• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So....Terrace House (Boys and Girls in the City) on Netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me there's no debate. Atelier was cool (even great, especially during the show, ep7 I think) but Terrace House is like a guilty drug. I just can't get enough.

And I'm disappointed not getting an episode this week.

maxcriden

It's going up October 15th

I am so excited. There's zero chance they actually (a) will only release some of the eps since there's more than 18 new ones and they only released 18 originally? And (b) that since they called it season 2 on the FB page announcement they actually somehow mean an entirely different brand new season?

Zero chance of either, right?

neshcom

Banned
I am so excited. There's zero chance they actually (a) will only release some of the eps since there's more than 18 new ones and they only released 18 originally? And (b) that since they called it season 2 on the FB page announcement they actually somehow mean an entirely different brand new season?

Zero chance of either, right?
(A) could happen, especially if they're still releasing new ones on Netflix Japan. (B) is less than zero percent chance.

Biff

Still waiting for Part 2 in the US. At this point it's not worth following anymore.

Such a silly oversight for Netflix.

The Japanese version already has English subs. Delaying the NA release has only had me lose all interest in the show.

They spend all this money developing their own content, and then completely screw it up with region restrictions. Like... I understand fighting back against VPNs, but blocking users from Netflix original content? lol

maxcriden

(A) could happen, especially if they're still releasing new ones on Netflix Japan. (B) is less than zero percent chance.

That's reassuring on the second count at least, thank you. I'll be glad to get new eps either way.
Are they still releasing new eps in Japan by that point, though?

Such a silly oversight for Netflix.

The Japanese version already has English subs. Delaying the NA release has only had me lose all interest in the show.

They spend all this money developing their own content, and then completely screw it up with region restrictions. Like... I understand fighting back against VPNs, but blocking users from Netflix original content? lol

If it's any consolation, my understanding is that they need to localize the show insofar as music choices in the JP version include American songs that would be expensive to get the rights for here in NA, so they have to rework some of the music before putting it on Netflix outside of JP. It's frustrating for sure but I think that at least helps to know they don't only need to flick a switch and make it available as it would have seemed would have been the case.

Biff

If it's any consolation, my understanding is that they need to localize the show insofar as music choices in the JP version include American songs that would be expensive to get the rights for here in NA, so they have to rework some of the music before putting it on Netflix outside of JP. It's frustrating for sure but I think that at least helps to know they don't only need to flick a switch and make it available as it would have seemed would have been the case.
Hmm that actually is a little relieving haha.

Sucks that it's not on the October list. I hope it's just another oversight...

Garou

Interesting to see this having a following here. The series just finished yesterday here in Japan and will be rebooted in Hawaii in November.

Does the US also get the second audio-channel with the commentary from the panel-group?

joebruin

No commentary track that I can tell. Woot. October 15th. Not a bad turn around for subs.

Weird that they have the "Hawaii" listing up already without "s2" not being available in the us yet.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wonder if it's still coming as planned. The Netflix October list is sans Terrace House.
In Netflix LatAm it has a text blurb announcing Oct 15th as the second season release date, so yeah.
We also got the commentary track... but no subs for it lol

Raiden

Banned
I started watching this and i like it and im not sure why. Im not even interested in Japan or its culture perse. I guess its just interesting. At first i thought everyone was just rude and interfering with each others lives with how they keep hammering on having a vision and a goal. The cuts to the commentary studio is a bit much sometimes though. I mean these people are being made fun of over everything *someone gets rejected* cut to studio followed with hysterical laughter. Also why is a 14 year old kid in the studio as well? Half the time they're talking about the girls their body and bikini. But still its really interesting.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Spoilers up to episode 18:

I feel so bad for Tap and Mizuki. Tap especially. Dude got shut down in the worst ways possible. Yuriko kind of deserved the total rejection she got from her ex after the cold blooded shit she did to tap. Mizuki just seemed too busy to be there.

If anything this show is a great way to show the cultural differences between dating in America vs Japan. Like, who the fuck climbs a mountain on their first date? Way too much commitment for someone you barely know. Also it can be frustrating how timid the guys can be in their approach.

I'm curious to see how this show would translate over to America, the reactions from the people in the studio is wholly a Japanese concept (but part of the reason the show is as fun as it is). I think it could work, but they would have to tone it down A LOT compared to other American reality shows. This show's appeal is that everyone seems very genuine and don't play it up so much for the cameras.

I'm only on like episode 18 or so, but my wife and I are hooked.

Blablurn

whaaaaaaaat theeeeeeeeee fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

just logged into netflix to watch scrubs and suddenly I see Terrace House Season 2

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!

neshcom

Banned
I just love how pretty low-heat conversations are turned into these huge confrontations. It's certainly cultural differences, but it's so funny to watch a terse-at-best conversation dolled up with the heavy rock music.

Season 2 is delivering in spades and making a lot of quick turns. There's just something about such a polite show...

Kurita

I'm watching it in Japan for the past two months so it's been weird to have licensed music as BGM and not the soundtracks we get in the West. Some great music choices tbh!

Up to episode 32, this show is the gift that keeps on giving. Natsumi is a treasure, she's so blunt sometimes lol

Blablurn

Spoilers up to episode 18:

I feel so bad for Tap and Mizuki. Tap especially. Dude got shut down in the worst ways possible. Yuriko kind of deserved the total rejection she got from her ex after the cold blooded shit she did to tap. Mizuki just seemed too busy to be there.

If anything this show is a great way to show the cultural differences between dating in America vs Japan. Like, who the fuck climbs a mountain on their first date? Way too much commitment for someone you barely know. Also it can be frustrating how timid the guys can be in their approach.

I'm curious to see how this show would translate over to America, the reactions from the people in the studio is wholly a Japanese concept (but part of the reason the show is as fun as it is). I think it could work, but they would have to tone it down A LOT compared to other American reality shows. This show's appeal is that everyone seems very genuine and don't play it up so much for the cameras.

I'm only on like episode 18 or so, but my wife and I are hooked.

Difficult. A western version, that definitely needs to be tamed down, if you wanna make it similar to Terrace House wouldn't gain much attention I think.

I think if you look for very genuine, and honest people for TV, its difficult to get those. Dont get me wrong, of course they are genuine and honest people out there, but I dont think they would go into this show lol (in a western version at least).

Blablurn

My wife hates her but I am secretly on the side thinking "shes prolly the one I'd go for."

:lol

yeah!!

for sure. the one who is with uchi is nice... but also boring. and arisa... she played with the feelings of tap (which was kinda funny tho) and with those from my homeboy arman. i cant accept the latter! :D

Blablurn

v8wCArR.png

if looks could kill

:lol

Peru

I was really into Yuriko giving the tap dancer the knife. Dude was a huge prick when they first met because she didn't have the same lofty goals as he. Love Yuriko.

Also into Natsumi. I mean she was obviously a little rude at first but then it's fair to ask why anyone would be into Uchi. And she just goes straight for the critical questions to clear things up now (at ep 23).

Digging the young prettyboy construction worker, straight out of some ad, and his cougar huntin ways.

edit: LMAO at everyone paying visits to grumpy Uchi sleeping in his room

Blablurn

I was really into Yuriko giving the tap dancer the knife. Dude was a huge prick when they first met because she didn't have the same lofty goals as he. Love Yuriko.

Also into Natsumi. I mean she was obviously a little rude at first but then it's fair to ask why anyone would be into Uchi. And she just goes straight for the critical questions to clear things up now (at ep 23).

Digging the young prettyboy construction worker, straight out of some ad, and his cougar huntin ways.

edit: LMAO at everyone paying visits to grumpy Uchi sleeping in his room
just made it to grumpy uchi too :lol what an episode. all the dama. all the tears.

"I just want to sleep"

Peru

Crushing a bit on Natsumi and her straight talking ways.. want to be an 18-year old hunk for her to play with.

Blablurn

Without spoiling anything, Hikaru is by far the least interesting member of the season to me.

I like his easy going way. If he wanted he could get any girl. But instead he's just doing his construction work. Even helping lazy potato Amran to get a job there.

Kurita

I like his easy going way. If he wanted he could get any girl. But instead he's just doing his construction work. Even helping lazy potato Amran to get a job there.
Ummm, Arman is also easy going but in a fun way while Hikaru can come across as arrogant I thought. There's some moments when I just thought "What a dick". Maybe that's just me. I don't hate him, just, whatever.

His immaturity really showed during the meat incident. I mean everyone's did but him especially.
True.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I thought I'm going to like Natsumi, because I prefer straightforward people, but I currently (ep 29) find her rather annoying.
If you openly criticize people, don't get angry/confused if they do the same to you.
I feel like she is having a hard time understanding the fact that different people think in different ways and there's time and place for expressing your opinion. For example don't do it when people don't want to hear it and give obvious signs showing that.

Unrelated, poor Tap, but Yuriko is still the best girl.

Blablurn

Ummm, Arman is also easy going but in a fun way while Hikaru can come across as arrogant I thought. There's some moments when I just thought "What a dick". Maybe that's just me. I don't hate him, just, whatever.

True.

After seeing a lil bit more of Hikaru I understand where you are coming from. I'm surprised he was legit mad about those driving comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom