• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
Are Nintendo fans worsers than Sony and Microsoft fans?

Fans that aren't critical are enablers, so we have a fair share of them in all bases. But Nintendo's​ track record of being completely out of touch with the modern gaming is worrisome, they have made excuses for omitting industry standards for online/infrastructure for years, how much of that has to do with thier fanbase not being vocal about thier decisions? I do think some of that is down to fans allowing them to pull all sorts of terrible practices. MS swiftly changed thier strategy due to fan anger, Sony did too regarding PSN being more like X360, there's continues updates to the system partly driven by an active and vocal fanbase not sure if Nintendo facilitate that, not sure why Nintendo fans don't demand that.

Guardians

Banned
Do we still wait and see before we get annoyed that we have to pay a monthly fee for this?

This is just fucking goofy.

Also fuck modern iPhones?

Good thing hot spot is wireless.

But not everywhere is a hotspot, I believe that Nintendo implemented the Phone so that you can play and chat online everywhere, even where no hotspot is :)

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Oh don't you dare ... i can easily blame Nintendo instead , with a plethora of solutions more fitting .

Just admit the truth to yourself already . They have issues when it come to software and online features , wich would be ok ... everyone not Microsoft (or Steam) did , and still does .. it takes time when you only used to deal with hardware and pure gaming . Just look at Sony ... Except that Ninty here often hide their failures , struggles and slow reactivity on those matters ... behind a wall of "think of the children" BS excuses ..

And some of their most dedicated fans , just lap it up , cause they want to believe i guess

Xater

This is actually making me consider if I should even get Splatoon. I am really not looking forward to this hassle just to have voice chat with my friends.

KbiG5xl.png

LMAO

But not everywhere is a hotspot, I believe that Nintendo implemented the Phone so that you can play and chat online everywhere, even where no hotspot is :)

I don't understand why you keep saying this. You can make your phone a hotspot regardless, and then connect your switch to it. Why does the chat audio need to go through it as well. You've provided no logical reason why, only smiley faces.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can you remove the mic from the headset, btw?

Amir0x

Banned
Remarkable. I cant even say they are living in the past. They are innovating in the sheer batshit insane category.

Xater

Just keep using discord or skype like usual.

That is not better! I still need to use my phone or computer. On top of that you can't have game sound and chat in your headset. Unless you still do this dumb cable management solution Hori came up with. Just think for a second how that is still stupid.

Guardians

Banned
You are not getting an internet connection through the audio cable. That's not how it works lol

Right :D Now I understand :) Than they do this because they need to get the audio to the smartphone ;) And because the Switch has no microphone they do this through the cable :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This was about as horrible as I expected it to be. Love the actual design tho. Would like to see a wireless option. As it is, this looks way too clunky - seems to be another Circle Pad Pro situation.

NSESN

I don't care if it was just goofy or hard to set up. I don't care.
But just let me use my Switch without a cellphone. There is no reason not.

Bazry

This surely is aimed at the Japan market where people want to voice chat out and about in handheld mode, the diagram in the OP in no way seems to suggest it would be used for sitting at home with the controller in your hand

That is not better! I still need to use my phone or computer. On top of that you can't have game sound and chat in your headset. Unless you still do this dumb cable management solution Hori came up with. Just think for a second how that is still stupid.

I ain't saying it isn't dumb, but if you're gonna be playing with your friends over the internet anyways, might as well just use the third party voice chat like people did for the first splatoon.

Darko

This is probly just for third party headsets right? does nintendo even allow third partys to use wireless?

:(

Guardians

Banned
I don't understand why you keep saying this. You can make your phone a hotspot regardless, and then connect your switch to it. Why does the chat audio need to go through it as well. You've provided no logical reason why, only smiley faces.

You're right :) I didn't realised until a few minutes ago that the cable is just for the audio and not the wireless hotspot connection from the switch to the phone :)

nynt9

This is absolute garbage and I hope Nintendo keep getting roasted because of this. I hate that Nintendo can do shit like this but get away with it because people like their games. This would be a deal breaker for many other companies.

I just realized the other day that the switch doesn't seem to support Bluetooth headsets. Why?!?!?

No, you were not answering diplomatically, you simply made baseless assumption. I don't care, what stuff you own, but just bashing people is not cool and doesn't help the conversation. It's just a way to feel superior to those "poor Nintendo-fans, who don't know better".

Some people maybe don't have a problem with this, but they are clearly the minority in this regards even between Nintendo Fans.

Another one with a superior complex.

You seem to be taking this very personally. There does seem to be a defense force for Nintendo, look within this thread itself and you'll see some posts. Maybe the guy you're talking to has gone overboard but there also have been man you posts in defense of Nintendo going overboard. Why not call them out as well?

Metal B

Fans that aren't critical are enablers, so we have a fair share of them in all bases. But Nintendo's​ track record of being completely out of touch with the modern gaming is worrisome, they have made excuses for omitting industry standards for online/infrastructure for years, how much of that has to do with thier fanbase not being vocal about thier decisions? I do think some of that is down to fans allowing them to pull all sorts of terrible practices. MS swiftly changed thier strategy due to fan anger, Sony did too regarding PSN being more like X360, there's continues updates to the system partly driven by an active and vocal fanbase not sure if Nintendo facilitate that, not sure why Nintendo fans don't demand that.
This is completely ignoring a lot of great and modern features, which Nintendo enabled with their products. The reason many people are disappointed (including myself) with their voice-chat solutions, is because they were making a lot of good decision. This is sadly a big step back again.
Also the news just came out an hour ago and Nintendo didn't even announce it. Maybe you and other should give Nintendo Fans time to react and get the complete message.

Also another person i can add to my list of people with a superior complex.

RRockman

Banned
so, how many people are gonna sell their Switches over this?

remember that voting with your wallet is the only way to make Nintendo listen.

And Miss ARMS and Smash switch? Have you lost your mind?!? :eek:

Wouldn't it be better to not pay for the online instead?

Xater

I ain't saying it isn't dumb, but if you're gonna be playing with your friends over the internet anyways, might as well just use the third party voice chat like people did for the first splatoon.

Nah Id rather not do it at all then. It's too much of a hassle. This shit has been figured out for well over a decade.

faint.

Has anyone defended this yet? I really, really want to hear their opinion.

I can see myself using this in handheld mode, but there's gotta be another solution for docked mode, right Nintendo? Right?

They're saving the LE Spla2oon 3.5 mm extender for E3. Only $39.99.

Mihos

Gold Member
99% of americans are going to be pumping the game audio through their tv and have earbuds/speaker on their phone for discord/skype/etc if they use voice chat at all

this is just an accessory to ease things up on players who are already well accustomed to playing with a set of earbuds for voip on phone or laptop and over ear for controller audio on the wii u gamepad / dualshock 4 / etc

Guess I am the 1%

Kthulhu

Are Nintendo fans worsers than Sony and Microsoft fans?

I'd say the only thing worse than a Nintendo fanboy are the Microsoft fanboys that defended DRM.

Edit: and Sony fanboys that defended Sony not allowing mods on Bethesda games.

Edit 2: actually all fanboys are about as equally terrible. It just depends on what they're defending.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So not only at one department a group came up with the idea and said "okay this is great" but higher ups at NCL actually approved it.. I mean how? legitimately askign here. I have a Switch, Nintendo doesn't have to sell me on the console anymore but seriously no one at NCL atleast suggest to look at the competition?

Kaizer

Banned
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Shiggy

Right :D Now I understand :) Than they do this because they need to get the audio to the smartphone ;) And because the Switch has no microphone they do this through the cable :)

Yes, and it would be much easier to get the in-game audio directly and the voice chat through the Switch. Why is there any need for a separate app? The solution presented here needs is rather cumbersome as it requires an additional adapter and more cables, and is kinda annoying to use (you have to handle two devices at once).

Just making everything available through the Switch is a much simpler and the more obvious solution. Both at home and on the go. But not for Nintendo. If there's no WiFi or hotspot available, you cannot use voice chat or online play anyway.

Darko

New iphones have to use an additional adapter to even do this smh.. i cant belive this is real in 2017

Keyouta

This is horrible, please just make voice chat available through the console. How does something like this allow us to avoid bulky "gamer" headsets anyway?

And then what if you had a phone with no headphone jack lol. Cables galore.

Edit: how would this work docked? Let's say my cable on my headset is not long enough to reach the console from the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom