• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardians

Banned
Yo, they already have a pretty decent parental control on the Switch, this shit is overkill.
Just have one headphone with mic for wireless match, done.

They need the Smartphone for the Hotspot, with this setup you're able to play online when you're on the road ;)

jts

...hate me...
So there will be a cable going to my switch.
A cable going to my iPhone.
A lightning cable to charge my iPhone.
And then of course a USB-C cable that is charging the Switch itself.

lol, insanity.

And this is handheld mode. Not even sure how TV mode would work at all...

With a 3.5mm audio cable 10ft extender.

Say thanks to the fuckers at Dena that destroyed the console OS so they could get their way and make it in mobile, and Nintendo for letting them do this shit and probably liking the idea.

Atrocious and horrendous. Are they even public chats during the games or you inly still talk with friends?
Dont buy this shit people, skype an discord is perfectly able of this with less hassle and less money wasted.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Jofamo

Yeah let's all ignore the only sane question in this thread yall..

Ffs

We have no idea what the Nintendo App looks like, or how it functions. What we do know is that it does more than just voice chat. It also manages partys and game invites. There's one reason to use it over something like Skype or Discord.

But we need to wait and see.

Zoon

Yeah, this is exactly what people predicted and feared. Next iteration of switch shouldn't have a touch screen. Everyone has a touch screen based device at their home. Might as well use that. Paid online services by a serious company in 2017, a complete joke.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There may be solutions, but this shouldn't need one
Sure but as botched as the friendcode system is right now anyways.

Id rather use one of those programms and call up my friends and decide on chat what game to play.
Who the hell doesnt have a smartphone these days?

Its the same shit all over again with the no netflix browser thing on the switch.

Vuze

I really don't get the hate.
Just use skype/discord/whatsapp
Oh yeah and meanwhile keep paying up for that sweet online service fee ("It's so cheap and great value!") - part of which is the voice chat feature.

I swear, Nintendo fanboys are the worst. How can you outright defend shit like this.

E-phonk

Banned
I'll wait to complain until I see Nintendo's own solution instead of Hori's.

That said, I rarely use voicechat - only with Heroes of the Storm and even there I had to use an external application (although I think they have in game voice chat now).

are you sure that its BOTH smartphone AND the switch? this would be ridiculous
If I understand it correctly: switch to get the in game music/sounds - smartphone for the actual voice chatting. It's a very dirty solution for sure.

massoluk

Banned
I can see the chat coming from smartphone be applicable for game that support split screen online multiplayer though.

Bluth54

Jesus Nintendo the way you have to hook up the headset is even stupider than I even though was possible based on the original information we got.
And there are already people in this thread defending this stupidity.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
But that could change in due time.

Voice chat could have multiple inputs if Nintendo wants to implement it.

That very very wishful thinking. They've been very clear about chat being a smartphone app at this time. You're basically saying they could change their mind about their entire online system one day. I hope they do but at this time I don't see it happening and they're directly claiming it won't happen

Chao

This is vomit inducing, such a regressive expectation that allows Nintendo to pull this kind of stuff

Wow this is completely stupid no one could defen...

Well there it is. The delusion of Nintendo fans.

Hahahahahaahahahaha

That reaction was expected. You act as if playing ANY game online doesn't consist of racist kids yelling nigg*r and fagg*t.

No, neither Sony or Microsoft have a solution for this other than "report", I've been called everything on online games, so don't be all like "but I don't have any issues! parental control exists!" Yeah, so what? They're useless.

It sucks for users, yes, big time, but what should they do? And again, don't mention PSN o Xbox live because that wouldn't fix their problem at all.

If very little amount of people buy this shit they will recapacitate. The only way to change their ways is hurting their pocket.

Theres no reason to criticise on some forums and then buy it becuase "the splatoon headset looks cool" or "they forced me to chat"
Theres no forcing anyone here, go on diacord, skype or anything free people.

Id rather use one of those programms and call up my friends and decide on chat what game to play.

Its the same shit all over again with the no netflix brower thing on the switch.
It's not the same thing; there's no way to mix game and voice audio, and without this dongle, no way around that.

"lol guys i dont see the problem you can just invite everyone to you home and speak in person"

Seriously, the way some people try to defend this shit is just hilarious.
We're in 2017, this is a modern gaming device, I can use Skype or whatever shit I like, but I shouldn't have to and that's not even the problem if you read the op.

wrowa

I'll wait to complain until I see Nintendo's own solution instead of Hori's.

That said, I rarely use voicechat - only with Heroes of the Storm and even there I had to use an external application (although I think they have in game voice chat now).

This is an officially licensed product. There likely won't be a Nintendo-made solution to the sound mixing problem, that's why a company like Hori fills the gap.

Nessus

I don't get how this saves them any money/makes any of this easier for them.

