• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This is all-time top tier NeoGaf post right there! Brilliant job!

Yeah, it really encapsulates what NeoGAF has become lately. Or maybe GAF has always been a circlejerk meme-factory for console warrior nerds. I dunno.

OT: That's a goofy headset and I can see myself trying that setup approximately zero times.

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo
Jesus I can't tell what's satire anymore, I cringed reading this bullshit excuse.

Nintendo has three different and better ways of doing this. Enable audio thru usc-c and sell a cheap dongle,bluetooth or headphone jack but this is the solution they came up with.

FinalAres

If Nintendo would sell condoms:

Free_Condom.jpg

Nintendo fans:
"I pull out anyway!"

Its because their condoms are family orientated.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nintendo isn't referring people to some 3rd party app like Discord if they want to use voice chat. Instead, Nintendo's launching its very own chat app on iOS/Android. So, if people get harassed when using Nintendo's app it'd still be on Nintendo.

Or in other words: The idea that Switch has no built in voice chat due to concerns kids could get harassed is quite simple non-sense. After all, Nintendo is still very much offering and publishing its very own chat solution. Whether or not it's on smartphones or on their console is of no importance when it's still Nintendo publishing it.
Its a joke based on a reasoning why the voice chat isnt being on the system itself :p :) The post that i quoted said "the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids". Then saying that Nintendo didnt want to be responsible for their users, making it sounds that they're not allowing voice chat directly through the system to avoid being responsible.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If you have to use a phone anyway, why wouldn't you just use Skype and bypass Nintendo's voicechat altogether?

Unbelievably silly in this day & age.

mindsale

Are Nintendo fans worsers than Sony and Microsoft fans?

I think a lot of the really vocal Nintendo enthusiasts who apologize for everything simply don't own rival platforms so they don't have a good grasp of proper infrastructure or genre advancements. That's why when Nintendo does anything contemporary, they're heaped with praise.

Consider this: Whenever the Switch gets a four year old game ported to it, there's a thread - Is ______ The Best Game Ever? Is ______ A Perfect Game?

Start the massive backlash train now

Or just use Discord and a wireless headset

How they fuck did they think this was a good idea

Xater

Nintendo has three different and better ways of doing this. Enable audio thru usc-c and sell a cheap dongle,bluetooth or headphone jack but this is the solution they came up with.

But none of that is a possible solution if voice chat is an app only thing.

mrk8885

Banned
I know discord / Skype is a chat option...but that doesn't help those of us who like to play at times when we need a headset for game audio too. Almost all my game time with my friends is at night when wife is sleeping. So I need my headset for game audio and chat capability. And my "clunky" Astro headset handles all the audio from my tv without changing any cords (use my tvs optical audio out to the receiver; anything I'm doing including watching tv sends audio to my headset) and then to change which system I'm chatting on (something I almost never do since I mostly chat PS4) I move one USB cable.

One headset. Multiple systems. More functionality. That's not clunky at all.

Now if I wanna chat with my buddies and play switch at night, I'll apparently need this dumb setup and maybe Even a different headset ... or i to the discord route. Except if I'm chatting on discord with a Bluetooth headset....how am I also listening to game audio at night? With a second headset on my head?

Bad move.

Shiggy

How would your solution look like for on the go online play and chat? I'm really interested :)

Plug the headset into the Switch 3.5mm port and have voice chat through that; connect the Switch to a WiFi network or hotspot.

It's quite a bit more simple, right?

Seik

Banned
How would your solution look like for on the go online play and chat? I'm really interested :)

You plug your headset into only the Switch, like ANY fucking device out there, and boom, voice and sound.

having to plug your headset in both your phone and Switch is mindblowingly dumb and over complicated, zero ergonomy.

I suppose people here would call me a Sony guy; it was stupid as hell for them not to include a 4K Blu-ray player on the PS4 Pro even though I don't have a 4K TV.

Your turn.
All I was saying is that I don't care about voice chat. I know others do.

Not all comments speak for everyone.

The bottom line is that Splatoon is still going to sell well despite what appears to be a poor voice chat solution.

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Uh thats the most bs reason for this. You can put parental controls on a console that would just disable chat completely and only reactivate it with said parental control lock if you wan to prevent children from talking to people.

Additionally having the phone be the voice chat doesn't remove any of the problems you've mentioned..

their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

How does putting the chat in a smartphone app stop racism or swearing?

Calling Nintendo a family oriented company is also at this point just not their demographics. They can pretend to be family oriented, but they are just hurting themselves.

They know and have publicly stated who owns a Switch:

Metal B

I think a lot of the really vocal Nintendo enthusiasts who apologize for everything simply don't own rival platforms so they don't have a good grasp of proper infrastructure or genre advancements. That's why when Nintendo does anything contemporary, they're heaped with praise.

Consider this: Whenever the Switch gets a four year old game ported to it, there's a thread - Is ______ The Best Game Ever? Is ______ A Perfect Game?
Well, here is another person, who loves to feel superior. Why is this kind of bashing not bannable on Neogaf?

Update the Switch to allow phone tethering so I can just hear both in a headset.

And what if you wanna play online at the same time but not through your phone?
No, this is a really simple solution. I have dozens of audio adapters that I can use to recreate this. It's just an audio mixer (granted with 4-pole cable on one side)

And extention cables are really cheap.

Guardians

Banned
Plug the headset into the Switch 3.5mm port and have voice chat through that; connect the Switch to a WiFi network or hotspot.

It's quite a bit more simple, right?

Yes :) But not everywhere is a hotspot, and that's why I believe Nintendo included the Phone connection :)

jorgejjvr

I don't think this is right. I'll be waiting for the official app reveal and more information. It should be connected to the phone or the switch, depending if you are playing on TV or handheld, not both

mindsale

Well, here is another person, who loves to feel superior. Why is this kind of bashing not bannable on Neogaf?

I was answering a question diplomatically.

I own a Switch, a One, a PS4. I'm platform agnostic. I'm opinionated on those who may not be.

Yah I won't be using this. I haven't used voice chat in a good long while though and thank God for that. This doesn't look great. I even have that nice gold headset for my PS4 but have used it only a handful of times, so thankfully I'll never engage.

Bring back Wii Speak!

Guardians

Banned
You plug your headset into only the Switch, like ANY fucking device out there, and boom, voice and sound.

having to plug your headset in both your phone and Switch is mindblowingly dumb and over complicated, zero ergonomy.

But you need the Smartphone for the Hotspot to play and chat online?

EVH

Yes :) But not everywhere is a hotspot, and that's why I believe Nintendo included the Phone connection :)

Do you even realize that you don't need that fucking weird setup? That you could just skip forcing the phone app and everything would be simple and follow the standards?

Jesus christ and you will still think you're giving a clever answer because you put two fucking smiling faces.

Xater

What? If your phone is a hotspot, you could still just connect your headset to the Switch. It doesn't have to be connected through the phone. This is just a stupid convoluted thing Nintendo came up with. Just don't fucking make voice chat an app on the phone!

Kayant

😂😂😂😂😂 Hey he never said their solution wasn't going to be clunky.

use your fucking tv speakers if its 10 feet away because its clearly a fucking tv at that range??
I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.
Ha this is what I like to see.

ZeoVGM

Banned

This is complete nonsense. There were an incredibly small number of incidents in Japan in regard to Swapnote. Yes, those people are pure trash. No, it's not reasonable to kill an entire messaging program because a minuscule number of people did terrible things with it.

Parental controls exist for a reason.

Imagine if Sony took the messaging feature out of PS4 because someone got arrested for sending inappropriate messages to a minor. We all know that would never happen because it's ridiculous. Every single communication tool in the world can be abused.

And this idea about Nintendo being family-oriented and needing to protect the children is played out. Children are playing Xbox and PlayStation more than they play Nintendo consoles. They can message each other, use voice chat, there are cameras for the consoles. And it is the parents job to set up appropriate parental controls and watch what their children are doing.

There is no possible way to defend this. The single logical decision is to offer the type of modern communication system that have been a default feature in game consoles for 10+ years now.

Metal B

I was answering a question diplomatically.
I own a Switch, a One, a PS4. I'm platform agnostic. I'm opinionated on those who may not be.
No, you were not answering diplomatically, you simply made baseless assumption. I don't care, what stuff you own, but just bashing people is not cool and doesn't help the conversation. It's just a way to feel superior to those "poor Nintendo-fans, who don't know better".

Some people maybe don't have a problem with this, but they are clearly the minority in this regards even between Nintendo Fans.

Yes, I think Nintendo fans are the worst cause they are used to getting shit on, they feel really defensive about their glorious switch.
Another one with a superior complex.

Patch13

Dawww. It's shaped like an Inkling!

That said, the lack of voice chat in Nintendo games has kind of been a perk for me. The lack of easy push-to-talk defaults on consoles makes PS4 games a hellscape of background noise and unneeded insights into loud parent child negotiations regarding game time rules. The fact that you have to opt in, and can opt out by just yanking a cable is ... beautiful. I know that I'm in the minority here, of course :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you have to use a phone anyway, why wouldn't you just use Skype and bypass Nintendo's voicechat altogether?

Unbelievably silly in this day & age.

Using Skype/discord means you have to do party creation twice - connect up with your friends in game and then in your voice chat app of choice.

Using the Nintendo app I assume will allow you to voice chat with the people you're playing with.

One question that does pop up from that is whether Nintendo has a 'party chat' solution. Are you able to speak to friends A,B and C while playing with other randoms, or are you limited to chatting with the same people you're matched up with in each game?

As for why - my guess is technical limitations. Maybe including voice chat would have required reserving another CPU core or more memory and they didn't want to do that?

_Legacy_

This is quite possibly the silliest thing I have ever seen Nintendo do. What the actual fuck, I have zero interest in the Switch but this is just daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom