.

Sure. I guess when I say "producing" I mean in the sense of forcing storylines. I'm pretty sure MTV intentionally tells certain cast members to act certain ways in situations to make them more dramatic. I don't get the sense that is occurring here.

In this show, instead, I think that the panel talks up and reacts to certain events to imply more meaning around certain events to build the storyline.

maxcriden

If this is Season 1.5, is there anywhere to watch season 1?

Same here. I got blocked after a few episodes into the new season (technically Season 1.5). I'm hoping the rest pop up on Netflix US soon although I'm in no hurry, since basically nothing happens on that show. lol. That half Japanese girl in the studio segments is pretty cute though.

What makes this a season 1.5 rather than a s2? It's brand new characters, right?

Yahsper

What makes this a season 1.5 rather than a s2? It's brand new characters, right?

Nah, it's not like they switch out the cast and start anew. Some people leave, and they get replaced and after a few months, no one from the original crew is still around.

The way it's divided on the Japanese Netflix was just by episode count, I believe. But there's not really a clear line that divides seasons.

I take it episodes will be available internationally when a season in Japan ends? Will be a long wait, since I just came back from a month-long stay in Japan where I was able to keep up with the latest episodes.

Sorry if I was confusing. So far the US has Season 1: Part 1 (episodes 1-18). In Japan they are currently streaming Season 1: Part 2 (episodes 19-36), but they are up to around episode 30 right now (they add a new episode every Monday). I imagine the US will get Season 1: Part 2 in its entirety in about 2-3 months, after they've wrapped it up in Japan.

Japan Netflix also has 4 previous old seasons of Terrace House (51st week~ to 86th~ week), but I doubt we'll ever see those.

maxcriden

Nah, it's not like they switch out the cast and start anew. Some people leave, and they get replaced and after a few months, no one from the original crew is still around.

The way it's divided on the Japanese Netflix was just by episode count, I believe. But there's not really a clear line that divides seasons.

I take it episodes will be available internationally when a season in Japan ends? Will be a long wait, since I just came back from a month-long stay in Japan where I was able to keep up with the latest episodes.

Sorry if I was confusing. So far the US has Season 1: Part 1 (episodes 1-18). In Japan they are currently streaming Season 1: Part 2 (episodes 19-36), but they are up to around episode 30 right now (they add a new episode every Monday). I imagine the US will get Season 1: Part 2 in its entirety in about 2-3 months, after they've wrapped it up in Japan.

Japan Netflix also has 4 previous old seasons of Terrace House (51st week~ to 86th~ week), but I doubt we'll ever see those.

Thanks guys! So are all of the cast members in the current season in Netflix US brand new to the show as of episode one, or are there some returning individuals from previous Japanese eps?

All new cast for Netflix plus it's the very first Terrace House in Tokyo, thus, "Boys & Girls in the Big City." I think the old ones were filmed in more quiet, bucolic areas of Japan.

I kind of suspect
Arman
's a GAFfer.

Fritz

Jesus, I am hooked.

It's so different. like they seem all so awkward but then they have these very up front conversations about their feelings and relationships.

I think the panel is hilarious too.

Duuke

Yup, I'm in. Binged the first 18 episodes and I want more! It's crazy how the episodes air while they're still in the house and they watch themselves.

neshcom

Banned
(Ep 13) Y'all I'm so damn smitten with
Arman and Mizuki
Arisa
better step aside and let my girl get that hot
Hawaiian
ass.

Jakoo

I just finished episode 11, and I love how they found a way to shake things up in the house.
The whole time I was thinking to myself "what would it be like if an American lived in this world" and then, that's almost exactly what happens when Arman is introduced. I cracked up when they were all shook that he didn't take his shoes off at the door, haha.

I can't get a sense of how much Netflix is pushing this show stateside? Has anyone seen any advertisement for it, even in the "Top Bar" of Netflix when you log in? I feel like the show has such a unique charm to it that it could become a cult phenomenon if Netflix really pushed it.

maxcriden

I just finished episode 9, and I love how they found a way to shake things up in the house.
The whole time I was thinking to myself "what would it be like if an American lived in this world" and then, that's almost exactly what happens when Arman is introduced. I cracked up when they were all shook that he didn't take his shoes off at the door, haha.

I can't get a sense of how much Netflix is pushing this show stateside? Has anyone seen any advertisement for it, even in the "Top Bar" of Netflix when you log in? I feel like the show has such a unique charm to it that it could become a cult phenomenon if Netflix really pushed it.

Must be episode 10. Watched 9 last night then started to read this. 😢 No big deal, just FYI. ☺

Jakoo

Must be episode 10. Watched 9 last night then started to read this. �� No big deal, just FYI. ☺

AW SHOOT, I'M THE WORST. Super sorry about that. Updated my post.

It's not the biggest spoiler in the sense that (Episode 10 or later Spoiler)
Makochan was talking about leaving, but, it absolutely was surprising that they didn't choose a completely-native Japanese person.
My apologies!

maxcriden

AW SHOOT, I'M THE WORST. Super sorry about that. Updated my post.

It's not the biggest spoiler in the sense that (Episode 9 or 10 Spoiler)
Makochan was talking about leaving, but, it absolutely was surprising that they didn't choose a completely-native Japanese person.
My apologies!

No sweat! I think the tagged spoiler above must be for episode 10 or later though. I read it thinking you meant it was an explanation for your other spoiler based on something I'd for sure seen in ep. 9. But that's my own poor reading comprehension. I just mean it's definitely not in episode 9 in the sense that
Makocchan hasn't yet mentioned he's thinking of leaving. As of the end of episode 9 at least. So when I read your first spoiler I thought you meant Arman would just be a guest. Lol. Really not your fault at all that I read the second one. Just kind of a funny situation. I'd just recommend you edit the above spoiler to say "episode ten or later." 😉

Show is about 2-3 years old now, actually surprised Netflix picked it up lol.

But yeah, Japan does not have many if any "reality tv" shows so this one was a pretty big hit when it aired. (even spawning a hilarious parody about
blowjobs
) Show was pretty good and featured young people on the cusp of some kind of personal celebrity. Aside from Kitahara Rie who actually was and still is a popular celebrity idol.

Most of the first cast went on to get more recognition in their fields, Tetsuya especially who became the defacto main character of the show made a pretty smooth transition into acting and has been consistently been getting work.

The first season(s) are being rebroadcast here and I guess the new one is netflix exclusive. Was pretty addicting when I watched it thats for sure lol.

Kuno

I just discovered this show this weekend and promptly gobbled up every episode available so far. Really interesting show and very elegantly produced. I love the in-studio panel too, they're hilarious.

Only problem: Season 1 part 2 isn't out in the USA yet. I'm dyin' here...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I found it kind of hilarious and cringey how baseball dude
starts off as the cool guy who everyone likes and then just implodes, realizes he fucked everything up both in his career and on the show, and just bails.

Ah yes, dumb jocks are universal

maxcriden

Yeah it's ridiculous that they're taking this long. It was only a three week gap in Japan between part 1 and 2.

What's also super weird is that per instantwatcher the show is charging in popular series now. I wonder if it's being promoted to more people with hopefully the idea being to draw in viewers before releasing part 2?

I saw on Reddit that the show just finished the second part of the season in Japan, so hopefully it comes here soon now that they can release it all at once.

Kurita

Watched every available episodes (so just the first 18 episodes) in three days, I want the other ones ASAP damn it! It's just too good

Izuna

Banned
I used to keep up with it. Was awesome. Feel bad for
Arman

Show gets awesome when they bring foreigners into it.

neshcom

Banned
Man, I miss this show already. I'm guessing the delay is so that it doesn't have to be labeled a "weekly" show in Netflix internationally and that they can get all the subtitling done in batches. I barely remember remember where P1 ended at this point.

maxcriden

Man, I miss this show already. I'm guessing the delay is so that it doesn't have to be labeled a "weekly" show in Netflix internationally and that they can get all the subtitling done in batches. I barely remember remember where P1 ended at this point.

At the ens of episode 18, from what I remember

Yuki (tap dancer) and Mizuki (barista) moved out. Arman amd Arisa were starting to get romantic. Tatsuya and Minori were experiencing some bumps in the road. Another person was about to move in.

maxcriden

I'm jonesing badly for more episodes. We know the subs are there already. Now that the eps have all aired it's time for the show to come back....

BTW, evidently a Part 3 is coming:

TBA August 2, 2016 TBA
40 TBA August 9, 2016 TBA
41 TBA August 16, 2016 TBA
42 TBA August 23, 2016 TBA
43 TBA August 30, 2016 TBA
44 TBA September 6, 2016 TBA
45 TBA September 13, 2016 TBA
46 TBA September 21, 2016 TBA

--

Netflix August list is out:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/705763-netflix-august-2016-movie-and-tv-titles-announced

Nada. My heart sank when I ctrl-F'd Terrace and got a hit, but for something else with Terrace in the title. What are the odds? Surely very low. ;___;

Blablurn

Finshed the show in 1.5 days
pls dont judge haha

it was super gooooood!

ppooooor adachi tho, he was the personified friendzone. the sister of minori (?) nailed it when she said that he didnt win anything out of it haha

dat arman. he got all dem girls. its nice to see a western part in the mix tho.

its sad that mizuko (?) didnt get any. i think she was the prettiest out of the bunch. i dont see what people see in minori.

We're on Episode 39 I think here in Japan right now? Somewhere around the 20th or so episode, I started to feel that it was getting pretty dull and idiotic but actually Episode 39 kind of turned things around. The best episodes were definitely the first Netflix season IMO but iunno I keep watching it. It's like the Simpsons at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom