• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this happened.

When my childhood dog died while I was in college, rather than call me to share the news my dad emailed me a picture. A picture of my dog's dead body in a cardboard box next to an index card with "Zack's Dead" written on it (in my dad's terribly messy hand writing).

He's self-admittedly not a "dog person," and I've never really figured out if that really seemed like the best way to share the news to him, or he thought it wouldn't be a big deal (because it's "just a dog"). But it was kinda fucked up.

Probably not as weird as showing your co-worker your mother's corpse though.
Is that your dog in your avatar? :(
Why didn't he just called...

When my childhood dog died while I was in college, rather than call me to share the news my dad emailed me a picture. A picture of my dog's dead body in a cardboard box next to an index card with "Zack's Dead" written on it (in my dad's terribly messy hand writing).

He's self-admittedly not a "dog person," and I've never really figured out if that really seemed like the best way to share the news to him, or he thought it wouldn't be a big deal (because it's "just a dog"). But it was kinda fucked up.

Probably not as weird as showing your co-worker your mother's corpse though.
Did text messaging not exist at the time ?

DKPOWPOW

You respond with "M....Martha?! WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT PICTURE"

Lol, shouldn't be laughing but that was good.

Anyways... this guy sounds nuts or maybe he just didn't care for his parents. I mean... How well do you know him? I would've said something like "what the hell? Why do you have that picture?" Especially if he's smiling because that's weird as hell.

Moze

Banned
That sounds like a future Jeffrey Dahmer. I would ignore it incase you piss him off and become a victim. Not even joking, this is genuinely how I feel about this.

Just a really fucked situation.

Just say "OK" and change the subject.

Report him to HR seems a little vindictive. It's a bit weird but no need to fuck with his livelihood.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm guessing you tried to conceal your surprise since the coworker just continued on laughing

_Ryo_

My mother showed me pictures of my grandma in her casket at her funeral, plus her when she passed awsy, and it made me feel quite uncomfortable. I told her that it was creepy and she got real mad and offended. I guess some people take pictures of dead loved ones to help them grieve.

She also had the pictures framed in her house and I felt very, very uncomfortable whenever there. Fortunately they have since been taken down.

That is absolutely disgusting and I would make a formal complaint myself.

Im not squeamish but I don't particularly want to see dead people that I know as i fear that it will be the image that pops into my mind when thinking of them and I wouldn't want to ruin that. My sister in-law had a stillborn baby and most of my in-laws have fucking cards with his picture on it now!

Of course this was at the same time my aunt in-law answered her 11 year old daughters question of ”Mummy why is he blue?" with ”Because (sister in-law) painted him blue" so I shouldn't be too surprised at the shit they do.

*EDIT
Why? Such snitches on this forum smh.
Because some people dont want to go to work and have people show them pictures of corpses with no warning? Its a sad subject but that doesnt mean you get to force that image into my head to roll around all my life.

Reminds me of my dad, he told me a story of his dad accidentally stepping on their kittens head when my dad was a kid, hearing it crack and the poor thing not surviving. That image has haunted me ever since he told me and i wish he didnt as i was already aware of the risks of cats since i grew up with them.

Taking the phone and throwing it out a moving car is retribution.

Talking to HR about a person showing dead bodies and being a creep is called a safe workplace

I'd rather have my phone thrown out the window than potentially lose my job. It's pure tattle taleing. You're not unsafe because someone showed you a picture of a corpse.

I'd rather have my phone thrown out the window than potentially lose my job. It's pure tattle taleing. You're not unsafe because someone showed you a picture of a corpse.
Please dont try to minimise what happened here, not once have i ever heard of people just pulling out pictures of their dead mom.

It may seem like just a picture to you but for some this would be traumatic and could possibly leave a lasting impression.

Please dont try to minimise what happened here, not once have i ever heard of people just pulling out pictures of their dead mom.

It may seem like just a picture to you but for some this would be traumatic and could possibly leave a lasting impression.

Maybe some people might feel that way, I don't suppose most people would. It's weird but it's really not a big deal or worth making a big fuss about.

gaiages

Banned
Maybe some people might feel that way, I don't suppose most people would. It's weird but it's really not a big deal or worth making a big fuss about.

Yeah uh MOST people are going to be uncomfortable looking at pictures of dead bodies

Especially when said dead body is the dude's mom and he's laughing about it

shem935

Banned
So just to summarize, during random conversation and unprompted from you a coworker shows you a pic of their dead mom, laughs about it, and you don't want to talk to HR?

Yeah no. Having a pic of your dead mom in a body bag is really fucked up and its super fucked up to go around showing it to your coworkers. Id be making a fuss about it for sure.

Its like sure. Have a nice pic of your mom on your phone to remind yourself of her. A pic of her dead in a body bag? Thats some psycho shit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Just look at this thread. Of course people are weirded out by this.
Add me to the list.

How many times has someone you are talking to taken out and shown you a picture of a dead body? Not just a dead body but one in a body bag, who is also their mum, all while they gave you absolutely no warning?

Im willing to bet this thread is the only instance of people here hearing about it and for you to just dismiss it like it’s no big deal seems really strange to me.

You also saying ‘its not a big deal’ is ridiculous too. YOU may feel its no big deal but judging from this thread and my own experiences I would bet most people would think it’s a big deal.

How many times has someone you are talking to taken out and shown you a picture of a dead body? Not just a dead body but one in a body bag, who is also their mum, all while they gave you absolutely no warning?

Im willing to bet this thread is the only instance of people here hearing about it and for you to just dismiss it like it’s no big deal seems really strange to me.

You also saying ‘its not a big deal’ is ridiculous too. YOU may feel its no big deal but judging from this thread and my own experiences I would bet most people would think it’s a big deal.

I'd think it was fucked up but not a matter that needed attention from a third party.

If you don't want to lose your job don't show me a pic of your dead mom

Things normal people don't do at work

1) Talk openly about their kinks
2) Show pics of dead bodies

A safe workplace means being comfortable and not worrying about your cubical getting shot up by the fucked up dude laughing about pics of dead family members.

nero2082

My cousin did the same, but by email. Wanted to show me aunt's heavily damaged body, pics from hospital. He was angry that I wasn't there and that I don't care at all. Wanted a reaction, well he got one, we're not on speaking terms since then, told him he's a fuckin maniac sending this kind of pics to anybody from the family.

I'd think it was fucked up but not a matter that needed attention from a third party.
And what if this is a signal for help from the staff member, should you still not say anything?

Randomly showing people pictures of your dead mum in a body bag with no warning isnt normal and isnt something that should be ignored.

Could it be this person is just clueless of social norms and this is harmless? Of course.
Could it be this person isnt stable in the head and might need help? Possible

If this really is harmless then they wont get into trouble, but at least they will learn that randomly showing people pictures of corpses isnt something you should do.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Swipe Right.

Fuck

mj-laughing.gif

Question: Did you grow up on rotten.com and ogrish? If you're the kind of person who doesn't blink at the people dying subreddit then sure whatever the hell point you're trying to get across is a normal mindset to have but for people who don't get off on seeing dead people on the daily it's a little bit weird to say the least.

Question: Did you grow up on rotten.com and ogrish? If you're the kind of person who doesn't blink at the people dying subreddit then sure whatever the hell point you're trying to get across is a normal mindset to have but for people who don't get off on seeing dead people on the daily it's a little bit weird to say the least.

Not at all. I don't like gore stuff. I wouldn't be overjoyed to see some person's mother's corpse but at the same time it's not going to affect me to the extent that would feel the need to 'take it further'. It wouldn't even occur to me to do that

Top Bottom