• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal B

not being able to plug into the switch directly doesn't make much sense, but the phone hookup seems to me to be a way to create internet gameplay on the go. Like with a lot of things, this feels geared more towards japan.
But if you want to play Splatoon on the go, the Switch needs to be Online at the same time. And if you want to talk to other people and not have them hear the game sound in the background, you need to have earphones with you.
This setup only gives you the option to play the game and use the voice-chat without headphones at all, which could also be achieved by including a build in mic.

So the reason for this setup is just to:
1. Saving money on a build in mic.
2. Saving battery-lifetime and RAM, since you don't need to have a program running in the background, which handles the voice-chat,
3. Saving bandwidth, since the voice-chat doesn't need to be send through the same network.

A really stupid case of min-maxing ...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.

Embarrassing. Neither accurate historically or the same as this situation in the first place.

This is weird, why do you need a smart device to use voice chat? Doesn't the Switch have the capability to handle voice chat and game audio simultaneously?

massoluk

Banned
Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Yo, they already have a pretty decent parental control on the Switch, this shit is overkill.
Just have one headphone with mic for wireless match, done.

I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.

I'm so happy Nintendo has joined us here in the year 2005.

/s

At the very least, are those headsets in-game gear? Cause they look pretty sweet.

I'll just play the switch with discord like I always do.

I clearly said it wasn't ideal. You've brushed over that. But I don't think there are many people who don't have their phones with them most of the time.
Your post is complete nonsense. You're talking shite about something that released 12 years ago and is the reason music and chat output together nowadays.

It's not "not ideal" it's completely stupid and your weird defence is more of a damnation than defence.

jeenaudx

Banned
It's nice your complaining and all but as long as you keep buying their consoles Nintendo won't care what you want.If you don't like it don't buy it

That's so crazy.
Who would even buy that headset?
It looks so lame. Gosh, so bad.
Is there even a release date yet for it in the US?
You know, just to laugh more about it.
And not buy it. Cause it's lame.

>.>

Bowl0l

Did the XBox360 requires a smartphone for voice chat?

This continues to be by far the dumbest Nintendo thing they've done with the Switch.
In retrospect, all the other complaints have amounted to overblown nonsense.

This, however, is just plain dumb. No way around it.

Thankfully, Bluetooth headset support and voice chat can still be implemented on all existing Switches to fix it.

Atheerios

It's nice your complaining and all but as long as you keep buying their consoles Nintendo won't care what you want.If you don't like it don't buy it

Well, the games are still excellent, not buying it only because of that would be dumb. The online subscription though...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My god, that's going to be a 70 dollar package isn't it

We have the option to turn it off at a system level on every other platform so, yes?

This is absolute lunacy.
I really don't get the hate.
Just use skype/discord/whatsapp

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chao's post is going to be used as a meme in other threads, I'm so sure it's going to happen rotfl.

Hori's solution gives a fairly negative first impression for sure, given the cumbersomeness. Still, I'm interested in trying the Nintendo online setup (the app will also be used for organisation / groups for matches, it's not just for the voice chat). I've always thought Splatoon 2 would've been the best game to launch the free trial with, and this headpoone launching on the same day as S2 kind of confirms it. We should get more details during this month, hopefully quite a bit better than the headpoone.

Mesoian

Don't get it twisted, Splatoon is going to suffer dearly due to this. We live in a world where the best selling cellphone in the world doesn't have a headphone jack. Why would anyone even consider paying for this hack job of an online service? Nintendo wants MONEY for this!

You're forgetting the point where Nintendo is charging money annually for this.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
It makes more sense to start a Party chat on PS4 or XBL and have your friends join on there then play on the Switch (unless you are not home, i guess)

99% of americans are going to be pumping the game audio through their tv and have earbuds/speaker on their phone for discord/skype/etc if they use voice chat at all

this is just an accessory to ease things up on players who are already well accustomed to playing with a set of earbuds for voip on phone or laptop and over ear for controller audio on the wii u gamepad / dualshock 4 / etc

use your fucking tv speakers if its 10 feet away because its clearly a fucking tv at that range??

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Literally the best fanbase a company can have

Thankfully, Bluetooth headset support and voice chat can still be implemented on all existing Switches to fix it.

Can it? I know that the Switch has bluetooth but there must be a reason why they haven't enabled paring with headsets.

DoubleYou

So there will be a cable going to my switch.
A cable going to my iPhone.
A lightning cable to charge my iPhone.
And then of course a USB-C cable that is charging the Switch itself.

lol, insanity.

And this is handheld mode. Not even sure how TV mode would work at all...

deleted

We know. It does not make sense as every other console that has ever had voice chat did not need this bullshit. There will be no wireless as there is no wireless on the switch. Bluetooth headphones don't work.

PS4 / XB1 all sound can come through from the one output.

Yet I hope - there are a few things still missing from the OS, I'm speculating that this is one of them. Hopefully. There shouldn't be a problem with patching that in in theory.

So far this doesn't seem like a great solution though.

Something like this seems like a better one:
Bluetooth Transmitter
Depending on the audio lag this might introduce of course and you'd need a bluetooth headset that can put two audio signals through at the same time.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Can it thought? The chat audio only comes from the phone app. Bluetooth wouldn't change that

Wiggy

giphy.gif

Say thanks to the fuckers at Dena that destroyed the console OS so they could get their way and make it in mobile, and Nintendo for letting them do this shit and probably liking the idea.

Atrocious and horrendous. Are they even public chats during the games or you inly still talk with friends?
Dont buy this shit people, skype an discord is perfectly able of this with less hassle and less money wasted.

Protome

The hate is aimed at you not being able to easily mix chat and game audio easily. Using Skype/Discord/Whatsapp changes literally nothing about this system and I'm honestly not sure what you meant by that?

killatopak

That's so crazy.
Who would even buy that headset?
It looks so lame. Gosh, so bad.
Is there even a release date yet for it in the US?
You know, just to laugh more about it.
And not buy it. Cause it's lame.

>.>

The headset is fine. It's the weird squid converter that's not.

Holy shit this is bad. Like really really bad. I was putting out hope that they saw the intense backlash from when they put out the info about the app, but nope.

It's incredible that they do this. Sometimes I wonder if they messed up and forgot to put a mic-in in the jack on the console?

Why are you definding this shit? Nintendo themselves has had voice chat with game sound since the damn DS. It's not 2005 anymore.

lol.

Meanwhile, I use voice chat without anything attached to my controller, phone, or head. It's called Kinect and it's the only thing that piece of hardware is now good for.

Anticol

Banned
More accessories, great. Let's see the stand which is just plastic and pretty much nothing else is $90, this will be around $70/80? not including headphones obviously.

panda-zebra

Think how handy it will be though when you're playing online multiplayer, chatting with your friends and you get a phone call - you won't even have to take off that bulky headset and can take the call while still listening to game audio. Innovative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom