• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCobra

"lol you guys are just salty lmao"

Am I doing this thing right?

After further inspection this won't be something that will bother me as I cannot see myself using voicechat with strangers at all. For things I would like to do with those rare friends of mine who actually own a Switch I'd likely use discord or whatsapp calls or something like that.
I can see why some are ridiculing this or are disappointed though, this solution does not belong in 2017.

MattAces

Just use discord on the phone and ignore this crap.

GG

The main problem is not really about the app itself since we haven't seen it. It's more of getting game audio and voice chat audio at the same time. If you plan on using discord, you might as well just use the nintendo chat app, no differences at all since you already paid it for the online play.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why work like this? Let's be clear here:

This Hori product is a hack for something Nintendo doesn't actually care that you do.

They don't think you need in-game audio headphones that also allow chat. Switch doesn't allow this. But Hori has offered a hack.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose a headphone lack on the left/1st joycon would serve most situations, assuming you don't need multiple joycon users to have in-game chat. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess what I'm thinking of then is a lot of "waggle" games like Arms, 12Switch etc where this wouldn't work that well.
Bluetooth would be the proper method, but then again I think I read Bluetooth can only do so many connections, and they're taken up by the multiplayer-via-Joycon stuff.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.

giphy.gif

You know it's OK to admit that something is bad even though you like the console. Nintendo won't come and take your Switch away if you dare to say that their new idea isn't a good one.

JP

Damn, that's amazing. I hate to say it but, classic Nintendo. Does this mean that iPhone users will have to buy a second phone?

Ultimately, at the end of the day, Splatoon became a very popular game — one of the Wii U's rare successes — without any voice chat at all. I personally couldn't give a shit about voice chat and will be buying the sequel.

The "but you're paying Nintendo a subscription for a bad voice chat setup" argument isn't entirely accurate: we'll be paying for a number of things, not just voice chat.

I never use voice chat but I pay for Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus to play online. I'll be doing the same here.

Wil348

Isn't this just sone Hori accessory though? I'm sure Nintendo's actual solution is to just use your phone (which is still stupid but it sure as hell isnt as stupid as this).

The Switch 3.5mm jack supports microphones. It's just that Nintendo decided to implement voice chat via a smartphone app instead of the game system.

And this is always the real kicker too.

Well, that buggers that theory then, and makes Nintendo's decision all the more baffling. It's not like voice chat has a noticeable impact on the CPU in pretty much every other noticeable system, right?

Shiggy

Isn't this just sone Hori accessory though? I'm sure Nintendo's actual solution is to just use your phone (which is still stupid but it sure as hell isnt as stupid as this).

It's as official as it gets for a third party accessory:
seal_new.png

MattAces

Ultimately, at the end of the day, Splatoon became a very popular game — one of the Wii U's rare successes — without any voice chat at all. I personally couldn't give a shit about voice chat and will be buying the sequel.

The "but you're paying Nintendo a subscription for a bad voice chat setup" argument isn't entirely accurate: we'll be paying for a number of things, not just voice chat.

I never use voice chat but I pay for Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus to play online. I'll be doing the same here.

Good for you, but others will want to use it. Now I know that most people here probably don't even own a Switch yet they are jumping on the hate train because they are standing up for others, but a lot of people actually has a switch and they want a proper party voice chat system. It's not a special feature or whatever, it's a very common feature for any devices today.

boiled goose

good with gravy

This is the solution for getting chat and game audio on a single headset.

There's no other ssolution for that from Nintendo.

Eumi

But picture this: there exist people who actually would like to use voice chat.

EVH

Well, that buggers that theory then, and makes Nintendo's decision all the more baffling. It's not like voice chat has a noticeable impact on the CPU in pretty much every other noticeable system, right?

Metroid Hunters in DS had voice chat during the waiting rooms. Actually, that game is still nowadays the most advanced regarding online capabilities that Nintendo ever pulled out, and was developed by Nintendo America, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the people saying "I don't voice chat because of strangers" I guess you still play with friends online?

An ingenious solution to a problem which didn't exist in the first place. The Nintendo philosophy.

Looking forward to some Dorito Pope / Reggienator grillings at E3!

Spy

I suppose people here would call me a Sony guy; it was stupid as hell for them not to include a 4K Blu-ray player on the PS4 Pro even though I don't have a 4K TV.

Your turn.

m00h

Banned
O M FUCKING GEE

What a great 2017 solution.

We also need something like this for the Switch:
s-l225.jpg

Would love to watch some good old analog TV on the go.

Jacobson

Dear god this is horrible. Good thing I'm not planning on playing online multiplayer on the switch that would need voice chat.

ianpm31

Because Nintendo fans will give them a pass for anything. I don't care how much I like a product or company, if they do something stupid, I'm calling them out or voting with my wallet.

Pretty much. Nintendo can do no wrong

SgtCobra

People are complaining,.. but the fact is that thing is going to be sold out in two minutes is Japan and is going to be a trend accessorie over there.
But what does that have to do with people over here finding this "solution" to be backwards and clumsy?

FinalAres

Make it so that the phone app can sync with the Switch so I don't have to use a weird dongle for my headphones, clearly.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but this is what I thought the app would do. I was expecting Nintendo to make people eat their words with something that was actually a really clever way of doing voice chat.

And the reason I thought that wasn't because I love Nintendo, its because they've got such a bad reputation for online that I thought they must surely want to fix that.

"Nintendo just doesn't do online well" is a weird defence I've heard so much, as if because they're consistently bad at it, that somehow makes it better than if they'd just dropped the ball once.

Takat

Will you be able to just put the Smartphone on speaker and just have that? I donno, that's such a mess.

Guardians

Banned
This is as official as it gets. At home, you can just use the TV speakers and the phone speaker simultaneously if you don't like the solution suggested by Nintendo and HORI here. If there was voice chat through the main system, then this solution here would also not be necessary on the go.

Thanks :) As I said, I don't know what Nintendo's official solution will be for at home, but whatever it is, I wait for an official announcement from Nintendo. And if it's not better than this on the go solution, than I start bitching about Nintendo. But not one minute earlier ;)

Garou

Will you be able to just put the Smartphone on speaker and just have that? I donno, that's such a mess.

Sure, the solution in the OP is complicated because the game-audio needs to get to the headphones.

In theory you can use any Bluetooth-microphone with your phone and be completely wireless for voice chat.

Deku Tree

Why isn't Nintendo including voice chat in the Switch? Is it battery life? Or is it something about keeping Small children off of voice chat? Or what is it?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thanks :) As I said, I don't know what Nintendo's official solution will be for at home, but whatever it is, I wait for an official announcement from Nintendo. And if it's not better than this on the go solution, than I start bitching about Nintendo. But not one minute earlier ;)
What are you waiting for? Their solution has been stated. You have a smartphone on your table/lap in front of you. That's the solution.

Vuze

Unless Nintendo goes out of their way to block audio output via the phone speaker (who knows at this point - it could in some way or another protect the children, some ppl in this thread might suggest), that should indeed be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom