• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Wii is pretty much over, what did you think?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I am still to this day pissed at Ninty for having such shit hardware (fuck, you didn't even have to be HD, I would have settled for some mid way point or hell, even 1/3 of the PS360's power), but it gave us the best game that I've played in over a decade, SMG. So I can give it somewhat of a pass. I haven't finished Zelda: SS, so I can't really comment on that. But NSMB: Wii was ace. Oh, and SMG2 was not too bad either, I guess.

I feel it had a better first party library compared to the GC, aside from SSB, and Zelda (judgement is on hold for the moment).

StuBurns

Banned
Fair enough.
It's just that I believe this whole ranking system can't be trusted anymore (assuming, by the way, there was a time it could actually be trusted), even though that probably mean it can't get worse. Or at least that's what I hope.

Because you know... whenever I read this quote, with which I completely agree, I immediately start thinking about this console generation.
I don't remember the exact date but comments seems to indicate it's a 2007 article.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ten/what-does-a-perfect-score-mean-308968.php
Certainly aspects of the process are suspect (although it would be absurd to presume there weren't similar cases with Wii software as the one you highlighted), although even when they can be trusted, it doesn't mean their opinion should really hold any value.

As AniHawk astutely observed, many of the industry's best games this generation have been low balled, if you think of something like Vanquish, probably considered to be the best third person shooter ever made to the bigger fans of that genre, holds an 84 on Metacritic, where as UC3, which with completely busted controls has a 92. I think there's no doubt hype/marketing are affecting review scores, and the Wii has generally less of those major hyped titles, but even with that you have to question why that is, and if it's still the fault of Nintendo.

Why, when Nintendo was ahead of the pack, with a cheaper system to develop for, have an embarrassing third party portfolio? Why do major publishers consider it to be a money pit for anyone other than Nintendo? Sure, you could name a couple of third party hits, and blame the publishers for not giving it the support they should to see the results they want, but there is something holding publishers back from even trying, and whatever that thing is, it's Nintendo's fault.

EDIT: This page as been a little biting. Feel free to post very positive, and very negative things, but about the Wii, not each other.

sphinx

the piano man
Certainly aspects of the process are suspect (although it would be absurd to presume there weren't similar cases with Wii software as the one you highlighted), although even when they can be trusted, it doesn't mean their opinion should really hold any value.

As AniHawk astutely observed, many of the industry's best games this generation have been low balled, if you think of something like Vanquish, probably considered to be the best third person shooter ever made to the bigger fans of that genre, holds an 84 on Metacritic, where as UC3, which with completely busted controls has a 92. I think there's no doubt hype/marketing are affecting review scores, and the Wii has generally less of those major hyped titles, but even with that you have to question why that is, and if it's still the fault of Nintendo.

Why, when Nintendo was ahead of the pack, with a cheaper system to develop for, have an embarrassing third party portfolio? Why do major publishers consider it to be a money pit for anyone other than Nintendo? Sure, you could name a couple of third party hits, and blame the publishers for not giving it the support they should to see the results they want, but there is something holding publishers back from even trying, and whatever that thing is, it's Nintendo's fault.

EDIT: This page as been a little biting. Feel free to post very positive, and very negative things, but about the Wii, not each other.

The dead body of that horse has been beaten millions times. PS360 had the better ecosystem for the kind of games devs wanted to produce and devs wanted to publish.

Even then, had the Wii been able to run them, then it would have got them.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The launch of a new system is always exciting, but it's also usually the death of another. The Wii is over, ultimately, what did you think? Which games did you enjoy most? Any major let downs?

Pour one out.

I really liked it.
I played various great games on it, especially Nintendo's but not only; I loved the pointer control in different titles, I loved all the exclusives it had (primarly Nintendo's but also minor third parties efforts) and I really liked also to be able to play some games with my friends/wife

It was the perfect companion of one of the HD twins (first I played a lot on the Xbox360, later on I substituted it with the PS3), with some of the greatest games of the generation on it

StuBurns

Banned
The dead body of that horse has been beaten millions times. PS360 had the better ecosystem for the kind of games devs wanted to produce and devs wanted to publish.

Even then, had the Wii been able to run them, then it would have got them.
I don't think it would have. I guess we'll see with the Wii U next year.

Turrican3

my tastes usually don't align with the top-ranking games.
[...]
i guess it really is just me preferring the less cinematic/realistic approach in general.
Same here.

Certainly aspects of the process are suspect (although it would be absurd to presume there weren't similar cases with Wii software as the one you highlighted)
I won't name any particular game but yes, I can think of similar cases on the Wii, too.

Thing is, I believe there are/were *lots* more of suspicious things on the PS360 camp.

I'm 99.9% sure that, should the WiiU gain the same kind of AAA support that PS360 got during this generation, it would have its own good portion of what I'd call marketing perfect scores.

although even when they can be trusted, it doesn't mean their opinion should really hold any value.
Yep.

Why, when Nintendo was ahead of the pack, with a cheaper system to develop for, have an embarrassing third party portfolio?
IMHO because it was a completely unexpected success and, by the time third parties realized it was not going to be a fad, its technical shortcomings prevented them to quickly adapt - read: easily port games - to a different scenario than the one they had anticipated (PS3 and/or X360 domination).

For example, AFAIK Capcom released their very first MT Framework game for the Wii in 2010.

The defense that the Wii is successful because it's really a "companion" console makes little sense.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people had Wii as a primary console and a PC and/or PS360 as their "companion" console.

I own more games on the Wii than PS3 and 360 combined, and still have some to buy (not to mention my backlog). And by reading this thread it seems I'm not the only one.

The average gamer on these other platforms still plays on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. The average Wii buyer has either sold it off long ago or entirely stopped playing it years ago.
There's no such thing as an "average gamer".

Wii support is basically dead though, that's undeniable.
(by the way, I still use my launch day Wii)

soul

I can't believe I actually missed a generation. I always planned on trying out the Wii, but never had the chance...

Would definitely try out the Wii and buy several of the popular games, someday, in the future.

Empty

i like the system very much. i can't imagine being a devoted wii only gamer as the droughts were appalling and third parties abandoned it far more than the gamecube but it supplemented my other systems beautifully. where the ps3 and 360 and arguably the pc fight over very similar ground, it was nice to see the wii go off in a different direction and nintendo brought real quality from their first party. also as someone who started console gaming on the ps1 i treasured the virtual console.

Gadirok

I can't believe I actually missed a generation. I always planned on trying out the Wii, but never had the chance...

Would definitely try out the Wii and buy several of the popular games, someday, in the future.

I would honestly skip out on it. That's just my opinion on it, but it would be much better to invest in a wiiU at this point in time. Hopefully, Nintendo rereleases SMG 1 & 2 in HD, but because the wiiU has backwards compatibility its probably better to go for it instead and that you could always have the option to mess around with newer hardware and keep up with next gen.

I missed out on the PS2 and have been playing PS2 HD remasters since. Doesn't mean Nintendo will do the same, but SMG in HD would be amazing.

As for the wii, it was fun for the first few months, and now that you can get them for dirt cheap it would be a decent investment. The galaxy games, warioware, even abit of brawl and mariokart were great. NSMB wii... not so much.

It was okay, but I didn't feel like I got the core gaming experience I did on my n64 (excluding SMG). It was more for party games and couch coop but I didn't like motion controls. I felt that singleplayer on the wii was kinda meh, but I still have to try xenoblade.

Unai

I would honestly skip out on it. That's just my opinion on it, but it would be much better to invest in a wiiU at this point in time.

By the way, do we know if the Wii U activity log will register wii games? The 3DS one register DS games, but after the whole console within a console thing I don't know what to think.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It was good... until they "abandoned" it around 2010.

Also, they really should have put at least 720p and some AA in there. Shit is really bad on my HDTV, and after playing some PC games, the difference is so bad it almost hurts the gameplay. I'm not talking textures or amount of polygons, just the resolution and AA.

StAidan

The Wii was probably my favorite since SNES. Due to disinterest in the games library, I left console gaming halfway through the N64 era, skipped out on Gamecube (again due to library), and returned with Wii in 2007. I haven't had so much fun with gaming since the early '90s.

I'm a little different from many gamers in that, although I am very much a die-hard lover of video games, I focus all of my gaming interest on Nintendo and PC. I'm not an Xbox/PS hater, I just have no interest in what's available on those consoles.

Seeing the return of classic style gameplay (New SMB Wii, Punch-Out!!, DKCR), along with the debut of Wii Sports and other motion controlled stuff, completely renewed my interest in gaming.

hokahey

I've been gaming for 25 years and Wii has gotten more play than any console since the SNES for me. Hell, Wii Sports alone meant endless nights in the months after launch playing with friends, trying to beat records, crank out home runs etc.

Some of the best first party Nintendo games ever made.

drspeedy

Definitely satisfied, apart from the obvoius gems my favorite surprise was this little hidden masterpiece:

Awesome little game. Not the old Hudson Soft of old, but a very cool concept and great art style.

FWIW, I think I prefer the PAL title (it's "Lost in Shadow" in the US), but that font... not so much. Giving Cursed Mountain a run for the "worst font" award!

gerudoman

It's been my most played Nintendo console since SNES, and I've played pretty much every must own games from each one.

Xenoblade is probably mi favourite game ever, and Skyward Sword, Brawl and both Galaxy could easily be in my top 10 of all time. These and some really nice ports like RE4, Okami, Bully, Silent Hill SM or Metroid Prime Trilogy, along with some interesting experiments such as Epic Mickey, NMH, Zack & Wiki, The Last Story or Little King's Story have made Wii one of the most enjoyable consoles I've ever own.

Eighthours

I do find it pretty amazing that EG France need NEW GUIDELINES before realising that getting an Activision PR man who worked on Black Ops to review Black Ops II looks dodgy as.

The defences the staff are offering in the comments thread for the review are trés hilarant.

Too many hidden gems that the average gamer will never know about. I loved it for the first 4 years.

I haven't turned it on for anything other than Netflix for the past 2.

neogrup2

Banned
With the Wii I have decided to buy my last Nintendo console. For too long I have sit back and missed out on all the big games. The Wii just did not have any for me. I do not like Mario, or Kirby, or pretty much any of their franchises or characters anymore. I realize I was more a Rare gamer, and less a Nintendo gamer.
Recenly I bought Halo 4 and played it on my step sons 360. Love it! I missed the other Halo games because I was too into Nintendo to see above my own nose. So many games I have missed. Well after seeing the new trailer for GTA V I do not want to miss anything else.

Especially since it is not coming to Wii U. This has been a long time coming. Not only the disappointment that I had with the Wii ( it was great for some, just saying not for me), but the 3DS has been a disaster for me! The lack of games in the West has been unforgiveable. Why did they not start with a large 3DS? Now I have no money for the XL and I hate playing anything with the mini one I have. Everyone on here knows that I am a Nintendo Fan boy, and I will keep that persona on the internet. Even though I am not anymore.

Sorry nintendo, but you just are not enough for me anymore. I want to be part of the crowd. I want to have fun! N64-Wii made me lose trust in you. I cannot buy the Wii U.

Deefuzz

I neglected the hell out of the poor thing. I waiting in line at launch for 10 hours in the cold for the Wii, and it started out strong in my gaming rotation. But I found myself playing my 360 more and more, not wanting to bother with my Wiimotes and such.

A shame because there is a bunch of great games I have that I still have never played like NSMB, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn and Skyward Sword. And many I never finished like Epic Mickey, Zak and Wiki, and SMG.

Really the main standouts for me were Twilight Princess and Punch Out. I actually REALLY liked Punch Out a lot.

I guess the games I still have yet to go through will find new life on the WiiU and I hope (and feel) that I will treat that system a little bit better.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can count the consoles that I didn't buy in the last thirty years on one hand.
Wii was one of them.

Top Bottom