• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh Aonuma just admitted Wii U GamePad disrupts gameplay...

Neiteio

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired
Difference with Star Fox Zero is you can still see where you're going on either screen because each has a viewpoint of the action.

Jumeira

Banned
Gamers knew this since day one. It wasn't an acceptable form control, contributed towards general apathy towards the Wii U. It's hook, seemed obtrusive.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think something is being misread in all this, anyway. A map is still on the GamePad, I'm sure, but a short-range minimap (and the scope function for setting waypoint markers) is on the main screen.

The Gamerpad screen only showed player hints while playing the E3 demo. No map.

Bishop89

Well he is right.

It wasn't a ds/3ds where both screens are right next to each other, needing to move your head. Only eyes

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Playing on the TV is cool, and playing on the gamepad is cool. However, there are rarely times when using the gamepad and TV together is anything more then mildly useful.

and if nx has a screen on controller again?

I thought it worked perfectly fine for games like Wind Waker. Made Zelda games a lot more enjoyable imo making the inventory and map much more convenient to use.

Gamepad isn't always a bad thing or a distraction. In the way it was implemented in star fox, that's a different story

I hate the gamepad. I think the concept has potential, but it was never realized and the execution was completely botched. Huge, hefty, low-res. Clunky OS.

But the absolute worst thing about it is that the battery life is absolute shit. And it dies when the system is turned off! So many times I've turned on the system to find the gamepad dead or dying...

Guh.

While I don't hate the gamepad, the rest is unfortunatelying true

Wasn't he all lovey dovey about it when it came to the OOT/MM/WW/SS remasters? Seems odd to shit on it now unless he's just using it as cover for dropping those features to make porting to the NX simpler.

Actually no, I don't remember this. There was no SS remaster, OoT and MM were on 3DS where the screen location offset is pretty much a constant, and while all the rereleases got the new features advertised I don't remember Aonuma claiming it was a lifesaver or anything.

Aunoma said:
You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!

giphy.gif

JABEE

So the NX will not have this problem? He makes it sound like it.

I don't know how many people will buy WiiU Zelda vs NX Zelda. I still don't really understand promoting the game on a console that may be discontinued by the time NX actually launches.

I guess Nintendo wants to make sure they support their platforms.

When I first saw that tablet thing in Zelda Wind of the Wild, I was afraid that it meant the NX would have a tablet controller.

PKrockin

If Wonderful 101 combat works just fine with using the gamepad for actual combat techniques I'm sure Zelda could handle basic item switching when needed. Most of the time for these things you don't actually need to look at the gamepad to use touch screens. People's weird view of the gamepad reminds me of the people who think you had to stand up to use the wiimote and nunchuk.

I'll always take quick live functions over frequently pausing gameplay.
I found that W101 works much better with the stick, not to mention the game goes into ultra slo-mo when you start drawing.

When you're trying to select from similar-looking items in a menu that's constantly shuffling the order around due to items breaking and being collected, you need to pause or go into slo-mo to navigate it. It's not Monster Hunter where I've long since preset my lifepowders as a nice large white bag-shaped icon on the far right side of the screen, where I can hit them on reflex or glance 1 inch down and see them instantly if need be.

Having to look down at the gamepad in most applications is about as fun as switching the TV to another input. Hang on gotta change to HDMI2 to access my inventory, better point the stick in random directions and hope the enemy isn't beating the shit out of me too badly while I'm flying blind.

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired
I think they've known all along. What a joke of a concept. It just stinks of Nintendo not knowing what to do after Wii and sticking a tablet on the controller probably thinking they can ride the tablet wave.

The Gamerpad screen only showed player hints while playing the E3 demo. No map.

That might be something specific to the E3 build, though, where time is short, eyes are all on the main display, and button mappings need to be clear at a glance to someone with no manual and zero experience with the game. I can't imagine we're in for a DKCTF scenario where in the final product there's nothing on the GamePad at all. I expect we'll end up with something like WWHD.

What we can be reasonably assured of is that we won't have any GamePad-dependent items or player actions like how TP (Wii) and SS relied on features specific to the Wiimote. And that's fine. I like the GamePad quite a bit, but like every oddball Nintendo interface, I don't see why people expect that it has to do either everything or nothing in every game to have a purpose at all. Its purpose is versatility, and suitability to a whole range of functions that are critical to some titles and completely optional in others. What players dislike, I think, is when it feels "forced"—when it's required for a function for which there isn't a good mechanical reason for it to be required, like the second-screen interiors in W101. That's flatly not the case with second-screen interface enhancements like maps and inventory, which are the very definition of things that are very nice to have but not required—which is why an implementation like WWHD's was such a perfect compromise, whether you loved the GamePad or hated it.

Neiteio

I would be kind of surprised if a Zelda game featuring a tablet-like item (the Sheikah Slate) didn't use the tablet-like controller.

That being said, I'm fine playing Zelda BotW entirely on the TV.

Guess what? It will. They are porting Mario Maker. Wii U bc is going to be important for the early library since so few people have bought a Wii U and it will be new software for them

That doesn't make sense though. If they were porting it to NX wouldn't that indicate that it doesn't have BC? Otherwise why would they port it instead of just using the the Wii U version.

bachikarn

I never understood the love for a map being on the gamepad. Seemed like at best a minor improvement. Don't see how pausing the screen to look at the map is any worse. So I complpetely agree with Aonuma in that respected.

kunonabi

Actually no, I don't remember this. There was no SS remaster, OoT and MM were on 3DS where the screen location offset is pretty much a constant, and while all the rereleases got the new features advertised I don't remember Aonuma claiming it was a lifesaver or anything.

Whoops, I meant TP. The gamepad was heavily touted for making
WW more playable.

Stick controls were way too slow for W101 for me. It was much faster to just swipe with the thumb.

Chaos17

I mean Wind Waker on Wii U does an excellent job with inventory and map. Gamepad use is also excellent with the probes in Xenoblade. I think it really depends on how you designate the gamepad.

I think so too.
I will miss that feauture a bit and specialy the off-tv option.
I liked to play in my bed >.>

bachikarn

It's nice to see that people at Nintendo finally saying the Wii U Gamepad was a mistake.

I really do wonder who was the driving force behind the Wii U Gamepad. No one has gone out and made claim to inventing it.

It was Iwata. I mean, he might not have literally been the guy who came up with the idea, but he clearly believed in it. The thing is that I don't think the primary focus was supposed to be for gameplay. It was supposed to be for Off-TV play.

Iwata talked at a GDC before they announced the Wii U about the issues of having the primary TV being occupied and thus kids not being able to play the console. The GamePad and Off-TV play was supposed to address that issue. The problem is that it isn't really a problem in the West. Most people have multiple TVs. In Japan, where I believe it is a bigger issue, it wasn't a big enough selling point when most gamers have handhelds anyway to solve that problem.

I thought it worked perfectly fine for games like Wind Waker. Made Zelda games a lot more enjoyable imo making the inventory and map much more convenient to use.

Gamepad isn't always a bad thing or a distraction. In the way it was implemented in star fox, that's a different story

The thing is, it simply doesn't justify itself for its price matched with functionality of showing a @#$%@#$ map.

"Let's put a paddle onto DualShock 5." "But why?" "Since, if the player buys Pong or Tempest clone, it controls well better with the paddle." "Ohhhh, this is a good idea."

bman94

It's not the first time a developer making a Nintendo exclusive title said something along the lines of this. The leads on Bayonetta and Devil's Third said this too. Some games the Gamepad works really well for some don't.

jwillenn

Yeah, just please bring on Mote & Chuk NX.

Left Side of Gamepad = Chuk NX
Right Side of Gamepad = Mote NX

completely wireless with enhanced precision/accuracy on the "Point & Motion" front, reduction of flaws, and concealable side connectors for attachment

Left + Right Attached = Pro Controller NX

Left + Center (Handheld NX Without Controller Attachments SKU) + Right Attached = Gamepad NX = Full Handheld Gaming System that can also work as a controller for the home console

Eusis

To be fair, the GamePad benefitted ZombiU, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, & the Zelda HD remakes.
Mario Maker was practically a creation tool that needed something like a tablet, and the rest used motion controls as their greatest asset. I'm hoping Nintendo keeps pushing that path and perhaps even gets third parties to seriously use it on Nintendo and Sony platforms, even pushing for Microsoft to more widely use it and on Steam native Steam Controller support being more common.

But that's been the secret greatest addition for aiming and has been largely ignored due to Wii stigma and Microsoft being bullish on adding motion control to controllers.

I don't think we're on the same page concerning whether we're talking about (a) maps of the area that you're moving around, like your current room in a dungeon or (b) actual game menus, including the world map. The first of these, we now know, will be on the main screen (and only the main screen). The second of these, I would be very surprised not to have available on the GamePad in some form by the time we get to the final build.

You don't look down at your GPS, but you don't pause the world while driving either.

Randomizer

From one of Gaf's most hated to most loved over night lmao. I've always like him, he made Majora's Mask after all. The best thing about the gamepad is offscreen play. But it is so weak it won't even reach my bedroom.

I never understood the love for a map being on the gamepad. Seemed like at best a minor improvement. Don't see how pausing the screen to look at the map is any worse. So I complpetely agree with Aonuma in that respected.

This is a very per-person thing it appears. There is a bunch of GAF members that like these features while for me pressing a button is a way more natural way to do this sort of stuff within a context of a game already mostly controlled with buttons.

Why are people bringing up gyro aiming? Why do people ALWAYS bring up gyro aiming? The PS4 controller has a gyro perfect for gyro aiming. You don't have to look at it...it doesn't even have a screen. Gyro aiming does not necessitate or validate the gamepad.

One of the best uses of the gamepad is WWHD because it's all ancillary and never required. IT's fine in that sense but the more you force it the worse it is.

This.
People just making excuses for Nintendo's poor design decisions.

Spoiler: He is saying this because they needed to have a reason they stripped out all the Gamepad stuff.

If it were still there, he would be talking about how it makes a better experience.

Galang

Banned
He phrased it perfectly. Surprised he even admitted this.. though I guess it is just for this game he's referring too

Spoiler: He is saying this because they needed to have a reason they stripped out all the Gamepad stuff.

If it were still there, he would be talking about how it makes a better experience.
Yeah, I call BS on this.
Especially for Zelda which has great second screen benefits and this seems like a lazy excuse to not include it on the Wii U version despite it clearly being built around it

Why are people bringing up gyro aiming? Why do people ALWAYS bring up gyro aiming? The PS4 controller has a gyro perfect for gyro aiming. You don't have to look at it...it doesn't even have a screen. Gyro aiming does not necessitate or validate the gamepad.

One of the best uses of the gamepad is WWHD because it's all ancillary and never required. IT's fine in that sense but the more you force it the worse it is.

You're absolutely right.

I'll be very sad if NX doesn't utilize a gyro.

ASIS

Wasn't he all lovey dovey about it when it came to the OOT/MM/WW/SS remasters? Seems odd to shit on it now unless he's just using it as cover for dropping those features to make porting to the NX simpler.

The thing is, dual screens make so much more sense on a handheld. And even though people maybe against the second screen on the DS, hardly anyone would call it distracting.

I always thought the main point of the gamepad screen was for off tv play and multiplayer. The whole single player thing isn't all that to be honest.

Star Fox Zero was great though, I'll give them that.

Davey Cakes

I mean Wind Waker on Wii U does an excellent job with inventory and map. Gamepad use is also excellent with the probes in Xenoblade. I think it really depends on how you designate the gamepad.
Pretty simply this. Context is important. The Gamepad is great when utilized smartly. Same could've been said for the Wiimote and motion controls/IR. Some games made the whole thing look like a mistake. Some games were a bit too gimmicky or shoehorned the tech in. Others got it just right.

The problem with the Gamepad is that it's a required component. So when it's not put to the best use and people are forced to use it, they get very vocal.

All that said, I love how people use the statement as vindication of their dislike of the Gamepad. Laughable that Star Fox comes up almost immediately as well. That game wouldn't exist without Miyamoto's desire to experiment with the tech that Nintendo championed for this console. Get over it.

Top Bottom