They still have to host servers don't they? It doesn't matter if it's a phone or a console that connects to their service, that still costs them bandwidth.

And if the phone app voice chat is peer to peer... why not just do that through the console?

And why the hell did they get rid of one of the only near-universally praised aspects of Wii U's online implementation (Miiverse) and then decide to start charging a monthly fee for what seems like is going to be a considerably more bare bones service?

They need the Smartphone for the Hotspot, with this setup you're able to play online when you're on the road ;)
Who the hell is using their phone as a wifi hotspot to play Switch online? It would kill your battery, waste data, and run up your bill. No reason for Nintendo to do this other than their constant need to be different.

Wait so, if I'm out and have my Phone set up as a mobile hotspot to connect my Switch online, can the phone whilst doing that also run the Nintendo app and stream all audio?

I'd imagine so (it doesn't work otherwise) but there's surely going to be a quality loss at one end, right?

AniHawk

But if you want to play Splatoon on the go, the Switch needs to be Online at the same time. And if you want to talk to other people and not have them hear the game sound in the background, you need to have earphones with you.
This setup only gives you the option to play the game and use the voice-chat without headphones at all, which could also be achieved by including a build in mic.

So the reason for this setup is just to:
1. Saving money on a build in mic.
2. Saving battery-lifetime and RAM, since you don't need to have a program running in the background, which handles the voice-chat,
3. Saving bandwidth, since the voice-chat doesn't need to be send through the same network.

A really stupid case of min-maxing ...

i guess the assumption was if everyone has a phone, they'll use the data on the go for a quick game on the internet... and that this would be the best way to save on battery life/bandwidth. but it wasn't made with the us/eu in mind where in the former it's unnecessary and the latter it's really difficult.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That reaction was expected. You act as if playing ANY game online doesn't consist of racist kids yelling nigg*r and fagg*t.

No, neither Sony or Microsoft have a solution for this other than "report", I've been called everything on online games, so don't be all like "but I don't have any issues! parental control exists!" Yeah, so what? They're useless.

It sucks for users, yes, big time, but what should they do? And again, don't mention PSN o Xbox live because that wouldn't fix their problem at all.

I don't even know what your point is because this sucks for users and won't stop ANYTHING you're talking about because even if the solution is this half assed nonsense someone can still do it and shout all of that stuff at people.

Ideally you just use parties with friends so you're talking to them on a system level but considering nintendo is treading on 2005 territory we may get there by 2030.

JordanN

Banned

Keep defending Nintendo's thirst for money.

Their shareholders are loving it.

No one company is the defender of kids.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how this saves them any money/makes any of this easier for them.

They still have to host servers don't they? It doesn't matter if it's a phone or a console that connects to their service, that still costs them bandwidth.

And if the phone app voice chat is peer to peer... why not just do that through the console?

And why the hell did they get rid of one of the only near-universally praised aspects of Wii U's online implementation (Miiverse) and then decide to start charging a monthly fee for what seems like is going to be a considerably more bare bones service?

My theory is that Nintendo have totally outsourced online to DeNa which is why it's 100% mobile. I don't think Nintendo themselves are hosting the Switch online structure at all. This explains why even Nintendo's old online systems from the Wii U aren't available on the Switch

TBH this is genuinely amusing. I like my Switch but I can't see myself using voice chat much in any case so this doesn't really affect me. I'm certainly not going to be bothering with this shabby rigmarole so will very much be enjoying seeing how this farce plays out.

I've always said it. I love Nintendo games but as a company they are an unremitting set of cunts who lurch from disaster to success and back again due to their throwing-darts-blindfold approach to strategy. The only two constants are a) making great games and b) trying to fuck over everybody at any opportunity.

Its the same shit all over again with the no netflix browser thing on the switch.

Many people don't, actually. Or many people don't want to use their smartphone for that application. Or many simply want Nintendo to go along with the set standard we've had for years that's much, much easier than this abomination.

I can't believe some of you spend actual time running a defense force when you aren't getting paid for it.

Welp there goes any chance of big shooters like CoD ever coming to the platform.

What am I saying... They weren't coming anyway.

Atheerios

Wait so, if I'm out and have my Phone set up as a mobile hotspot to connect my Switch online, can the phone whilst doing that also run the Nintendo app and stream all audio?

I'd imagine so (it doesn't work otherwise) but there's surely going to be a quality loss at one end, right?

Your phone will only output the chat audio, not the game audio.

I love Miiverse but Miiverse wasn't universally praised at all, and also it's still only a yearly fee.

eoa-swam

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Don't defend Nintendo for bad decisions. The 'kid friendly' concept is always pushed out but they need to remember there are a LOT of over 18's who would like to play Nintendo games without some arse backwards system to do so.

Just give an 'opt out' of all of their over anxious kid friendly parental controls when you first get a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom